Unsynch Bug!

I just acquired a new iPad today.  That meant I had three devices temporarily.  So I unsynched the discarded ipad.  I’m back to the two allowed under my Basic subscription.  Then I signed into Evernote an hour later and Evernote insisted I had too many devices, so  I unsynched the same discarded device again.  Then EVERNOTE locked me out, saying I had exceeded the limit of 2 unsynchs.  WHAT?  Now I can’t access any of my notes.  WTF!

I can’t function on a daily basis without access to one of my Evernote notes.  I already hate the new version of Evernote.  What are they trying to accomplish anyway?

This situation reminds me of a technical  class I attended at my company years and years ago.  I don’t remember the purpose of the class, but we programmers had access to the code written for the device we were there to learn about.  I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH BADLY WRITTEN CODE.  It looked like something written by a trainee in their first programming class.  And it was out in the field on customer devices!  I hate to think of the bugs.  Has Evernote done something similar?  Entrusted its coding to unqualified supervisors and unqualified coders?  That's the only explanation that comes to mind after reading the many complaints.

• Level 5*

Hi.  You fell foul of the 2-device max rule on free software.  That doesn't make it badly written.  I believe if the 2 device rule locks you out it only does so for a limited time.  I don't know whether you can view your notes on any device during that period.  If it is urgent to do so,  you might consider becoming a subscriber - even if only for one month - to cancel any current restrictions.

No, there is a big bug.

The software fails to recognize that it is asking me a second and then a third time to unsynch a device THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN UNSYNCHED!  I had no idea that answering that request would cause me to run afoul of the Unsynch police.  At the time, I saw no way to avoid responding to the request to unsynch the device again.  And then again!  

+1 to Echolane’s original post. This is definitely an unsync bug. We have three devices we use Evernote on, but two primarily. We never have an issue with the three free unsyncs per month due to the infrequent switch between two of the devices.

Yesterday I tried logging in on one of the two devices with two unsyncs left. It threw a login error. When trying to access Evernote from my primary device, it then said there were too many devices. Now I can’t access Evernote from any device because a login error incorrectly used up unsyncs. It’s like it created new sessions for devices already synced.

• Level 5*

Hi.  have you checked https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action to see how many come up?

We're a (mainly) user-supported Forum so your options would seem to be: 

• contact support via Twitter @EvernoteHelps
  • Update (if only for 1 month) to get access to all devices and email support - support may be slow; they're a little busy with other issues at the moment
  • wait out the sync lock
5 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  have you checked https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action to see how many come up?

• Update (if only for 1 month) to get access to all devices and email support - support may be slow; they're a little busy with other issues at the moment
  • wait out the sync lock

It says I have two devices registered. One in 2013 and one yesterday. I can’t access Evernote from either of those. It says there are too many registered.

Paying for a month or waiting another couple weeks are not ideal for something caused by error.

Thanks for the Twitter tip. I was quite disappointed to see I can’t contact Evernote directly without a paid subscription.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I am also having the same problem.  I bought a new Iphone and unsyced my old phone twice.  Now, I can get into EverNote on my computer and new Iphone, but after a few minutes, I am told to unsync a device again and kicked out.  Please fix this!

• Level 5*
On 2/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, kraines said:

I am also having the same problem.  I bought a new Iphone and unsyced my old phone twice.  Now, I can get into EverNote on my computer and new Iphone, but after a few minutes, I am told to unsync a device again and kicked out.  Please fix this!

On 11/15/2020 at 2:49 PM, gazumped said:

• wait out the sync lock