The "Delete notebook" button option is greyed out (disabled) on mac desktop client - why can't I delete a notebook?

Go to solution Solved by AkmalF,

Hi, I am using the Evernote Mac client v 10.3.7 build 2018 public.

I can't seem to delete a notebook - the "Delete notebook" button is available not disabled/greyed out. See attached image.

There are no Notes in this Notebook, and there are no Notes in Trash. This Evernote account is not being synced across other devices. I am using the free tier (Basic) subscription.

I am sure this is something simple that I have missed - hoping someone can help me?

Pasted_Image_24_11_20__8_54_PM.jpg

• Solution

Found the solution myself. Turns out there is a "Set as default notebook" option in the menu, and the notebook that is currently set as the default is disabled from being deleted. So, select another notebook from your account and set it as the default. Now you are able to delete the previous notebook.

Some feedback for Evernote: if only there was some indication (either in the menu options, or somewhere in the Notebook list view, or anywhere else for that matter) which indicated that "This notebook is set as the default notebook" it would have really helped. Otherwise, the only way I could have found out that this feature even existed is by looking at other notebooks' menu options which does give me the "Set as default notebook" button, but this button does not even show on the notebook which is already set as default. Poor UX. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Level 5*
On 11/23/2020 at 11:59 PM, AkmalF said:

I can't seem to delete a notebook - the "Delete notebook" button is available not disabled/greyed out.

Is that your default notebook?   
All accounts must have at least one notebook, and a notebook specified as default

• 1 year later...

I just had the same issue and thankfully I found this post. This really should be addressed by Evernote. A simple message informing the user why they can't delete the notebook should be included. It's absolutely ridiculous that we should have to search on the Internet for something that could be addressed so easily programatically.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:32 AM, AkmalF said:

Found the solution myself. Turns out there is a "Set as default notebook" option in the menu, and the notebook that is currently set as the default is disabled from being deleted. So, select another notebook from your account and set it as the default. Now you are able to delete the previous notebook.

Some feedback for Evernote: if only there was some indication (either in the menu options, or somewhere in the Notebook list view, or anywhere else for that matter) which indicated that "This notebook is set as the default notebook" it would have really helped. Otherwise, the only way I could have found out that this feature even existed is by looking at other notebooks' menu options which does give me the "Set as default notebook" button, but this button does not even show on the notebook which is already set as default. Poor UX. 

Thank you so much, you've been so helpful!