Why is sort by tag not available anymore?? Nightmare. Please fix. Also why is favorites bar at the top not an option? I hate this upgrade.

**ERP**

Idea

30 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, CardoB said:

We should be able to sort by both tag and title (so that all notes with same tag appear together, sorted alphabetically).

Since notes can have multiple tags, would we see notes listed multiple times?

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, CardoB said:

at the very least -- once, grouped by the tag earliest in the alphabet.

That's a bit obscure, but I suspect it's what the "sort by tags" posts are really requesting

You can sort by tags in the legacy version. It sorts by the first tag in the list. If you have "special" tags which begin with a punctuation character it can work well. Of course the other problem is that v10 lists tags in the order you added them not alphabetically so I need that problem sorted as well.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If you have "special" tags which begin with a punctuation character it can work well.

Less obscure, but this is getting to be more of a niche request   
Can you give a use case as an example

I  prefix my tagnames with special characters as  per the  hashtag convention (?who, !what @were ...)

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Can you give a use case as an example

I have a series of tags all beginning with + and followed by a description of the type of note: +paper, +blogpost, +tutorial, +howto etc. I can quickly review the notes with those tags in a list sorted by tag name. Yes I can do something similar with a search (tag:+*) but it's just quick and convenient. 

I think there is also a general principle that if you are going to put different fields in a list view you should be able to sort by them.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Yes I can do something similar with a search (tag:+*) but it's just quick and convenient. 

Shortcut to a saved search would be quick and convenient
There's no sort, but there can be separate shortcuts for +paper, +blogpost, +tutorial, +howto etc.   

>>I have a series of tags all beginning with + and followed by a description of the type of note: +paper, +blogpost, +tutorial, +howto etc.

I use something similar; tags !Type-aaaaaa (Receipt, Journal, Event, ....)

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That's 17 saved searches vs the quick alphabetical sort which we have in the legacy version.

Good thing about prefixed tags on 6.25 .1 is that Shift+Alt+T followed by +p will get you to +paper pretty quickly, followed by enter.  As I haven't touched V10 with a 10 foot pole since my first 10 minutes back when, is Shift+Alt+T implemented in V10?

• Like 1

So can notes be sorted by tags or no? I am given only three options when trying to sort notes, by Title, Date Created and Date Updated. Why can't I sort by the other fields, especially by tag.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2020 at 8:47 PM, johnadamsx23 said:

I also use the "no tags" at the top of a list to go through the items that I need to tag. 

Sorry I missed this when you posted it. I would also like to sort by tag for other reasons. In your specific case you can use the advanced search syntax to find all notes that are not tagged. Just type the following into the search bar:

-tag:*

On 1/12/2022 at 3:12 AM, JonV said:

So can notes be sorted by tags or no?

No they can't. It's been raised several times. Our general expectation of tables (e.g. side and top view) on the web (and EN is basically html) is that we should be able to sort by any field by simply clicking the fileld name or an arrow beside it. There are several use cases where even advanced search will not cut it and we need to resort to sorting by tag. For example finding notes which only contain one tag (in my case a top level tag in the hierarchy) can only be achieved by searching for the top level tag and then scanning. This is much easier if you can sort by tag as the tag list in all notes with only the top level tag must obviously start with the top level tag.

It is always worth mentioning your specific use case. Firstly so that EN know why it is important and secondly because someone in the forum may be able to think of a solution based on search which may be as good or at least a work around until sorting is implemented.

• Like 1

A TSW/GTD person myself here, sticking/stuck to legacy. I have a variant thought out myself in use, that NEEDS (must-have) sorting of tags per note, and sorting the list. Therefor I'm still using legacy in the hope v10 gets my needed features....

+1 

• Level 5

Can I get in on this? I've not only reminded people not to double-post (standard behavior in every online forum), but gone so far as to suggest that they read through a thread before posting to it. Can't I get flamed in a blog post too?

On 4/7/2022 at 9:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

Do you double up everything doing GTD as well ? I thought it was about being efficient …

Talking about the forum: No double posts here, please.

@PinkElephant Was your question aimed at me? If so, do you have questions after reading the thread I just quoted? Could you post them there? I'm happy to answer why this is most efficiënt and effective for me. I would LOVE to get challenged if people think it is not effective or efficiënt. I always want to improve my process as a COO.

Why is sort by tag not available anymore?

This is an essential feature for me. I've added my voice to a forum post before (2 or more years ago?), requesting that the feature be migrated from Evernote Legacy to the new Evernote. I am also one of those people who use The Secret Weapon / Getting Things Done system, which rely on the sorted tags, where the tags are listed in alphabetical order per note.

This is now even more urgent for me, because my copy of Evernote Legacy has just been overridden by the latest version of Evernote, without warning. I will attempt to get Evernote Legacy back shortly, but if I can't get it back, I can't justify the upcoming Evernote price increases.

Evernote, please bring back alphabetised tag sorting as soon as you can.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Nothing was updated, legacy code was too broken for carrying anything over.

The v10 app is 100% new code. Every single feature needed to be created - nothing was removed, they started with a blank sheet.

It is pretty simple to see in the tag column which notes still go without. No sorting necessary, it's obvious.

The sorting fraction of users are usually connected to TSW, a radical subflavour of GTD. They rely on sorting by tags - and they use a dedicated tagging system that I regard as broken, because it twists the tags to make them sortable. 

Since EN introduced Tasks, there are far better methods of making notes actionable than by perverting the tagging.