Grocery List / Things to Do List

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

For a grocery list, I used to add an item, which created a checkbox on the next line, then I (literally) checked the box (meaning I want to buy it), and then I unchecked the box after the item it is my grocery cart.  Now . . . to add an grocery item, I create the checklist and type the item ("Milk"), and then after I "check" the box (meaning I want to buy "milk"), a line is through "Milk."  A line through the item on a checklist means the item is bought/done/completed.  That is the opposite of why "Milk" was entered on the list.  Hmmm.  I don't know anyone who creates a checklist, places a line through an action item, and then erases the line after the task is completed.  

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Brian242 said:

then I (literally) checked the box (meaning I want to buy it)

I understand your process, but the conventional use is checked means bought/completed    
Maybe to indicate "want to buy" - add a checkbox   
             to reset the shopping list - remove the checkboxes

Well, I think Brian242 isn't unique with his grocery-workflow routine with evernote.
I do just the same since a while, which helps me to absolve the weekly shopping routines rather quick and with less forgotten things.

The advantage of the former easily possible bulleted list with checkboxes (not checklist!) was a pretty good oversight what was left to buy.

I organized the things in prouct groups ordered as I normally walk through the grocery shop, see picture below (in german):

Screenshot_20191227-163554.thumb.png.2ab3453f741c8847b07ef36fb0529dfb.png

I canb combine this with all (internal links to) all recipes I collected and converted to text-based Evernote-notes, where all ingrediaents are organized in similar checkbox-lists:

Screenshot_20191227-163749.png.8c43ac8c703787a197dd5adbcb278430.png

With the new checklists, these lists often are turned into checklists and don't display as helpful as before.

Probably i might change my routine to the newly checklist behavior and check all ingredients out which I needn't buy, but this is more work and doesn't look as clean...

More clarity.  Brian242 has a "master" grocery list, with lots of items on it, some of which we needs to buy.  He syncs the list on his iPhone.  When he wants to buy "milk," he used to place a checkmark beside "Milk."  Under the new formatting, when the checkmark is applied a line is drawn through "Milk."  That makes "Milk" difficult to read.  More to the point, on a list of things to do you do not (well, at least I do not) draw a line through something I need to do.  I draw a line through an item after I have completed it (draw a line through “milk” after you place it in your cart.)  Under the new format, a workaround would be to put a checkmark beside every item on the list, thus creating a line through every item, and then when I need milk, un-check "Milk."  That seems butt backwards from how one uses a list of things to do.          

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Brian242 said:

That seems butt backwards from how one uses a list of things to do.          

I'm wary of using the wrong word here,  but it seems to me that there are two sets of boxes.  One which crosses out the line it's on when crossed,  and another which just shows an 'x' in the box and leaves the line alone.  Surely it's not outside the bounds of human ingenuity to work out which is easier to use as a shopping list?  

Seems to me you'd either use a list of just the items you want to buy and cross them out as you get them,  or have a long standard list and maybe two 'x' boxes for each item;  one cross for items wanted,  and two crosses for items collected.

Seems also to me that Evernote have gone as far as they can to answer all the requests they got for checkboxes that would / would not show items as crossed through when checked.  Up to us users now to decide how to employ them...

It's not a subject of interest for me because 1) I'm not usually allowed to shop without adult supervision and 2) I tend to use a Samsung Note with a hand-scrawled list anyway.

Adding the "box" and an "x in the box [that] leaves the line alone" is called a "Checkbox."  If you create a new Note, add one item using the Checkbox, you can, in fact, remove the "X" and the line remains the same.  But add a second Checkbox and both Checkboxes (as well as however many more you add) convert to a Checklist, which draws a line through the item when you check the box.  For a list that you "check" items you want to do, you get a line drawn through the item when you check the item.  Normally, a line drawn through an item on a list means that task is "done."   Evernote no longer allows users to have a master list of things for which the user checks an item that he/she wishes to do, e.g., a master grocery list, or a master packing list, etc.      

• Level 5*
  • Solution
15 minutes ago, Brian242 said:

But add a second Checkbox and both Checkboxes (as well as however many more you add) convert to a Checklist,

To prevent Evernote interpreting this as a list; insert a space before the checkbox

• Level 5

Personally I use a shopping list app to create my grocery lists.

Simpler to use, has units and quantities, preset content that can be picked by the search function, interface to recipe apps where you select the number of dishes, it calculates quantities and share the ingredient list etc.

Seen in general, with checklists, I like the new design, and especially the strikeout feature. This is cool 😎 

Checkboxes I see as a feature to create nice live forms, for example to be used as templates. Having both IMHO is quite a powerful choice, better than in most other programs (where there is usually only a checklist, or non of both).

• Like 1

DTLow, your workaround worked.  Thanks.  But since now it is not a "list," hitting enter at the end of a line doesn't result in a check box at the beginning of the next line.  Is there a quick way to enter a space followed by a checkbox as you start a line?  Otherwise there are a number of steps necessary every time.

And this workaround seems to only be a partial fix.  Benefit of Evernote lists is syncing between devices.  Your workaround on my PC did not follow through after sync with IOS device.  Problem is unfixed on iPad.  Now what?

I have the same issue.  Use checkboxes for my grocery lists.  Checklists function differently, and now it's constantly trying to change my list of checkboxes into a "checklist" every time I hit carriage return.  Super frustrating.   Hopefully, there's a resolution in a future release. Just adding a space doesn't work for me 😞

For the work around to work, you have to add a space at the beginning of each line before inserting the checkbox. Pain in the butt, but it works.  Now I am having a problem with the font.  I changed the font, in IOS and in PC app, but every time I add something, the new addition defaults to a smaller font.  I can't find anywhere in the new apps to set a default font size.  Anyone?

• 6 months later...