Paste-and-match-style alternative/standard keystrokes

wabaus

Idea

Could you please reintroduce the MacOS standard shortcut for paste-and-match-style [option-shift-command-v] for Evernote on Mac?

I know that you support the (shorter) alternative [shift-command-v] — but I have many years of finger-muscle memory associated with pasting on a Mac, and it is continually unnerving to hit such a common keyboard shortcut and experience no response.

cf. https://defkey.com/what-means/option-shift-command-v

Thanks.

5 replies to this idea

OMG, WHY did this change? This will drive me absolutely nuts, to have it different from the standard that's used in ALL other apps on my Mac. I CONSTANTLY use the "paste and match style" shortcut in Evernote, to the extent that it is very rare that I do NOT use it, and for some reason Evernote willy-nilly changed it to a non-standard key combination in this new version??  PLEASE PLEASE either change it back to the STANDARD or allow us to set that up in the Preferences!  

This would drive me crazy enough that I'd seriously consider switching to Mac Notes. I have to believe this was a goof rather than an intentional change. 

UPDATE: I found a work-around. You can redefine Evernote's keyboard shortcut to match what it was previously. Open System Preferences, select Keyboard, then Shortcuts. Select App Shortcuts on the left, then hit the + sign to add a new one. Choose Evernote as the target Application, enter "Paste and Match Style" (exactly as written) and press the normal Shift-Option-Cmd-V keystroke. From that point on, that keystroke will do the right thing in Evernote.

• Thanks 1
On 11/24/2020 at 11:44 AM, --phantom-- said:

UPDATE: I found a work-around. You can redefine Evernote's keyboard shortcut to match what it was previously. Open System Preferences, select Keyboard, then Shortcuts. Select App Shortcuts on the left, then hit the + sign to add a new one. Choose Evernote as the target Application, enter "Paste and Match Style" (exactly as written) and press the normal Shift-Option-Cmd-V keystroke. From that point on, that keystroke will do the right thing in Evernote.

Thank you for providing an efficient workaround! The question remains: why would Evernote choose to violate such a widely used standard MacOS shortcut? Now every time I go to a new Mac, I have to change this shortcut, and I should not have to make an extra effort for a program to follow MacOS conventions for widely-used shortcuts! 

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

EN has chosen a set of standard shortcuts, for all clients.

Anybody can change the shortcuts to his liking. I can’t see any need for further action.

The root of the problem is that EN chose a non-standard shorcut for a widely used activity. Option-Shift-Command-V is the widely-adopted MacOS shortcut for "Paste and Match Style" and respected by the following:

• Apple Pages
  • Apple Safari
  • Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft OneNote
  • Apple Notes
  • Apple Mail
  • and many more!

Therefore, EN is an outlier in the MacOS ecosystem when it comes to the default keystrokes for this particular short cut. The legacy version respects this standard, so this is a relatively recent change by EN. Of course anyone can change their shortcuts, but the point of my critique is that the reason for conventions is to reduce the dissonance when shifting between applications and also when moving from one computer to another. EN, by bucking the convention of this commonly used shortcuts, might have made things easier for some users, but they have made things difficult for others. When push comes to shove, the user experience best practice is that widely-used user interface conventions should be respected unless there is a compelling reason to buck the trend. EN did not do that.

• Level 5

The development of the new clients have placed common functions between clients quite at the top of priorities. Who ever used the old clients on different platforms knows why - it was like using a different app on Windows and Mac. With v10 we now have a unified client experience - skipping some platform specific settings.

You can object about this priorities with EN PM, using the feedback function. Personally I don't expect a change away from platform neutrality.