Titles truncated to 140 characters when exporting to html

I could swear I used to export and get the full titles, but now my titles (and corresponding folders) are all being truncated at 140 characters (incl extension). Is that new? More important, is there a workaround?

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, lisec said:

Is that new? More important, is there a workaround?

Support ticket I think - when you ... eventually... get any resolution please post back.  Haven't been aware of any issues,  but maybe I title more tersely...

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, lisec said:

but now my titles (and corresponding folders) are all being truncated at 140 characters (incl extension).

This would be Windows only - no truncation on Macs

I tell ya, there's no winning.

I'm being good, exporting all my files for backup purposes (and also just in case I need to dump evernote). Then I discover the titles are all truncated and I'm missing half the relevant info.  Ok, well, Windows Search function is pretty good nowadays, so I can just search for the contents of the html files when I need to find something.  HA!  Windows Search doesn't find anything in html files!  Geez. So now I have to research that.  What a frustrating day.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

How are you exporting these files?  To HTML / ENEX?

html.  Apparently v1909 of Windows could have issues with Windows Search. They changed something.  

I think it's time for me to go into my cinema and watch all 25 movies of my Zatoichi box set. Maybe things will work better when I come back in about 3 weeks 😉

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*

Exporting to ENEX is good for backing up data - and the format seems to be importable for a number of apps including Evernote.  AFAIK the format is not human- (or search-) friendly though.  Not good for viewing content outside of a hosting app.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lisec said:

Ok, well, Windows Search function is pretty good nowadays, so I can just search for the contents of the html files when I need to find something.

For searching, I have a concern with note metadata (including title) missing from the backup export    
My solution is to append the metadata to the note contents1296039453_ScreenShot2020-11-19at1_22_23PM.png.79251c18c65b7bc42c3a8ef5f4ff1e9c.png

Just now, gazumped said:

Exporting to ENEX is good for backing up data - and the format seems to be importable for a number of apps including Evernote.  AFAIK the format is not human- (or search-) friendly though.  Not good for viewing content outside of a hosting app.

yeah, I backup to enex all the time and am up to date. I wanted to export to html (as well) to see if I could go back to living with everything on my notebook and just using evernote for web-clipping stuff.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I have a concern with note metadata (including title) missing from the backup export    
My solution is to append the metadata to the note contents

I'm not sure I understand, especially the bit about appending metadata.

I'm running Win10 v2004 and have EN-Windows v6.25.1.9091.

I just ran a quick export-test of a new note consisting of 171 characters in the title.  Both exporting as .enex file and .html successfully retained the full title character length when saved to my PC

ENT1.png

ENT2.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
46 minutes ago, gazumped said:

AFAIK the format is not human- (or search-) friendly though.  Not good for viewing content outside of a hosting app.

I want my backed up data to be "human- (or search-) friendly" and "good for viewing"   
HTML format works for me

1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

I'm running Win10 v2004 and have EN-Windows v6.25.1.9091.I just ran a quick export-test of a new note consisting of 171 characters in the title.  Both exporting as .enex file and .html successfully retained the full title character length when saved to my PC

Oh shoot!  I mean great, and thanks for posting that, but man, why doesn't it work on my machine!!!!  I get this, so I couldn't even search for "manual" using windows title search (which I prefer cause it's faster) because it truncates!image.png.e7824bb4cf3aec9b2b80d5bbf861a4ea.png

image.png.e7824bb4cf3aec9b2b80d5bbf861a4ea.png

1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

I'm running Win10 v2004 and have EN-Windows v6.25.1.9091.

I just ran a quick export-test of a new note consisting of 171 characters in the title.  Both exporting as .enex file and .html successfully retained the full title character length when saved to my PC

RavBoy, Are you running the latest Windows (v1909)? Maybe that's what is causing the truncating thing as well as the search business.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I edited my post with an example1887427287_ScreenShot2020-11-19at1_22_23PM.png.f2433c3594dd6e73868fe931450af002.png

Hmm. Could that be an Apple thing? 

On windows when you export a note to html you get to choose from a bunch of meta data and it goes into the note.So for example, this appears below the note title when I open the html file:

image.png.598bc061014b1206169735e106c024c4.png

Evernote eXport options:

image.png.efba4a50c8fe8f882aa437c48674cca9.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, lisec said:

Could that be an Apple thing? 

That's interesting; we don't have the options in Mac export - it was DIY for me   
I don't see Notebook or Note-Id in the list 

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's interesting; we don't have the options in Mac export - it was DIY for me   
I don't see Notebook or Note-Id in the list 

I don't think we have "note-id" in Windows, or if we do, it is under the hood and we can't see it. And yeah, there is no Notebook option. I think people usually select a notebook and export the entire thing into a folder with the Notebook name.

39 minutes ago, lisec said:

why doesn't it work on my machine!

Sorry, I have no idea. Perhaps you're on to something re the version of Windows one is using, maybe you could upgrade and test again.

34 minutes ago, lisec said:

Are you running the latest Windows (v1909)?

I'm actually using v2004 which is the next more recent version, however I notice an even later version has been released by Microsoft

image.thumb.png.cf977dbff1720b421f6676c9e02e8efa.png

30 minutes ago, lisec said:

Evernote eXport options:

image.png.efba4a50c8fe8f882aa437c48674cca9.png

Interesting!  I've never noticed those 'Export Options' before, but when I clicked options to see what was selected, I noticed that none are selected by default when exporting as .HTML.  However if clicking the options button, when exporting as .ENEX then all options are auto-selected, and unchangeable/greyed-out, except for Tags. Below is a screenshot of how EN defaults for me.

image.png.f516ff8ddd17cd832479ecf138f9ffa0.png

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, lisec said:

I don't think we have "note-id" in Windows, or if we do, it is under the hood and we can't see it.

I extract note-id from the note-link; for example evernote:///view/nnnnnn/s10/958b02e0-faef-4317-aa26-53d69b345e14/958b02e0-faef-4317-aa26-53d69b345e14/]

When a note in my HTML backup has such a link, I can search for "958b02e0-faef-4317-aa26-53d69b345e14" to retrieve the linked note

42 minutes ago, lisec said:

On windows when you export a note to html you get to choose from a bunch of meta data and it goes into the note.So for example, this appears below the note title when I open the html file:

image.png.598bc061014b1206169735e106c024c4.png

I just did a test-export of a Note, exporting as HTML, and selecting ALL available options.  Interestingly, the resulting HTML file Meta-data only showed: Created / Updated / Source!  So the other options did not appear like it did in your screen-shot...hmmmm

EDIT:  But then doing an export to HTML test on another note did return 'Author'.  So I guess depends on the nature of how the note was created which determines if the metadata was generated.

4 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

I just did a test-export of a Note, exporting as HTML, and selecting ALL available options.  Interestingly, the resulting HTML file Meta-data only showed: Created / Updated / Source!  So the other options did not appear like it did in your screen-shot...hmmmm

maybe the fields are not filled?

Edited by lisec
*not* filled rather than the original "filled"

I Found the solution to the truncated thing, by the way. I'll edit this to provide more details in a few minutes, but for now, you get the full non-truncated title ONLY if you export one file at a time, and select "Export as Single html web page". 

Yup. 1 file at a time. It's going to be a very long next 7 days.

Edit: To be fair, if you select multiple files and "Export as multiple web pages (html)" you will get an index file called "Evernote_Index.html" and when you open that, it includes the full titles with a link to the title's url within that folder. So... it's a crappy work around if you ask me because

1. it's just an extra step to see your full file names and
  2. if you export new files into the same folder you end up with an another Evernote Index and
  3. if you happen to export duplicates (easy to do if you forget that you already exported some notes) then you end up with duplicates and triplicates all over the place because Evernote doesn't overwrite, it just adds a [2] at the end of the html file and its corresponding folder.
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, lisec said:

you get the full non-truncated title ONLY if you export one file at a time, and select "Export as Single html web page". 

Yup. 1 file at a time. It's going to be a very long next 7 days.

cool... great find and thanks for sharing. 

EDIT:* Correction... when I just tested exporting multiple files to HTML... the full titles were retained no issues at all!  However instead of getting multiple HTML files they were all merged into one... so if wanting to search in title from MS Explorer, prob better to export whole notebook

13 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

cool... great find and thanks for sharing. 

EDIT:* Correction... when I just tested exporting multiple files to HTML... the full titles were retained no issues at all!  However instead of getting multiple HTML files they were all merged into one... so if wanting to search in title from MS Explorer, prob better to export whole notebook

Yeah, I don't consider that an option really. I mean if we only relied on search, we might was well just have one large Evernote note with everything in it, or one large file in our windows Documents folder with everything in it. That's not the way people do things (rightly or wrongly). My guess is that option is there as a last resort type of thing, where you have confidence in being able to access your data the way it is, but if *everything* goes sideways, then at least you know you've got one big file with everything in it just in case.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, lisec said:

Windows Search doesn't find anything in html files! 

HTML search and longer file names work for me.

Basics here sorry, but be sure the folder in which you are placing the files is included in Windows indexing.  Type Indexing Options in the search bar to get there quickly.  Also be sure Windows Search is active in services. 

ScreenClip.png.3bc2e223ea1387e902b10755d075a136.png

Based upon the loss of Local notebooks I've been looking at using Windows folders and index/search as a replacement.  Though as most of the notes contain a single PDF the concept is to save those attachments to a simple folder structure and PDF print the rest of them to the same structure.  Windows Search works well in my testing.  I have always uniformly turned off Windows Indexing as it is such a resource hog.  I am limiting Windows indexing to only the folders for my "Local" notebooks.  FWIW.

EDIT:

I used export as multiple files in my test.

ScreenClip.png.c9751fed96d3f0615ec19094c537af46.png

• Like 1