Where is the local Mac data stored in Evernote Mac Version 10.3.7 (now10.4.3)?

There have been previous posts about where Evernote Mac Version 7.x did it's local Mac data storage. What is the new Evernote Mac local data storage location? Has it changed?

The old way of finding the storage location (holding the option key while selecting the Help pulldown from the Menu bar) does not exist in the New Mac 10.3.x version.

Anyone know where the new location is?

• Level 5*

Hi.  No idea where the Mac location is,  but it's not useful information - the database is a temporary file that is not officially available for backups or editing.  You can option to retain it on your local hard drive for offline working,  or allow the app to clear it out when you log off.  To get back to a local database (temporarily) - use the Legacy app which retains full original features.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Jeff Bass said:

Anyone know where the new location is?

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

As per @gazumped - The local database is optional, and only used when offline   
Unsync'd data is now stored in a separate cache

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you, @gazumped & @DTLow

The menu options are different and there are fewer of them in Evernote 10.3.7 on Mac. I found the folder (thanks, @DTLow). It contains lots of subfolders and is clearly not intended for use by users.

In an attempt to see what might change in those folders (without changing anything), I turned of my Mac WiFi and tried to use Evernote offline. When I started Evernote while the Mac was offline, the main screen came up completely blank (just a window frame with absolutely nothing in it). There was no way to "refresh" it. I tried to use the File-->New Note to create a new note. It brought up a completely blank window as well. I waited a long time. Still blank. When I turned WiFi back on, I restarted Evernote on the Mac. The main notes screen is blank. But 2 individual notes screens are open and editable. Evernote Web in my Chrome Browser is OK. I'll leave the Evernote Mac app open for an hour or two to see what happens (that was suggested elsewhere). I do have a lot of notes (11,000) and have been a Premium Evernote user since 2008. This buggy behavior of the Mac app is very troubling. I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline? Or is there some trick to getting it to start up and allow creation of a new note, view the notes list screen, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, Jeff Bass said:

I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Likewise for me - Evernote Mac is my primary device and I won't consider committing to the Version 10 product until the work is completed
I recommend using the Legacy product

Thanks again to both of you @DTLow and @gazumped. I was able to download and set up Evernote Legacy.  My local Mac database is where it was supposed to be and it updated quickly. It was SOOOO nice to see the spinning "sync" button again. And to have the File--> Sync and the File--> Save menu choices again. I looked at my Evernote database folder on my Mac and I have 11,000 notes taking up 15GB. I really want my primary Evernote database to be on my Mac with only a Sync copy in the cloud. The new Evernote version is designed around the cloud database being the primary one (and the only complete one). It is not clear if the new Mac 10.3.7 version will even create or edit notes while the Mac is offline. I couldn't get it to. I'll keep using Evernote Legacy until I find an alternative program that keeps my notes and attachments in a complete database on my Mac. Having access to all my notes while not connected to the internet is very important to me. In fact, I'd say it is THE most important feature to me. I've been happy with it that way in Evernote since 2008...

I've been looking at DEVONThink, but it lacks a number of Evernote features I have come to love. And it doesn't have a sync'd cloud database or web access, although it can sync some things to a simpler iOS version. But DEVONThink does keep the primary database on the Mac, which is what I want. I have very rarely used Evernote on the Web and won't miss it much.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

• Like 3
On 11/21/2020 at 7:14 PM, Jeff Bass said:

Thanks to both of you, @gazumped & @DTLow

The menu options are different and there are fewer of them in Evernote 10.3.7 on Mac. I found the folder (thanks, @DTLow). It contains lots of subfolders and is clearly not intended for use by users.

In an attempt to see what might change in those folders (without changing anything), I turned of my Mac WiFi and tried to use Evernote offline. When I started Evernote while the Mac was offline, the main screen came up completely blank (just a window frame with absolutely nothing in it). There was no way to "refresh" it. I tried to use the File-->New Note to create a new note. It brought up a completely blank window as well. I waited a long time. Still blank. When I turned WiFi back on, I restarted Evernote on the Mac. The main notes screen is blank. But 2 individual notes screens are open and editable. Evernote Web in my Chrome Browser is OK. I'll leave the Evernote Mac app open for an hour or two to see what happens (that was suggested elsewhere). I do have a lot of notes (11,000) and have been a Premium Evernote user since 2008. This buggy behavior of the Mac app is very troubling. I realize that I can use Evernote Web and Evernote iOS, but Evernote Mac (the native Mac version) is my main use and very important.

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline? Or is there some trick to getting it to start up and allow creation of a new note, view the notes list screen, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jeff

Hi @Jeff Bass, were you able to work offline with the new version? I'm getting the same behavior as you... I can't believe we need to be online to use Evernote, it doesn't make sense! I do lots of work offline...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, lbramos said:

I can't believe we need to be online to use Evernote, it doesn't make sense! I do lots of work offline...

There should be a preference or an option (I believe) to retain a copy of the database when offline - if that is set,  you are - allegedly - able to work offline!

• Level 5

To use the new EN client offline, make sure your data is available. This is currently the only check mark in the Mac clients settings. Then make sure you are logged into your account before going offline, and don't shut down your Mac.

This is IMHO not practical at all (just think about air travel, when the device needs to be switched off), but currently this is the way offline works with v10, sort of. For the time being better use the legacy client.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Then make sure you are logged into your account before going offline, and don't shut down your Mac.

Yes, we have to be online to login to our account   (I never sign out)
However there's no problem shutting down the Mac; Evernote runs fine when the Mac is restarted

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Sorry, I disagree with the "no problem" verdict.

This is a massive problem, since activated devices are not allowed on several occasions, like passing through security at an airport or in a plane during take off and landing. Many companies do not allow an activated computer to be taken through customs, because they are afraid of data theft. So if you want to travel and work with your EN account, you are in for trouble.

Whoever designed this "offline" concept is not accustomed to air travel abroad and corporate IT regulations. It makes no sense to have the data on the computers memory, but only allow access when connected to the internet at that very moment or shortly before.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, lbramos said:

I have that option (in preferences) but If I loose wifi connection and try to create a new note or search the existing ones, it doesn't work. Hope it's something that they're still working on.

Just tested on my Mac (turned off the Wifi)
No problem creating a note or searching    
I suggest opening a support ticket1567162168_ScreenShot2020-11-24at10_25_13.png.e6d0b867655d229b2aa15ef3701c6fe8.png

• Like 1

@gazumped, thanks, in v 10.3.7, I do have the option set and I can (thanks to earlier helpful posts in this thread) see the 10.3.7 database. The database is present and some of the files have very recent modification dates & times, so it is being updated, at least sometimes. But even with the 10.3.7 local database enabled and (seemingly) updating, I cannot see my main note list (all a bare white window) or start a new note (opens a bare white window). These blank windows have been present since I tried to use v 10.3.7 offline and they are not resolving.

@lbramos, I have tried turning WiFi off and back on, and I have tried rebooting the Mac. I cannot get offline note viewing or offline note creation to work. They both bring up completely blank white windows that don't fill in after more than an hour of waiting. Note viewing and note creation did work fine for me in Mac 10.3.7 app when online, but typing has a big time lag in longer text notes as I noted in this thread: After trying to use v 10.3.7 offline, note viewing and note creation are now not working at all. 

@PinkElephant, offline use that is reliable and fast is very important to me also. I have reverted to Evernote Legacy for my day to day work. It continues to be reliable and fast both online and offline. I still have been unable to use 10.3.7 offline at all. I have tried multiple times with multiple combinations of WiFi on/off, Mac Reboots, etc, etc. This make 10.3.7 unusable for real work for me. So I am using Evernote Legacy for my work and 10.3.7 for testing (on a separate Mac) to allow me to send actionable support tickets to Evernote staff. The worst thing is that 10.3.7 no longer works at all for me after having tried to use it offline. I am trying a fresh copy of Mac version 10.3.7 on a separate Mac.

@DTLow, I am definitely opening a support ticket with logs, etc. I am taking a couple of days to carefully document some of the combinations of WiFi on / off, Mac Rebooting, etc. that I have been trying. Version 10.3.7 was working OK online until I tried to use it offline and it has not worked since, whether online or offline. I am watching the Mac Activity Monitor app; it stays busy whenever I open 10.3.7. One theory (unverified) I have is that it is taking a very long time for my local Mac 10.3.7 database to sync since I had opened it while offline. My next step to test that theory is to leave 10.3.7 open for 24 hours with the blank white notes screen open. As a longtime (since 2008) EN user, I have a large notes database of 15GB with 11,000 notes. One possibility is that the EN developers never tested the new Mac version with a database this large. And it may just need 48 hours to sync a large database. Don't know. Will report back in this thread.

My conclusion is that the Mac 10.3.7 version is unusable and I will continue using Evernote Legacy for work purposes on my Mac. I will continue testing the Mac 10.3.7 version on a different Mac for a few days to get good observations (and log data) to send along with my support ticket. I am an experienced (30 years) Mac and Linux software developer and will be careful to send an actionable support ticket. This software should never have been shipped as production software. It is not production ready. At all. I will report back in this thread in a few days.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 11/21/2020 at 12:14 PM, Jeff Bass said:

Is it no longer possible to use Evernote on the Mac offline?

I have tried EN 10.4.3 offline, with partial success:

a) very slow 

b) days delay before a new database was gradually recreated, allowing searching

c) text within attachments no longer searchable (e.g. .pdf, .pages)

Conclusion: designed "features", or bugs? I'll add my comments to the suggestions page and cross my fingers.

BTW V 10.4.3 appears to be faster and more stable than previous V 10 iterations.

• Like 1
  • Jeff Bass changed the title to Where is the local Mac data stored in Evernote Mac Version 10.3.7 (now10.4.3)?

I just wanted to update anyone who might be following this post with what I have discovered with offline access in 10.x on Mac since my previous posts.

1. I downloaded a fresh copy of Mac 10.4.3 on another Mac which is running MacOS Catalina 10.15.4.
  2. I got a blank white notes screen, but let if run for a while (overnite). Then, when I quit Evernote and restarted it, my notes were visible, current with my Legacy Evenote version (running on a different Mac) and were available for editing.
  3. I turned WiFi off and was able to see my notes (with the same window message about being offline that @DTLow showed above. I could open notes and edit them OK. When I turned WiFi back on, the notes synced OK and the changes showed up on Evernote Legacy (running on a different Mac) a few minutes later.
  4. Mac EN version 10.4.3 continues to be very slow. Typing new text in long text notes lags by several seconds before my typing appears on the screen.
  5. Mac En version 10.4.3 is noticeably faster (typing, searching, syncing) than 10.3.7 was. But still very slow for typing into larger notes.
  6. I am opening a couple of support tickets to let the EN staff know about the blank white screens and very slow performance related to typing into larger notes and syncing a large (approx 15GB on Mac Legacy) EN database.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, schalliol said:

I'm looking for the local database, and previously this was available when holding the option key down from the Help menu. I no longer can locate this. Does anyone know where it is now?  Thanks!

Version 10 database location is   /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Note: A local database is optional, and used for offline work

Thank you. I had a VERY frustrating issue where I had a great and important meeting where I took tons of note to on my Mac (online and wired Ethernet even) and when I look at note history, there’s no change to the note but the very first line.  I’m really confused and was hoping to find some sort of draft that didn’t sync up :(. I can’t seem to fins anything like that. Had I embedded images, I believe I can see where that content is stored, but I can’t see any text based edits in the files.

Now on super new Evernote 10.4.4 on Mac and trying to back up all notes/notebooks at once like I used to do on the older version.
There is a selection limit of 50 notes in the "All notes" view & Export Notebook only works for one notebook at a time.  
How do I export all notebook at once for back up purposes ?

On the Mac in ~/Library/Containers/ there are now these folders .. which are needed for a data level restore ?

com.evernote.Evernote/                 

com.evernote.Evernote.EvernoteQuickLook/

com.evernote.Evernote.EvernoteSpotlight/

com.evernote.EvernoteHelper/

On 12/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, DTLow said:

Version 10 database location is   /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Note: A local database is optional, and used for offline work

There is no such folder on my Mac. Yes, I have “Save Data at Log Out” selected.

Hi I couldn't locate EN Databases on mac big sur. the premises of the problem are similar I want to eventually migrate everything from EN to  OneNote or Apple Notes Perhaps. Any alternative ways to achieve that goal would be much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem as Gannett.  I can't export all my notes for backup purposes, since I can only select 50 notes at a time.

I'm running 10.6.9-mac-ddl-public (2254)
Editor: v116.1.14913
Service: v1.26.7

Is the 50 note limit a temporary limit as the new version is updated?  Is there another suggested way to make a backup?  I don't know where Evernote stores data on my Mac so that I could rely on Time Machine backups to restore the notes if there is a problem.

• Level 5*
On 12/17/2020 at 7:39 AM, monenik said:

Hi I couldn't locate EN Databases on mac big sur. the premises of the problem are similar I want to eventually migrate everything from EN to  OneNote or Apple Notes Perhaps. Any alternative ways to achieve that goal would be much appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, Martylaw said:

I've read down through the thread.  I'm using Evernote 10.6.9 on Mac, and neither Option + About Evernote, nor Option + Help  work for locating EN files.  Perhaps this has changed yet again?

I've moved your posts to the Version 10 discussion    
You'll find answers in the above posts

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 3:18 AM, JMichaelTX said:

@Pete Blakemore, did you read this just above, and try it on your Mac:

Hi guys,

I tried to follow your suggestions and to find EN database location but I failed. 

There is no such option such (holding Option key): HELP>Troubleshooting >Open Database folder.

This is how it looks on my macOS (Big Sur):

image.png.89602242ac3281ad2346abbf739ddf62.png

I see EN macOS app: v10.16.7. It's the latest version.

I also tried to follow other suggestion by checking /Users/<user account>/Library/Application Support/

There is no folder like Evernote or com.evernote.XXX

Does any1 know where this EN database folder is located?

Thx!

CC @JMichaelTX

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same problem as Pit3r.

No Evernote folder in the Library, no EN database folder anywhere.

I run macOS Big Sur 11.4 and Evernote  10.17.6

Does anyone have other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1489389439_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-14um15_36_29.png.eef29bfe4d60b7e586dd29b53430491a.png

I am an Evernote subscriber for 10 years. When they started to change the great app, I did not listen to the negative comments and was awaiting and giving them the chance to make it better. I did not want all this bells and whistles. And now that I have no control at all about my own Data, I say goodbye - it is a hassle with 10-thousands of notes but most of it I have on older backups which I could import to Synology Notes. Wishing you all the best!

• Level 5*

Just to summarize - AFAIK the database location in v10 will do you no good.  Unless & until Evernote (or other parties) offer some form of backup service, the best option is to install and sync the Legacy app,  then backup from there.  CloudHQ offer a (paid-for) online backup service which should work with v10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 7/14/2021 at 3:37 PM, LStar said:

Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same problem as Pit3r.

No Evernote folder in the Library, no EN database folder anywhere.

I run macOS Big Sur 11.4 and Evernote  10.17.6

Does anyone have other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My data folder is located at

MacHD - user - myuser (pick your Name) - library - group containers - <cryptic prefix>.com.Evernote.evernote 

The size corresponds with my legacy database.

• Like 3

I need space on my hard drive (MacBook Air running Catalina) so that I can upgrade to Big Sur. When I run my hard drive usage it shows Evernote with 2GB of memory usage on my hard drive. Can I move my Evernote files to my external drive? If yes, how? Where are the Evernote files stored? I thought all of my clippings and documents were stored on Evernote's web server.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, staynavytom said:

Where are the Evernote files stored? ... Can I move my Evernote files to my external drive?

I moved your post to the discussion on the storage location      
The location is posted in earlier posts and can not be altered

Be aware, the master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers   
Local storage is optional, and can be disabled in Evernote > Preferences > Save Data

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, staynavytom said:

I need space on my hard drive (MacBook Air running Catalina) so that I can upgrade to Big Sur.

...or you could - at least temporarily - uninstall the app and use the web client?

• Like 1
On 7/18/2021 at 1:44 AM, PinkElephant said:

My data folder is located at

MacHD - user - myuser (pick your Name) - library - group containers - <cryptic prefix>.com.Evernote.evernote 

The size corresponds with my legacy database.

Dear PinkElephant,

hopefully you are my saver !! I searched and searched for the evernote database but due to the "cryptic prefix" I couldn't find it. Now I did !! I still haven't tried if I can retrieve my data, this will probably require some time so I will do it at some point this week. I'll keep you posted. Many many thanks :-))

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, LStar said:

I still haven't tried if I can retrieve my data

The discussion identified the location where Evernote stores the local data copy on a Mac   
This data is used by Evernote when accessed in offline mode (no internet connection)

It's not clear what your expectations are for "retrieve my data"    
I've looked at Evernote's data format, and found in unsuitable for use outside of Evernote

• Like 2
20 hours ago, DTLow said:

The discussion identified the location where Evernote stores the local data copy on a Mac   
This data is used by Evernote when accessed in offline mode (no internet connection)

It's not clear what your expectations are for "retrieve my data"    
I've looked at Evernote's data format, and found in unsuitable for use outside of Evernote

Thanks for your reply DTLow.

My problem is that I've inadvertently deleted few notebooks in Evernote and I am not able to find them anymore, not even in the "deleted folder" in the app. I thought I could go back few days in TimeMachine and try to restore the data from there. And then I couldn't find the Evernote database folder on the Mac. Do you think this wouldn't work to retrieve the notebooks?

Many thanks again in advance.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, LStar said:

I thought I could go back few days in TimeMachine and try to restore the data from there.  ... Do you think this wouldn't work to retrieve the notebooks?

I guess it's worth a try    
You'll be restoring the entire database   
Make sure you're offline  (not connected  to the internet) otherwise the sync process will undo he restore

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I guess it's worth a try    
You'll be restoring the entire database   
Make sure you're offline  (not connected  to the internet) otherwise the sync process will undo he restore

I hope it works, fingers crossed. Thanks again.

• Level 5
5 hours ago, LStar said:

My problem is that I've inadvertently deleted few notebooks in Evernote and I am not able to find them anymore,

EN 10.17.6 files are primarily located in 

yourusername/Library/Application Support/Evernote/

plus a some Caches and Plists located elsewhere. For me, a total of about half a million files—not a single database. Personally, I would not mess with this file structure without input from EN Support!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

My folder rests in a different path, see above.

I doubt it will be possible to retrieve the data this way, but sure you can try.

Unless you actively emptied your trash, or deleted notes from the trash again, the notes will still be there. Deleted notebooks not, these are gone, but all the notes that were IN that notebooks stay in the trash.

They can be reactivated from there.

• Like 1

Dear Forum Members,

today I wanted to try the procedure with restoring data from TimeMachine and..... I've got a surprise. When I opened my Evernote Application on the Mac I noticed that my "deleted items" folder was full, all my disappeared notes from last week were back there !!!

Please do not ask how this happened because is a mystery to me. Due to this, I will try to restore all my notes from here and not from TimeMachine (even when it will take much longer.... ).

In the meanwhile I've also contacted Evernote Support explaining my whole situation but I still haven't heard from them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After some time staying away from v10, I am still on the legacy version. I still need a local DB since internet access is not always available. What is the EN development team thinking? What is the real goal for EN. We are not 'always' connected.

Also EN 10 uses too much of my screen revinue to display all the text of titles. This is way too sad to see this regression in development.

Sometime ago, I had uploade all my PDF's to EN and deleted the origianls, from my 'local drive' (keeping a backup) Bad Idea. Now I have a copy of all my PDF's and use Windows File Explorer to access these. Such a sad way to do, but I can no longer 'trust' EN to keep my data. It is my data you know. 

MS OneNote: I used for many years. The data is stored in a strange format and since I compose documents then copy and paste into an email they sometimes become formated differently. Also, ON can not store PDF's. That is where EN stands out above the rest. Anything from MS is fat and slow. So, I left ON years ago.

So why did EN run in the wrong direction? Apparently didn't really care what their customers need? Well, it is their software. But it is my data. I hate shopping for something else.  So, I have put my 'Trust' elsewhere and not in EN. My precious data will not go to the grave.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, RRB-Texas said:

I still need a local DB since internet access is not always available. What is the EN development team thinking? What is the real goal for EN. We are not 'always' connected.

It's optional, but Evernote continues to maintain a local DB   
We do not have to be 'always' connected

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@RRB-Texas To create the local database, check the option „Keep data on leaving …“ in the apps settings in the Evernote menu.

It will take a while with the app open to download and organize it all, so do it in advance. Unfortunately there is no indicator telling when it is complete.

To use it offline, you must be logged in before. You can quit the app, you can shut the Mac down - but don’t log out of your EN account before doing so.

Given you checked the setting, the download executed and you stay logged in, you can use your EN v10 app while offline.

Here is an official help document about it:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005917

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Mac EN 10.17.8 does work partially offline. Searching is, however, slow, and searching PDFs doesn't work (even though individual PDF notes are still visible). Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature" of EN 10. This severely limits my offline use.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

For me it works, search finds everything offline as well, in pdfs, even in pictures. It nicely places highlights, search in notes is working as well.

There is a difference in the total number of notes found. This happens on all devices, iPhone, iPad and Mac, so I think it is more an issue of the offline search in general than of a specific client.

Support ticket is with tech support, answer is pending.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can use "App Cleaner" (free or premium) to find all the files associated with a given app.

IIRC EN is installed in different places depending on whether it was downloaded from the Apple App store or directly from the EN site. I'm not clear what people want to do with the information, though.

• Like 1

Dear members,

I just wanted to give an update.... after a long week working, I managed to restore my notes from the "deleted items" folder.

Regarding the Evernote Support they were not very helpful, they were giving the same information we already discussed here in the forum. I've now closed the case with them.

Thank you for all your help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, LStar said:

restore my notes from the "deleted items" folder.

This is called the Trash    426267606_ScreenShot2021-08-08at07_00_33.png.3db023741d2ca926ba8b19719ddaef57.png
When notes are deleted (or a notebook deleted); the notes are stored in the Trash     
until the Trash is emptied

Notes in the Trash can be easily restored.
To restore, select the notes and right click

1082987125_ScreenShot2021-08-08at07_07_41.png.a82e8cea495b3097ac938104b5cf16bd.png

• Like 2
  • 5 months later...

SUBJECT: MAC Evernote - CONTENT Folder Location - Local Hard Drive

Over the years, access to the location of the content folder (on my local MAC hard drive) typically required a menu selection in combination with a certain keyboard key. This procedure has constantly changed. With Evernote version 2020, I was able to access the content folder by holding down the (OPTION KEY) while selecting the HELP MENU, then TROUBLESHOOTING, then - OPEN DATABASE FOLDER. The TROUBLESHOOTING menu selection no longer contains the OPEN DATABASE FOLDER option.

I look forward to resolving this issue ASAP.

In advance, thank you for your assistance with this.

COMPUTER SPECIFICATIONS:

macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 -

EVERNOTE VERSION

10.27.5-mac-ddl-public (3122)

Editor: v137.1.17455

Service: v1.44.3

© 2019 - 2022 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Thank you for your response. Greatly appreciated.

I located the Evernote folder, but there is no database folder in that folder.

Can you provide instructions on how to save the current database onto my local hard drive?

• Level 5

Save the whole folder ...

If you activate in the Finder the Size calculation, you will see where the largest folder is. But I would grab the whole /Evernote folder, since probably nobody knows which is which. In the end you could save data, but by a missing key get not access.

As long as I saved the entire EVERNOTE folder contents, I'm assuming that that includes all of my notes and attachments. If there's some other folder that I may have overlooked (outside of the EVERNOTE folder), please let me know.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I used EN for years and am now back as I moved back to Android.  Lots to like in the newer version like better audio and sketching, but the seeming lack of a local Database to be backed up, work offline, and to restore from is concerning.  The clearest answer seems to be Lstar's rather unusual method of restoring: "... after a long week working, I managed to restore my notes from the "deleted items" folder."  In EN 10.4 is there not a stable local database?

Hi and thank you PinkElephant.  So the full EN database is there (after ensuring sync is complete) such that it'll be backed up on time machine and that if some hacker deleted my online data I could restore from the database in time machine (or any other copy of the database)?

• Level 5

The more profane use is to use it when offline (or on a shaky internet connection). The only necessary precondition is that you have been logged in before going offline. The Mac can be switched off, it can have had other uses, whatever - just do not log out of your account when the internet is available.

Just give it a try yourself, by turning off all internet access, then open the EN client.

Personally I use a Mac app called TripMode when traveling. EN does not like it to be on a shaky internet connection, like on a train. TripMode allows to decide app by app if it is allowed to go into the internet, or stay cut off. You can have profiles like „On the train“ with a preset which apps are allowed online, and which are kept offline. So I can use Safari and Mail while traveling, but keep EN offline for the whole journey.

For the rest of it: I have up to now avoided to get myself hacked, so I can’t report about the experience of seeing my data melting in front of my eyes 😎

• Like 1

Thank you for the info and tip, I'll try the app Tripmode. 

I'll also run the offline test which would ensure the local database has been replicated.  That would get backed up to timemachine so good stuff.  Given your response I wonder where the worry came from re databases not being local on the Mac in version 10...

As you seem like an avid user, and I have lots of notes to import, may I ask how you find utilizing the database features of EN?  As in the tags and categorical searches?  I only used EN for notes in the past but a lot of ppl seem to use EN now like a file database or an annotated filesystem, which seems cool and yet quite a different use case.

Thanks!

• Level 5

One of my main uses is to store files, like an ever growing number of recipes, stuff for my tax return, interesting documents, all sort of handbooks and user manuals etc.

If I were you I would explore the use of tags. A note can only be in one single notebook at any time, like a file can only be in one folder on a classical computer drive. So let us say you want it sorted by Supplier, type of doc (invoice), year and open for payment. With a file system, you now have a problem, which usually results in deep tree type structures. Often you touch the file several times, or make duplicates (for example to an Open Invoices folder).

Tags allow to add the same information (and more) independently from each other. You can tag with supplier, suppliers name (may be nested), invoice, year 2022, and Open to signal the payment. You run a saved search on Fridays to get all „Invoice Open“ and make your payments. Then you delete all „Open“ tags from these notes (up to 50 can be selected) and put a „Paid“ Tag instead. This can be done without touching all other tags, or moving the note around.

Another benefit over a file system is that you can add information to a note directly. I just had a recipe and tried it. It came out too sweet for my taste, and my oven seems to have more power than that of the blogger. So I add to the recipe a reduced amount of sugar, and reduce the temperature by a nitch. I write this into the note, not by annotating the original recipe, and add a picture or two helpful if I do it again. A note gives me full flexibility - what I don’t have with saving a file.

To import stuff the new import folders do an excellent job. Set up the folder, link it to a notebook, and now everything you drop into that folder will be converted into a new note. The file name is used as note title.  Just don’t throw hundreds of files at it at once, do it in reasonable chunks, and wait for import and sync to happen before adding the next batch.

You can even set up several import folders, each one to a different notebook. This feature was only available for Windows with legacy and added to the Mac client with v10 - great !

• Like 1

Im trying to follow this thread to answer one simple question.   i want to verify that all my evernote data is indeed stored locally on my mac

but i dont find any find any evernote folder anywhere.   I am running Monterey Macos.      

Can someone tell me where I should see this (rather large) folder?

On Monterey I found two Evernote folders both under: username->library->containers.  However, if you can work with Evernote offline (I've not tried) and it can load all data, then there is a local database.  I'd like more clarity backing up to/from a local database as well.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, NealO said:

then there is a local database.

Hi.  AFAIK there is an Evernote-readable database at the location mentioned.  It's not officially available to users for any purpose and (again,  AFAIK) it's not possible to compare it with any other source.  "Official" backups involve exporting notebooks by download to ENEX files.

Thanks, yes I 'm not trying to query EN's local database directly, but how exactly can one "restore" using the EN client?  Let's say your running computer gets stolen and someone deletes all your EN data, so it's gone on the cloud and your local copy.  But you have a recent version on Timemachine, so you get that loaded on a computer then pull up your EN client and IMO there should be a menu option "Restore from local Database".  This would meet requirements for those who need a disaster recovery plan, and as EN already can sync after offline work, they apparently already support this general functionality.  For those using EN for lots of important docs, this is an important feature IMO.

Thank you for sharing that method, and great to hear it works, all I'm suggesting is that this is formalized with a menu option.  The benefit would be it could check versions for inconsistencies that may have been migrated between your local database and the EN client for example as well as other checks.  But cool, thank you

• 8 months later...

I've been a paid subscriber of Evernote since 2015 and in recent years have experienced significant disruption, wasted time, and loss of data as a result of Evernote's failings and questionable decisions. EN is currently v10.56.9 on my Mac. Having read several threads it is clear that many others are struggling with the viability of EN. This reply is just intended to share my experience and opinions.

These are the main problems that I've encountered (in the past,  and currently) :

• Notes have been duplicated, triplicated, and quadruplicated even as I have been working on them (i.e. in real-time as I was creating / editing a Note). At first I thought this was a glitch and that each dup/trip/quad-licate was an incremental 'save', but it quickly became apparent that the data was not being saved incrementally. For example a piece of text was included in Note v1 and v3, but not Note v2 and v4. It was bizarre.
  • Notes have been lost. I speak with my accountant at least once per month and many of those discussions require me to take notes. There's a gap of ~18 months in the relevant Notebook where there aren't any Notes, and it is inconceivable that I wouldn't have created any Notes during that timeframe. EN Technical Help has requested the precise title of each Note - this isn't practicable, because I don't have a photographic memory. I've suggested a potential partial title of a Note, based on the date of a scheduled Zoom call in my calendar, but EN has not responded.
  • I've looked in the suggested Library locations (I know how to display Hidden Folders), and have searched, but there doesn't seem to be a database or any folders/files with anything significant in terms of data content.
  • I do not recall when EN migrated from 'local data, Cloud synchronised' to 'Cloud data, temporary cached local data' but it seems that my Time Machine backups do not go back to a time when I was using the previous release of EN i.e. prior to v10. I have resigned myself to the acceptance that I do not have a local copy of the Notes which have been lost.
  • In hindsight it seems clear that I should have done more research so as to fully understand the fundamental changes in EN v10, rather than being herded along the "look ! new ! shiny !" upgrade path. I regret not holding-off for much longer.

Far from being a productivity-enhancing App EN has now, unfortunately, become quite the opposite for me. Permanent loss of data by a service provider is unforgivable. Removal of local data for backup purposes is unacceptable. EN annual subscription charges have become very uncompetitive.

So now I'm on the hunt for a workable alternative, but I haven't found a Notes App which ticks all my boxes. I may even stop using Notebook/Note Apps altogether and simply use documents, in a logical folder structure, real-time synchronised across my devices via Dropbox. My DB subscription includes a rolling year of searchable version backups, which would provide an extra layer of information recovery if I ever needed it. I'd lose some useful functionality, and I accept that it would probably represent a big backwards step in terms of modern technology and processes, but at least it would be reliable and timeless (i.e. not subject to enforced changes to workflow and data storage strategy/platform from Apps providers) and I wouldn't be forced to use proprietary technologies which can prove to be so imprisoning of the customer.

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, ThreeThirtyDee said:

So now I'm on the hunt for a workable alternative, but I haven't found a Notes App which ticks all my boxes.

I've switched to Obsidian. There’s a stiff learning curve, as you have to install and configure various plugins to get something like an Evernote-like experience, but it’s all individual, human-readable files, so backing up and restoring is very easy.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@ThreeThirtyDee You tell a lot, but not the most important information: Are you on the AppStore version, or using the direct download ?

There are different locations for the local database depending on the origin of install.

As far as I recall, I'm using the direct download software. I am billed directly by Evernote. That said, when I open the AppStore and search for Evernote it is displayed with "Update" adjacent to it. 

• Level 5

The way of installing has nothing to do with the payment method. I pay through the AppStore, and use the direct download.

You either use an installer downloaded directly from the website, or your updates are delivered by the AppStore.

37 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The way of installing has nothing to do with the payment method. I pay through the AppStore, and use the direct download.

You either use an installer downloaded directly from the website, or your updates are delivered by the AppStore.

An email from EN in 2015 "get started with Evernote" included a "GET THE APP" link, so it looks like I started with direct download.

I've been watching YT reviews of alternatives and have just learned that EN has massively increased its subscription prices. Checking on the EN website confirms that the subscription prices have nearly doubled on a like-for-like basis. 

Coupled with the unreliability, lack of locally stored database and backup capability, and proprietary EN code, there's only one conclusion for me - I'm done with EN. I'll be migrating to an alternative which provides these features, version history (and the ability to recover a Note from a previous version), and preferably one with a nonproprietary file/format type (i.e. MD or plain text compliant).

There's no real urgency as my subscription doesn't renew until February. The search starts now...

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, ThreeThirtyDee said:

Checking on the EN website confirms that the subscription prices have nearly doubled on a like-for-like basis. 

Not sure what you're looking at - mine went up by about 25%

34 minutes ago, ThreeThirtyDee said:

Coupled with the unreliability, lack of locally stored database and backup capability, and proprietary EN code

You have had a remarkably bad experience so far - most users don't seem to have quite your level of bad luck,  though I see you're dealing with Support onthat.

A 'locally stored database' shouldn't necessarily be a requirement as there are ways to extract copies of all notes and notebooks from the server if required.  And proprietary code?  You mean as opposed to Microsoft, Apple or Adobe?

Notes do have a version history and - provided the note still exists - can be recovered to any stage of its development.

I'm not knocking or mocking here - just pointing out that Evernote normally is not quite as disastrous as you paint it.  It's entirely your right to move on,  and I wish you luck in finding another provider that suits your needs.  I hope Support can help you get back to your missing notes.

26 minutes ago, gazumped said:

A 'locally stored database' shouldn't necessarily be a requirement as there are ways to extract copies of all notes and notebooks from the server if required. 

The very important difference here is that if files are stored on your local hard drive, you can have incremental local backups of them (on the Mac, using Time Machine).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Calion said:

The very important difference here is that if files are stored on your local hard drive, you can have incremental local backups of them (on the Mac, using Time Machine).

Don't disagree,  though Evernote has the parent database on its servers and an inbuilt incremental backup in Note History.  One of my requests to Evernote has been for an easy local backup process.

• Level 5

@ThreeThirtyDee OK, there is an open question here:

Location for direct download:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote 

Location with AppStore: 

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data

The symbol at the beginning stands for your Mac user name. In both cases the folder is hidden - do hidden folders must be made visible first.

The content of this directory is somewhat readable directly - to get at the notes a working EN client is needed.
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@ThreeThirtyDee OK, there is an open question here:

Location for direct download:

~/Library/Application Support/Evernote 

Location with AppStore: 

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data

The symbol at the beginning stands for your Mac user name. In both cases the folder is hidden - do hidden folders must be made visible first.

The content of this directory is somewhat readable directly - to get at the notes a working EN client is needed.

Neither of those locations match what's in my system (MacOS Ventura 13.4.1 at the present time).

The locations which do exist are :

~/Library/Containers/Evernote

~/Library/Containers/Evernote (Alias)

~/Library/Containers/Evernote Login Helper

~/Library/Containers/Evernote Web Clipper

~/Library/Containers//Evernote Web Clipper (Alias)

The "Evernote" folders contain subfolders including "Data". I'm surprised to see the contents of the Data folder comprises these subfolders :

• Desktop
  • Documents
  • Downloads
  • Library
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Pictures
  • SystemData
  • tmp

Taking the "Desktop" folder as an example, the folder does contain all of the folders and files which are present on my Desktop. Mounted drives are, obviously, not included.

Is it normal to have Desktop data included in a Desktop folder nested in a folder structure for Evernote ? I'm surprised to see this.

Something has become clearer to me (memory recall). When (late December 2022) I upgraded from my 10 year old iMac to my current Mac Studio I took great care to build my User profile from scratch - zero use of Migration Assistant, because I didn't was to carry-over any cruft from the previous operating system. The latest versions of all non-Apple Apps were downloaded directly from the relevant developer's website. This included Evernote and, in the case of Evernote, my data was then automatically downloaded after I logged-in to my account.

• Level 5

If it is in the containers area, it is likely from an AppStore install.

Since I only use the direct install, I can’t go checking. Thanks for looking it up.

The data on a fresh install will be downloaded from the server - there is no need to carry over data from an existing install. And it is in general better to draw from the server - the local copy can have a corruption, which causes problems when using the app.

17 hours ago, Calion said:

I've switched to Obsidian. There’s a stiff learning curve, as you have to install and configure various plugins to get something like an Evernote-like experience, but it’s all individual, human-readable files, so backing up and restoring is very easy.

I play around with Obsidian regularly. My main issue with it is the markdown editor, where the layout bounces around when you move over links and headers and so on. Tables are horrible to edit as well. Even with plugins. And I think it's horrible that you have to manage the attachments as well, instead of being embedded in the notes as with evernote. But there's a lot to like otherwise. I tried to import all my evernote notes (from enex) the other day (5774 notes), and now Obsidian is slowly trying to index the files, and I can't even open my vault on my mobile 🤪

• Like 1