Be aware - Evernote randomly removes attachments to notes

I lost a pdf receipt today that was in an Evernote note from 2018.  I noticed that it had encryption so I entered the password, the pdf displayed as expected within the evernote note, I opened it with Acrobat, removed the encryption, Saved, and all was good... until I synced the note. Poof - pdf is gone.  It is *not* cool to mess around with our documents and attachments, and this missing attachment business has been going on for a few months now (with pasted jpgs disappearing all the time). 

Luckily I'm a paid subscriber and have access to note history and was able to recover.  I repeated the process and all worked out fine. BUT the only reason I caught the missing pdf was that I double-checked on it right after modifying it. Had I just gone about my business I never would have realized the attachment disappeared.

It might be time for everyone to backup their notes & attachments onto a hard drive or some more reliable cloud-based solution (which I was in the process of doing). And honestly, if we have to do that, then evernote becomes nothing more than a very expensive web-clipping service.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • lisec changed the title to Be aware - Evernote randomly removes attachments to notes
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 3:17 PM, lisec said:

It is *not* cool to mess around with our documents and attachments, and this missing attachment business has been going on for a few months now (with pasted jpgs disappearing all the time). 

To have that piece of mind that our stuff is there and not disappearing is what Evernote is (or should be) all about. I've experienced missing image files, screenshots and it is very frustrating since I cannot take the same screenshot anymore. 

Having that confidence and trust that our stuff is always there no matter how old the note, is super valuable.

Now I am experiencing issues during my testing of V10, some of the edits I know I did is no longer there, or the tagging I had done. And once I moved that note after my proper tagging, I don't go back to check in that notebook, in my mind I processed that note and dispatched it accordingly for retrieval later based on the tags. I hope this is a temporary issue and not going to linger for a long time. Finger crossed.

• 3 months later...

I work with Autodesk software and attached program files to evernote. I make revisions to my drawings, the next day the file is gone. I restore from the notes history and it is an older version without my changes. This is unacceptable

• 6 months later...

Randomly I loose Attachments in my notes. They are uploaded from documents that are downloaded on my MacBook Computer. It has been happening for almost a year.I recently did an update on Evernote hoping that may help it. This is a Work Group Evernote that everyone adds and looks at notes and it even disappears on their end as well. I have tried messaging Three Staff Members last week and not one has responded. They really need to fix this problem.

• Level 5

???

This Post lets many questions unanswered. 

First this is a thread on the EN legacy Windows client - you say you use a MacBook.

You say you recently did an update. From which client Version to which ? Did you stay on legacy (7.14, or even older), and have now moved on to v10 ? If you were on v10 already, the Mac client updates approximately ever 3 weeks, currently running at v10.22. I would expect you to update permanently then, not only now and once.

You say it would be a „Work group Evernote“ ? A Business / Teams account ? An individual account with a note or a notebook shared to other user(s).

You tried messaging staff ? This is not the way it works - issue a support ticket if you need help.

In case this is a Business/Teams account, contact your Admin to look after the issue.

With the current information it is IMHO not possible to solve this issue.

Just a general remark: Sharing of notes is NOT build to have several people working on one and the same note at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, PinkElephant said:

???

This Post lets many questions unanswered. 

First this is a thread on the EN legacy Windows client - you say you use a MacBook.

You say you recently did an update. From which client Version to which ? Did you stay on legacy (7.14, or even older), and have now moved on to v10 ? If you were on v10 already, the Mac client updates approximately ever 3 weeks, currently running at v10.22. I would expect you to update permanently then, not only now and once.

You say it would be a „Work group Evernote“ ? A Business / Teams account ? An individual account with a note or a notebook shared to other user(s).

You tried messaging staff ? This is not the way it works - issue a support ticket if you need help.

In case this is a Business/Teams account, contact your Admin to look after the issue.

With the current information it is IMHO not possible to solve this issue.

Just a general remark: Sharing of notes is NOT build to have several people working on one and the same note at the same time.

I am not sure but I believe I have the v10.22 version on my MacBook Air. And this is a Business account that a total of three people have access to with three different emails attached to it. This is used to update and view notes and notebooks. And I am the main one that works on and changes this account, the others view them but can make changes. How do I make a ticket? That doesn't seem to show up anywhere on here for me. Only sending direct messages to staff members.

And thank you so much for getting back to me. I hope this Is enough information.

• Level 5

If it is a Business account, it needs to have an Admin. Even if the Admin does not know he is Admin, there is one user who is in that role. If you are the main user, you are probably in the admin function. I stress this because it makes sense that all users channel their issues through the admin. Setup may play a role, and some changes that support may propose can only be implemented by the Admin.

OK, this said:

On each note there is note history running in the background. Open the note on desktop, hit 3 dots and choose note information, note history. You can restore the note to a prior version, or create a copy of that older version. It only works as long as the note still exists.

Of course attachments should not disappear. You can contact support about it:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 3:36 PM, PinkElephant said:

If it is a Business account, it needs to have an Admin. Even if the Admin does not know he is Admin, there is one user who is in that role. If you are the main user, you are probably in the admin function. I stress this because it makes sense that all users channel their issues through the admin. Setup may play a role, and some changes that support may propose can only be implemented by the Admin.

OK, this said:

On each note there is note history running in the background. Open the note on desktop, hit 3 dots and choose note information, note history. You can restore the note to a prior version, or create a copy of that older version. It only works as long as the note still exists.

Of course attachments should not disappear. You can contact support about it:

I will try to keep an eye on it. Thank you very much for your replies. I will try some of the things you have suggested and hopefully they work. Or maybe this recent update will help in some way. 

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

This happened to me before while using Evernote installed on my Chromebook, which I only use occasionally.  I thought it was user error -- that I had somehow accidentally deleted the PDF attachments -- but today it happened again under circumstances that I'm convinced was not user error.  I had a note from back in March I was editing with 3 PDF attachments. I viewed one of the attachments, backed out to make a text edit in the note, and then suddenly 2 of the attachments suddenly disappeared.  And then when I backed out, the Note itself had entirely disappeared.  When I went to my phone's Evernote, I was able to pull up the note, still showing a thumbnail of one of the 2 deleted attachments, but still with 2 of the 3 attachments deleted.  I went back to my Chromebook, ran the search again, and the note reappeared, but still with 2 of the 3 attachments gone.  I've only experienced this on my Chromebook.  

This is a serious problem with Evernote randomly removing attachments with no means of recovery.