Export functionality gone to export all notes in one step ?

Hi all, to take a full backup of all ( ! ) notes was possible in earlier versions and I used that quite regulary 

Now I find this functionality only on notebook level and I have a lot of them, pretty annoying to perform this export on that level for backup reasons.

Is this "export all notes" feature gone or am I only not able to find that any more ?

Many thx

Uwe

• Level 5*

Hi.  A lot of features were stripped out for the new cut-down launch version. If your issue relates to one of these you can get it back by going 'legacy*',  but many are -at least temporarily- unavailable.  We don't yet know what's coming back,  or in what timescale or order.  Sorry.

*See: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Uwe_K said:

Is this "export all notes" feature gone or am I only not able to find that any more ?

Quoting from the release notes; But please be aware that there are a handful of features— ...—that are not yet available. If your workflow depends on these features, you can continue to use our legacy apps. 

I'm still using the Legacy product.  If you need to re-install, @gazumped provided a link above 

• Like 1

I have see the option of using the legacy version ... but this is only for the time beeing as Evernote says themselves. I understand things change and are streamlined in an appliction, but being able ( as in previous version ) to create an own backup of your notes is essential ... especially if someone uses focusses complety on Evernote for organizing notes.

Plus : this is funtionality that existed already ...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Uwe_K said:

but this is only for the time beeing as Evernote says themselves.

Most features will be returning says Evernote.  When that happens you will should able to use v10 in pretty much the same way that you used to use the previous versions.  Until that happens,  Legacy has more options than 10.

• Like 2
On 11/17/2020 at 7:20 AM, gazumped said:

Most features will be returning says Evernote.  When that happens you will should able to use v10 in pretty much the same way that you used to use the previous versions.  Until that happens,  Legacy has more options than 10.

I usually find it trite when people say that a new release is really a Beta, but if EN's outright saying they plan to return most features, then how could they deny that's the case here?

Any idea why they wouldn't just wait until they had something at least close to feature-complete?  EN isn't the first core piece of the productivity suite I rely on that's done this.  "All-New FreshBooks" did the same thing something like three years ago and is still missing features that keep me stuck on "FreshBooks Classic".  When Apple gutted iWork the reason was obvious: to rebuild from the ground up for full compatibility with iOS versions, which also took an appallingly long time.  I can't understand why others do this, though.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Enteecee said:

Any idea why they wouldn't just wait until they had something at least close to feature-complete?

No one has actually said this to me,  but when the red fog of "why would you do that to me..." wore off,  I considered that Evernote have as many customers around the world as the entire population of the US (well about 80% anyway...) and if you were planning to handbrake turn a multi-thousand-ton supertanker (today is Mixed Metaphor Day) you might want to attach a few training wheels and safety straps before you hit the pedals. 

They just launched a completely new and different,  re-engineered,  server based version of their service which - while it had been beta tested by a few thousand users,  was about to be run in the real world by tens of millions of users with different use cases and wildly different skill levels.

They kept the legacy version around for a safety belt,  and launched a simplified version of the product - mainly so that the server could handle the bandwidth of lots of up and downloads.  The intention was - I'm guessing - to sort out bugs and generally get things back up to speed as quickly as possible.  Confident that they can now pilot and complete new features much more quickly that before,  someone may have felt that it would be all up and running before we really noticed.  They were wrong.

None of that in any way excuses them for not telling us what was going to be happening,  telling us that it was about to start,  and then telling us again what's being fixed and what's in the pipeline to avoid a monster attack of red fog syndrome around the planet.  But I guess that's corporate politics for you...

🙄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

...  But I guess that's corporate politics for you...

🙄

Indeed it is.  And it STILL could have been done better.

As I said in another thread, there never should have been a "Legacy" version.  FreshBooks had a similar problem - working with an almost 20 year old database system that they needed to get off of.  They launched the new version too early, as well, in my opinion, but they moved users over intelligently.  They looked at who used what, and offered customers who used the only the features they had running the exciting opportunity to switch!  As features were added back, they extended that offer to users of those features.  Then they officially launched and rebranded the old as "Classic".  Everyone was offered the opportunity to switch over without changing their plan.  No one was forced to migrate.  Three years later I'm still on Classic waiting for a few important items.

It was so much better than this experience with Evernote, and yet I wonder how many potential new customers they're losing while marketing the new version as "prime" if those customers expect the features that still haven't arrived.  At this point, certainly no more than those who wouldn't have signed up to Classic, which is more robust but looks like it was designed in 2005... because it was.

Thanks for elucidating at least one good take on how Evernote got to this point with this release.  Hopefully, they'll get back to having a current version that's usable for me, but in the meantime they're really tarnishing what was still a pretty dang good name.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Enteecee said:

As I said in another thread, there never should have been a "Legacy" version ... rebranded the old as "Classic". 

I have no preference for branding as "Legacy" or "Classic"   
I appreciate Windows/Mac users have the option.  IOS users should also have a Legacy option

I don't care about the branding except in what it expresses, which is a real thing; an approach they took based on a particular outlook, both of which I think are really misguided.  My point isn't about branding, it's that v10 is clearly not the primary Evernote experience yet and shouldn't have been treated as such so soon.  "Legacy" should have retained that position as they phased both features and users onto the new platform.  Both versions are available now anyway, so nothing would have been different except user perception and the disaffection and even anger they've stirred up would have been entirely avoided.