Auto-Correct / Spelling Issues

Bryan Black

Idea

There seems to be an issue in Evernote 3 where I haven't been able to ignore words, or even change to suggested correct spelling that the MacOS has identified as being misspelled.

Meaning words that I know are spelled right, like brand names, the MacOS is identifying as being misspelled and in other MacOS applications like TextEdit, I have the ability to Control Click and bring up the Menu that allows me to click "Ignore Spelling". I don't have this option in Evernote 3, it seems to have been removed for some reason.

This issue leaves my notes full of distracting red dotted underlines and the only way to get rid of them is to completely turn off the whole Mac system spelling check/auto correct in the Keyboard system preferences, or pull up another application like TextEdit, type the same word in there and control click and select "Learn Spelling". Then going back to the Evernote Note will remove the red dotted underline.

I'm using MacOSCatalina 10.15.7 and am glad to provide further details if needed. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

1 minute ago, Bryan Black said:

I don't have this option in Evernote 3, it seems to have been removed for some reason.

It hasn't been removed, but rather it never has yet been implemented in the new version of Evernote. Like you notice, the only workaround is to open another app that uses MacOS spelling and learn the word there. Then in Evernote navigate away from and back to the same note, and newly learned word will be recognized.

This has been reported a few times, but yours is the first report in this section of the forum. 

Just now, Bryan Black said:

Have you heard if this will be something that eventually gets added?

I have searched the past discussion, and I could find one staff response that indicated "This has been shared with our product team!" In my hasty search I did not find any further comment from Evernote staff.

22 hours ago, Bryan Black said:

This is the most annoying thing. They should fire their UX people. How is it possible I have to see proper nouns mis spelled. What the hell? 

They should give us our money back until they fix it. What are they thinking!

There seems to be an issue in Evernote 3 where I haven't been able to ignore words, or even change to suggested correct spelling that the MacOS has identified as being misspelled.

Meaning words that I know are spelled right, like brand names, the MacOS is identifying as being misspelled and in other MacOS applications like TextEdit, I have the ability to Control Click and bring up the Menu that allows me to click "Ignore Spelling". I don't have this option in Evernote 3, it seems to have been removed for some reason.

This issue leaves my notes full of distracting red dotted underlines and the only way to get rid of them is to completely turn off the whole Mac system spelling check/auto correct in the Keyboard system preferences, or pull up another application like TextEdit, type the same word in there and control click and select "Learn Spelling". Then going back to the Evernote Note will remove the red dotted underline.

I'm using MacOSCatalina 10.15.7 and am glad to provide further details if needed. Thanks!

22 hours ago, garrettm30 said:

It hasn't been removed, but rather it never has yet been implemented in the new version of Evernote. Like you notice, the only workaround is to open another app that uses MacOS spelling and learn the word there. Then in Evernote navigate away from and back to the same note, and newly learned word will be recognized.

Seriously go to another App and learn the word there? Fix the feature in your APP

@Sean Browne Please put your comments outside of the quotation, as otherwise it inaccurately makes it look like your contribution to the discussion was actually part of the quotation.

Also, you may be already aware, but it is not clear from your post, so I'll just add that I am a regular member, not staff of Evernote. I only suggested the workaround of learning words in another app for the sake of a present solution only until the developers actually resolve the issue properly.

9 hours ago, bergerx said:

I just upgraded to 10.4.4 and the spell checking is one of the new 'features'. I don't need help with spelling and the red lines are a distraction. Isn't there a way to turn this off??????

YES ^^ This ^^

Been using Evernote since 2011 and this is the thing that made me create an account just so I could post in the forum. Why in the world would you assume all users want spell-checking then not provide the means to turn it off?!  🤬

I found a place in Mac System Preferences called Languages & Region that has a Text window and then Keyboard Preferences, in the text tab you can de select "Correct spelling automatically"  ... and that does not fix it either. I have found now way to turn this off. Even fixing words in Apple mail does not correct them in my notes. It's so maddening. No one has said anything about even fixing it.