How do I remove items from sidebar

• 2 weeks later...

I see that this is under the iOS thread, but I second this request for Windows users. Clutters the sidebar unnecessarily - could be potentially compromising for privacy reasons, etc.

The whole lesson is that the user interface, as regards the file organization at least, should be eminently editable by the user.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to somehow disable these links from appearing in the sidebar, see screenshot below.

They add visual noise and take up screen real estate when I expand tags or notebooks. Is this possible?

I'm running 10.4.3 on macOS Big Sur.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.20.33 PM.png

• Like 1

I'm using the 'all new' version of Evernote. Is there any way to customize the sidebar like we used to be able to? I want to remove items such as Work Chat and Shared With Me that are of no use to me and only take up space that I can put to better use. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, lissydb1 said:

I'm using the 'all new' version of Evernote. Is there any way to customize the sidebar like we used to be able to? I want to remove items such as Work Chat and Shared With Me that are of no use to me and only take up space that I can put to better use. 

Not AFAIK,  not yet at least.

This would really suck.  I appreciate efforts to add navigation features, and accept that turning the new stuff on by default greatly increases adoption.  But removing this kind of basic customization feels like railroading.  Because of the way I use Evernote and other apps, and how I think about organization, I know for certain that I'm never going to use Shortcuts.  I'm unlikely to use Recent items or Work Chat.  At best, that's clutter that's forcing things that ARE useful to me down the list and out of sight.  It may even be a slight detriment because it's just a bit more cruft. 

This is in addition to a layout that already chubbed up that most valuable vertical space quite a bit with search (which I can live with since it makes sense under the new OS's approach to sidebars) and an almost criminal use of an entire line just for back and forward arrows.  I probably won't use those much, but for god's sake, don't use a whole line.  The arrows don't even belong in the sidebar organizationally.  They'd make much more sense in the header for the note, where there's plenty of space for them.  The help button shouldn't have a whole line in the part of UI most important to organization, either - but I guess they expect a lot of people to want a lot of help.

I use Tags all the time, and almost never "shared with me" or Trash, so why can't I put Tags where it would be useful to me?

So why can't I hide those items I don't want?  I'm so tired of developers taking customization and efficiency away in favor of features that no one asked for.  It feels like such a middle finger. How do I revert?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, Nick Lane said:

Looking to somehow disable these links from appearing in the sidebar, see screenshot below.

They add visual noise and take up screen real estate when I expand tags or notebooks. Is this possible?

I'm running 10.4.3 on macOS Big Sur.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 6.20.33 PM.png

YES PLEASE!!!!!!! I was looking for a way to remove that and it seems it's not an option.

• 1 year later...

Just purchased the latest and greatest and was astonished that this was NOT included. I need to be able to customize that sidebar! For openers, the order in which items are displayed makes using Evernote ten times harder. At LEAST I need the ability to re-order sidebar items. 

Jan

• Level 5

Rearranging the whole sidebar has not been a feature in EN legacy, and it is no feature in the current version. Currently you can decide to show a notes count, and to show or hide the shortcuts section.

If you think you need more settings, use the feedback function or issue a support ticket.

Personally I don't need it, and I think an app can easily do without allowing the users to mess around with every GUI detail. If you want to work on your efficiency of use, I propose to invest some effort into learning keyboard shortcuts instead. This makes using EN 10 times faster, to stay in your pattern of expressing opinions.