Discussion - Sort By Tags

• Level 5*

We are seeing issue/request posts for "Sort  by Tags"   
Since notes can be assigned multiple tags, the point is actually "Sort by first tag"   
which is controlled by prefixing specific tags with a special character

Why is this sort important for your workflow - what's the use case?
Are there alternatives since this option is not supported in the Version 10 product?

• Thanks 1

Thank you for starting this topic.

As for your first question: For my workflow it is CRUCIAL. Evernote legacy sorts the tags WITHIN the tags colomn an sort-of-alphabet, at least consistent. After that Evernote legacy sorts the rows in the view on the Tags column. Effectively it doesn't sort on FIRST tag by that, but also on SECOND tag, when first is the same, and so on. See here for my details: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/129388-using-the-new-evernote-10-for-gtdtsw-workflow/   an example of my needing the sorting by tags IN a single tags field and sorting rows by those tags fields:

image.png.2d7bb7ab67d3d9481346ac16c21e6ccb.png

The above view is a result of one of my 100 saved searches,which give me instant view of relevant items sorted by time/GTD priority. Above is a result of the following saved search:

image.thumb.png.036135960ad35533f608df7e57818f03.png

As for your second question: I have not found alternatives in Evernote 10, except using Legacy. 😞

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MvdH said:

Effectively it doesn't sort on FIRST tag by that, but also on SECOND tag, when first is the same, and so on.

Good point

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, MvdH said:

items sorted by time/GTD priority

I also use Evernote for task management, stored as individual project and task notes

It's not completely clear what your !.n tags are, but I gather it's date related   444866539_ScreenShot2020-11-27at09_43_05.png.bd0886efcd8367a423aab459159fc2bd.png
Personally, I sort on due date; stored in the Reminder feature 

The Reminder feature also supports non-dated items
I use this for active Next Actions

I still have a problem with priorities
Currently I red flag items tagged Important/Urgent (Eisenhower matrix)

As I mentioned in your other post,  I don't limit myself to Evernote's presentation of data   
The note-list paradigm is just too constricting

For presentation, I take my data to spreadsheets    
My GTD spreadsheet displays the data in a gantt timeline view; sorted by date

On 11/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, DTLow said:

It's not completely clear what your !.n tags are, but I gather it's date related   444866539_ScreenShot2020-11-27at09_43_05.png.bd0886efcd8367a423aab459159fc2bd.png

Hi DTLow: doesn't this force you to give, and above all, update continuously, a due date to every note?

Thank you,
Daniele (looking for a workaround to the main feature IMHO of Evernote: sorting by tags)
GTD and TSW user

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, daudaxx said:

doesn't this force you to give, and above all, update continuously, a due date to every note?

No, most of my Next-Action tasks have no due date; (undated Reminder)
For example, a Current Task List can be generated by saved search      
    reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*       

(all reminders     exclude future dated  exclude completed)

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

No, most of my Next-Action tasks have no due date; flagged as an undated Reminder
For example, a Current Task List can be generated by saved search      
    reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*       

(all reminders     exclude future dated  exclude completed)

So, they are not sorted, right?

• Level 5*
43 minutes ago, daudaxx said:

So, they are not sorted, right?

I actually sort by due date (ReminderTime)    
Undated tasks sort at the top of the list

On 11/27/2020 at 6:56 PM, DTLow said:

..It's not completely clear what your !.n tags are, but I gather it's date related   444866539_ScreenShot2020-11-27at09_43_05.png.bd0886efcd8367a423aab459159fc2bd.png

For presentation, I take my data to spreadsheets    
My GTD spreadsheet displays the data in a gantt timeline view; sorted by date

For me classic EverNote is PERFECT. Costs me no overhead, change/find tags like a ninja, etc.. The !.n tags are indeed time related. 
image.png.0118e9fe08677e2b40f63e985e18f67b.png

Day is meant to be done today. Week is reviewed once a day, and I promote items to today or some other time if needed. Month due in 30 days and reviewed once a week, year is due in 366 days and reviewed once every month. Touch means "on agenda next time I talk to this person, team, project, etc." Busy means in progress elsewhere. Waiting is reviewed once a week and waiting for action by someone else. Parked is not active, to be chosen later for example. Options in a project, or unused resources, idea's, etc..  Reference is read-only information/sources related to that project/team/item/person. Archive is fully done and normally not to be seen. My 100 filters exclude all Archived items.

I used to use due dates and such, but my work as a COO/CEO is so dynamic/rich in chage, with over 100 running projects within ~10 teams and/or ~26 people, that I now only work sorted on priority/bucket, nog actual dates. I like you presentation/Gantt idea, but for me the data changes too much, on an hourly base.

• Like 1

I use Evernote to run my GTD processes, and have done so for the past 10 years. Without the ability to sort by tags, it is pretty much useless to me. I tag based on priority, without due/reminder dates, and sort these stacks daily/weekly/monthly. I use a search to present my daily p1 thru p3 list, and sort by tag so I can easily see the p1's then p2's then p3's in order.

I have a ton of stuff in Evernote, and love the tool, but if I can't find a way to sort by tags, I will have to find something else that can do both the helpful tagged storage and the GTD support.

• Like 2

Hi there,

Evernote is easy then other one. Because Evernote provide you color tags not just simple tags and using this color tag you can identify each and every topic, link and related to your topic.

So my point of view you should use evernote tags by giving them colors.

Thank You.

• 4 weeks later...

Sort by tag is critical. There's an entire GTD-related website that teaches (for free) how to set up Evernote to work with GTD. Surely the Evernote team knows this and is in touch with its customers at this level. This is an old question and you've still not restored it so I assume you're telling all the GTD people to use another product. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I would like to support the argument that "sort by tag" is crucial. Either sort by first tag, then sort by second tag etc, or simply sort by first tag while individual tags are sorted alphabetically within the note.
I am continuously surprised by the number of features missing in the new version, and how buggy this version is.

Thanks Lazyboy42 - a decent interim solution, but still has me concerned and looking for a replacement GTD implementation as the install said the legacy app would be supported "for now". Surely Evernote can see that taking simple functionality away as they evolve the product is going to undermine their support. What else will they be deprecating over time?

• 3 weeks later...

As others have said, this feature is needed in our GTD systems we have been using for years. Sort by tags allows me to instantly re-prioritize tasks and update status.  The current sort by last edited is annoying.   I run my entire department on my company in Evernote, 5 users with Business accounts.  I love Evernote and it's ability to delegate tasks with notes (background info) but will have to find a different solution if this feature can't be restored.  For now I'll be following others and downgrading to legacy.  Please fix this!