What happened to the option to store the large evernote database file to a different drive?

Drogers

Idea

I don't want the evernote database to be stored on my C drive on my Windows 7 PC. I have no space there and it is over 8 gigs.

Previously I had the option on the previous version to change the drive location. Now, the evernote option is gone, and evernote is storing its massive 8 gig drive in the MY Documents folder! 

This is NOT acceptable. Where is the option? I need to downgrade to the previous version if it is not there. 

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

20 minutes ago, Drogers said:

I don't want the evernote database to be stored on my C drive on my Windows 7 PC. I have no space there and it is over 8 gigs.

Previously I had the option on the previous version to change the drive location. Now, the evernote option is gone, and evernote is storing its massive 8 gig drive in the MY Documents folder! 

This is NOT acceptable. Where is the option? I need to downgrade to the previous version if it is not there. 

I totally agree with your comment !

There must be an option to store the Evernote files in alternative locations (e.g. E:\local drive)

• Like 1

It seems I have the 2 versions installed. The previous version with a database, which uses a lot of harddisk space and the new version. When checking the application memory, I noticed this was 24 Gig. My hard disk space is full and I moved every document I could to an external drive.... I don't know how to handle the situation, especially because the newe version doesn't work properly...

I need this too. My Microsoft Surface Go is perfect for Evernote. Evernote 10 runs well on it (and I much prefer it to the old version and the web version), but the 128GB SSD is running out of space and is not replaceable with a larger one. It has an SDXC card slot and I used to have the old Evernote database installed. I am about to reset Windows and reinstall only essential programs, but this will only buy me a little time!

• Evernote Expert

At the moment the only option is to revert to the old legacy version of the program. We have no idea whether the ability to change the location of the data files will be restored but I can guarantee it won't happen quickly.

Anyone with both versions of the program installed should probably uninstall both and then reinstall the so-called legacy version.  Be sure, first of all, that any local folders in v6.25 have been exported so that they can be restored.  Equally make a note of all the personal settings changes so that they can be restored.

• Level 5

You can do what you want to do by using symlinks (symbolic links). This has been described several times in the forum, and is a standard both for Windows and Mac.

Don't know why you simply refrain to use it. It would take away the reason for ranting on, so probably this is what you really want.