Evernote V10.3.7 cannot display/open pdf attachments

I don't think that this is a common issue. I've heard of one person with a slightly similar experience but most, I think, are able to view PDFs in v10.

You may want to try raising a support ticket and in the meantime stick with the legacy application.

7:49 AM 11/12/2020 I just downloaded version 10 to migrate for current latest version.  I COULT NOT OPEN MY ATTACHMENTS.  This is USELESS to me.  It cost me hours to research, install, reboot. reconfigure "LEGACY" to recover to where I was when I started this morning.  I hope Evernote discovers a better quality control process. Now I need to spend time shopping the competition for a reliable tool.  Very disappointed with the glossy email Evernote sent to me regarding v10.  I had too much confidence in Evernote and got fooled into upgrading.    P.S.  I am not interested in spending hours trying to give PD info [problem determination].  I need Evernote to be as reliable as a 100 year old letter opener!   QUALITY COUNTS.  Clean up your act. 

5 hours ago, Jaya Shekarraju said:

@tommyslaw Thank you for reporting this issue. Would it be possible for you to share a sample pdf that is not displaying in Evernote? Appreciate your help.

10.3.7 must have done something to my database as this and other files now appear corrupt. I was able to open them in v6.

This is becoming ridiculous. 

I'm doing this troubleshooting with great hesitation as I don't have time nor interest to beta test unfinished software. Sadly, I'm too invested in Evernote (user since 2011) to abandon it immediately.

ROR3%20-%20UT%20thickness%20mapping.pdf

6 hours ago, agsteele said:

I don't think that this is a common issue. I've heard of one person with a slightly similar experience but most, I think, are able to view PDFs in v10.

You may want to try raising a support ticket and in the meantime stick with the legacy application.

Honestly, I've exhausted my patience with this. Raising tickets and reporting bugs is not what I want to be doing. I don't have time for that. 

I've installed legacy version and will be using it until I find a good enough alternative. This won't be easy though. 

• Like 1

Very puzzling.

I have notes created in the Legacy version with PDF attachments that open fine in v10, as well as being able to add PDFs to notes in v10.

As agsteele says, Adobe Acrobat thinks the file has been corrupted in some way and is not a valid format - see rhe full error message I get (attached as .png  image and as PDF file.

EDIT - I'm wondering if there could be some issue with the space characters that appears as "%20" in the file name attachment abpve, but as jus "20" with no "%"  when Adobe Acrobat reports the error...?

EN PDF attach failyre.png

EN PDS attacch failure.pdf

I agree with Mike P, this second file attachment works fine - downloaded, viewable via PDF readers, and able to be attached to EN v10 - no problems.

I note that the first link you provided to the file has "%20" instead of the space characters in the filename, while the second link shown has a visible spaces. So does  EB c10 not like %20 usage ?

EN PDF link 1.png

EN PDF link2.png

10 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

I agree with Mike P, this second file attachment works fine - downloaded, viewable via PDF readers, and able to be attached to EN v10 - no problems.

I note that the first link you provided to the file has "%20" instead of the space characters in the filename, while the second link shown has a visible spaces. So does  EB c10 not like %20 usage ?

EN PDF link 1.png

EN PDF link2.png

The point is...

First file is downloaded from v10 and appears corrupted. 

Second file downloaded from v6 and works fine

2 hours ago, tommyslaw said:

The point is...

First file is downloaded from v10 and appears corrupted. 

Second file downloaded from v6 and works fine

The point is I added the uncorrupted file to V10 and it works fine. So there is nothing inherently wrong with the file or V10. It works fine for me in V10. I do notice that when I download your file chrome gives it a different name to the one which apperars in the forum with no spaces. Having said that, to date, I haven't had a problem with file names containing spaces. If you add the uncorrupted file to a new note do you still get a problem - in other words can you narrow it down to a problem with files added to the previous version and being a problem in the v10.

• Like 1

I'm having this same problem with version 10.3.7 - when trying to view PDFs and some JPEGs. I've resorted to using EN Legacy, and those same attachments files display and annotate fine. I've also tested with EN Web and same files display fine. The problem is with the new release, and has been since the beginning.  If my files were corrupted, the display error would be consistent across EN Legacy, V10, and the Web. 

For now, I'm avoiding EN 10 until this problem is fixed.  Here is the error msg EN 10 returns (see attachment)

95F859A7-68F3-4747-9507-95563212AAE1_4_5005_c.jpeg

I am having the same problem.    Example:  I have a PDF of my Visa Bill in an Evernote note.   It is about 35Kb and is the only thing in the note.

- Evernote client on one Mac (my home system) running Evernote 7.14 under Catalina 10.15.7 - all pages are visible and all render as expected

- Evernote client on different Mac (work) running Evernote 10.3.7, also under Catalina 10.15.7, only displays the first page of the PDF.   Scrolling down, it just stops after the first page like there are no additional pages.   When I download the PDF to the Mac, then open it with Preview, I see all 4 pages of the PDF as expected.

- Evernote via Web interface has the same behavior as 10.3.7 - only the first page of the PDF is rendered.   I have tried this with both Safari and Firefox, and on both computers.   All behave the same (incorrectly).

Something changed and I need this to work on my home system - (how can I revert the client back to 7.14 until this is fixed?).   Evernote, please escalate this and address it.  

This is urgent.

+++ my issue is resolved +++

Looks like my version of the issue was different (the OP said PDFs would not open at all).  My PDF issue was the result of a change in the default way PDFs were displayed, and my lack of familiarity with the changes in 10.3.7 and display options.   "Paul A" posted in the Mac community:

Do you see any arrows near the bottom of the first page of the PDF (easy to miss if you're not looking for them) which allow scrolling through each page of the pdf? Alternatively, if you click on the title at the top of the pdf, then click on the three dots overflow menu, you'll see some "view as" options which can change the way pdfs are displayed.

Hope that helps.

Edited by scottvb
My issue resolved - sharing resolution.

Today, I experienced an intersting issue.  Using ENv10.x I accessed a note which was created in the legacy version and in which the PDFs were shown as attachments rather than displaying as a whole page.

In version 10 the program said the PDF could not be displayed. I returned to the legacy version, accessed the note there and opened one of the PDFs.  I returned to v10 and the PDFs were all displayed as pages.  In v10 I then set them back as attachments and all is working just fine.

Just downloaded 10.3.7  and I am encountering the same problem that the OP has. It doesn't happen with every pdf, but I haven't been able to figure out any common element or pattern among the files that trigger it versus those that don't. 

I'm going back to plain text notes and markdown. Attachments will be saved in my folder structure and links between the attachments and notes created in a text editor through markdown syntax. I can use pretty much any text editor (in the past I used Rasoph Notes on Win and nValt on Mac) but tools like Obsidian make this process very easy now.  

I understand this won't work for everyone, but it works for me. No more dependency on a proprietary database.

My subscription expires in April next year so I'll still be keeping an eye on Evernote, just in case.

• Like 1

Quick update - I was invited to download Evernote "Home" (v 10.3.7 build 2061 beta).  I installed it just for grins because the current release is of no value to me due to the pdf issue. I've been using Evernote Legacy. I'm not sure at this point what exactly "Home" brings to the table in terms of functionality (more testing required), but the PDF viewing problem seems to be resolved. I checked several PDFs that I couldn't open in last release, and I can now view them. Good luck, Happy Thanksgiving! 

I'm having the same problem and error message: After upgrade to Evernote V 10.4.3 , on my desktop application PDF is not shown ("couldn't display this PDF file"). Also, thumbnails are not shown, JPG and PNG are not shown ("image could not be rendered properly"). 

I can see them in the browser application, and on my android phone. Things were fine until the update 2 days ago.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, doesn't make a difference. This applies to ALL the files with these formats, rendering Evernote basically useless.  Sinvce I do not have premium, I can't send a ticket.

image.png.ab1fe02cad5476f72dc1b05db644af8b.pngimage.png.e376339f9e40952472229a2bb59cfb0a.pngimage.png.5b03f92f335ffbe4ce7eb6bffe020aec.pngimage.png.dc591edb49124f2235ec259fa9420d12.pngimage.png.0cc19ada6240a107fb032ef8735ec7f6.png 

• 2 weeks later...