[Fixed in Version 10.5] White window always show up (Mac)

sour61

Idea

Has anyone experience this after upgrading to 10.1.4 in a Mac? A blank window (with a turning circle showing progress)keep coming on and off for every 10 seconds when the app is open in Mac. The whole App is frozen when the window is up. My Evernote becomes essentially useless now. I even tried to install the legacy version, but it has the same problem... Can someone provide me a direction? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 11.44.26 AM.png

• Like 4

39 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Sympathy. Deep breaths.

This has happened to me intermittently with different version 10 installations, AND the browser version of EN.

Quitting and re-launching (or refreshing the browser window) can help, but the app appears to be unstable.

Anecdotally, I think it's best to keep the app open all the time once it's behaving somewhat reasonably.

[Might I recommend Russian as a good source of curse words?]

(mac 10.15.17; EN 10.3.6)

• Level 5

Hi @Pavel Janecek

We are further investigating into this issue.

Since you're encountering this issue on Mac, I've created a separate thread to capture other Mac reports.

For the Windows version of this issue, you can go here:

I'll be following up here once I have an update on this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I met the same error on mac with the latest evernote. I attached my logs below.  @Shane D.

2020-11-13 10:40:03.767] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:127:332)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:123:328)
[2020-11-13 10:40:22.861] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
    at EventEmitter.t.ipcRendererInternal.send.t.ipcRendererInternal.send [as send] (electron/js2c/renderer_init.js:127:332)
[2020-11-13 10:40:35.415] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.
[2020-11-13 10:40:54.379] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error: An object could not be cloned.

I searched this error and found this issue that may help you to debug  https://github.com/electron/electron/issues/23722.

Please fix this error ASAP as it interrupted my work, or I have to move all my notes to OneNote and throw evernote away.

Hi

Just updatded to Mac OS Big Sur (Tuesday 17 Novemeber 2020 - 08:54 GMT).

When I click on Evernotes nothing happens.

My notes fail to appear.

Just get the Evernote White Screen of Death

Any ideas of suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

• Like 2

My Evernote Mac 10.3.7 started yesterday to only show a white main window, so I can't access my notes, but my open notes are showing correctly. And Evernote works fine om my iPhone.

MacOS Catalina. This is a catastrophe for me, please advise!

Regards, Henrik Ahlen, Stockholm , Sweden

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 08.42.09.png

• Level 5

You can try support, ticket answer time is several days at the moment.

Or install the legacy client:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

I run only legacy on my Mac (v10 on iOS is enough for the experience). Upgraded yesterday to BigSur, legacy still running, just the way it shows the GUI is a bit condensed (nearly no space between lines of text). 

• Level 5
4 hours ago, HenrikAhlen said:

My Evernote Mac 10.3.7 started yesterday to only show a white main window, so I can't access my notes, but my open notes are showing correctly. And Evernote works fine om my iPhone.

In my hands, launching EN V10+ can take minutes. There appears to be a lot of activity going on behind the scenes. I suggest waiting a few minutes, quitting if nothing happens, and launching again will eventually result in a "successful" launch. I recommend leaving the app ON once it starts to behave! (Yes, this is anecdotal, but has worked for multiple installations for me).

Hi Peter, my EN  main window is still  blank after  5 hours. I have also restarted EN and also my Mac several times, still EN shows up blank.

I plan to downgrade to the legacy version, wonder if my  notes created in the new version will work ?

This is very irritating! I have used EN daily since 2008, never seen such an unstable version. But I like the new interface and note functionality

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, HenrikAhlen said:

I plan to downgrade to the legacy version, wonder if my  notes created in the new version will work ?

Downgrading to the Legacy Version is probably your safest bet. Depending on how your system is set up, EN may need to create a new version of your database in a new location. Depending on the size of your database, this can take a long time—several days in my case—so I would recommend leaving the app running so it can do its stuff.

Notes created in either version should be synced with the online version, and I haven't had any problems of losing notes between versions.

• Like 1

I'm experiencing this behavior too. Seems to happen if the app has been open for a few days and the Mac has gone to sleep. Come back the next day and may not be able to start a new note, viewing an existing note, or opening a note it's in own windows. Quitting the app and starting again resolves the behavior. Does not happen everyday, but often enough.

• Like 1

Hi @Shane D. - when do you folks plan to have a fix for this issue? I'm planning to migrate to OneNote or Keep. Simply can't do anything in Evernote after upgrading to this new version. No matter how many times I restart, I ALWAYS get the white box.

I also tried downgrading to version 7.14 but it also has the same issue now. 

I'm just adding my voice to the chorus - I'm also getting stuck with a white screen that won't allow me to access my workflow. I've had mixed success with restarting the application, but I also don't have time to keep trouble shooting EN every other day. I've been using this for ten years and this is the first time I've had such a negative experience.

This is what I find frustrating as a long time Evernote users. WE put faith in Evernote and Ian. Heard the promise of updated applications, consistent experience across all apps. The launch of the "revamp" was introduced with a lot of fanfare. That fanfare has since sizzled and here we are with new issues that are not being addressed. It's very unfortunate and I'm torn honestly. I'm very passionate about Evernote and do recommend it to a lot of colleagues. But, I can I continue to recommend something that just doesn't work at the most basic level? 

• Like 1

I started having this issue today. I am on Mac OS 10.13.6 It started when I could not open a note in a separate window. I often have several notes open in separate windows while doing research. 

Then I found this discussion. I signed out of Evernote and then signed back in after a few minutes. Now all I see is a blank white screen of the last not I had been working on. Everything else has vanished on my macbook version. I am not sure how to go back to another version. 

Between this issue today and not being able to email from evernote a copy of a note, this update has serious bugs. Very frustrating and wasting valuable time to troubleshoot. 

• Level 5
10 hours ago, HenrikAhlen said:

Is the white window problem still there?

My experience is that the EN 10.4.4 update did not address the "white window" problem that many of us have confronted.

Shane has stated that the white window issue is under investigation.

My suggestion: install the Legacy Version, which works well, and wait for news.

• Like 2

I have the blank note issue on Mac since upgrading to Big Sur. Also seen display issues elsewhere on Big Sur, most notably Eclipse (is it a Java thing??).

Not sure if this is Windows or Mac thread. Saw comments about switching but not sure which is which. This was first thread I found.

22 hours ago, EricGregMiller said:

I have the blank note issue on Mac since upgrading to Big Sur. Also seen display issues elsewhere on Big Sur, most notably Eclipse (is it a Java thing??).

Not sure if this is Windows or Mac thread. Saw comments about switching but not sure which is which. This was first thread I found.

I haven’t upgraded to Big Sur and got the same white screen issue.

I’m now using the legacy version until I hear the issue has been fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update.

We are in the process of addressing this issue and should have a fix implemented soon.

The white window that appears is related the your account reaching/exceeding the 2-device limit.

As a workaround in the meantime, if you encounter this issue please try revoking any devices that exceed the limit here:
https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

This should prevent the window from appearing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

Interesting conclusion. The device this happens on for me is a free account, but, I only access the account from a single machine. However, a few of the notebooks are shared to an account that is on multiple devices. That account is premium. I can test this out and remove sharing 

17 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update.

We are in the process of addressing this issue and should have a fix implemented soon.

The white window that appears is related the your account reaching/exceeding the 2-device limit.

As a workaround in the meantime, if you encounter this issue please try revoking any devices that exceed the limit here:
https://www.evernote.com/Devices.action

This should prevent the window from appearing.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Surely  the 2-device limit is not applicable for premium users? I have been  using 3 devices for yours on my Premium account without any problems before.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, Shane D. said:

I have a Premium subscription, but I had a white screen on three different mac's after installing V 10.4.4. After trying a wide range of different things I was eventually able to get all three installations working reasonably well, but unfortunately I wasn't able to identify a consistent fix. The white screen problem returned after quitting and re-starting the app on 2 out of three installations, so I'm leaving the app open full-time.

A white screen appears to be a symptom of more than one problem.

mac OS 10.13.6; 10.15.7; 11.0.1
EN Legacy (7.14.1) and 10.4.4

(Not really a Level 5 commenter—minor bug)