M1 Macbook with Big Sur ... “Evernote Legacy” requires update!

“Evernote Legacy” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

V10 is unusable for me. if EN Legacy doesn't run on my brand new macbook i'm going to have to end my decade long reliance on this software ...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5

It is known that Apple is making notarisation stricter with each release of MacOS. 

In this case I am not sure whether the problem is related to the M1-SOC which relies on Rosetta 2 to run x86 apps, or on BigSur in general. On my Mac running Catalina I can’t remember I ever received a warning for the EN client running there (which is practically identical to „legacy). Usually apps that will not run under BigSur will tell this in advance.

We will see what other legacy users report on BigSur alone or in combination with Apple Silicon.

• Like 2

I am running Catalina and got the same error message - “Evernote Legacy” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

I need the Legacy app to fix the local notebook export error as a result of upgrading to 10.3.7

• Sad 1

Update: I just tried running Evernote Legacy and it worked this time. The only update I did was to Evernote going to 10.4 but I don't think that's what made it work. In any case, I now have my "used to be" offline notebook in Evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Why should they do it ? Legacy is supported as a bridge, while v10 gains features with the new releases. EN made it very clear that legacy will not continue forever. The notarisation by Apple is a mainly automated process - the developer compiles the software with a tool provided by Apple, this is embedded into the code, which is checked on upload. If o.k., the program is allowed.

There is nothing in this to boast about, and if you are going to discontinue a piece of software anyhow one day, the less.

Legacy may be used to support workflows now, but it is no long term solution.

10 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Why should they do it ? Legacy is supported as a bridge, while v10 gains features with the new releases.

Because of all the people pissed about v10 and still relying on Legacy? 

Because new users might not choose Evernote now because it lacks features they want that are still available in Legacy? 

Because it's an opportunity to reassure new and old users that they value us and understand our requirements so we should stick around?

Because it could easily be great marketing if spun as an example of solid support for their user base, an indication of their continuity and reliability as a company in a time when there've been several articles about very real reasons to doubt it.

Your points about not panicking and Legacy being a bridge are very well taken, but your seeming commitment to the idea that this hasn't been very poorly handled by EN is contradicted by hundreds of comments here, as well as the basic outline of events.  I don't see how it's arguable that Evernote was ham-handed here at very best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Just an assumption: BigSur will identify it as a x86-app and will automatically try to open it with Rosetta 2.

What will happen then, whoever knows ?

If you want to find out, donate me an M1 MacBook (I prefer the Pro, but an Air will do ...), and I will post the outcome 😎

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...