Definitive list of previous features NOT supported in v10

Rabbit704

Idea

Don't you just love how Evernote continue to balls up their releases!? NOT. I have be using Evernote for over 10 years and it never ceases to amaze me how the company can cycle through so many CEOs and senior management but the culture of not giving a &%#$@# for their existing premium customers remain. Once again we have a release that is not only late by over a year (according to Ian Small's original representations) but then gets rushed out the door incomplete, not properly tested and with significant functional downgrades that are not completely explained (but the typical marketing BS around the new features is plastered everywhere to see like we really care. Well, we do, but only after we know that we have not gone backwards elsewhere). I have searched the forums and official release documentation for the best I can find is the following list (from: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889214-What-s-new-in-Evernote-for-Mac), which at least admits is not exhaustive:

864161252_Nonexhaustivelist.png.c87216a35654f36f9b3d780c8adf30e9.png

So where is the exhaustive list so that long time users like myself can use to make an informed decision about when to make the leap into the abyss of v10? Just like others, I have no desire to upgrade when basic functionality like CMD J and tag hierarchy is not supported (well I assume it isn't but can't even confirm that, other than noting that Evernote for Web has lost tag hierarchy support. I mean, WTF!? 10 years of building a great hierarchical tag system and .. wooosh .. it's gone, without any clear communication. Please tell me I am wrong. Please.)

If anyone can point me to the exhaustive list of downgrades I am going to experience when I am eventually dragged kicking and screaming onto v10, that would be wonderful.

P.S. I am not interested in responses from Guru fan boys looking to defend to Evernote's latest debacle of release. Save your keystrokes. I get that you love Evernote and are offended when someone speaks ill of your friend. I am just interested in the list. Show me the list. I am pretty sure there won't be one but hope that I am wrong.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 11/15/2020 at 8:19 PM, Rabbit704 said:

So where is the exhaustive list so that long time users like myself can use to make an informed decision about when to make the leap into the abyss of v10?

I don"t have a list but I advise users to hold off installing the Version 10 product until the work is completed     
The Legacy product continues to work well for  me

edit; My reason for staying with the Legacy product is in addition to working well,   
I don't see anything in Version 10 that makes me want to switch     
In fact, reading the release notes indicates Version 10 is a work-in-process and not ready for general use    
My must have feature is Applescript  integration (Mac)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Version 10 lasted about an hour on my desktop before I was looking for the last V7.14 install file. Way too many regressions to make it worthwhile to make the move. I'm now looking at whether I should have a backup plan and/or replacement if Evernote stumbles big time over V10. 

Does anyone know whether Evernote V10 supports the new Apple M1 chip?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, sdolan said:

Version 10 lasted about an hour on my desktop before I was looking for the last V7.14 install file. Way too many regressions to make it worthwhile to make the move. I'm now looking at whether I should have a backup plan and/or replacement if Evernote stumbles big time over V10. 

Does anyone know whether Evernote V10 supports the new Apple M1 chip?

Be prepared that it will be much slower, or unusable, battery consuming. They fall behind Apple's development.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Jason Sherron said:

I didn't choose to upgrade to whatever seeming BETA this thing currently is

Why did you upgrade?  Why are you still running the Version 10 product?
I made the choice not to upgrade to the Version 10 product
The Legacy product is working well for  me.  It can be dowloaded at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314?fbclid=IwAR2TNqp-eGRH3Ds8Vfu-CiKPjYolJzZ_keR9eWQaDahJ2GN-7hwn595zI8w&__s=bsetfdgzirbvqtopurph

• Thanks 1

Good idea, maybe folks would like to share missing (or new) features that has caused them to stay with V7.14. For me it included lack for support for the macOS Share menu and no integration with the Finder menu (Add to Evernote). Second was the regression in the Evernote Helper in the macOS menu. 

I didn't have a problem with the new UI design, just the lack of core features that make V7.14 so useful. 

Cheers, Steve

10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don"t have aa list but I advise users to hold on installing the Version 10 product until the work is completed     
The Legacy product continues to work well for  me

Agree and intend to do so. However, the annoying prompt to upgrade to v10 has now started in the legacy version so I am trying to prepare for the forthcoming forced upgrade. It's just incredible that despite the obviously significant functional downgrades in v10 (that I know of - hence my post) that Evernote are still trying to promote users upgrading. It's only because I have been burnt too many times before by Evernote that I am not another one of the poor suckers that recently upgraded to v10 thinking there is no way that Evernote would be so reckless to release such a dog of an "upgrade" (yes, it looks nice but function trumps form ALWAYS with productivity apps - Evernote should know this by now). Live and learn.

32 minutes ago, Rabbit704 said:

Agree and intend to do so. However, the annoying prompt to upgrade to v10 has now started in the legacy version so I am trying to prepare for the forthcoming forced upgrade. It's just incredible that despite the obviously significant functional downgrades in v10 (that I know of - hence my post) that Evernote are still trying to promote users upgrading. It's only because I have been burnt too many times before by Evernote that I am not another one of the poor suckers that recently upgraded to v10 thinking there is no way that Evernote would be so reckless to release such a dog of an "upgrade" (yes, it looks nice but function trumps form ALWAYS with productivity apps - Evernote should know this by now). Live and learn.

I suspect they don't know, or they wanna convert Evernote into another Facebook: pop up COLORFUL UI. See their recent email that their selling points for v10 are so vague, like "amazing fast search". How fast is it?

• Like 1

Does anyone here know if v10 supports tag hierarchies? As I mentioned in my original post, I see that Evernote for Web doesn't, and given that Evernote for Mac and Evernote for Windows are now meant to have a similar UI and feature parity, my assumption is that it doesn't. However, I just cannot confirm this as I cannot find any documentation on this. Also, if it isn't supported yet, does anyone know if this is because they just don't intend to reimplement it or they just dropped it temporarily to get v10 launched? 

1 hour ago, Rabbit704 said:

Does anyone here know if v10 supports tag hierarchies? As I mentioned in my original post, I see that Evernote for Web doesn't, and given that Evernote for Mac and Evernote for Windows are now meant to have a similar UI and feature parity, my assumption is that it doesn't. However, I just cannot confirm this as I cannot find any documentation on this. Also, if it isn't supported yet, does anyone know if this is because they just don't intend to reimplement it or they just dropped it temporarily to get v10 launched? 

Is this what you mean? I can have sub-tag on Web. Drag and drop.

Screenshot 2020-11-17 at 7.29.46 PM.png

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Alvin C said:

Is this what you mean? I can have sub-tag on Web. Drag and drop.

Yes @Alvin C, that's exactly what I mean, but I do not see this when I view via Evernote for Web. Refer following screenshot. I also just created a tag as a test and no option presented itself to add into a hierarchy. It just creates the tag in the flat structure as shown in the screen shot. Perhaps Evernote have rolled out different functionality in various locations? I am in Australia.

937207693_ScreenShot2020-11-18at11_44_19am.png.bca89af170b7d117875168c2842cfadb.png

• Level 5

V10 supports tag hierarchy, now even on the iOS client. 

Here is the not very intuitive way of how to nest a tag on EN v10.1 iOS:

1. In the left column, select „tags“
  2. Now all tags will be shown in the main window, with their nesting. Click on the 3 dots top right, select edit tags.
  3. 3 dots will show behind all tags. Click on the one you want to edit, and choose „move tag“ from the short menu that appears. (In my test, some tags did not allow for being moved, the option was grayed out).
  4. Click on the tag you want to move the selected tag into, confirm, and the tag is moved there.

Better than before, when iOS only showed „flat“ tags even when they were nested on the desktop. But many clicks for little effect, no way to select and move multiple tags at once. And no drag & drop, which IMHO would be the natural solution to move a single tab around.

• Like 1

I just now discovered the gaping AppleScript omission. That is just the last in a litany of holes in this edition, and I didn't choose to upgrade to whatever seeming BETA this thing currently is. I'm 10+ years paid and this thing is bug-riddled and half-assed at best. I've reported probably 50 significant bugs in the "feedback" tool, never hear a thing, and their support tells me to come here. I'm a disgusted paid user who's about to lapse. Don't take the plunge.

4 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

Yes @Alvin C, that's exactly what I mean, but I do not see this when I view via Evernote for Web. Refer following screenshot. I also just created a tag as a test and no option presented itself to add into a hierarchy. It just creates the tag in the flat structure as shown in the screen shot. Perhaps Evernote have rolled out different functionality in various locations? I am in Australia.

937207693_ScreenShot2020-11-18at11_44_19am.png.bca89af170b7d117875168c2842cfadb.png

Move your cursor to the tag you want, and a "..." will show. Tap it and there is a menu like below.

1DA56CBA-2294-421D-8767-188FDCA5FDF6.jpeg

Here's a list of removed features I'm missing, in the sense that my workflow is impacted by these.  I've submitted tickets on all of these, and I recommend others do so too. Evernote needs to be convinced to prioritize usability over eye candy.

- No longer in share menu, so no easy way to move a PDF in Preview to a note

- evernote: URLs no longer work from other apps

- simplifying formatting of text is much more time consuming

- Following a link from note to note within Evernote now is harder (click target click instead of just click)

- Viewing multipage PDFs is not a complete and repeated pain in the neck

- Drag and drop of a PDF to create a note fails intermittently, sometime losing the note and sometimes taking minutes for the note to appear

- Sync sometimes takes several minutes to move from one Mac to another; bring back the sync button

- You can no longer drag a PDF out of a note and drop in another application, i.e. for upload

- Search does not always find tags

- Safari web clipper hangs intermittently when clipping a PDF, losing the note

- No way to create a table-of-contents note from selected notes

Plus a few more...

• Like 2

Downgrading to the legacy^h^h^h^h^h^h working Evernote 7 on my macOS Catalina with Evernote 10 previously installed via the Mac App Store has left me with a broken install.

- evernote: links no longer work

- Some notes created on Evernote 10, visible on iOS and web, are not synching to the Mac Evernote 7

- Web clipper only does spinning wheel

Next step:  Clean Evernote entirely off, then ask Visa if I can get my subscription funds back before decided whether to try again or switch to DEVONthink.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:56 PM, Alvin C said:

Move your cursor to the tag you want, and a "..." will show. Tap it and there is a menu like below.

I do not get these options @Alvin C. There are no 3 dots next to my tags. Only a downward chevron which you can see in the following screenshot, which then shows the contextual menu that does not have nesting options like you get. 

70634760_ScreenShot2020-11-19at6_43_51pm.png.9020bfa62f12ccd449c572857e0be38b.png

Also, If you look at the screenshot in my previous post you can see the flat list of tags on the right, yet those tags are nested when I look at them in my current Evernote for Mac v7.x. There is clearly something different about your Evernote for Web and mine.

@Rabbit704 What browser and platform are you using? If you click on your username (near the top-left of Evernote for web), what version of Evernote for Web does it say you are running? I see 10.4.2 using Chrome for macOS, for reference, and I see the three dot overflow menu allowing for tag nesting (both on web and desktop).

10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

What browser and platform are you using?

@Paul A. Hmmm .. mine is showing "Evernote Web v5.33.0" on latest version of macOS Chrome "Version 87.0.4280.67 (Official Build) (x86_64). I am going to clear the cache and see if Evernote for Web reloads your version.

UPDATE: I have just set up Evernote for Web on latest versions of Safari and Firefox. Both are showing v5.33.0. It looks like there is some server side setting that Evernote have set that is preventing me from getting the latest version of Evernote for Web. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 10.00.31 am.png

• Confused 1

That's interesting @Rabbit704, I have no idea why your account would still be restricted to 5.33 but I agree that some kind of server-side switch needs to be flipped for you. If the missing features are important to you, perhaps a message to Evernote support will help get you bumped to a more recent version of the web app.

12 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I have no idea why your account would still be restricted to 5.33 

@Paul A.I just saw in the following post that others have been advised by Evernote Support that they are stuck on v5.33 because they have "a lot of notes". That is probably the reason Evernote have not upgraded me yet as I have 40K+ notes, the consequence of being a 10+ year power user. I feel so special that Evernote look after their long time Premium customers like me. 🤔

that 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

@Paul A.I just saw in the following post that others have been advised by Evernote Support that they are stuck on v5.33 because they have "a lot of notes". That is probably the reason Evernote have not upgraded me yet as I have 40K+ notes, the consequence of being a 10+ year power user. I feel so special that Evernote look after their long time Premium customers like me. 🤔

that 

That's really interesting; thank you for sharing. They must have concerns about performance or stability with a very large number of notes. While I'm surprised it's taking so long, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they feel confident enough to upgrade users with large note collections. 

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Jason Sherron said:

TIL Encryption of note text isn't supported yet in Mac or Windows. Hey Evernote, I just moved all my important notes to Lastpass in response!

888123925_ScreenShot2020-11-21at15_09_23.png.b44bd9009efedf142c52e68636305030.png

• Like 1

Key Features for me that are missing in Ver 10 (the one's I've encountered so far...):

• Ability to share a note as an email to someone.   (no longer an option in the share menu.)
  • Drag and drop (from note list, to another note) no longer creates a link.  Have to use the much more time consuming keyboard shortcut OR right click, menu choice to get a link to a note.
  • Fonts...  this one is mentioned a lot elsewhere - but I don't like the limited fonts at all.  I want the specific look of my notes back!
  • Still unclear RE offline functionality - Would LOVE to see an official EN clarification on that.  

On the Plus side - I'm appreciating that lists (bullets and checklists) can now be drag and dropped..  

• Like 1

It appears the share screen function on iOS does not work either. You get a "session required" notice when trying to use it on the iPhone. Its always worked until I did the recent v10 update. Signing out and signing back in again does not work, restarting the phone doesn't work, and even removing the icon from the share screen menu doesn't work, so you can't really reinstall it there. Sad. I loved this feature. I don't think I can revert back to the old iOS version, unless someone can share the secret.