Jump to content

Evernote V10.3.7 cannot display/open pdf attachments


Recommended Posts

  • Level 5

I don't think that this is a common issue. I've heard of one person with a slightly similar experience but most, I think, are able to view PDFs in v10.

You may want to try raising a support ticket and in the meantime stick with the legacy application.

Link to post

7:49 AM 11/12/2020 I just downloaded version 10 to migrate for current latest version.  I COULT NOT OPEN MY ATTACHMENTS.  This is USELESS to me.  It cost me hours to research, install, reboot. reconfigure "LEGACY" to recover to where I was when I started this morning.  I hope Evernote discovers a better quality control process. Now I need to spend time shopping the competition for a reliable tool.  Very disappointed with the glossy email Evernote sent to me regarding v10.  I had too much confidence in Evernote and got fooled into upgrading.    P.S.  I am not interested in spending hours trying to give PD info [problem determination].  I need Evernote to be as reliable as a 100 year old letter opener!   QUALITY COUNTS.  Clean up your act. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
5 hours ago, Jaya Shekarraju said:

@tommyslaw Thank you for reporting this issue. Would it be possible for you to share a sample pdf that is not displaying in Evernote? Appreciate your help.

10.3.7 must have done something to my database as this and other files now appear corrupt. I was able to open them in v6.

This is becoming ridiculous. 

I'm doing this troubleshooting with great hesitation as I don't have time nor interest to beta test unfinished software. Sadly, I'm too invested in Evernote (user since 2011) to abandon it immediately.

ROR3%20-%20UT%20thickness%20mapping.pdf

Link to post
6 hours ago, agsteele said:

I don't think that this is a common issue. I've heard of one person with a slightly similar experience but most, I think, are able to view PDFs in v10.

You may want to try raising a support ticket and in the meantime stick with the legacy application.

Honestly, I've exhausted my patience with this. Raising tickets and reporting bugs is not what I want to be doing. I don't have time for that. 

I've installed legacy version and will be using it until I find a good enough alternative. This won't be easy though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Very puzzling.

I have notes created in the Legacy version with PDF attachments that open fine in v10, as well as being able to add PDFs to notes in v10.

As agsteele says, Adobe Acrobat thinks the file has been corrupted in some way and is not a valid format - see rhe full error message I get (attached as .png  image and as PDF file.

EDIT - I'm wondering if there could be some issue with the space characters that appears as "%20" in the file name attachment abpve, but as jus "20" with no "%"  when Adobe Acrobat reports the error...?

 

EN PDF attach failyre.png

EN PDS attacch failure.pdf

Link to post

I agree with Mike P, this second file attachment works fine - downloaded, viewable via PDF readers, and able to be attached to EN v10 - no problems.

I note that the first link you provided to the file has "%20" instead of the space characters in the filename, while the second link shown has a visible spaces. So does  EB c10 not like %20 usage ?

EN PDF link 1.png

EN PDF link2.png

Link to post
10 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

I agree with Mike P, this second file attachment works fine - downloaded, viewable via PDF readers, and able to be attached to EN v10 - no problems.

I note that the first link you provided to the file has "%20" instead of the space characters in the filename, while the second link shown has a visible spaces. So does  EB c10 not like %20 usage ?

EN PDF link 1.png

EN PDF link2.png

The point is...

First file is downloaded from v10 and appears corrupted. 

Second file downloaded from v6 and works fine

Link to post
2 hours ago, tommyslaw said:

The point is...

First file is downloaded from v10 and appears corrupted. 

Second file downloaded from v6 and works fine

The point is I added the uncorrupted file to V10 and it works fine. So there is nothing inherently wrong with the file or V10. It works fine for me in V10. I do notice that when I download your file chrome gives it a different name to the one which apperars in the forum with no spaces. Having said that, to date, I haven't had a problem with file names containing spaces. If you add the uncorrupted file to a new note do you still get a problem - in other words can you narrow it down to a problem with files added to the previous version and being a problem in the v10.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I'm having this same problem with version 10.3.7 - when trying to view PDFs and some JPEGs. I've resorted to using EN Legacy, and those same attachments files display and annotate fine. I've also tested with EN Web and same files display fine. The problem is with the new release, and has been since the beginning.  If my files were corrupted, the display error would be consistent across EN Legacy, V10, and the Web. 

For now, I'm avoiding EN 10 until this problem is fixed.  Here is the error msg EN 10 returns (see attachment)

95F859A7-68F3-4747-9507-95563212AAE1_4_5005_c.jpeg

Link to post

I am having the same problem.    Example:  I have a PDF of my Visa Bill in an Evernote note.   It is about 35Kb and is the only thing in the note.

- Evernote client on one Mac (my home system) running Evernote 7.14 under Catalina 10.15.7 - all pages are visible and all render as expected

- Evernote client on different Mac (work) running Evernote 10.3.7, also under Catalina 10.15.7, only displays the first page of the PDF.   Scrolling down, it just stops after the first page like there are no additional pages.   When I download the PDF to the Mac, then open it with Preview, I see all 4 pages of the PDF as expected.

- Evernote via Web interface has the same behavior as 10.3.7 - only the first page of the PDF is rendered.   I have tried this with both Safari and Firefox, and on both computers.   All behave the same (incorrectly).

Something changed and I need this to work on my home system - (how can I revert the client back to 7.14 until this is fixed?).   Evernote, please escalate this and address it.  

This is urgent.

+++ my issue is resolved +++

Looks like my version of the issue was different (the OP said PDFs would not open at all).  My PDF issue was the result of a change in the default way PDFs were displayed, and my lack of familiarity with the changes in 10.3.7 and display options.   "Paul A" posted in the Mac community:

Do you see any arrows near the bottom of the first page of the PDF (easy to miss if you're not looking for them) which allow scrolling through each page of the pdf? Alternatively, if you click on the title at the top of the pdf, then click on the three dots overflow menu, you'll see some "view as" options which can change the way pdfs are displayed.

Hope that helps.

 

Edited by scottvb
My issue resolved - sharing resolution.
Link to post
  • Level 5

Today, I experienced an intersting issue.  Using ENv10.x I accessed a note which was created in the legacy version and in which the PDFs were shown as attachments rather than displaying as a whole page.

In version 10 the program said the PDF could not be displayed. I returned to the legacy version, accessed the note there and opened one of the PDFs.  I returned to v10 and the PDFs were all displayed as pages.  In v10 I then set them back as attachments and all is working just fine.

Link to post

Just downloaded 10.3.7  and I am encountering the same problem that the OP has. It doesn't happen with every pdf, but I haven't been able to figure out any common element or pattern among the files that trigger it versus those that don't. 

Link to post

I'm going back to plain text notes and markdown. Attachments will be saved in my folder structure and links between the attachments and notes created in a text editor through markdown syntax. I can use pretty much any text editor (in the past I used Rasoph Notes on Win and nValt on Mac) but tools like Obsidian make this process very easy now.  

I understand this won't work for everyone, but it works for me. No more dependency on a proprietary database.

My subscription expires in April next year so I'll still be keeping an eye on Evernote, just in case.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Quick update - I was invited to download Evernote "Home" (v 10.3.7 build 2061 beta).  I installed it just for grins because the current release is of no value to me due to the pdf issue. I've been using Evernote Legacy. I'm not sure at this point what exactly "Home" brings to the table in terms of functionality (more testing required), but the PDF viewing problem seems to be resolved. I checked several PDFs that I couldn't open in last release, and I can now view them. Good luck, Happy Thanksgiving! 

Link to post

I'm having the same problem and error message: After upgrade to Evernote V 10.4.3 , on my desktop application PDF is not shown ("couldn't display this PDF file"). Also, thumbnails are not shown, JPG and PNG are not shown ("image could not be rendered properly"). 

I can see them in the browser application, and on my android phone. Things were fine until the update 2 days ago.

I uninstalled and reinstalled, doesn't make a difference. This applies to ALL the files with these formats, rendering Evernote basically useless.  Sinvce I do not have premium, I can't send a ticket.

image.png.ab1fe02cad5476f72dc1b05db644af8b.pngimage.png.e376339f9e40952472229a2bb59cfb0a.pngimage.png.5b03f92f335ffbe4ce7eb6bffe020aec.pngimage.png.dc591edb49124f2235ec259fa9420d12.pngimage.png.0cc19ada6240a107fb032ef8735ec7f6.png 

Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How many versions of Evernote does it take to get the COMPLETE job done - three! Right now, I'm having to use 3 different versions for full functionality.

I use Evernote Legacy for full features of adding, editing, viewing notes, adding reminders, and being able to see notes containing attachments such as PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs files.

Secondly, I use Evernote Web for searching capability, and generally speaking I can view PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs files, but the Web versions lack a lot of functionality, especially "right-click" features.

Third, I use the latest version of Evernote 10.6.9 for any "Home" features, but because it will not recognize PDFs, JPEGs, PNG attachments, I primarily use 10.6.9 just to see when Evernote is going to finally pull itself together and get everything into one package!!! (hint, hint).

Oh wait, there's a fourth version - iOS! I use it to look up things, create simple notes, etc. But it does not render any note with Tables properly. In fact it will cause note corruption if I try to use it to edit a note with a Table.  

Good job guys!

macOS Pro Big Sur

Microsoft Edge and/or Safari

Link to post
  • Level 5

Be happy - 4 clients for the price of one !

Hopefully we will be able to quit legacy one day, once v10 has outgrown it toothing months (years ?).

The need to use web for searching I don't understand, for me legacy does the job on this, saved searches and all.

It is a declared goal of v10 to get close to feature parity. For the editor this is (more or less) done, for the rest of the app the iOS (and probably the Android client) lacks some issues. Most of them were not available pre v10 either, so there is room to grow out of the shoes of the older versions.

Link to post
On 11/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, scottvb said:

I am having the same problem.    Example:  I have a PDF of my Visa Bill in an Evernote note.   It is about 35Kb and is the only thing in the note.

- Evernote client on one Mac (my home system) running Evernote 7.14 under Catalina 10.15.7 - all pages are visible and all render as expected

- Evernote client on different Mac (work) running Evernote 10.3.7, also under Catalina 10.15.7, only displays the first page of the PDF.   Scrolling down, it just stops after the first page like there are no additional pages.   When I download the PDF to the Mac, then open it with Preview, I see all 4 pages of the PDF as expected.

- Evernote via Web interface has the same behavior as 10.3.7 - only the first page of the PDF is rendered.   I have tried this with both Safari and Firefox, and on both computers.   All behave the same (incorrectly).

Something changed and I need this to work on my home system - (how can I revert the client back to 7.14 until this is fixed?).   Evernote, please escalate this and address it.  

This is urgent.

+++ my issue is resolved +++

Looks like my version of the issue was different (the OP said PDFs would not open at all).  My PDF issue was the result of a change in the default way PDFs were displayed, and my lack of familiarity with the changes in 10.3.7 and display options.   "Paul A" posted in the Mac community:

Do you see any arrows near the bottom of the first page of the PDF (easy to miss if you're not looking for them) which allow scrolling through each page of the pdf? Alternatively, if you click on the title at the top of the pdf, then click on the three dots overflow menu, you'll see some "view as" options which can change the way pdfs are displayed.

Hope that helps.

 

Yes, you can modify how the pdf displays but you have to do it note by note.  In the legacy version I can tell it to display all pdf's a certain way.  I literally have thousands of pdfs in my evernote files.  I cannot configure them all individually.  I want them to "display as attachments" rather than seeing their content.  So far, can not accomplish this with v10.

Link to post

To be clear, my current status on 10.6.9 - PDF - it won't even display the first page, nor the last, nor anything in between. It will not render any jpeg or png either. So our issues are slightly different, but related somewhat. I'm offering to demonstrate to EN tech support, but, wait...they can't talk on the phone. Email support only! 

Link to post
  • 1 month later...

I just updated today to the "new evernote."  All the scans that were PDF's yesterday are not anymore. So much for boosting my productivity!!!!!!!! Do Not be a fool and upgrade to this new Evernote! It's awful!!!!!!!!

Link to post
7 hours ago, princetonmum said:

I just updated today to the "new evernote."  All the scans that were PDF's yesterday are not anymore. So much for boosting my productivity!!!!!!!! Do Not be a fool and upgrade to this new Evernote! It's awful!!!!!!!!

What version exactly did you update to? And your system - computer, tablet, phone??? 

Link to post
On 2/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, Sandy Lemoine said:

What version exactly did you update to? And your system - computer, tablet, phone??? 

10.8.5 I believe. Updated on my computer. More bad news. My ScanSnap for Evernote is no longer compatible. Now I can't scan in any new documents either. Evernote is practically useless to me right now. It's a mess. I'm a very unhappy person. I used to LOVE Evernote. Now I'm miserable.

Link to post
  • Level 5

My ScanSnap ix500 is working snappy as ever - with EN legacy.

If I were you, I would install legacy as well, and wait to see when (or if) v10 ever learns the necessary tricks.

Import folders are on the list of announced features for the desktop v10 clients, so maybe this will create a better scanning interface as well.

Link to post

I was getting repeated popup error message from Evernote which gave me only (2) options to either Quit or Restart because of some problem on Evernote's side (per the popup notification).  NEITHER button worked so, I had to Force Quit the app on my laptop (macOS Catalina 10.15.6).  Logging out and back into Evernote did nothing to resolve the repeated issue of no longer being able to use Evernote without the same popup error message (with non-functional options) coming back.

I finally de-installed the app and went to the App Store to reinstall Evernote.  I now have Evernote version 10.8.6 -- and, now, **NONE** of my PDFs, images or Clipper content display!!!!  Same messages as what's been posted... which renders the app not only USELESS to me but, also CRIPPLING to my productivity on both personal and business fronts!!

I am NOT a tech person so I need help QUICKLY to restore CONTENT FUNCTIONALITY.  This shocking ridiculousness is enough to make me want to cancel my Evernote subscription.  I cannot conceive of PAYING for "Premium" just to get a chance at help desk support for a product which seems to have been steadily losing all sorts of previous functionality over the past year!!

Can anyone offer suggestions for how a non-techie might be able to regain access to content (which IS accessible on my iPhone but, NOT on my laptop)...?!

Many thanks in advance!!

Link to post
2 hours ago, konnekted said:

I have this issue as well. MacOS 11.2.3, latest Evernote afaik

image.png.d605903ef7012e7011943f8877ec59d0.png

That is a 94 Byte pdf file which certainly says there is a major problem. Can you download it? Is it an existing file that views correctly in legacy?

Link to post
22 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That is a 94 Byte pdf file which certainly says there is a major problem. Can you download it? Is it an existing file that views correctly in legacy?

I can tell you that it doesn't matter WHAT size the PDF, JPG, PNG or m4a.  **NONE** of my YEARS' worth of attachments -- which were accessible to me before installing the latest version of Evernote -- are able to be displayed now.  I can see the content still exists because it shows up in my browser access (even though the Note counts/content in the browser do NOT match up with nor, display what my Notebooks actually contain) and, my iPhone will display attachments but, I can't see any of that content on my desktop version (MacOS Catalina 10.15.6).  Which I think is beyond ridiculous.

I'm not tech-savvy enough to know or execute a work-around, IF an older version of either/both my OS or, Evernote would resolve this issue.  I also don't think I should have to experience loss of access to note content, simply by reinstalling Evernote and getting the latest version!

Is there a the pathway for a NON-tech geek like me to be able to use the desktop version again to view and share the content I created??

Link to post
46 minutes ago, Mike P said:

That is a 94 Byte pdf file which certainly says there is a major problem. Can you download it? Is it an existing file that views correctly in legacy?

 Can't download in legacy. I checked other pdfs in the new Evernote - same story. That's actual data loss, which is a dealbreaker - no longer a trustable system.

image.png

image.png

Link to post
1 hour ago, konnekted said:

 Can't download in legacy. I checked other pdfs in the new Evernote - same story. That's actual data loss, which is a dealbreaker - no longer a trustable system.

image.png

image.png

I don't understand why you can't download legacy but the the other approach would be to look at your account on the web version. This looks drectly at the server so you will see exactly what is in your account on the server with no complications due to syncing.

Link to post
17 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I don't understand why you can't download legacy but the the other approach would be to look at your account on the web version. This looks drectly at the server so you will see exactly what is in your account on the server with no complications due to syncing.

No, I mean I can't download the pdf IN legacy

  • Like 1
Link to post
33 minutes ago, konnekted said:

No, I mean I can't download the pdf IN legacy

Sorry, I didn't read that properly, you were perfectly clear! Might still be worth looking at the web version for the reasons I outlined.You can also look at history and see if there was some point where the attachment has been corrupted. Failing that I would raise a support ticket an see if EN can work out what has happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Level 5

The pdf mentioned above is only an empty shell. These are left over when the creation of the file started, but did not finish. They are called a pdf, but in fact are only a header.

The original file did not make it into EN. If you still have a copy, good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
9 hours ago, Mike P said:

You can download the legacy version.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

 

 

Thank you **SO, SOooo MUCH** for this work-around so that I can at least SEE the previous content!!  I have not yet tried to create new content with legacy installed. 

Are there any glitches or tradeoffs i should be aware of when it comes to which version I should use to create new notes?? 

(Is it ok to have both apps running concurrently??)  Any ramifications to pay attention to with the use of Clipper...??

I don't really understand why use of the legacy system is necessary as a non-techie so, it would just be helpful for me to understand whatever I can to avoid (or prepare myself for) unanticipated global feature failure....

Link to post
11 hours ago, jsfchiu68 said:

Thank you **SO, SOooo MUCH** for this work-around so that I can at least SEE the previous content!!  I have not yet tried to create new content with legacy installed. 

Are there any glitches or tradeoffs i should be aware of when it comes to which version I should use to create new notes?? 

(Is it ok to have both apps running concurrently??)  Any ramifications to pay attention to with the use of Clipper...??

I don't really understand why use of the legacy system is necessary as a non-techie so, it would just be helpful for me to understand whatever I can to avoid (or prepare myself for) unanticipated global feature failure....

I don't use the legacy version that much because I find I can do most of what I need in the new version and am keen to contribute through the forums to what I still  consider to be an "extended beta". You can run both systems concurrently but you must be very careful about syncing issues. Make sure you manually sync the legacy version when you come back to it and when you leave it. There is no way of knowing whether V10 is up to date with it's syncing. It should do it automatically but sometimes it doesn't. The nightmare scenario is obviously that you end up with multiple versions of the same note.

Clipper will be fine because it clips directly to your online database and then syncs from there to the desktop clients

I think in your situation I would initially concentrate on legacy and the web client. Remember that when you use the web client you are seeing what is in your online database without any complications caused by syncing issues.The web version is essentially the same as the V10 desktop client but missing a few features. You need to gain some confidence that the numbers being reported by the two systems are the same, you are finding the same notes and all your attachments are ok. You should be able to view pdf attachments inline and image attachments should be fine. Other attachments should download when you double click them (which is one of the differences between web and desktop). Only when you are confident that what you are seeing in legacy is the same as what you are seeing on the web would I progress to V10 desktop.

When/if you do progress to the V10 desktop remember that it takes a long time for everything to sync and get up to date. Expect it not to fully reflect reality (reality = web version) for some time. Days if you have thousands of notes. I know this is rubbish but in my experience once it does all sync properly it then works fine and keeps up with changes reasonably quickly.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, Mike P said:

I don't use the legacy version that much because I find I can do most of what I need in the new version and am keen to contribute through the forums to what I still  consider to be an "extended beta". You can run both systems concurrently but you must be very careful about syncing issues. Make sure you manually sync the legacy version when you come back to it and when you leave it. There is no way of knowing whether V10 is up to date with it's syncing. It should do it automatically but sometimes it doesn't. The nightmare scenario is obviously that you end up with multiple versions of the same note.

Clipper will be fine because it clips directly to your online database and then syncs from there to the desktop clients

I think in your situation I would initially concentrate on legacy and the web client. Remember that when you use the web client you are seeing what is in your online database without any complications caused by syncing issues.The web version is essentially the same as the V10 desktop client but missing a few features. You need to gain some confidence that the numbers being reported by the two systems are the same, you are finding the same notes and all your attachments are ok. You should be able to view pdf attachments inline and image attachments should be fine. Other attachments should download when you double click them (which is one of the differences between web and desktop). Only when you are confident that what you are seeing in legacy is the same as what you are seeing on the web would I progress to V10 desktop.

When/if you do progress to the V10 desktop remember that it takes a long time for everything to sync and get up to date. Expect it not to fully reflect reality (reality = web version) for some time. Days if you have thousands of notes. I know this is rubbish but in my experience once it does all sync properly it then works fine and keeps up with changes reasonably quickly.

OhMyGoodness, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the generosity of your time and guiding suggestions!!!  I SOooooo appreciate the info to help mitigate my baffling frustration with the things I see and don’t see in the different versions and the frustrations I’ve had with syncing!!!  It used to be so easy and obvious to do manual sync.  Now it seems to have turned into a scavenger hunt to find where and how to do it, depending on what I’m using to access/create/edit notes.

I will take in what you’ve shared as I proceed with an amount of caution and deliberation to see how to keep versions synced.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, again, for the kindness and generosity of your contribution to this forum!!!

Blessings...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • Level 5

The source of my momentary frustration is that you post stuff here in a weird format. "JFIF" is not really standard, isn't it ? Maybe convert it to something more common.

Link to post
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The source of my momentary frustration is that you post stuff here in a weird format. "JFIF" is not really standard, isn't it ? Maybe convert it to something more common.

JFIF is a common file extension, nothing strange about this file type it's an advanced / better JPEG format (built on JIF format)

Link to post
  • Level 5

Superb - I have a wealth of photo editing software on my Mac, but had to use a rather shady one to open it.

This is what Wikipedia has to say - I would not see this to be more „advanced“ than JPEG. It reads like an old fix that was since passed by newer standards - see the last sentence of my copy - EXIF is not THAT new, but is since years the standard we all use. If it is not compatible with EXIF, it is a good explanation why it is not widely used:

JPEG File Interchange Format

Image file format with multiple editions


The JPEG File Interchange Format (JFIF) is an image file format standard. It defines supplementary specifications for the container format that contains the image data encoded with the JPEG algorithm. The base specifications for a JPEG container format are defined in Annex B of the JPEG standard, known as JPEG Interchange Format (JIF). JFIF builds over JIF to solve some of JIF's limitations, including unnecessary complexity, component sample registration, resolution, aspect ratio, and color space. Because JFIF is a supplementary standard, the resulting file format may be referred to as "JPEG/JFIF".

JFIF is mutually incompatible with the newer Exchangeable image file format (Exif).

Link to post

I am new to this thread and have not read it all.

However I have just experienced 'unable to open file' after scanning in from scansnap to 10.9.10

But only larger files!

Investigating, I found the attached file did not have pdf extension.

I was able to rename it 'in place' with a right-click.  Just adding .pdf on the end.

I could also then using the ... change default view to 'all pages'.

I now see my entire 40-page pdf when I preview or open it.  Just what I wanted.

Has someone else already said this, in the thread?  Don't know.

 

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...

Same here. Unless using Legacy, I can no longer open a file straight into Aadobe (using Desktop V10+ and Online V10+). 

The only workaround I found is to save to your hard disk first. The problem, you don't necessarily want to save every file you look at in EN to your computer. For now, I have a junk file on my hard disk for saving random files; then I open it straight into Adobe.

Using:

10.10.5-win-winstore-public (83)
Editor: v120.1.15587
Service: v1.31.4
 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...