Is the new Evernote supposed to run this slow?

I wanted to delete 31 records. It took 30 seconds.

What was obvious was that it was issuing a command to delete a record on the remote site, which was done, and then the confirmation was sent back to me, and then the program told it to deleted the second note, which was done on the remote site, and then confirmation...

You get the idea.  This new Evernote does NOTHING locally, and that means a lot of tasks will take a LOT longer than before. I pity the person who needs to re-tag or untag several hundred notes.

Seriously, is it possible to rollback to a localized version?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TheMagicWombat said:

It took 30 seconds.

As far as the speed concerns goes, a lot of people in the forums are sharing the same concern and having similar issues. I know I am not happy with the speed for sure. My 6.25 is so much faster compared to V10 so it is hard to justify the upgrade when you know how fast you used to work with the app.

I sure hope it will get way better but since it is an Electron app, there are concerns around the speed not ever matching the legacy app with the local database files. I guess time will tell. There are experts on Electron apps here, they can tell way more than I can.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, TheMagicWombat said:

TY. I found it and did some testing.

Legacy time to delete and then restore 32 notes: 1 second to delete, 1 second to restore.

Evernote 10 time to delete 32 notes: 42 seconds.  I didn't waste my time trying the restore. 

All multi-note operations are painfully slow. Even adding the same tag to a group of notes. I expect it scales linearly with the number of notes but somehow it seems much slower than that.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, TheMagicWombat said:

Legacy time to delete and then restore 32 notes: 1 second to delete, 1 second to restore.

Evernote 10 time to delete 32 notes: 42 seconds.  I didn't waste my time trying the restore. 

I have had the same experience and found it untenable. I am human, I make mistakes and I expect a note taking app to allow me to fix it quickly. Ctrl-z is my best friend. Notions database rollback has saved my neck many times. 

In this forum, the problem Evernote 10 lack of native apps and local data has been discussed regularly. We wish to synch the data (preferably end-to-end encryption) but we expect it to be there when we need it. 
The unsupported Legacy has been presented to cover the inadequacies of Evernote 10. 

Some in the forums have found a safe haven in another app that they use in conjunction with Evernote. For Mac DevonThink is popular. 

For those using a PC ("In October, Windows was the OS on 88.8% of all PCs worldwide, up one-tenth of a percentage point from September," according to  U.S. analytics vendor Net Applications, 09 November 2020) the choice is more difficult, not least because the new entrants overcome platform and device divides by cloud data, and browser / Electron apps.

The hardware has never been so good as what we have today but the performance of the apps is largely indifferent to the hardware capability of the devices we use. 

So we wait and wait and wait...

20 hours ago, Mike P said:

All multi-note operations are painfully slow. Even adding the same tag to a group of notes. I expect it scales linearly with the number of notes but somehow it seems much slower than that.

I had the same measurements even with disconnected network, 1 note per second ?!?!? How can you achieve that on a modern high end PC? There must be a built in delay maybe 😏

• Like 1

Evernote is loading painfully slow - every time I switch between any note I get this error. This happens on two different computers and regardless of what wifi connection I use.

Will the new update get faster or will it always run this slowly?

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 12.09.41 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 12:14 PM, JDW90 said:

Evernote is loading painfully slow - every time I switch between any note I get this error. This happens on two different computers and regardless of what wifi connection I use.

Will the new update get faster or will it always run this slowly?

Let me put it this way--they HAD to have had people test drive this version, and it was given the green light as it was. If Evernote has displayed one constant throughout its entire life, it is this:

The Devs don't care. 

So, because speeding up the process of this 100% cloud-based fiasco would require ANOTHER complete re-write of the code, you can 100% expect all future releases to be this slow. 

And if you, like a lot of users, can't use the new version because it is the slowest database program to ever have been written, remember this:

The Devs don't care. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

10.5 seems to be faster which is nice but not as fast as the V6.25. I wonder how close can it get with the Electron base??

My issue is with the remote desktop Evernote, for some reason 10.5 over there is still as slow as when it was first released. So I still have to keep the Legacy version for work since we use the remote desktop to access all the apps we use. 

I wonder why the remote desktop version is not working for me.

• 1 month later...

Evernote is too slow, it is non-functional. I was planning to upgrade to premium but there is no point! I have a 1MB note and I can´t even navigate in it unless I split it into smaller notes. 

Same here. I'm very disappointed with the product. I'll try to get a refund for my recent premium subscription. I thought it would be useful for my searching projects, but it's a nightmare at this speed.

I hope Evernote is listening. Are you? The new version is a deal killer. Seriously. I get a failure to download error every time I open a new note. Typing inputs are slow. The comments I see across the platforms say the same. I had none of these problems until I updated to Evernote 10. I just went back to the legacy version to get basic functionality back. But this is not a solution.  Is there a solution or one coming  - we need to know! 

In a short amount of time, I will have to switch because if this issue is not addressed because functionally there will be no update in the future for me. Onenote is calling. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Electron base, really? That explains why it is so relentlessly slow even on my macbook pro with 16gb and 200Mbps optical line! 

It seems that these days I am spending more time on the internet searching for answers trying to somehow justify my frustration on how Evernote has gone from one of the few products that I always thought was worth paying for, to a product design that sacrifices productivity and usability over cross-platform maintainability.  

So far this new version has so many negative aspects that greatly outweigh the positive that this is the first time since 2012, premium subscriber, that I am seriously considering abandoning Evernote for good!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What a disappointment this update is. The recent update to the Android app is similarly painful. Somehow Evernote doesn't realize that speed isn't just an incremental difference in a note taking app. If everything is sluggish, it becomes just unusable as the sort of 'brain extension' many of us have become accustomed to.

I fear that having spent the time developing this whole rewrite, sunk cost fallacy will cause them to sick with it, rather than realizing that local data and native apps were a critical aspect of their success, and that's where the focus needs to be. Yes, obviously, it's more efficient if you can have a single app with thin wrappers for each platform. But if that causes the performance to be garbage it's penny wise, pound foolish.

I rely so much on evernote, I've really resisted looking for alternatives. But I feel like they're leaving me no choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 2/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, Anthony G said:

Electron base, really? That explains why it is so relentlessly slow even on my macbook pro with 16gb and 200Mbps optical line! 

It seems that these days I am spending more time on the internet searching for answers trying to somehow justify my frustration on how Evernote has gone from one of the few products that I always thought was worth paying for, to a product design that sacrifices productivity and usability over cross-platform maintainability.  

So far this new version has so many negative aspects that greatly outweigh the positive that this is the first time since 2012, premium subscriber, that I am seriously considering abandoning Evernote for good!  

Totally agree! Think about the same. The new Evernote is slow like a snail.

• Like 1
On 2/27/2021 at 4:25 PM, Nathan T said:

sunk cost fallacy will cause them to sick with it

Good point. One of the fallacies we all fall into one time or more in our lives.

Similarly, sunk cost fallacy may also make me stick with Evernote too since I have so much time and data invested in it too. I really hope the speed issue eventually gets resolved.