[Fixed in Version 10.5] Issues with Search in Shared Notebooks

bowhall

Idea

The new macOS (v10.x) and iOS versions of Evernote do not seem to allow me to search through Shared notebooks. I have to manually go dig up the notes I'm looking for. This was a problem on the beta version of the app which I reported several times, but it doesn't seem to be addressed. My business partner is also having search issues, so I don't think this is just me. Is anyone else having trouble with this?

- Garrett

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5

The inability to search in any content shared to you by somebody else was noticed by others and myself shortly after being bumped up to EN v10 iOS. I reported it by support ticket:

EN knows, they are working in it, not release date. 

There are more issues with sharing, but this is among the one that creates the most problems with shared content. Sharing was once the shining diamond in the EN crown - IMHO it was replaced by a piece of coal. Chemically spoken it is still the same ... just close to useless if you have a large number of notes in a share.

Workaround: Ask the person who made the share to search it for you, and send it by mail 🤯 sorry for that.

Thank you for writing me back! I guess we are all just waiting. It's incredibly frustrating because I reported this problem to them in the summer through their beta program. This seems like a substantial search issue. Hoping they resolve it soon.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hope so too. It is just there are several issues reported to be send in during beta, and they are still not working. So either they lost control over beta, or reached a point where their own backlog did not stop them from trying the 100%-beta in which we all participate.

Let us see whether this search issue is accidental, or whether there is a fundamental problem with the framework they used to program v10.

Is anyone else seeing at least some support for Shared Search in the last few days? I opened up a shared notebook and it spent a minute reloading all of the notes. I THINK it is working again, but I also saw some notes still not come through.

On both my iPhone and iPad Pro Evernote will load and all my files are there.  I can add a new file.  However, when I search the app quits and sends me back to the screen  (page) on my device where the app itself resides.  I don't have a similar problem in my iMac where I have used EN for over 4 years.  Today I went directly to https://evernote.com/login and with that donload I can seach the data base!  So I would say the problem is with the Evernote app in the AppStore at Apple.  Does anyone know if EN is aware of this problem and if so are they working on it?  Thanks for help.

I'm having the same issue and contacted Evernote support. After some weeks of back and forth with the support they are now telling me that the functionality of "search for shared notes" has not been implemented but is currently just being considered:

Upon further checking, we haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you.

My jaw just dropped. I'm a paying Evernote user since some time. But that searching for shared notes is a feature that they are only just considering is incomprehensible to me. Unfortunately my scanner currently only supports Evernote for indexed scans - so I can't really move to another provider. But I will try to investigate some alternative. 

@Anananas

Thank you for keeping after them and finding out they have left us all hanging. I use Evernote with a team of people, and this won't work for us any longer. I've started researching alternatives but will start figuring out a migration plan. After some initial research, it looks like OneNote from Microsoft is the closest competitor (and it's free). There is a chance that it can index the scans as well.

- Garrett

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Just a word of warning from other users: ON seems to have a syncing problem when the size of the stored information exceeds a certain size. It seems that throwing several thousand EN notes at it leads to performance issues.

This is from other threads, I have only a short experience with ON several years back. I simply did not like the „touch & feel“ of it.

For me it is legacy on desktop, and waiting how v10 will evolve.

My only guess is that when they rebuilt this new version from the ground up, some technical limitation prevents them from doing it. Evernote either forgot to account for it or deemed it not worth the extra work. There are only enough of us to cause a small stink but not worth their trouble. At least that's how it feels.

The latest version for Windows has fixed this issue. I tested it last night and was able to search in shared folders again. I am very pleased that EN 10 continues to make strides but it would be nice if these forums were moderated and someone had stated that something is expected to be fixed instead of frustrating everyone with silence.

I have been using Evernote since 2010 on several different iPhones, an iPad and my windows laptop. Mostly (still) with a premium account. It works fine on the laptop and online. On iOS however it has been a total disaster for 1,5 years now. I frequently (try to) use a stack of shared notebooks with searches for specific notes. But they just don't load. The search goes on for minutes without results. The only thing I can do is scroll manually through the notes to find the right one. It is frustrating. The person I share the notebooks with does not have these issues. We're on the same infrastructure. He has a basic account (mind you)..... I just put all notebooks on offline access on my iphone, but with no result, still no realistic, feasible search performance. 

What could be the problem for these extremely slow searches? Why don't I get a search result for notes I know are there? How can it be that I pay good money for a premium account but am out performed by some one with a basic account? 

• Level 5

Hi All, 

I wanted to provide an update on this issue.

Currently, you cannot search within shared notebooks.

However, we have been working on this issue and it should be addressed very soon.

I'll provide more information here once I have an update.