What? We can't we search by multiple tags any more?

I've been an avid Evernote user for years, I've recommend it to all my friends. But as of the new version, it appears that it has lost some features that have been truly *essential* for me. Evernote has been first and foremost, my go-to meticulously-indexed cookbook. It's one of the major reasons I bought an iPad, so I could use it easily in the kitchen. I depend on it daily for that purpose.

I have three thousand recipes (I know.. I'm a cooking geek), gathered over forty years and dutifully entered into Evernote from multiple sources. I've laboriously tagged every one of these recipes by ingredients, seasonal and regional cooking, methods of cooking (air fryer, bread machine, etc), and categories of dishes (quiche, hot beverages, etc). I've also used tags to organize several possible dishes for one meal. I might gather all possible recipes for a meal under the tag "Thursday" or "Thanksgiving", then whittle down those possibilities and then proceed to shop and cook.

Until the recent new version, I could go to my recipes notebook, look to the upper right corner, and click in multiple tags to narrow down my options.  I might select these tags: salad + seafood + ginger + Asian cooking. Voila, my three thousand recipes would be reduced to perhaps a half dozen along those lines. Another time I might select the tags for sweet potato + beer, dark + sausage. Or pears + cardamom + baking, sweets. You get the idea.

The fact that suggestions for those tags would show up without having to type them in precisely was a very big help, because I sometimes put an exclamation point ahead of the name of tags to make them more prominent in a list. There is NO WAY I could possibly remember the exact "spelling" of every one of my tags, to enter them into a search box exactly as they are named. I've treasured the fact that the box when searching for tags would auto-populate with suggestions. I could simply click one tag, plus another, and another, to narrow down my possible recipes.

These features are the primary reason I have joyfully used Evernote. They are the reason I've spent easily *hundreds of hours* over the years, organizing my recipes this way. But now it appears that those beloved features are long gone!!

I've tried using the search feature, but instead of bringing up tags, it brings up bunches of irrelevant results from notes that aren't recipes at all. Apparently I can no longer search for multiple tags to narrow down my search, which has been absolutely essential to my using Evernote. I've tried typing in "tag:___" but I keep getting "no results" because I happened to type something like "chicken, baked" instead of "ckn, baked". If I have to agonize over the precise wording of a tag, over and over and over, or scrollllllllllllllllllllll through my extremely long list of tags, meanwhile garlic is burning on the stove, then no way.

Absolutely. No. Way.

Please help. I'm really hoping that these treasured features are not gone for good. From the looks of it, tagging has now been crippled in a way that looks utterly pointless to me.  Do I need to now move hundreds of tagged recipes into separate notebooks? But that still doesn't replace searching for multiple tags. Honestly, what is the point of tagging if we can't use it to whittle down the notes within a notebook? Are they now completely separate functions? What's the point of that?

I'm really afraid that my meticulously-assembled cookbook is now unusable, and that is heartbreaking. OMG....  the thought of starting over with some other note-taking app, converting three....... thousand ........ recipes........ 😞

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Hold the meltdown - slightly.  You can still use Evernote Legacy (the old version) - except not on iOS.  Any desktop or Android will help you out.  And yes,  most of the features are coming back... eventually.  No timescale for which and when though.  See the (many, MANY) other posts in the Forums over the recent past for more...

That means I can't use my iPad (iOS) for cooking any more --and that's the primary reason I spent *big bucks* on an iPad. I think anyone would get pretty hot under the collar about that.

If I have to return to the Legacy version on my computer, that means I lose all the positive new features on the computer. It means I can never upgrade Evernote there, ever.  Wouldn't that mess up syncing eventually, as Evernote continues to add new versions?

More to the point, having to choose recipes on my computer in my office puts me back to the old clunky method of printing out recipes, scribbling down edits on paper as I cook, then accumulating stacks of hand-written notes that I never get around to transcribing into the computer.

I bought an iPad, to never, ever have to do that again. 😞

I honestly do not see the point of eliminating such a very useful feature as searching for multiple tags at once. That, IMHO, is a major step backwards for Evernote. Really not a fan of this new version.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Tiggerlou said:

lose all the positive new features on the computer. It means I can never upgrade Evernote there, ever.

No,  the Legacy app is designed to work alongside EN10 - you can still get the ongoing updates,  which hopefully will include the search features you need,  as and when they are released.  iOS is also being updated - it's only down to Apple rules (according to Evernote) that there's no legacy option there either.

20 minutes ago, Tiggerlou said:

Really not a fan of this new version.

I'm open minded about where this is going,  but their launch strategy really sucked.  Much better to invite new users to try it out,  but warn everyone that certain features would not be available immediately.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Tiggerlou said:

click in multiple tags to narrow down my options.  I might select these tags: salad + seafood + ginger + Asian cooking. Voila, my three thousand recipes would be reduced to perhaps a half dozen along those lines. Another time I might select the tags for sweet potato + beer, dark + sausage. Or pears + cardamom + baking, sweets. You get the idea.

Screenshot is from my Mac, selecting multiple tags using the filter option at the top of the note list1695236434_ScreenShot2020-11-11at9_08_19AM.png.2235d2750a078d36af6835baba9aa5b1.png

We've requested a similar feature for IOS here

I was complaining  about this too...... the new version eliminated the ability to see tags just associated with a particular notebook.......AND  I didn't realize I couldn't search multiple tags

Tags: 

if I was in a particular  notebook I only saw tags that are on notes within that note book 

if wasn't in a particular notebook I saw all tags within evernote 

You can search by multiple tags, but search...

1. Type the keyword of a tag (no need to type "tag:") until there are relevant tags shown under the apply filter.
  2. Tap that tag you want.
  3. Tap the search bar.
  4. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  5. Tap the search bar again
  6. Type the keyword of another tag and then tap that tag you want.
  7. Tap the search bar again
  8. ...

But it's much crazier than on v8.24.6.

Plus I don't understand when Evernote strives to unify code base but they don't unify experience. There are so many examples...

• Thanks 1

If you have a permanent internet connection to your iPad and don't need it offline you could also use the web interface via Safari (https://www.evernote.com/client/web).  The web interface provides the ability to simply tap multiple tags without having to type anything.  You can also tap Safari's Share icon followed by "Add to Home Screen", then when opening from the home screen it looks like an app without all the web browser bits cluttering up the screen.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:39, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  Hold the meltdown - slightly.  You can still use Evernote Legacy (the old version) - except not on iOS.  Any desktop or Android will help you out.  And yes,  most of the features are coming back... eventually.  No timescale for which and when though.  See the (many, MANY) other posts in the Forums over the recent past for more...

Cual fue el punto de haber sacado la mejora de EVERNOTE en Imac, Windows y IOS si realmente no estaba listo. Si Uds. hacen un análisis de las respuestas de los múltiples usuarios, se darán cuenta que era mas inteligente dejar a la gente / usuarios dejar trabajar en el viejo Evernote "Legacy" y evaluar con una comunidad especifica de senior usuarios lo que Uds pretendían hacer. Por ejemplo la supuesta mejora que uds  pregonan como lo mejor de el nuevo Evernote son los filtros. EL usuario de Evernote aprendió a usar los libros y las etiquetas, de esa manera cual fue el esfuerzo de crear filtros que no funcionan (Solo funcionan cuando es un solo filtro).

Para ara que dedicar esfuerzo en como buscar listas, pdf, tablas, URL, etc. Quien haya aprendido a usar EN sabe como buscar lo que quiere encontrar. 

• Level 5*

56 minutes ago, JOrge Sanguino said:

What was the point of getting the EVERNOTE enhancement out on Imac, Windows and IOS if it really wasn't ready. If you do an analysis of the responses of multiple users, you will realize that it was smarter to let people / users let the old Evernote "Legacy" work and evaluate with a specific community of senior users what you wanted to do. . For example, the supposed improvement that you proclaim as the best of the new Evernote are the filters. The Evernote user learned to use books and tags, in that way what was the effort to create filters that do not work (They only work when it is a single filter).

To spend effort on how to find lists, pdf, tables, URL, etc. Anyone who has learned to use EN knows how to search for what they want to find.

I think a lot of users agree with you!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Gazumped

For we the worse is the tab & screen management...

• No possibility to copy and paste textes and images
  • No possibility to send note by email
  • Tag not in a good place to read
  • Check box not efficients
  • No possibility to manage tab or display 2 notes in 2 screens!...I works every day with 7 tab opens!
  • No search option efficient 
  • And the display of the list mode is too tight!

There are too much no ! !!

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

On 10.4 iOS I can search for multiple tags in the Filter menu. 

Open search, right side of the search bar is the Filter button.

then add the tags.

But it does not suggesting tags when you type in the search bar

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 5:11 PM, DTLow said:

Screenshot is from my Mac, selecting multiple tags using the filter option at the top of the note list1695236434_ScreenShot2020-11-11at9_08_19AM.png.2235d2750a078d36af6835baba9aa5b1.png

Not the same. Much easier having multi selected tags on the tags list, acting as a search filter.

Related to tags, not even going to make comments on not having the possibility to sort notes by tag anymore :(

Hope that, with time, all these nice features that were removed might came back.

• 2 months later...
On 11/11/2020 at 6:11 PM, DTLow said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable? No, that would be too easy, right. No, let's do it the hard way, from the new (not) improved filter where you need too many clicks, and, wait for it, cannot save the selection as a filter.

I don't know about the general user base, but they lost me by killing that feature. After being a user for ten years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can click on any tag in the side panel, and get it set as a filter. One tag as Filter at the moment.  If you need more, use the advanced search syntax to set up a search. You can still save searches, maybe this slipped your attention.

If you don’t like it and want to get serious about it, I have a simple idea for you: Subscribe, because only subscriptions earn the money to develop the software and services. As a subscriber you can EN tell everything you want - here are only other users.

To expect everything without contributing doesn’t work, at least not in the long term.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Thomas Eyde said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable?

When V10 was released the amount of functionaility in the sidebar was severly reduced. Over time this has slowly increased so I hope the old shift-click functionality to select multiple tags will return at some stage.  Measnwhile for desktop users the legacy remains and, as @PinkElephantpoints out, there is the search syntax which also allows you to search for tag1 OR tag2 etc

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, Thomas Eyde said:

That filter option is a joke. Why not simply let us select all our tags from the sidebar where they are easily selectable? No, that would be too easy, right. No, let's do it the hard way, from the new (not) improved filter where you need too many clicks, and, wait for it, cannot save the selection as a filter.

I don't know about the general user base, but they lost me by killing that feature. After being a user for ten years.

I tried the FILTER drop down to get multiple TAGS, then realized I had added a tag I did not want, BUT could NOT delete JUST that tag. Had to cancel the ENTIRE multiple TAG search-for then click-checkbox routine and START AGAIN. Am I doing it wrong?

On 5/14/2021 at 1:05 AM, Mike P said:

When V10 was released the amount of functionaility in the sidebar was severly reduced. Over time this has slowly increased so I hope the old shift-click functionality to select multiple tags will return at some stage.  Measnwhile for desktop users the legacy remains and, as @PinkElephantpoints out, there is the search syntax which also allows you to search for tag1 OR tag2 etc

On 6/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, goshgolly said:

I tried the FILTER drop down to get multiple TAGS, then realized I had added a tag I did not want, BUT could NOT delete JUST that tag. Had to cancel the ENTIRE multiple TAG search-for then click-checkbox routine and START AGAIN. Am I doing it wrong?

My experience on the Windows desktop version is that you can just click the ticked box again and the tick disappears. I don't use V10 on IOS so I can't comment directly.