Presentation Mode is Gone in the New Update, Need it Back

mikeys

Idea

82 replies to this idea

I am also researching a move from Evernote.  I have loved the program, but without presentation mode I am unable to easily read much of my content.  Please bring it back.  Who could have thought removing such an integral function of the program was a good idea.  Again, please bring it back.

• Like 8

The temporary solution I've found is neither "new" or an alternative, but rather a stopgap and that is to install Evernote Legacy

This gave me back the usability I need (Presentation Mode primarily) until Evernote returns that feature to their latest product version. Until then, I will be looking for a workable alternative. I would really rather stay with Evernote because it has been invaluable to me, in particular over these past few years as an educator, but if I find a solid alternative, I may have no choice to jump-ship. With Evernote developers remaining silent (so far) as to whether Presentation Mode will return, they really leave me with no choice because I fear that support for Legacy will end suddenly with no advance warning.

If that happened mid-semester, it could be disastrously disruptive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Yes. I feel the same way. Presentation Mode is why I pay Evernote Premium. For me, making notes into presentations is one of the best features this app had. Now I'm looking for other alternatives to present my notes and the migration process from Evernote to another app is painful and costly. I think Evernote must take this into consideration. There are many people like me who build their workflow using the feature and now it looks  like all that work is lost. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was very disappointing when they removed presentation mode from the app versions, as that version used to allow me to present my lectures right from my phone or iPad. But without presentation mode in the desktop version, Evernote loses all functionality for me. It was a breath of fresh air for creating clean and crisp presentation slides directly from well-formatted lecture notes that students could follow along with in class and edit. I even wrote about it here to share the feature others. I noticed on the beta testing that the feature was gone and so figured it wouldn't make it into this recent release :( I downloaded a copy of the old installation file and will have to just keep using the old version without any updates until I assume at some point it will likely stop working. It seems like it is a feature that is integral to a small number of users, for whom without it Evernote ceases to be of much use at all, but unfortunately, it seems that this small group is too small. However, I think it should be noted that this small group likely brings in many new users to Evernote by introducing Evernote to students. I've been using Evernote to lecture to university students for the past 6 years. I teach 200+ students per year, which means that at least 1,200 university students have downloaded Evernote while in my classes. Many mention to me that they end up continuing to use Evernote for their other courses and general note taking and organization - with quite a few purchasing a paid student plan. Thus, while those 1,200 may never use presentation mode themselves, they only found and became Evernote users because of the presenter view feature that allows me to make Evernote a centrepiece to all of the courses that I teach. 

• Like 6
On 12/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, drblair said:

It was very disappointing when they removed presentation mode from the app versions, as that version used to allow me to present my lectures right from my phone or iPad. But without presentation mode in the desktop version, Evernote loses all functionality for me. It was a breath of fresh air for creating clean and crisp presentation slides directly from well-formatted lecture notes that students could follow along with in class and edit. I even wrote about it here to share the feature others. I noticed on the beta testing that the feature was gone and so figured it wouldn't make it into this recent release :( I downloaded a copy of the old installation file and will have to just keep using the old version without any updates until I assume at some point it will likely stop working. It seems like it is a feature that is integral to a small number of users, for whom without it Evernote ceases to be of much use at all, but unfortunately, it seems that this small group is too small. However, I think it should be noted that this small group likely brings in many new users to Evernote by introducing Evernote to students. I've been using Evernote to lecture to university students for the past 6 years. I teach 200+ students per year, which means that at least 1,200 university students have downloaded Evernote while in my classes. Many mention to me that they end up continuing to use Evernote for their other courses and general note taking and organization - with quite a few purchasing a paid student plan. Thus, while those 1,200 may never use presentation mode themselves, they only found and became Evernote users because of the presenter view feature that allows me to make Evernote a centrepiece to all of the courses that I teach. 

wow, this was exact the scenario how I was attracted by evernote: During a lecture in the university seeing my tutor using evernote with presentation mode! 

Also this function was the main reason for me to pay for the premium...

It's such a shame to see they took it off in the new version...

• Like 2

Currently I use Dropbox Paper as an alternative for the presentation mode. But I don't use the presentation mode that often, so it's fine with me.

What I like about Dropbox Paper is the intuitive editor, ability to cross-link documents and even Dropbox attachments. In fact I like the editor better than Evernote and I've sent many feedback emails and suggestions to Evernote Team about this.

But, the DroBox Paper does not come close to Evernote when it comes to multi-platform apps, the Evernote Web Clipper, the new Search performance, tagging and organizing notes...

With thousands of notes, DropBox Paper would be a mess... My Evernote is very organised and I can find any note (and related notes) in seconds even after many years.

• Like 1

I agree with all the other posts on this forum. Presentation mode was a key feature for me as I used it routinely for leading meetings. I'm not sure who at Evernote thought it would be a good idea to remove this feature. Although I've loyally used Evernote for at least 8 years and have recommended it to many, I believe Evernote's days are numbered for me if presentation mode does not return. I always created my meeting agenda in Evernote and then used Presentation mode to seamlessly present it. Now I'm forced to either find an alternative or use the legacy version while it remains functional.  

• Like 1

Hello, I realized the Presentation Mode is gone in the new MacOS update. Presentation Mode is the ONLY reason I paid years of Premium Membership for. I use it almost on a daily basis. I would regret to cancel if this feature is now removed for good. But I hope you can bring it back soon. 
If this feature does not come back, I reserve the right to sue you.

basically, i echo everyone's sentiment on here. I wasn't going to post because i cannot possibly vocalize this better than others who've already posted, but maybe the sheer number of complaints will force evernote to bring it back.  I'm blown away that they'd link it's OK to take this feature away.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

For the time being one can use the legacy client with all the features we know and like.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

In parallel prepare for something else, since legacy will stop working one day, be it because of OS changes, or because EN develops further. Personally I doubt that features that were officially discontinued with the release of v10 will come back. Others not mentioned maybe, but those explicitly mentioned are probably gone for good.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Adding my name to the long list of people upset with the removal of presentation mode. I'm a lecturer and it was the ONLY reason I paid for premium. The lack of response from the devs team about this is also a bit galling. I expected them to FIX the formatting issues of presentation mode, not to ditch the feature entirely. I'm currently migrating all my content into another format, just in case, but I'm REALLY hoping they bring this back before my next account renewal.

Just wanted to chime in here and second the above in the hopes that it adds to motivate bringing presentation mode back. I found it very useful, especially in video meetings.  Post-lockdown a much larger proportion of meetings will be video still, so very useful for that context in future too.

8 minutes ago, merman said:

Definitely one of the many features having been removed from V10 without a proper and convincing explanation. Bring it back, please. Or offer a valuable alternative. I've used it for spaced repetition.

I don't know if you have an  iOS device, but if you do an alternative for Evernote + spaced repetition is the app neuracache. It supports importing notes from Evernote and the only requirement is that you format your cards via two column tables in the note. It's not on the roadmap officially but the developer has mentioned that a MacOs app may come in the future.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, merman said:

Definitely one of the many features having been removed from V10 without a proper and convincing explanation. Bring it back, please. Or offer a valuable alternative. I've used it for spaced repetition.

GoodNotes 5 now has a spaced repetition feature, both on iOS and the Mac app. It is still defined as experimental, but it works pretty good already. It uses a special page format, with the top half for the question and the bottom half for the answer.

They have a presentation mode as well, although it is quite different to the p-mode EN has just skipped. Presentation mode in GN5 is more like a whiteboard. You can only share the whiteboard itself, keeping the rest of the screen for yourself.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:40 AM, drblair said:

Update
I know at least one other person on the forum has mentioned this, but Dropbox Paper does seem to be a bit of a replacement for this feature. If you copy/paste your evernote note into Dropbox Paper, it will save wherever you had ‘breaks’ for slides. You can add new slide breaks as well by adding a divider. Unfortunately, the breaks (section breaks) are visible (lines across the document), so it isn’t quite as smooth or seamless as the Evernote presentation mode where you only enter the breaks while in presentation mode. However, you can pick between a light or dark background, and advance slide to slide. I really liked being able to share a public version of an Evernote Notebook with my students, as then they’d have all of my lecture notes all in one place. With Dropbox, I suppose the equivalent would be sharing a folder with them, which doesn’t seem quite as useful - I preferred getting them set up in Evernote themselves so that they could copy the lecture note and then take their own notes inside of their copy of my notes during class. 
For presenting, Evernote has the superior solution, so it really remains really frustrating and unfortuante that they’ve cancelled the feature (unless you stick with the legacy mode). But, at least, this Dropbox Paper solution is better than nothing in the event that legacy mode stops working. 

• Like 2

Here are some comparisons of Evernote Presentation and Dropbox Paper Presentation Modes. Evernote is on the Right, using the middle font size, and DropBox Paper is on the Left. 

Some Key Differences: 

• On Dropbox, you cannot change the font size - all you get is the header and then a standard font size - which you can make Bold - but that's about it. On Evernote, you have the 3 different presentation font sizes that you can select right in the presentation mode - which is useful as it doesn't require making edits to the original note. 
  • Evernote turns your mouse into a colour laser-pointer - dropbox just has your mouse
  • Both can switch easily between dark/light modes 
  • Dropbox Paper can be accessed from a browser - meaning you don't need your own computer with Evernote installed to access it- this seems useful for lecture, as you could just lecture from the computer in the classroom, from an iPad, etc. Evernote originally had presentation mode on the mobile app but removed it (and early sign that presentation features weren't going to be a priority). 
  • Evernote is superior for sharing your notes with students, but it can still be accomplished with Dropbox. You can provide a share view only link, you could make a copy that would be a regular word document and place in a shared folder on dropbox that students have access to. I prefer Evernote here where I can create a shared notebook - I usually had two notebooks per class - one for my version of the lecture notes and then I would copy my lecture notes into the Student shared notebook (public) and sometimes make a few changes (remove announcements, take out some pictures to make the note file size smaller, etc.). This seems like it would not work as seamlessly in dropbox paper, but wouldn't be impossible either. 
  • Copying your notes from Evernote where you have previously presented them and pasting them into DropBox paper preserves the slide breaks you inserted in Evernote! In Evernote, when looking at the note in note form, the breaks are not visible (preferable option), whereas in DropBox paper, the breaks show up, so every few lines you have a line across the page (less preferable). But, in terms of taking old lectures/presentations from Evernote and transferring them to Dropbox Paper, it is nice that the line breaks remain. Of course, if you upgrade to the new Evernote and lose presentation mode, then those breaks will probably disappear and certainly won't be there for any new notes created in Evernote post-presentation mode being available. In DropBox, you just add a "section break" and that will work as a line break in presentation mode. 
  • Evernote presentation mode long ago lost it's nice presentation font - and the issue was never fixed - (again, early sign that they weren't going to keep it). The font for dropbox paper is more visually pleasing, but you still don't have options when it comes to presentation mode. For formatting text, you have the options of bold, italic, underline, strike through, highlighted, bullet points. For font size, you have Heading 1, Heading 2, and regular - but it would be a bit annoying to create your whole document in something like Heading 2 just to have a larger font size during presentation. 
  • Dropbox Paper doesn't get my CPU going the same way that Evernote presentation mode does - so that's another bonus, especially if recording lectures from home during COVID - as sometimes with Evernote presentation mode the fan on my computer would really get going - to the point that it was audible in the video recording. I wonder if this issue may be part of the reason that they removed the feature. 

Anyway - it's not ideal, but it seems that Dropbox Paper might be the best option going forward until someone makes something better. With. just a few tweaks to Dropbox Paper it could indeed surpass the original functionality of Evernote Presentation Mode, and with presentation mode gone, it's obviously better than nothing if not running legacy mode. 

1670652468_ScreenShot2021-02-23at10_44_01AM.thumb.png.c71b5e879e04f12af9c1293419d796cf.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.45.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 10.46.53 AM.png

• Like 2

The DropBox suggestion is very useful - thank you! For me this is about Evernote as a research tool and being able to quickly present fresh material to members of a team. The presentation function was a valuable extension of the other functions that make Evernote a good tool for gathering the materials.

Ah well. Hopefully Evernote will reconsider.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Thanks for pushing this request! I would love to not just see Presentation Mode coming back to the Mac version but also to iPad! 😍

If you feel the same, please consider supporting my request here as well: 

• Like 1

It actually did exist circa 2015 and earlier - you could use presentation mode directly from a mobile device. It was amazing - you could just tap your phone and the slide would advance. I used to use it with airplay to stream to an Apple TV connected to a projector - could then walk all over the room and keep advancing (and seeing) slides from your phone. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, drblair said:

It actually did exist circa 2015 and earlier - you could use presentation mode directly from a mobile device. It was amazing - you could just tap your phone and the slide would advance. I used to use it with airplay to stream to an Apple TV connected to a projector - could then walk all over the room and keep advancing (and seeing) slides from your phone. 

I was equally disappointed when it disappeared as I am now. And there was a similar thread in the discussion forum. The feature did not come back.

• Level 5

You may call it bravery - I call it self inflicted pain.

Currently I am using both clients side by side, each one for what it does better. What counts for me are the results, not the version number. Initially v10 was only for testing, but with the new releases I notice that I shift more and more to the new client.

In one aspect I agree with you: Presentation mode is gone, so maybe better get used to not having it around sooner than later.

• Level 5

Nice try, but I doubt it will help with anything.

I think EN made an analysis of which feature was used how often, and by how many users. Presentation mode as it was set up was like an independent plug in, not sharing a lot of code (probably) with the rest of EN, but making for a more complex data structure and editor for all users. Personally I don’t think it will come back, tweeted or not, and I think there are many features still on the v10 backlog that have a greater importance for all users than the return of presentation mode.

Like everyone above... Please bring back Presentation mode! I have been a long term Premium user and advocate, but now cannot do presentations on the fly. One of the best features. Bring it back! 

• Level 5

You can ask for everything.

I doubt EN will revise their decision on which features they permanently disabled with v10. Presentation mode is one of them.

Workarounds: Short Term you can use legacy. Long term you need another solution.

• Level 5

Everybody can want to get this or that, this is perfectly OK. We all have use cases and are happy when we find an app that supports them. Up to now there is no sign EN will revers a decision to discontinue a feature listed in the release notes for the new client. Presentation mode is listed to be permanently discontinued on the new clients.

You can use presentation mode as long as the legacy client works. Once it stops, you need another solution.

• Level 5

Sorry, it will not return. EN made a clear statement that they will discontinue some features permanently, among them presentation mode. The reason probably lies in the special formatting and HTML-code needed to make it work. 

You can still use it as long as the legacy client works. You can download and use it side by side with v10 - but nobody knows when it will be discontinued. So I would use it to transfer my presentations to another tool (like PowerPoint or Keynote) soon, not to rely on it for anything mission critical.

Evernote removed presentation mode from mobile devices while ago. ☹️ It was an amazing feature and the reason I had Premium at that time. Since they removed it from the desktop now, it doesn't seem they will bring it back. ☹️ 

What drives me crazy is that I love Evernote and see so much potential, but they just don't seem to care... ☹️

The solution I have been using is close to a world class pain, but I thought I would mention it anyway for the case someone finds it helpful.

1. You need to figure out how to get the notes to Trello (depending on your situation, Zapier may be very useful)

2. Trello will let you export the notes to Google Slides (it creates the presentation with a click of the button).

3. Present from Google Slides.

If Evernote doesn't want to support their own "presentation" mode, it would be really cool if they let us integrate with Google Slides directly...

It's just sad...☹️

• Level 5

It will not return, probably because it means a different HTML code for the notes.

You can simply select notes you want to present, copy the links and paste them into a new note, creating a table of content.

You can call each note from there with a click.

If you know the sequence, you can as well add a link to the next „slide“ at the end of each note, or even several if you want to fork.

The significantly better way is to use a presentation program from scratch.

Yes of course you can do all that but the great benefit of the feature was speed and simplicity- just present the note in situ, no messing about with links or spending time creating powerpoints or whatever. The fact that there is no obvious alternative to this feature in competing software means EN are knowingly getting rid of one of their few USPs, which makes no sense. I have cancelled premium because of it and now transferred everything to Apple Notes because for me it does everything that EN now offers without the constant nag screens to upgrade, another irritation.

• Level 5

You have to decide for yourself. Apple Notes is getting closer, especially with the addition of tags with MacOS 12 and iOS 15.

On the other side I don’t know about any good export tool from Apples solution. I personally try to only use apps that don’t create a lock in.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:51 AM, PinkElephant said:

Apple Notes is getting closer

Oooooo.  I haven't looked at apple notes in a while.

It has tags now? 

Can you search using tags - like you can in evernote?

What's the search ui look like?  

When I get an M1, I'm updating to MacOS 12.  Until then, I'm stuck with google articles (and you).  I can't find much on the new Notes App features.

• Level 5

No, Apple Notes hasn’t got tags now, unless you want to use the beta.

But it will have tags when released with iOS 15 and MacOS 12 in autumn.

What I have seen in the WWDC keynote and other presentations looked like „write a # in front of any word, and it is treated as a tag“. So it looks like a hashtag, more or less. Since I do not beta, no idea about the details. It sure did not look as elaborate as EN tags, but Apple is known for minimalistic but working solutions. I won‘t hold my breath until autumn, but will give it a try.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

No, Apple Notes hasn’t got tags now, unless you want to use the beta.

But it will have tags when released with iOS 15 and MacOS 12 in autumn.

What I have seen in the WWDC keynote and other presentations looked like „write a # in front of any word, and it is treated as a tag“. So it looks like a hashtag, more or less. Since I do not beta, no idea about the details. It sure did not look as elaborate as EN tags, but Apple is known for minimalistic but working solutions. I won‘t hold my breath until autumn, but will give it a try.

If you like a minimal setup the tags feature on Apple Notes is a good one. It has a long way to go to get to EN level, but it appears that they are aware of it and headed that direction. What I did notice is that for all the WWDCs in the past, EN has been more front and center on the app wall during the presentation. This past one, it was not. It was down in the lower left-hand corner almost off screen. Hubs says I'm reading into it, but I don't think I am. Not with the upgrades to Notes coming in the new operating systems. Well, that and Apple tends to "hint" at what they are doing, you just have to pay attention.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Well, they always have to dance between good enough and too good for all of their native apps. Apple draws a lot of profit from the AppStore, and most of the business there is 3rd party apps doing things the native apps won’t do. So they improve, but at the same time leave a gap to other apps to survive and thrive.

What I dislike with most Apple apps is that they are all designed with a lock in. Export of content or (beware) moving into another ecosystem is completely up to the users phantasy and ability to perform such a wonder. Apple never seems to be able to liberate enough resources to get these jobs done. Honi sunt qui mal y pense … 

• Like 1

So I let my premium subscription  lapse because of the removal of presentation mode and the inability to upgrade to the latest version without losing the feature. They keep emailing me with deals for renewing and in the emails they list presentation mode as a feature I’ll regain if I re-subscribe - but the feature page for presentation mode still says it isn’t available for the “new evernote for mac/windows.” Seems contradictory? 

D998359D-ED49-4086-B168-6F75E70458C9.jpeg

• Level 5

They doesn't say anything about "Presentation Mode". They say "Present" - which you can do with EN v10, together with all the other stuff in the mail.

No contradiction whatsoever - except IMHO you should finally understand that the toothpaste will not return itself into the tube. Gone is gone, and if you spill milk frequently, get yourself a cat.

Booking a PowerPoint course will do you probably more good in the end than filling the forum with pointless postings.

It says “present with one click” which is precisely how presentation mode has always worked. I’m very capable of using power point and prezi - I use both frequently for certain types of presentations, but evernote presentation mode was just superb for lectures. As for the toothpaste, I had come to terms there and hence didn’t renew my subscription - but I’m unclear as to how presenting with one click will still work if upgrading to the most recent version. 

• Level 5

Citation: „ … present … from one workspace.“

If I would give a presentation based on EN (skipping the bells & whistles of presentation software), I would create a TOC as an anchor. All notes get a link to the next, used  to cycle through the material.

21 hours ago, Coolturens said:

Noo!! Why are you doing this to me 😢 well, let me die in silence. Just till the return of the presentation mode

Unfortunately Presentation Mode isn't coming back. We have been hopeful since 2017 when it was removed, but it has officially been nixed.

• Level 5

If I am not mistaken it was removed just 10 month ago, with the release of v10. At least it is noted in the initial v10 release notes of the Windows and Mac client as a deprecated feature.

It still is available by using the legacy client. However I would not put any further energy in creating new presentations. The presentation mode uses a special „flavor“ of EN HTML to produce the desired effect. It will only be possible to show presentations as long as the legacy client is working. Can be for years to come, can be over soon - nobody can tell for sure.

I would only use it for existing presentations any more.

To show a simple sequence of notes I have posted a workaround above. For anything more advanced, use a presentation software (PowerPoint, Keynote and the like) or one of the web presentation builders (Prezi or similar).

On 7/27/2021 at 1:19 AM, PinkElephant said:

What I dislike with most Apple apps is that they are all designed with a lock in. Export of content or (beware) moving into another ecosystem is completely up to the users phantasy and ability to perform such a wonder. Apple never seems to be able to liberate enough resources to get these jobs done. Honi sunt qui mal y pense … 

True. However: There is a little utility in the Mac App store called Exporter which will export Apple Notes to Markdown format.

• Level 5

Presentation mode will never return - that was clearly communicated when v10 was released. It is terminated, only available through the legacy client. Since legacy is end of life software I don’t think it is a clever idea to create new presentations based on it.

And EN is usually not confirming it still holds what they said - and up to now they have not reversed any decision taken when switching to v10.

The closest thing to it in v10 may be to create a table-of-content note with links to all notes you want to show, and use it to control showing these notes. It is a far cry away from presentation mode, but AFAIK the only presentation support available with v10.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047889214

37FD1DC4-CF48-4C6F-9DF9-F17A3C5875E4.thumb.jpeg.a0d5c0417da46e28d3f5c732129edcec.jpeg

Evernote member since May 2011. I used this feature a lot. Saw it gone, and figured it went offline for them to restructure / improve. Been a long time, and not back. Very sad and disappointed it never re-emerged. Super helpful feature and finding myself wishing more and more that I had it back. 

BRING IT BACK!!!

• Level 5

There are features that just disappeared, without notice. These may come back, or don't - no information about them.

The features of the old app that were explicitly listed are gone, finally, not to return. If you look at presentation mode, it was quite some code involved, and probably only used by a few enthusiasts. 35 upvotes in more than 2 years is a little more than 1 vote per month.

Better invest your energy into finding an alternative for your presentation use case.

• Level 5

It was an intentional decision to not develop presentation mode for v10. This has happened 2.5 years ago, and this thread was started shortly after. It has collected 36 votes up to today. For me this confirms what (probably) was the logic behind this decision: Those few who used it loved it, but most users either had no use case, or didn't even bother it existed.

Since the new app is 100% new code, and since there was no carry over from the old apps, presentation mode got axed. This was communicated when v10 launched.

From what I see here in the forum I doubt this decision will be changed. The feature simply has no wide enough use(r) base to merit a significant investment of dev hours to develop it a second time. It was a bet former management took to attract more users, and it failed to do so. I think the coffin is closed, the lid securely nailed down on it.

The forum is user2user. You can contact support about it.

i understand the issue why evenote is losing their paid customers because of ignorance behaviour...

all other companies add features to their application... and Evernote... 😂😂

• Level 5

With v10 there was added a lot that never existed in prior versions - but since your song is „me, me, me“ instead of „ we, we, we“, you probably don’t take notice.

The former management had dropped a log into the pond, called Presentation Mode. But instead of floating and making nice waves, it sank as the stone it probably was.

If you run against a wall and bump your head, it is not wise to try again. It will just hurt again. So it was abandoned. 

I can only share my best assumption, but this is as dead as it probably can be. The low number of votes and reactions to this thread is somehow the final proof.