Where is the local Mac data stored in Evernote Mac Version 10.3.7?

There have been previous posts about where Evernote Mac Version 7.x did it's local Mac data storage. What is the new Evernote Mac local data storage location? Has it changed?

The old way of finding the storage location (holding the option key while selecting the Help pulldown from the Menu bar) does not exist in the New Mac 10.3.x version.

Anyone know where the new location is?

• Level 5*

Hi.  No idea where the Mac location is,  but it's not useful information - the database is a temporary file that is not officially available for backups or editing.  You can option to retain it on your local hard drive for offline working,  or allow the app to clear it out when you log off.  To get back to a local database (temporarily) - use the Legacy app which retains full original features.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Jeff Bass said:

Anyone know where the new location is?

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

As per @gazumped - The local database is optional, and only used when offline   
Unsync'd data is now stored in a separate cache

Thanks to both of you, @gazumped & @DTLow

The menu options are different and there are fewer of them in Evernote 10.3.7 on Mac. I found the folder (thanks, @DTLow). It contains lots of subfolders and is clearly not intended for use by users.

In an attempt to see what might change in those folders (without changing anything), I turned of my Mac WiFi and tried to use Evernote offline. When I started Evernote while the Mac was offline, the main screen came up completely blank (just a window frame with absolutely nothing in it). There was no way to "refresh" it. I tried to use the File-->New Note to create a new note. It brought up a completely blank window as well. I waited a long time. Still blank. When I turned WiFi back on, I restarted Evernote on the Mac. The main notes screen is blank. But 2 individual notes screens are open and editable. Evernote Web in my Chrome Browser is OK. I'll leave the Evernote Mac app open for an hour or two to see what happens (that was suggested elsewhere). I do have a lot of notes (11,000) and have been a Premium Evernote user since 2008. This buggy behavior of the Mac app is very troubling. I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline? Or is there some trick to getting it to start up and allow creation of a new note, view the notes list screen, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Jeff Bass said:

I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Likewise for me - Evernote Mac is my primary device and I won't consider committing to the Version 10 product until the work is completed
I recommend using the Legacy product

Thanks again to both of you @DTLow and @gazumped. I was able to download and set up Evernote Legacy.  My local Mac database is where it was supposed to be and it updated quickly. It was SOOOO nice to see the spinning "sync" button again. And to have the File--> Sync and the File--> Save menu choices again. I looked at my Evernote database folder on my Mac and I have 11,000 notes taking up 15GB. I really want my primary Evernote database to be on my Mac with only a Sync copy in the cloud. The new Evernote version is designed around the cloud database being the primary one (and the only complete one). It is not clear if the new Mac 10.3.7 version will even create or edit notes while the Mac is offline. I couldn't get it to. I'll keep using Evernote Legacy until I find an alternative program that keeps my notes and attachments in a complete database on my Mac. Having access to all my notes while not connected to the internet is very important to me. In fact, I'd say it is THE most important feature to me. I've been happy with it that way in Evernote since 2008...

I've been looking at DEVONThink, but it lacks a number of Evernote features I have come to love. And it doesn't have a sync'd cloud database or web access, although it can sync some things to a simpler iOS version. But DEVONThink does keep the primary database on the Mac, which is what I want. I have very rarely used Evernote on the Web and won't miss it much.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

• Like 2
On 11/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, Jeff Bass said:

Thanks to both of you, @gazumped & @DTLow

The menu options are different and there are fewer of them in Evernote 10.3.7 on Mac. I found the folder (thanks, @DTLow). It contains lots of subfolders and is clearly not intended for use by users.

In an attempt to see what might change in those folders (without changing anything), I turned of my Mac WiFi and tried to use Evernote offline. When I started Evernote while the Mac was offline, the main screen came up completely blank (just a window frame with absolutely nothing in it). There was no way to "refresh" it. I tried to use the File-->New Note to create a new note. It brought up a completely blank window as well. I waited a long time. Still blank. When I turned WiFi back on, I restarted Evernote on the Mac. The main notes screen is blank. But 2 individual notes screens are open and editable. Evernote Web in my Chrome Browser is OK. I'll leave the Evernote Mac app open for an hour or two to see what happens (that was suggested elsewhere). I do have a lot of notes (11,000) and have been a Premium Evernote user since 2008. This buggy behavior of the Mac app is very troubling. I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline? Or is there some trick to getting it to start up and allow creation of a new note, view the notes list screen, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

Hi @Jeff Bass, were you able to work offline with the new version? I'm getting the same behavior as you... I can't believe we need to be online to use Evernote, it doesn't make sense! I do lots of work offline...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, lbramos said:

I can't believe we need to be online to use Evernote, it doesn't make sense! I do lots of work offline...

There should be a preference or an option (I believe) to retain a copy of the database when offline - if that is set,  you are - allegedly - able to work offline!

I have that option (in preferences) but If I loose wifi connection and try to create a new note or search the existing ones, it doesn't work. Hope it's something that they're still working on.

• Level 5

To use the new EN client offline, make sure your data is available. This is currently the only check mark in the Mac clients settings. Then make sure you are logged into your account before going offline, and don't shut down your Mac.

This is IMHO not practical at all (just think about air travel, when the device needs to be switched off), but currently this is the way offline works with v10, sort of. For the time being better use the legacy client.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Then make sure you are logged into your account before going offline, and don't shut down your Mac.

Yes, we have to be online to login to our account   (I never sign out)
However there's no problem shutting down the Mac; Evernote runs fine when the Mac is restarted

• Level 5

Sorry, I disagree with the "no problem" verdict.

This is a massive problem, since activated devices are not allowed on several occasions, like passing through security at an airport or in a plane during take off and landing. Many companies do not allow an activated computer to be taken through customs, because they are afraid of data theft. So if you want to travel and work with your EN account, you are in for trouble.

Whoever designed this "offline" concept is not accustomed to air travel abroad and corporate IT regulations. It makes no sense to have the data on the computers memory, but only allow access when connected to the internet at that very moment or shortly before.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, lbramos said:

I have that option (in preferences) but If I loose wifi connection and try to create a new note or search the existing ones, it doesn't work. Hope it's something that they're still working on.

Just tested on my Mac (turned off the Wifi)
No problem creating a note or searching    
I suggest opening a support ticket1567162168_ScreenShot2020-11-24at10_25_13.png.e6d0b867655d229b2aa15ef3701c6fe8.png

@gazumped, thanks, in v 10.3.7, I do have the option set and I can (thanks to earlier helpful posts in this thread) see the 10.3.7 database. The database is present and some of the files have very recent modification dates & times, so it is being updated, at least sometimes. But even with the 10.3.7 local database enabled and (seemingly) updating, I cannot see my main note list (all a bare white window) or start a new note (opens a bare white window). These blank windows have been present since I tried to use v 10.3.7 offline and they are not resolving.

@lbramos, I have tried turning WiFi off and back on, and I have tried rebooting the Mac. I cannot get offline note viewing or offline note creation to work. They both bring up completely blank white windows that don't fill in after more than an hour of waiting. Note viewing and note creation did work fine for me in Mac 10.3.7 app when online, but typing has a big time lag in longer text notes as I noted in this thread: After trying to use v 10.3.7 offline, note viewing and note creation are now not working at all. 

@PinkElephant, offline use that is reliable and fast is very important to me also. I have reverted to Evernote Legacy for my day to day work. It continues to be reliable and fast both online and offline. I still have been unable to use 10.3.7 offline at all. I have tried multiple times with multiple combinations of WiFi on/off, Mac Reboots, etc, etc. This make 10.3.7 unusable for real work for me. So I am using Evernote Legacy for my work and 10.3.7 for testing (on a separate Mac) to allow me to send actionable support tickets to Evernote staff. The worst thing is that 10.3.7 no longer works at all for me after having tried to use it offline. I am trying a fresh copy of Mac version 10.3.7 on a separate Mac.

@DTLow, I am definitely opening a support ticket with logs, etc. I am taking a couple of days to carefully document some of the combinations of WiFi on / off, Mac Rebooting, etc. that I have been trying. Version 10.3.7 was working OK online until I tried to use it offline and it has not worked since, whether online or offline. I am watching the Mac Activity Monitor app; it stays busy whenever I open 10.3.7. One theory (unverified) I have is that it is taking a very long time for my local Mac 10.3.7 database to sync since I had opened it while offline. My next step to test that theory is to leave 10.3.7 open for 24 hours with the blank white notes screen open. As a longtime (since 2008) EN user, I have a large notes database of 15GB with 11,000 notes. One possibility is that the EN developers never tested the new Mac version with a database this large. And it may just need 48 hours to sync a large database. Don't know. Will report back in this thread.

My conclusion is that the Mac 10.3.7 version is unusable and I will continue using Evernote Legacy for work purposes on my Mac. I will continue testing the Mac 10.3.7 version on a different Mac for a few days to get good observations (and log data) to send along with my support ticket. I am an experienced (30 years) Mac and Linux software developer and will be careful to send an actionable support ticket. This software should never have been shipped as production software. It is not production ready. At all. I will report back in this thread in a few days.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 11/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, Jeff Bass said:

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline?

I have tried EN 10.4.3 offline, with partial success:

a) very slow 

b) days delay before a new database was gradually recreated, allowing searching

c) text within attachments no longer searchable (e.g. .pdf, .pages)

Conclusion: designed "features", or bugs? I'll add my comments to the suggestions page and cross my fingers.

BTW V 10.4.3 appears to be faster and more stable than previous V 10 iterations.