Request: Bring back table of contents

Stefan H.

Idea

I used the feature of creating tables of contents very regularly in the older Evernote version, especially in the workflow of using Evernote as a Second Brain (Tiago Forte). Could you please bring back this feature? Thank you!

• Like 3

10 replies to this idea

@Stefan H. Subject to the 50 note limit mentioned by @donnydl, you can create a table of contents (or at least a list of links to multiple notes), by selecting the notes you want, then select the three dots in the pop up menu for processing multiple notes and select Copy Internal Link.  Then you can paste that list of links into a note as a table of contents.  I am not sure if there other elements to the old table of contents feature, but this largely accomplishes the same thing for my workflow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I really don't get why this is not available in the Mac client, as the above fix would seem to make it pretty easy to implement in a more userfriendly way –

Table of Contents is listed as one of the features no longer available for Mac, not as "not yet available".   I thought one of the benefits of cripling the app/using Electron was implementation of feature parity going forward :-(

Upvoted!

7 hours ago, tokeriis said:

I really don't get why this is not available in the Mac client, as the above fix would seem to make it pretty easy to implement in a more userfriendly way –

Table of Contents is listed as one of the features no longer available for Mac, not as "not yet available".   I thought one of the benefits of cripling the app/using Electron was implementation of feature parity going forward 😞

Upvoted!

To my mind the current behaviour is a massive improvement on the legacy TOC. Two main reasons:

1. I can paste the list of note links into a numbered list. I can then drag the items around if I want them in a different order and it automatically re-numbers the list
  2. I can paste my list of note links wherever I like. e.g add to an existing TOC or to a dashboard or wherever.

Long-time user of Evernote and I've sung praises to others, until now.

I'm really frustrated that Evernote got rid of the TOC feature. Instead, they added a bunch of things that I don't need or use. I'm ready to move everything to MS Notebook or some other utility. 

Now,  I have to add Every. Single. Note. By. Hand. to the TOC. Either that, or I have to browse hundreds of notes for what I want - it's impossible to do a search when you're not sure what you're looking for! A TOC lets me skim and find the note(s) I want.

IMHO, removal of the TOC defeats the purpose of actual productivity and has added extra minutes to my note keeping. That means an extra 15 minutes to a half hour added to my work - A DAY!  Thanks Evernote!

8 hours ago, IMTBreds said:

Now,  I have to add Every. Single. Note. By. Hand.

You really don't. The workflow is:

• Select the notes you want in your TOC (as you would have had to do in the legacy version)
  • From the blue multiselect menu that appears choose the three dots and then copy internal links and then choose between internal or web style links. If you want internal links you can just press alt-ctrl-L without even using the three dots
  • Create a new note and paste in your note links. Even better create a bulleted list or numbered list first in your note and paste into that. You can then drag around the items in whatever order you want (and if it's a numbered list it will reorder the numbers)

It obviously doesn't have to be a new note. You can add to an existing TOC or create a TOC in another note. Super flexible - much better than the old one size fits all TOC

• Like 3