unusable shortcuts on non-American keyboards

Puredwige

Hello,

Many keyboard shortcuts are unusable on non-American keyboards. It changes for each keyboard, but for instance Ctrl + Alt + number is often used to write characters, making the associated shortcut unusable. Is there a workaround for this?

I use Evernote to file all my incoming mail, and use tags to categorize them. I will often add 100+ notes at a time, and need a way to quickly go through the work of tagging them.

What I really would love would be to have a way to go through all notes without ever touching my mouse.

Here is the procedure I would need, as best I can tell:

1. Click F3 to activate the tag field
  2. enter the tags using Enter
  3. Set the focus back to the note list using Ctrl + Alt + \
  4. go to the next note using the down arrow

However, the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + \ does not work on Swiss keyboards, since the \ character is not assigned to a specific key. Indeed, to write \ you need to press Ctrl + Alt + <

Is there a workaround for this?

Puredwige

• Level 5*
On 11/23/2020 at 5:46 AM, Puredwige said:

Anyone?

May not be the answer you seek but I create my own shortcuts to get around conflicts or those shortcuts that get borked by competing apps.  I use AutoHotKey to get this done.  You do need to be comfortable with some simple "coding".  Basically you replicate the keystrokes you use in AHK. 

Similar to your example I wanted to rename some PDFs contained in notes to the note title.  This is a multi step mouse and keyboard affair.  With two AHK hotkeys I now rename and move to the next in list.  Hotkey one <Alt><+> gets to the point of putting the name in the rename dialogue, hotkey two <Alt><-> accepts the name and moves to the next note.  Broke into two so as to be sure as I was working in a local notebook.  No failing system level hotkeys though.  Code sample below.  FYI,  <Win><Ctrl><T>, #^t,  is a hotkey to copy the note title.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.e579ce759d1fb003d594f2251cedfa21.png

9 hours ago, CalS said:

May not be the answer you seek but I create my own shortcuts to get around conflicts or those shortcuts that get borked by competing apps.  I AutoHotKey to get this done.  You do need to be comfortable with some simple "coding".  Basically you replicate the keystrokes you use in AHK. 

Similar to your example I wanted to rename some PDFs contained in notes to the note title.  This is a multi step mouse and keyboard affair.  With two AHK hotkeys I now rename and move to the next in list.  Hotkey one <Alt><+> gets to the point of putting the name in the rename dialogue, hotkey two <Alt><-> accepts the name and moves to the next note.  Broke into two so as to be sure as I was working in a local notebook.  No failing system level hotkeys though.  Code sample below.  FYI,  <Win><Ctrl><T>, #^t,  is a hotkey to copy the note title.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.e579ce759d1fb003d594f2251cedfa21.png

This looks great! I didn't know about AutoHotKey. I think this should work well. I'm going to try to set it up.