PDFs - only see first page

Go to solution Solved by Paul A.,

Just posted this as a response in the Windows community.  Posting here since I am a Mac user:

PDFs only display the first page of the PDF.  Example:  I have a PDF of my Visa Bill in an Evernote note.   It is about 35Kb and is the only thing in the note.

- Evernote client on one Mac (my home system) running Evernote 7.14 under Catalina 10.15.7 - all pages are visible and all render as expected

- Evernote client on different Mac (work) running Evernote 10.3.7, also under Catalina 10.15.7, only displays the first page of the PDF.   Scrolling down, it just stops after the first page like there are no additional pages.   When I download the PDF to the Mac, then open it with Preview, I see all 4 pages of the PDF as expected.

- Evernote via Web interface has the same behavior as 10.3.7 - only the first page of the PDF is rendered.   I have tried this with both Safari and Firefox, and on both computers.   All behave the same (incorrectly).

- iOS (iPad) Evernote 10.1 seems to display the PDF correctly (all 4 pages).

Something changed and I need this to work on my home system - (how can I revert the client back to 7.14 until this is fixed?).   Evernote, please escalate this and address it.  

This is urgent.

• Solution
2 hours ago, scottvb said:

Just posted this as a response in the Windows community.  Posting here since I am a Mac user:

PDFs only display the first page of the PDF.  Example:  I have a PDF of my Visa Bill in an Evernote note.   It is about 35Kb and is the only thing in the note.

- Evernote client on one Mac (my home system) running Evernote 7.14 under Catalina 10.15.7 - all pages are visible and all render as expected

- Evernote client on different Mac (work) running Evernote 10.3.7, also under Catalina 10.15.7, only displays the first page of the PDF.   Scrolling down, it just stops after the first page like there are no additional pages.   When I download the PDF to the Mac, then open it with Preview, I see all 4 pages of the PDF as expected.

- Evernote via Web interface has the same behavior as 10.3.7 - only the first page of the PDF is rendered.   I have tried this with both Safari and Firefox, and on both computers.   All behave the same (incorrectly).

- iOS (iPad) Evernote 10.1 seems to display the PDF correctly (all 4 pages).

Something changed and I need this to work on my home system - (how can I revert the client back to 7.14 until this is fixed?).   Evernote, please escalate this and address it.  

This is urgent.

Do you see any arrows near the bottom of the first page of the PDF (easy to miss if you're not looking for them) which allow scrolling through each page of the pdf? Alternatively, if you click on the title at the top of the pdf, then click on the three dots overflow menu, you'll see some "view as" options which can change the way pdfs are displayed.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Thank you Paul A.  ... you are spot on.   I didn't see the arrows near the bottom of the first page because the mouse pointer was not on the page as I scrolled down.   Also, the three-dots overflow menu allowed me to change the way PDFs are viewed, back to the way I am used to seeing them.   Thank you !!!

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the arrows to move through pages isn't a solution.  Evernote isn't Facebook, it's a productivity app, and having to click through many-page PDFs is not a productive use for time.  

Nor is having to click, slide, target, click to get access to a multipage view.  Flipping through lots of Evernote notes to find the PDF you're looking for now only lets you see the first part of the docs.

At a minimum, there should be a preference to have this default to multipage view instead of single page view.  Unfortunately, we also lost the ability to set preferences....

Seriously, Evernote team, you're better than all this.  You built a delightful, productive tool.  Could you please focus getting back to there?

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

While I understand the urge to simplify Evernote, anything that adds clicks to the workflow is not a good idea.

Having to hit those arrows left and right and not being able to quickly scroll thru PDFs without first telling that it's (still) what I want to do is a dumbfounding step back. 

I'm not sure who would want to be presented with just the first page of their PDFs with no clear indication that there are other pages, but if these people exist GREAT, please give us and them the option to configure Evernote to behave the way we need. The 'display PDF as' option should be global, not a note by note thing. 

I'd trade that feature for the scratchpad or fancy new UI any day. Evernote is about speed, clarity and reliable searching in my book. 

Fab Dupont (member since 2008)

• Like 3