[Feature released in Version 10.6] Ability to edit Tables

HeBoIz

Idea

First: thanks for the new version, lots of steps in the right order, even if there are still som things to fix...

What doesnˋt work is table editing.

When I insert a table on my ipad, I get a table with 3 columns an 2 rows.

But so far I canˋt find a way to edit width, to insert or delete rows or columns...

• Like 2

45 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Note from the latest blog (https://evernote.com/blog/unlocking-evernotes-future/)

There are a handful of features (such as editing tables, widgets, and Apple Watch support) that weren’t quite ready for today’s release, but we’re actively working to get those done and you should see them in one of our regular updates. 

• Like 1

Maybe I just didn‘t found it: am I right that I‘m still not able to edit tables? (Adding row or columns, background colors etc.) This has be one of the biggest flaws in the iOS version. Any ideas?

But on the other side: look and feel is nice, it is stable, tags are nice.

I follow the discussion about using tags as filters and I would agree that it is more cumbersome to you now.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, tombe said:

am I right that I‘m still not able to edit tables?

edit: Note from blog (https://evernote.com/blog/unlocking-evernotes-future/)
There are a handful of features (such as editing tables, widgets, and Apple Watch support) that weren’t quite ready for today’s release, but we’re actively working to get those done and you should see them in one of our regular updates. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Note from the latest blog (https://evernote.com/blog/unlocking-evernotes-future/)

Thank you for this info. If I had seen this before I wouldn't have posted this as an issue.
(looks a little bit like version 10.0 is in fact a - rather good - late beta version, which now has to be end-tested and fulfilled with a couple of hopefully shortly comunc updates...)

I see the ability to add a table in iOS.  Good.  But, there is no apparent support for adding columns, color fill or any of the features of tables in Evernote.   Is this simply not built yet, or is this the actual product?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, bigtelco said:

But, there is no apparent support for adding columns, color fill or any of the features of tables in Evernote.   Is this simply not built yet, or is this the actual product?

Merged with an ongoing discussion

I see that Evernote for iOS and iPadOS appears to allow the creation of tables.   However:

• There is no mechanism to create additional columns
  • No mechanism to change formatting (background color) in cells. 
  • Scribble doesn't work properly in table cells (like it does in Apple Notes for example)
  • The same is true in iOS. 

Was this released without Evernote actually completing the feature?

• Ex Employees
On 9/16/2020 at 10:51 AM, HeBoIz said:

First: thanks for the new version, lots of steps in the right order, even if there are still som things to fix...

But so far I canˋt find a way to edit width, to insert or delete rows or columns...

We are working on table editing features and it should be available soon. 

• Level 5

The only editing I found is adding new rows.

For that you need a keyboard - either physical or softkeys - with a tab key. These are available in the AppStore for example for developers, who need a tab and an esc key. Install and select such a keyboard, or use a physical one either through BT or the connectors.

Move the cursor to the last Cell of the existing table. When hitting <tab> a new row is added. This is more or less as in the old iOS client.

But adding tables with the more flexible (but still very Basic) option before, using brackets [ ] does not work any longer. And you can’t delete a row after you have created it. So I think we agree, tables are more amiss than available.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The tool for the tables is not operational in the current iOS version.

It is there, which makes one believe that the function is already implemented. But there is nothing behind it, except placing a standard table into a note. There are no editing capabilities. EN says they will implement a full table functionality with a later release. As always, there is no roadmap or schedule.

It is one of the many missing items that make me believe this release was simply rushed on us instead of thoughtfully rolled out.

• Like 2

Do they think that intentionally adding non-functional “features” will do anything other than waste users time?   We have passed from the realm of trying hard but not quite making it, into the realm of disrespect for the customer.  Imagine if you pulled the landing gear level on a new plane in flight, only to find out that —“oh yeah, we will deliver an actual landing gear function in a later release.”   Kind of like discovering that you can no longer print your notes.... Oh yeah, that isn’t a metaphorical example, they did actually remove print capability.   

You can’t fix stupid....

On 10/15/2020 at 12:53 PM, PinkElephant said:

The tool for the tables is not operational in the current iOS version.

It is there, which makes one believe that the function is already implemented. But there is nothing behind it, except placing a standard table into a note. There are no editing capabilities. EN says they will implement a full table functionality with a later release. As always, there is no roadmap or schedule.

It is one of the many missing items that make me believe this release was simply rushed on us instead of thoughtfully rolled out.

• Level 5

IMHO they have just added the complete "edit" button layout with all options planned, including those like tables that are not yet completely implemented. By this they don't need to change the edit button menu each time they add a function to it, maintaining support documents is easier etc.

AFAIK no bad intention behind it. Same with other stuff, like printing, some sharing functionality, ...

The mystery is why they decided to roll out this half-baked release at a moment when obviously it was not ready and not properly tested.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

IMHO they have just added the complete "edit" button layout with all options planned, including those like tables that are not yet completely implemented. By this they don't need to change the edit button menu each time they add a function to it, maintaining support documents is easier etc.

AFAIK no bad intention behind it. Same with other stuff, like printing, some sharing functionality, ...

The mystery is why they decided to roll out this half-baked release at a moment when obviously it was not ready and not properly tested.

Exactly!!!!  Stealing defeat from the jaws of victory? Not smart.... especially in a competitive environment. Neither is the lack of some sort of coherent communication.If the paying users leave the future is not bright for any of us. Hence my profound disappointment....

Example of concern: 

• Like 1

I totally agree, I’ve been a paying customer for over 9 years and I don’t want to have to leave but I feel like I’m literally being pushed out by a combination of the totally unusable version 10, the threat to take away the classic working version and the total lack of communication from this new parent company, I can’t bring myself to call them Evernote because all of a sudden they don’t seem to understand their own product or users. This new version should never have been released. I left the beta program early on because there was just too much missing from the program in order to use it at all, I never dreamt they would release it in that state!

On 9/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, HeBoIz said:

I'd love the answer to this too. Did you find a way ? I'm brand new to this!

1 hour ago, JoJo_ said:
On 9/16/2020 at 7:51 PM, HeBoIz said:

I'd love the answer to this too. Did you find a way ? I'm brand new to this!

So far I haven't any solution for iOS. If I have to do "table-work" I just change to my Desktop-Evernote-Web-frontend.

Table editing with iOS is obiously on the road map (thats why the user-interface includes this so far non responding function...).
EN just hasn't managed to implement this new function (on iOS) in 10.0.x up to 10.1.

It probably will be rolled out with one of the next releases (though there is no roadmap when...).
Coming from the arguments for the Elektron based new Versions implementing on iOS shouldn't be to difficult, as table editing with the new Editor-ui is allready possible in the Evernote-Web-frontend and in Elektron based 10.x Versions for Windows and Mac. Delay on iOS may be caused by some special issues with drag and drop or context-menues on iOS for table editing ?!? 

This is the response I got from support in regards to table editing. Sounds like it is not even a sure thing yet.....🤬

We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, buckethead said:

This is the response I got from support in regards to table editing. Sounds like it is not even a sure thing yet.....🤬

We haven’t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful of  features we are still considering.

My source is the Evernote blog (https://evernote.com/blog/unlocking-evernotes-future/)
There are a handful of features (such as editing tables, widgets, and Apple Watch support) that weren’t quite ready for today’s release, but we’re actively working to get those done and you should see them in one of our regular updates. 

• Like 1

I can insert tables in the new iPad iOS version but been unable to find a way of editing the table, e.g. inserting additional columns, resizing columns, and changing background colours etc.  Currently, other than inserting a new 3 column table is seems to be missing all other table editing features, or am I missing something? 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It was communicated in the release notes to EN v10 iOS that the table function is not yet implemented. It will be added with a future release.

What is confusing is that the GUI elements for tables do already exist, but without functionality behind it. It just places a table, and that is it.

To be fair one must accept that tables could only be used in a very limited way in the prior ios client. If EN releases this feature one day, it will be a real advantage over older versions.

If they would then add some basic table intelligence (like sum, number, min, average, max), tables would gain a lot. Nice dream ...

Thanks for the reply, I used Evernote many years ago but have only just picked it up again, so wasn't aware of this.  I saw the promo video and noticed the iOS version had the insert table icon so naturally assumed it would work!  You'd think they'd hide that button if it wasn't yet supported.

• Level 5

Yes, probably they don’t want to release a new GUI so often. Quite misleading.

In the prior iOS version you could add a table by using these brackets: „[] [] * 5“ would insert a table with 2 columns and 5 rows. But that was it,  besides being able to add more rows by using a tab key (on many external keyboards). The table itself could not be really edited. Even this rudimentary feature was removed from v10.

Same problem with tables. I have to use the web version on laptop to make a table with the right numbers of rows and columns and also edit it!

I was hoping that it is so obvious that is going to get fixed in the last update but still waiting...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, salgud said:

Is there any plan to fix tables so that you can have more than two rows  and two columns without having to go to the desktop version?

Coming soon: - Table Editing
See  

I'm wondering this for the web version also. I usually use the desktop app, but I'm on a different computer so I'm using the web version and wishing I could edit my tables. I can't add rows or columns, and I can't recolor the cells like I can on the desktop app. XP

2 hours ago, Syberyah said:

I'm wondering this for the web version also. I usually use the desktop app, but I'm on a different computer so I'm using the web version and wishing I could edit my tables

Table editing works fine on web version v10, even better then on desktop with legacy. But you have  to make sure, that you use the actual editor.

• Level 5

Maybe I am missing something, but on my EN iOS 10.3, these are my editing options:

• Can just insert a table of 3x2
  • Can’t add or delete a column
  • Can add a row only with a keyboard that has a tab
  • Can‘t delete a row 

Maybe I can edit the content in a table cell, but the table itself is still practically not editable.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The editing of tables with the EN iOS client is now working.

Updated to 10.6 last night, and YES - it works. Even on the small iPhone screen with my clumsy fingers I was able to do it all, even better on the iPad. Insert and delete rows and columns, unify and split table cells, background colors, content position. Height is adapted automatically, could not set width manually. Table editing is in an own tab in the editor, beside the text editor tab. Most can be done with icons, some submenu are available.

On my first tries everything worked fine, no issues.

At least on the mobile platform v10 is now getting ahead of the old clients. Still room for improvements, but looking ahead, not backwards.

Still missing the Apple Watch client.