[Fixed in Version 10.2.2] Older notes are "View Only" after upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Sayre Ambrosio,

Hi there--

Hoping this isn't a foolishly easy thing to solve, but I just updated to the new Evernote iOS (10.1) and I can't seem to edit any of my existing notes in iOS for iPhone or iPad. Every note is permanently stuck in 'view only' mode. I can edit on my desktop (which is up to date). If I create a new note (in the iOS app or desktop), I can edit that. But nothing that I created before the update is editable. See bottom of the image below. There is no ability to edit, only view. 

IMG_1806.thumb.PNG.9fe8dc0f2b716893cb62679c622ab446.PNG

I've been reading that some people want this feature because they primarily write on their desktop and this means they don't accidentally mess up their notes on their phones. But is this a feature I can use on a note by note basis? It appears to be global on my devices for everything pre-update and short of duplicating every note and deleting the old one (I've been loyal since 2013, so that's a lot of notes) I'd love to be able to turn this off. I've searched everywhere in the app for a setting to address this, and have searched on the forums as well. At the moment I'm chalking this up to a 'bug' because I seem to be alone here.

If I'm wrong and I'm missing something, apologies. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? 

Thank you!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

After upgrading to the following -- 

• Mac 10.2.4
  • iOS 10.1 (1107121)

All my notes are marked as "View Only" on iOS but editable on my Mac.  When I create a new note on Mac or iOS, it seems to be editable but not the older notes.   Is there a step that I'm missing with the upgrade?  Do I need to convert them into some new format?  How can I make my older notes editable on my iOS devices?  

I can provide photos as needed.  

Thank you. 

-rjm

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Same issue. I've found that if I edit a note in the desktop app, it becomes editable in the iphone app. This is a temporary workaround; I agree with the need for more intelligent 'read-only' settings.

• Like 3

I have the exact same issue. My new MacBook Pro shows older notes all as "view only" whereas my older MacBook Air allows me to manage them just fine. I rely on Evernote as my main task intake system, so I use it every day. Please provide suggestions..

• Like 1

Hello so all notes created up to yesterday are in “view only” mode. Upon opening Evernote today I was asked to login again, and then all notes were uneditable. As I use Evernote as a work-in-progress repository on-the-go it has become useless to me.

I see a number of people have been having the problem since last upgrade: what’s the solution, workaround?

[Edit] Re-installing the app doesn’t work

• Like 4

I've got exactly the same issue.  Why does a Cloud-based Notes Application  not allow for updates on IOS devices now?  I get the "View Only" notice as well.  This appears only since the upgrade on MacOS, or just a coincidence?

Evernote, this needs to be resolved ASAP.  It becomes useless for me if I cannot update my notes across multiple devices.  (And I am a paid subscription user).

• Like 4

Same problem - way too many notes to touch them all.

Anyone open a ticket on this yet?

I'm sorry I upgraded without checking for major problems. Is there is a way to downgrade to the previous version of the iOS app?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Renato Mascardo said:

Alright, I found a work around -- if I "touch"/edit an older file on my Mac, it goes from "view only" to "edit" on my iOS devices.  So in theory, I would need to "touch" all my files to edit it on my iOS devices. 

Hope that is helpful for folks.  

-rjm

That is insane. I have 10000 notes in my person account and quite a few in my business account. All of which I could need at a random time.

I tried the workaround, and it worked for me so I do know it is an option, but I mean seriously? I keep notes to ask my doctor in EN and if this had happened while out I would have been in trouble.

3 minutes ago, rct said:

Same problem - way too many notes to touch them all.

Anyone open a ticket on this yet?

I'm sorry I upgraded without checking for major problems. Is there is a way to downgrade to the previous version of the iOS app?

This is a new issue. I updated the day the new app came out and while there have been other major issues, this one just started. :(

Downgrading on the iOS app is not doable without some messing around with backups and all that stuff. Not sure if anyone has attempted it and been successful.

13 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

This is a new issue. I updated the day the new app came out and while there have been other major issues, this one just started. :(

Downgrading on the iOS app is not doable without some messing around with backups and all that stuff. Not sure if anyone has attempted it and been successful.

Yes, unfortunately this isn't easy on iOS - there is another thread going on about this now

Shane D said to reach out to her with problems that people are trying to work around by downgrading.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

That is insane. I have 10000 notes in my person account and quite a few in my business account. All of which I could need at a random time.

I tried the workaround, and it worked for me so I do know it is an option, but I mean seriously? I keep notes to ask my doctor in EN and if this had happened while out I would have been in trouble.

I don't disagree -- I hope they fix it!  

-rjm

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Renato Mascardo said:

Alright, I found a work around -- if I "touch"/edit an older file on my Mac, it goes from "view only" to "edit" on my iOS devices.  So in theory, I would need to "touch" all my files to edit it on my iOS devices. 

Hope that is helpful for folks.  

-rjm

This will work if you have an iPad. I just edited on iPad and now my phone is good on that particular note.

• Level 5

Hi All,

I've merged the multiple threads regarding this issue into one here.

@Renato Mascardo @skirsten @Jbjb100 @rct @Sayre Ambrosio @penglish

To clarify, these are occurring on personal accounts, and not business accounts, correct?

This issue began once you updated the Evernote App for iOS to version 10.1, correct? (Or, did it begin once you updated your Evernote Mac App?)

Let me know as I'm working with our team to further investigate.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

To clarify, these are occurring on personal accounts, and not business accounts, correct?

This issue began once you updated the Evernote App for iOS to version 10.1, correct? (Or, did it begin once you updated your Evernote Mac App?)

Yes, personal account,  Updated iOS app to 10.1 on an iPad running iOS 13 yesterday (11/3).  Not a mac user, running 6.25.1 on Windows 10.

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

These are not just personal accounts. It's happening in my business account as well. The business account is where I first noticed it this morning.

It also didn't start with the update for me. I was updated to the latest version when I checked yesterday and that is the version from iOS App Store that updated like almost a week ago. No problems until this morning.

I've been running the legacy and updated app on my Mac side by side this entire time.

Also, my iPad is not having this problem but the app is the same version there as on my phone.

Something else to note is that the clipper in Safari does not work at all. That started a couple days ago and I have a ticket for it, but haven't heard anything yet other than please attach your logs.

• Like 1

I’m having the same issues...entire Notebooks now marked View Only. My updates come automatically, so not being sure exactly when that occurred, I don’t know if it coincides with this issue. I have the app on my iPad and on my iPhone, both using iOS 13.5.1...my phone app seems fine. I hope it’s an easy fix for the developers...it’s really inconvenient to have to do all my editing on my phone.

I am having the same issue...can someone from Evernote please let us know if this is a bug or an intentional change? If the latter, then I have to find a different note taking app because this won’t work for how I use the product. This is kind of ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Recommended Workaround] "View Only" for older notes after upgrade

I submitted the support ticket yesterday and got reply (not the automatic one) 6 hours later. However, they are not sure when this will not be fixed.

(You know that fixing one bug can lead to other new bugs.)

btw, thanks @Sayre Ambrosio for the workaround and luckily there is a way to edit when needed.

Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 8.24.53 AM.png

• Like 1

In my case notes are locked in my notebook (Windows) but editable on my phone (Android) so the proposed solution doesn't apply. However  if I (again) log in to Evernote a tab opens in my notebook browser which allows me to edit the note. My sense is that the issue maybe relates to (a) legacy account(s), as I've been using Evernote for many years, and that my notebook app is logged into a legacy and not my current account (which would then allow me to edit notes).  

However,      

+1

adding a Tag solved the issue - or: after changing the note on my legacy App device, the note was back in edit mode on V10, too.

Suddenly 5 notes are view only in a shared notebook (shared to others) - all these notes were created a week ago - older ones are still in edit mode.

Evernote upgraded on my iPhone (I don't think I requested or started it) and now notes on my phone show "View" only. I have 1000s of notes I can't go on my laptop and open / touch every note. 

THIS NEEDS A FIX ASAP.

THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. 

Same problem. Upgraded to iOS 10.1 and all notes on iPhone stuck in view only mode 

I use my phone a lot to add to an existing note when mobile. 
This is a serious flaw in upgrade 

please fix ASAP

I am trying to stay loyal to Evernote but every upgrade seems to cause a problem 

Adding a tag To the view only note (Created a new tag called Fix ) allows note to be edited - so a work around For now  ( thx to stocky2605 for sharing)

HEY EVERNOTE TEAM!! WHY ARE LITERALLY ALL MY NOTES IN VIEW-ONLY MODE?!

I have over 5000 notes and I can’t edit a single one of them! That’s freaking inconvenient, outrageous and not the worth the annual subscription I paid upfront!!

PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Since I have no issues (and iOS devices are usually pretty clean regarding bad software), I just want to remind anybody of how to do a good update. This is even more important when having trouble before.

• Uninstall the app (any app). If asked, don’t keep any data.
  • Switch the I-device OFF. Really shut it down, not only the lock screen. This will clean out the RAM.
  • Reinstall the app 
  • When on a good internet connection and having enough time: Open the app, log into your account and let it sync. To avoid interruptions in the initial sync, you can switch the autoscreen-lock to OFF in the iOS settings before. The first sync is important because it will build the apps metadata. It is later used for searches and sync control.

Usually I update by the AppStore. Just when having trouble, I follow this extended update routine.

So, I followed your instructions.

it appears my Notes are totally messed up after uninstalling Evernote on my iPhone & then reinstalling it.

For the first time ever since 2014 as a member, my NOTES are in VIEW ONLY mode.  I believe there is another person in this forum who has similar issue.  

I regret following instructions.  
i have monthly bill pay fills in which I add to all during the month.  Those notes are basically useless to me now.  Maybe the VIEW ONLY will correct itself?

AGAIN, in 6 years, almost 7 years, I’ve never ever had a NOTE in VIEW ONLY MODE.  I unsuccessfully searched SETTINGS for a solution.

I used the Mac app to add a temporary tag to every note at once.  I then synced everything and can not edit everything on my iPhone.  Interestingly, I then removed the tag from every note on my Mac and synced again.  The tags are remaining on all the notes in iOS.  The new version of the iOS app takes a lot longer to load on my iPhone, too.  Come on, Evernote!

evernote was my greatest secret creative superpower. it is hands down the best for recording an idea that comes into your mind instantly in both audio/text/visuals. (i’m a hobby songwriter)  i’ve been loyal for years. this is my first post ever. this update almost makes me want to quit. that’s how bad it is. you’ve ruined my creative workflow. i deleted six paragraphs of ranting just now because i realized i sound crazy, but basically i was so invested in my evernote creative workflow and this bloody update ruined it all.

i had a specific creative workflow with evernote that allowed me to write fifty new songs while in the middle of law school. it was an amazing experience. and now this update has screwed me hard. i try to go on old files to add new ideas in and this view only ***** pops up. it’s the worst thing ever.

please. i’m begging you. change it back. it’s like having your best friend suddenly turn into a rotten psychopath. you have no idea.

i deleted six paragraphs of ranting. that’s how much this has bothered me. please change it back. get rid of this View Only *****, or turn it into an optional settings preference thing whatever i don’t care please take it away.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dammitdiego said:

evernote was my greatest secret creative superpower. it is hands down the best for recording an idea that comes into your mind instantly in both audio/text/visuals. (i’m a hobby songwriter)  i’ve been loyal for years. this is my first post ever. this update almost makes me want to quit. that’s how bad it is. you’ve ruined my creative workflow. i deleted six paragraphs of ranting just now because i realized i sound crazy, but basically i was so invested in my evernote creative workflow and this bloody update ruined it all.

i had a specific creative workflow with evernote that allowed me to write fifty new songs while in the middle of law school. it was an amazing experience. and now this update has screwed me hard. i try to go on old files to add new ideas in and this view only ***** pops up. it’s the worst thing ever.

please. i’m begging you. change it back. it’s like having your best friend suddenly turn into a rotten psychopath. you have no idea.

i deleted six paragraphs of ranting. that’s how much this has bothered me. please change it back. get rid of this View Only *****, or turn it into an optional settings preference thing whatever i don’t care please take it away.

I’m cracking up because I’m also in the same position (songwriter) and this update screwed my workflow hard which prompted me to make my first post on this board as well 😂

They better get I️t together, because my premium is up in a month and I’m thinking about switching as well. They also need more sub notebooks. One stack —> notebook is not enough to stay organized. Tagging feature is not cutting I️t. 

12 minutes ago, aq321 said:

They also need more sub notebooks. One stack —> notebook is not enough to stay organized. Tagging feature is not cutting I️t. 

this is an endless discussion 🙂 I use notebooks only to share a group of notes with others (or temporarly for new projects, after finishing, tagging and move to final notebook) - and I think this was the main goal how Evernote has implemented Notebooks. Tags are great to organize, but if you don't like that then EN may not the right solution, of course.

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, aq321 said:

They also need more sub notebooks. One stack —> notebook is not enough to stay organized. Tagging feature is not cutting I️t. 

Tags are Evernote's primary organization tool
The sub notebook discussion is linked below  

All of a sudden, a bunch of my notes appear in the iOS app as Read-Only. In those cases, I have to duplicate the note, which I can then edit. From looking at the ones that are locked, I can't see any notable similarities. And I certainly didn't lock them.

I tried deleting the Evernote app and re-installing it. That didn't make any difference.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 4:31 PM, penglish said:

Hi there--

Hoping this isn't a foolishly easy thing to solve, but I just updated to the new Evernote iOS (10.1) and I can't seem to edit any of my existing notes in iOS for iPhone or iPad. Every note is permanently stuck in 'view only' mode. I can edit on my desktop (which is up to date). If I create a new note (in the iOS app or desktop), I can edit that. But nothing that I created before the update is editable. See bottom of the image below. There is no ability to edit, only view. 

IMG_1806.thumb.PNG.9fe8dc0f2b716893cb62679c622ab446.PNG

I've been reading that some people want this feature because they primarily write on their desktop and this means they don't accidentally mess up their notes on their phones. But is this a feature I can use on a note by note basis? It appears to be global on my devices for everything pre-update and short of duplicating every note and deleting the old one (I've been loyal since 2013, so that's a lot of notes) I'd love to be able to turn this off. I've searched everywhere in the app for a setting to address this, and have searched on the forums as well. At the moment I'm chalking this up to a 'bug' because I seem to be alone here.

If I'm wrong and I'm missing something, apologies. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? 

Thank you!

I hope Evernote fixes this soon, I have the same problem and I can't edit many notes in my ihpone. I don't want to edit them in my ipad, I have too many of them

• Shane D. changed the title to [Recommended Workaround] Older notes are "View Only" after upgrade
On 11/20/2020 at 2:58 AM, Pablocruz said:

All of a sudden, a bunch of my notes appear in the iOS app as Read-Only. In those cases, I have to duplicate the note, which I can then edit. From looking at the ones that are locked, I can't see any notable similarities. And I certainly didn't lock them.

I tried deleting the Evernote app and re-installing it. That didn't make any difference.

@Pablocruzjust add a Tag to the note...makes it editable - remove the Tag at any time, note stays editable. It‘s a workaround, but a quick one.

And yes, I still see those read only notes from time to time.

• Like 1
On 11/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Yes, that’s what’s happening for me since the upgrade on my iPhone. I haven’t touched my laptop version.

I use the professional version and have this same issue on my iPhone after upgrading yesterday. The “tag workaround” worked for me, but it’s ridiculous. 

Is Evernote working on fixing this and how will we know when it’s resolved? I’ve been using Evernote for years and have too many notes to modify in this way. 

I'm a PC mainly person and long-term Evernote user. Yesterday, I downloaded Evernote on my iPad for the first time. Unfortunately, I discovered the "view only" problem. After reading this thread, I was rescued by the add tag work-around. The other suggested solution was to edit the note on my desktop.

Is there an edit button on the iPad?

This entire release 10 has got to be the buggiest piece of junk that I've seen released by a "real" company in many years.  Even MSFT doesn't get it this bad.

This problem just appeared today on my iPad - but only in random notebooks.

It's insane that this thread goes back to the beginning of the month.  Something this critical should have been fixed ASAP.

What other note taking apps are people looking at changing to?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, PaulLG said:

What other note taking apps are people looking at changing to?

Unfortunately, none. I am forced to use OneNote at work and I'm here to report that it's hideous. It's as if the last 15 years of user experience improvements never happened at Microsoft.

I'm afraid, even with Evernote's disastrous v10 requiring you to add a tag in order to edit a note, it's still a better experience than the competition on orders of magnitude.

The trick of adding a tag and then removing it does seem to work - a thousand thanks to whoever worked it out.

It’s inconvenient and slow, much like the whole “up”grade. One can only presume that someone at Evernote will now block this method so as to render the service even worse

If you guys don't have a way to fix this problem in an update, PLEASE let us know. Silence doesn't let us know if you have fix coming or if you are expecting us to go through each note with the hack mentioned above. I my case I really don't want to do that because it then changes my last edited date for the note and doesn't reflect a true edit. I actually refer to these dates to know when I was last doing things in it.

I am also plagued by this issue - notes that I can't edit. Somewhat fortunately for me, it's only happening with some notes rather than all of them. It also appears to be the reverse of many people's experience in that I CAN edit the notes on iOS but I can't on MacOS - this is what I see:

image.thumb.png.e00edce239bd768def9d236235028fb8.png

Alternate workaround:

I have discovered that if I edit a note which has become stuck in "View Only" mode on MacOS I can make it editable again by either editing it on iOS or on https://www.evernote.com/

"Upgrade"

It is very disappointing to find this upgrade has in fact degraded:

1. Performance (the app is slower to respond to searches and text updates)
  2. Keyboard shortcuts are missing e.g. Cmd + Shift + T used to place a checkbox - doesn't work any longer
  3. Search interface - the display of the terms for the search are displayed in a way that makes them appear to be editable (and they can be highlighted) but can't be edited - as you might attempt to when refining your search, say with the left menu bar collapsed [see 2nd attachment]
  4. Search results - results don't update as new notes are created e.g. search for notes containing abcdef, duplicate a note containing abcdef, now the new note should appear in the results (even after repeating the search) but the new note doesn't appear. Previous app did show such results.

My version of the app on Mac OS is

v 10.1.7 build 458354 public
Editor: v109.0.14125
Service: v1.20.26

Last (and almost the most annoying) thing is that visiting this forum has a big banner informs me that a newer version is available to be downloaded for Mac - v10.4 (post link below) but even though it has a higher version number than mine there's no download link and this doesn't appear on the Mac App Store. So how am I supposed to get hold of this? [edit: I've now found https://evernote.com/download but really they could put that in the post itself]. It doesn't mention any of the issues I'm noticing being resolved...

Should I hope for bug fixes soon?

image.png

Edited by SeymourButts
adding download link
23 hours ago, EnduroDad2k said:

Just upgraded to a new device and I encountered this issue. 

Lots of new devices will occur during the holidays, please issue a hotfix ASAP Evernote!

hope this has been fixed with todays update to 10.2!? (the issue is addressed in the release notes)

• Like 1

IOS version 10.2 fixes this - at least AFAICT. Totally frustrated with the issue, just read through the 66 comments from the past MONTH for this to get resolved, and was prepared to trash Evernote on iPad and just use Mac version. (For those with historical claims to use back to 2014, I’ve been using Evernote since 2008!) Last note I read said 10.2 was out today, and while watching the App Store page it popped up.

After update, the [Edit] button appeared on my first Note. Then after I edited the note to verify, the button did not come back on that or other notes. I was afraid it was still an issue. I went to Evernote Preferences > Notes > Edit Protection and turned this OFF. 

Now I believe all my notes are editable. You can either TAP the note and it goes into Edit mode, or tap [Edit] and it goes into Edit mode. 

I have to say this still seems broken with “Note Protection” ON, which has got to be one of the dumbest features I’ve ever seen. I didn’t need it for the last 12 years, why now?

Apple keeps improving the Notes app by the way, but I still prefer Evernote if they can keep from ruining it!!

• Like 2
  • Shane D. changed the title to [Fixed in Version 10.2.2] Older notes are "View Only" after upgrade