Come on Evernote - admit version 10 has FAILED.

NightStalker

Idea

The ongoing disaster that is Evernote v10 on all platforms is what will bring Evernote, the company, down. Ian Small needs to step up to the plate, take responsibility, pull all version 10s of Evernote off the markets, and restore the previous versions.

And he needs to do it NOW...!

We are seeing large numbers of long time Evernote users deserting the platform, moving to Notion, Bear, Apple Notes, Notejoy, and others.  Of those who are persisting with Evernote, we are seeing massive frustration, disappointment, data loss, and anger.  Evernote has lost many of its good features, and the features that it has retained don't work.

For the sake of the company and all Evernote users who have stuck with the app across multiple platforms - admit defeat NOW.  You screwed up.  The re-write is a total disaster, and Evernote is largely unusable now.

I understand the need by the programmers and the executives to self-justify trying to persist with version 10 - but please DON'T. It is *****.  It is not even at the Alpha stage of preparedness.  It is rubbish.  It has FAILED...!

Man up, admit the failure, learn from it, revert to the previous versions across all platforms, and just keep it running smoothly - as it was.

And if Ian Small won't do the right thing by all his paying users, then sack him and bring in a CEO who can rescue the company from going down the gurgler.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 replies to this idea

When iOS v10.0 was released, I already urged here the company to quickly fixed bugs every 2 to 3 days, but they ended up every week, and since v10.0.4, three weeks to v10.1. The iOS is still more problematic than Mac/Windows although some may think it's usable.

Not only me but many people do urge the management to respond officially. This is the core problem of the company. Removal of functions, buggy, bloatwares... all are symptoms (just like running nose doesn't mean flu but also the possibility of COVID-19). It seems still so many people overlook the root behind - the attitude of Evernote makes everything less hopeful so users are now looking for alternatives.

Do understand that you are more than using a paper notebook like Moleskine. You are involved in a service and a product is a medium of providing services that needs to be reliable all the times. Bugs cannot be totally avoidable but the company needs to try its best not to affect customers' workflow and business. Some functions even not many users use can be an important part of the service as they can create values in it. You can't easily dump it just because only 2% are engaged in those. 

No. You are involved in more than a service, it's trust and relationship.

That's why people hope Ian Small can admit this failure. I have already said communication can solve all problems. If he could do that in the official blog when iOS version 10.0 was just released like what ex-CEO did in 2016, I am sure no one will leave Evernote and are willing to wait and see. He does miss more and more opportunities to save the company. I like the new version but can't use it because the company's attitude doesn't reassure me to stay on the boat, and I am worried that one day I will lose notes like others. Their ignorance of crises drives me away and I don't want to put my risk in such that company. That company doesn't regard users as humans, but pigs that can be fooled.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, NightStalker said:

If I could revert her iPad to the previous, smoothly running version of EN, that she knew how to use, I'd be happy. 

Agreed; a Legacy IOS version is needed   
Evernote claims Apple restricts them to a single version but I don't accept that excuse   
The Version 10 product is not ready for general use, and should not have been released without a fallback

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, NightStalker said:

restore the previous versions.

For Mac and Window users, previous versions continue to exist and can be installed    
Evernote has already released a Legacy product along side the Version 10 product   
If you're not willing to participate in the Version 10 testing; just install a legacy version   
(not available to IOS users)

I moved your post to the General Feedback forum   
Users can indicate support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

It's against forum rules to cross-post; I deleted your duplicate entry

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I moved your post to the General Issues forum   
It's against forum rules to cross post; I deleted your duplicate entry

For Mac and Window users, previous versions continue to exist and can be installed    
Evernote has already released a Legacy product along side the Version 10 release

Thanks for moving my rant to a more appropriate place.  Although a lot of people stick to the more specific forums, eg Mac, Windows, iOS, etc.

A lot of people don't use computers these days - they stick to something like an iPad, and the iOS version still doesn't work.  The share sheet doesn't work, downloading offline notes isn't working for many, PDFs continue to be a problem, and the list goes on.  You only have to read the iOS Technical Issues forum to see the problems.  My wife, for example, has possibly the most simple usage of Evernote - she stores recipes in there. Thousands of them. She gets them in there either by emailing them in, or clipping via the Share Sheet from Safari or FlipBoard.  ALL on the iPad.  She doesn't go near a computer.  So for her, the iOS "upgrade" has been an unmitigated disaster.  And unfortunately I take the brunt of her frustrations with it...! 

If I could revert her iPad to the previous, smoothly running version of EN, that she knew how to use, I'd be happy.  Oh, and my own iPad, which I need to be able to use offline most of the time - but currently can't as I can't get the offline notebooks to download.

I guess I am in the minority, but I personally like Version 10... a lot.  It is not perfect and missing some prior functions that were really useful (i.e. ability to open multiple windows, quickly switch notebooks, etc.), but after seeing them slowly restoring functions over the past few iterations (i.e. helper, internal links, etc.), I feel confident they are heading in the right direction.

As DTLow said... if you are unhappy with v10, use the Legacy.  If you are unhappy with the direction Evernote is headed, then it is probably time to look for a different solution.  Based on what I have seen, anything else involves a lot of compromises... Certainly this has involved a lot of changes to my workflows, but it is working for me.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, aukirk said:

I guess I am in the minority, but I personally like Version 10... a lot. 

As DTLow said... if you are unhappy with v10, use the Legacy. 

I suspect you are in the minority, using my missus as an example of someone who only uses the very basic functions of Evernote - and she hates the new version with a passion.

Can't use a Legacy version with iOS - there isn't one.  I'm back on v7.14 on the Mac, but my iOS versions are the new ones (iPhone, iPad) and I can't use them.  I work in an environment where there is no Internet connection, and I have always relied on Evernote's ability to download notes to be available offline.  Now I can't get my notes offline. 

As originally posted - at what point do Evernote accept they've got it so wrong and revert ALL platforms?

On 11/14/2020 at 9:52 PM, DTLow said:

imho  The Legacy product is better than the Version 10 product

I've used Evernote before they even had a web-based version (over a decade), and as a long-time premium subscriber I am so totally disgusted with vs. 10, that I'm willing to put up with learning another program, Onenote. Did Evernote even bother to ask it's users what they liked and used most? Obviously not. That and the fact that they didn't give us an opt out if the new version didn't work out. I made sure my android app won't update in the background like my tablet did. 

1 minute ago, Betz said:

I've used Evernote before they even had a web-based version (over a decade), and as a long-time premium subscriber I am so totally disgusted with vs. 10, that I'm willing to put up with learning another program, Onenote. Did Evernote even bother to ask it's users what they liked and used most? Obviously not. That and the fact that they didn't give us an opt out if the new version didn't work out. I made sure my android app won't update in the background like my tablet did. 

I forgot to mention..I  am relieved I can still use my vs. 6 on my PC, for now.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, Betz said:

the fact that they didn't give us an opt out if the new version didn't work out. I made sure my android app won't update in the background like my tablet did. 

Disabling auto update is a good practice    
For Mac/Widows, Evernote provided an opt-out solution with Evernote Legacy