How to click on a tag and not all of its subtags

Hello, I'm experiencing an issue since upgrading to the new version of Evernote on my Windows laptop. When I click on a tag that has subtags, it automatically filters to notes that have all of the subtags; I can't click on just the main tag. I believe you used to be able to hold shift and click to do this, but that doesn't work anymore. I also thought there was a setting for this but there is nothing to choose under Tools -> Preferences other than saving data at log out. Is there no longer any way to click on a tag that happens to have subtags? 

• Like 1

This set up is mad. Who tags a note wih a tag and every single one of it's sub tags? The possible solutions are:

• Use filter
  • Use search
  • Use the main tag window where there is an option to  "filter without sub tags"
  •  
  • image.png.82ad700a5d5a14941560ea4e1c59477e.png
  • If you only have a couple of sub tags I suppose you could click the main tag and then delete the lozenges of the unwanted tags  in the search results. I sometimes do this when I forget the new behaviour!

It's not nearly as convenient as the old system. It should be easy to change but obviously somebody thinks that you should tag a note with every single sub-tag!

Wow, I was assuming there was a way to do it that I wasn't seeing, not that this is intentional! I'm also struggling to understand how they are thinking that people use sug-tags. Anyway, thanks for the suggested solutions! The filter without subtags is definitely a candidate, but why can't there be a keyboard shortcut for it too?

I'm also thinking that I could turn my existing main tags into sub-tags, and then adding a more general main tag that I won't actually click on. (Sort of like a navigation menu where you can't click on the button itself.) But that is a pretty major work-around so I'll have to think about it first.

1 hour ago, walshand said:

I'm also thinking that I could turn my existing main tags into sub-tags, and then adding a more general main tag that I won't actually click on. (Sort of like a navigation menu where you can't click on the button itself.) But that is a pretty major work-around so I'll have to think about it first.

I've also been thinking about resttructuring my tags but I'm holding off at the moment in the hope that somebody at EN will realise that the current behaviour is unhelpful. Even using an OR logic so that you would find all the notes with at least one of the sub tags would be logical, although not my preferred solution.

• 1 month later...

Same issue for me.

Evernote made parent tags on sidebar completely useless. And now you have to click on Tags section on sidebar first then scroll it and choose a desired tag.

I hope they will fix this issue in the nearest future.

4 minutes ago, TXC said:

Same issue for me.

Evernote made parent tags on sidebar completely useless. And now you have to click on Tags section on sidebar first then scroll it and choose a desired tag.

I hope they will fix this issue in the nearest future.

As outlined in another post this issue has been partially fixed but there appears to be a bug. If you collapse the sidebar (in 10.5.7) clicking a tag selects the single tag and NOT all it's child tags as well. If you don't collapse the sidebar you get all the child tags as well. I can't imagine this is by design so I hope that the desired behaviour is now selecting the single tag.