Evernote Opens to an Old Search

I am running Evernote 10 for Windows on my laptop and the legacy Windows Desktop client on my desktop computer.

On the laptop (Windows 10 software), I conducted a particular search. Ever since, when I open the Evernote Windows 10 software on that laptop, it opens with that search term in the search window and the results of that search showing.

I have conducted many other searches since on that laptop. However, each time boot the computer and open Evernote, that search term and results show. 
I am not seeing that problem on the legacy desktop client on my other computer nor on Evernote Web.

Also, I notice if I clear the search the search, exit and Evernote, and restart Evernote, I do not see the problem. However, if I reboot the computer abd start Evernote, that search result appears.

• Level 5*

Hi.  To use a technical expression - that's weird...  Can't think of any way to clear whatever persistent cache you have going there.  I'd suggest reporting this to Support but as it's a nuisance rather than a problem,  it may take some time to resolve. 

2 hours ago, DrFrankBuck said:

Also, I notice if I clear the search the search, exit and Evernote, and restart Evernote, I do not see the problem. However, if I reboot the computer abd start Evernote, that search result appears.

I've also had similar problems. When you say exit EN and restart EN are you closing it in the task tray as well? I found that seemed to solve it for me.

I am having a similar problem, where Evernote 10 in Windows always opens to "Shared with Me" which is something I haven't used in years. I use Evernote for my private writing projects, not for sharing. I would prefer the app to open with my main notebook, which I use every day, but this doesn't seem to be something I can set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:36 PM, Mike P said:

I've also had similar problems. When you say exit EN and restart EN are you closing it in the task tray as well? I found that seemed to solve it for me.

I've experienced the same problem (v10.4.3 on Windows): Evernote opens at an old search, but only when starting it after a reboot.

The above solution did work for me, but with an important middle step. Specifically:

1. Open Evernote
  2. Notice it's displaying the results of an old search
  3. Close the Evernote window
  4. Notice that Evernote is still running in the system tray
  5. Click Quit Evernote from the system tray icon
  6. Open Evernote again - this is the important middle step. It doesn't display the old search.
  7. Shut down PC
  8. Start PC
  9. Open Evernote
  10. Evernote opens without displaying the old search.

Let's hope that solution sticks. Many thanks @Mike P.

This solution worked...but I had to add one thing: Clear the old search. Below is the set of instructions you provided with the addition of this step.

1. Open Evernote
  2. Notice it's displaying the results of an old search
  3. Clear the old search
  4. Close the Evernote window
  5. Notice that Evernote is still running in the system tray
  6. Click Quit Evernote from the system tray icon
  7. Open Evernote again - this is the important middle step. It doesn't display the old search
  8. Shut down PC
  9. Start PC
  10. Open Evernote
  11. Evernote opens without displaying the old search

Many thanks!

• Like 1