Problems with scanning from ScanSnap S1300i into Evernote after upgrading Evernote software

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Hi All,

I'm a long time Evernote and ScanSanp user.

Currently, my main machine is a Macbook Pro from 2018 running macOS High Sierra v. 10.13.6.

I have a ScanSnap S1300i that I was using to flawlessly scan directly into Evernote for some time. All I did was load the document, push the blue button on the scanner, and the document would scan in PDF format directly into Evernote -- either using the open Evernote software, or opening Evernote if I did not have it open.

A few weeks back, I was prompted by the Evernote software on the Macbook to update the software, and did so without thinking.

Now, every time I try to scan a document, I have issues. As before, I load the document, push the blue button, and it scans (ScanSnap Manager opens a window showing "Image Scanning and file saving"). Scan Snap Manager runs OCR. Next, ScanSnap manager throws an error "Failed to start up Evernote for Mac. Make sure that the selected application is installed correctly." This happens regardless of whether or not Evernote is open. If Evernote is not open, it opens immediately after the error is thrown. Again, if Evernote is already open when I push the blue button on the scanner, I still get this error.

The only way to close out the error is to click the "OK" button. 

At that point, another dialog window opens, saying "The scanned images are saved in the folder below. [lists / Users/[my name]/Pictures]. Do you want to delete this file?"

It gives me a yes/no option. At this point, I click "No" and then have to manually go to my "Pictures" folder to go and manually move the most recently scanned file into a manually-created new Evernote note. 

Obviously, this is hugely frustrating and a massive deterioration in workflow from what I had before. 

Any idea of how I can fix this? I saw that "upgrading to ScanSnap Home" entails a reduction in functionality, so would prefer to avoid doing that if possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

I am having the exact same problem after upgrading to Evernote for Mac 10.3.7 yesterday. Using a MacBook Pro on Sierra 10.12.6, the Fujitsu ix500 and ScanSnap Manager. Thinking of using Time Machine to restore my laptop to the prior version of Evernote if there are no other solutions.

I installed the Legacy Version and scanned with ScanSnap.  It now comes it as an unsearchable PDF file and there is no suggested title.  I did review the Preferences on the ScanSnap Home for the Evernote Profile and all the right things are selected.  The note that is created doesn't automatically open for my editing any longer.  It's saved to the folder I've created but I have to navigate to it to add a title.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue, driving me crazy as this was part of my daily/weekly clean up/inbox zero process.

thank you PinkElephant, after playing with it and deleting/restarting a few times, the fujitsu scansnap function is working again. I will no longer update to the newer version, as this is key to my using evernote, and if EN no longer supports, I will need to find another ap that does. Inovation and progress with their app is great, but Evernote, please do not do it at the cost erasing features that are working just fine right now

Thank you

• Level 5

@RobertTostevin Just to set this straight: EN does not say they withdraw support for scanners, or for all ScanSnap scanners.

They just discontinue support for the „Evernote special edition ix500“ scanner, which was for a while sold based on the regular ix500. Any of these „Special Edition“ pieces can be converted to a standard ix500, by simply downloading the latest firmware from Fujitsu and install it to the scanner. It will then work as any other ix500. Just to mention: There is no way back, once converted it stays a regular ix500.

The issue is more that Scanner support is still weak on v10 in general. This is why I think currently the combination of an ix500 (or similar) and the legacy client is the best combination if you need to import a lot of scans into EN. My workflow is intact and did not change, due to running legacy.

The other aspect is whether to use ScanSnapHome or ScanSnapManager as the in-between on the PC or Mac. This is Fujitsu Software, and has nothing to do with EN. One can discuss the pros and cons in length - I have use both and think both are able to provide high quality scans in an efficient workflow for storage in EN. Home is maybe a bit simpler in use, Manager allows deeper control, but is more complicated to set up. Both can scan to an import folder, or send the scanned file directly into EN.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Actually, I'm raising a flag for ScanSnap and Evernote.  The two organisations worked hard to resolve the ScanSnap Manager software which is where the main issue lie. Fujitsu/ScanSnap released an updated version of ScanSnap Manager (v7.0 L30) and it works quite well with Evernote 10.  I can scan directly into Evernote 10 from my s1300i scanner.  The only thing that isn't as it used to be is that the scanning always goes to the default notebook rather than the notebook which last had focus. For some that is an issue since it requires a change in workflow but I scan daily and it works flawlessly.

Windows 10 Pro
Evernote 10.5.7
ScanSnap Manager 7.0 L30

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The ScanSnap Manager issue was especially important for Mac users. 

The prior versions of ScanSnap Manager was 32bit software and stopped working with MacOS Catalina. First Fujitsu told us to move to ScanSnap Home, later they reversed their course and developed the new ScanSnap Manager, which runs on a 64Bit engine. The first release did not work with cloud services (including EN), the second now does. These were all Fujitsu-software shortfalls, and had nothing to do with EN itself.

EN just needs to get the notebook and maybe standard tagging solved, and we are back to business. Currently I still run on legacy with my scanning, because it still supports my workflow better.

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 2:30 PM, PinkElephant said:

The ScanSnap Manager issue was especially important for Mac users. 

The prior versions of ScanSnap Manager was 32bit software and stopped working with MacOS Catalina. First Fujitsu told us to move to ScanSnap Home, later they reversed their course and developed the new ScanSnap Manager, which runs on a 64Bit engine. The first release did not work with cloud services (including EN), the second now does. These were all Fujitsu-software shortfalls, and had nothing to do with EN itself.

EN just needs to get the notebook and maybe standard tagging solved, and we are back to business. Currently I still run on legacy with my scanning, because it still supports my workflow better.

Can I clarify what you are saying here, for my own purposes?

I reinstalled EN Legacy because scanning from Scansnap s1300i wasn't functioning properly. Specifically, each scan would create a new notebook, which was just so frustrating. I've been working in Legacy since I realized what was going on, to keep workflow moving.

Has that issue been fixed in latest EN 10 updates?

Appreciate you!

• Evernote Expert
11 hours ago, Sweenbean said:

Can I clarify what you are saying here, for my own purposes?

I reinstalled EN Legacy because scanning from Scansnap s1300i wasn't functioning properly. Specifically, each scan would create a new notebook, which was just so frustrating. I've been working in Legacy since I realized what was going on, to keep workflow moving.

Has that issue been fixed in latest EN 10 updates?

Appreciate you!

Yes, the new notebook issue was tackled. As I noted above, you need the up to date version of Evernote AND ScanSnap Manager.

• Level 5

Personally I used my ix500 with Win10 and EN (what is today called legacy) first, before switching to a Mac.

Yes, it does work. Make sure you get the latest firmware and ScanSnap Software, either Home or Manager.

With legacy you can choose: There are import folders (scan to a folder, then EN grabs it and imports it from there automatically) or the direct import (create scan profiles in the ScanSnap software to define the import task).

Have not tried it on Windows recently, but AFAIK with v10 import folders are gone.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I used my ix500 with Win10 and EN (what is today called legacy) first, before switching to a Mac.

Yes, it does work. Make sure you get the latest firmware and ScanSnap Software, either Home or Manager.

With legacy you can choose: There are import folders (scan to a folder, then EN grabs it and imports it from there automatically) or the direct import (create scan profiles in the ScanSnap software to define the import task).

Have not tried it on Windows recently, but AFAIK with v10 import folders are gone.

Thanks PinkElephant.  I was able to install ScanSnap Home and Evernote 10.6.9 and made a few tweaks in the ScanSnap settings by creating a few profiles and was able to scan documents directly into Evernote.    

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Home is all about setting up profiles - this is what many users miss, and then they think Home would not be up to the job. The SSManager has more options in general, but to move content from the in tray of the ix500 to a new note, SSHome is a good solution.

I have the ScanSnap software do the OCR as well - if done by EN, it is only available inside of EN, not when you export the pdf (or move your data elsewhere). It is a setting in the profile, and OCR is done before the import happens.

Would the up to date version of Evernote and ScanSnap Manager also work with Scansnap ix500?   

I recently changed platform from MAC to Windows 10 and can't get to print a pdf file directly into Evernote any longer.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

6 minutes ago, usradiology said:

Thanks PinkElephant.  I was able to install ScanSnap Home and Evernote 10.6.9 and made a few tweaks in the ScanSnap settings by creating a few profiles and was able to scan documents directly into Evernote.    

Thanks again!

PinkElephant, last questions! 

Is there a way to print a pdf from a website (like a credit card statement)?  My thought would be to choose a printer, but the options that I get when I choose to print doen't include Evernote.  It only gives me options like for my printer, oneNote, save as pdf, etc. 

7 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Home is all about setting up profiles - this is what many users miss, and then they think Home would not be up to the job. The SSManager has more options in general, but to move content from the in tray of the ix500 to a new note, SSHome is a good solution.

I have the ScanSnap software do the OCR as well - if done by EN, it is only available inside of EN, not when you export the pdf (or move your data elsewhere). It is a setting in the profile, and OCR is done before the import happens.

I can see how many could oversee this configuration with editing the profiles to suit your needs, i.e. duplex, simplex, date format, etc.  I did choose for ScanSnap to do the OCR so I'm good to go with that.  Again, many thanks!

I just posted this question a few minutes ago...  I thought you might know a fix to this question....

QUESTION:  Is there a way to print a pdf from a website (like a credit card statement)?  My thought would be to choose a printer, but the options that I get when I choose to print doen't include Evernote.  It only gives me options like for my printer, oneNote, save as pdf, etc. 

• Level 5

On my Mac it does. On Windows, there may be a „send to Evernote“ option in the right click context menu when you click on a file. But I rarely use Windows these days, so maybe there is somebody else better suited to answer this one.

After 30 years when the IT departments of my employers pushed Windows machines on me, I won’t let this happen where I can decide.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

With Evernote 10 you need to create the Send To Evernote right click option - it is easy to do. However that will not create a PDF of something like a bank statement on a website.  Actually a bank statement is probably a bad illustration - many banks block web clipping and the like from their websites for personal data security.  So to capture a statement from my bank I have to download their prepared PDF and then send that to Evernote.  Otherwise, I use the web clipper quite successfully. The options are sufficient for me although none is to create a PDF.

To create a Send To Evernote link...

• Win+R and type shell:sendto
    • Create shortcut to %localappdata%\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe

• Like 1
7 hours ago, agsteele said:

With Evernote 10 you need to create the Send To Evernote right click option - it is easy to do. However that will not create a PDF of something like a bank statement on a website.  Actually a bank statement is probably a bad illustration - many banks block web clipping and the like from their websites for personal data security.  So to capture a statement from my bank I have to download their prepared PDF and then send that to Evernote.  Otherwise, I use the web clipper quite successfully. The options are sufficient for me although none is to create a PDF.

20 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I can see how many could oversee this configuration with editing the profiles to suit your needs, i.e. duplex, simplex, date format, etc.  I did choose for ScanSnap to do the OCR so I'm good to go with that.  Again, many thanks!

I just posted this question a few minutes ago...  I thought you might know a fix to this question....

QUESTION:  Is there a way to print a pdf from a website (like a credit card statement)?  My thought would be to choose a printer, but the options that I get when I choose to print doen't include Evernote.  It only gives me options like for my printer, oneNote, save as pdf, etc. 

7 hours ago, agsteele said:

Agsteele, thanks for making it easy to install a "Send To Evernote" right click option.  I tested it and it works great. 

Now, thanks to PinkElephant, I'm able to scan documents directly into Evernote with my old but reliable ix500 scanner.  And thanks to you, I'm able to download PDF files and "Send To" them easily to Evernote.  Complete solution!  Have a great weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else have the below problem of ScanSnap scans to Evernote missing the .pdf extension? My system is Windows 10 Pro 32-bit.

When I scan a document from Windows ScanSnap Manager 7.1 L25 to Evernote 10.6.9, It scans fine, but the document inserted into the note is missing the .pdf extension. It's a pdf searchable file, but without the extension. 

The 'Import Complete' message comes up,  I click 'OK', and a new note is created with my pdf file without the .pdf extension. To open it with a viewer like Foxit Reader, I must first rename it to add the extension.  This is strange because the same file that is stored in the c:\users\.....\pictures folder does have the proper .pdf extension.

It should be noted that I do not have this problem with my Legacy version of Evernote.

• 1 month later...

I am also have lots of problem after all the update. 

Finally broken down and bought a ScanSnap IX 1600 which have cloud support to scan to Evernote directly without connect to a Mac or PC.  It was a bit confusion to setup, but once it is setup, so far works well.

• Level 5

Fujitsu offers the direct scan (via ScanSnap Home do ScanSnap Manager), the cloud version and a mobile app.

Probably there is something for everybody. Since I prefer my scans to have the OCR data embedded, I stick with my Mac software (currently ScanSnap Manager). By still using EN legacy to import, I have no issues.

• 2 months later...

I have a Mac OS Sierra v10.12.6 so Legacy would not launch since it requires a later version of the OS. I downgraded to an earlier v7 (and much better looking/working, as far as I am concerned) version of Evernote using a link provided by user in this forum and scanning to Evernote started working for me again.

• 1 year later...

I continue to have difficulty with scansnap 1300i and Evernote 10.42.7, everything on latest versions due to complete Windows 10 rebuild.  Scan to evernote (document) produces the error 'Failed to start up Evernote for Windows'.  This did not happen with legacy Evernote and legacy Scansnap manager.  My slightly unsatisfactory but totally effective solution is to use a 'legacy machine' running Windows 10 and legacy scansnap + Evernote.  Is there a better way - do I need to bin the (perfectly functional) 1300i to get support?  This functionality is important to me.

• Level 5

Forget the direct scan.

Use ScanSnap Manager, and give the scan a sound file name when it pops up in the Manager window. This will become the note title later, doing it directly avoids rework.

Then file the scan into an import folder (in the same window where you applied the file name), that you have defined before and linked to the proper notebook. You can even have several import folders, each one linked to a different notebook - again saving rework.

I have it set to do the OCR as well. The advantage is that the search data is in the pdf, not in the note. This makes the pdfs searchable outside of EN, and text can be extracted. Search in EN will grab the information, so search will work as usual.

Thanks for the tips, PinkElephant.  I can't help thinking this is a step backward since the previous workflow was reasonably effortless/automated - but I've got used to this with 'Evernote 10'.  Sadly it no longer even surprises me greatly, but I am still baffled at the thought-processes of the management and may need to study some old Dilbert cartoons for further insights and light relief.

• Level 5

Personally I don’t think the old direct scan had any advantage. It just created cryptic notes, that needed rework.

V10 brought import folders to the Mac - this is progress, not only for scanning. I have an import folder on my desktop. Whenever I want to file anything away in my account, it is drag & drop the file on the import folder - done.

We would have never ever seen import folders on the Mac with legacy - just need to look at years of effort just to keep legacy afloat, when in autumn every year Apple releases the new MacOS version. The new approach allowed to break this stalemate.

And I scan a lot, using an ix500 workhorse scanner.

• Evernote Expert

Which version of the ScanSnap software do you have? It has over the past year been updated significantly to work with Evernote 10. I can scan direct into Evernote 10 although I far prefer the import folder approach for its greater flexibility.

• Like 1