Note taking in context: Evernote 10, OneNote and Notion

When choosing a note taking app, it is not only the core functionality that is important but the integration with other services and the ability for the user to add augmented functionality so as not to be hostage to feature roadmap.  

·         Core functionality – what comes out of the box - standard

·         Integration – provided through an ecosystem and addons - easy

·         Augmented functionality – functionality that is user specific – with some effort

Evernotes API is currently troubled. I assume here that it is working. 

Your comments are welcome. :-)

Note taking app

Core functionality

Integration

Augmented functionality

What is lacking

Evernote 10

Online, web clipping, folders, tags, rich search, OCR, multi-device, multi-OS, notes history, note annotation, familiar branding.

Google provides email, calendar, task management, team sharing and cloud storage

Evernote has an API which is used to synchronise with Notion. This forum could provide other examples.

Native apps (slow) and local storage, cannot select multiple items, email sharing and more. Maturity and stability.

OneNote

Whiteboard integrating all media types. Online, web clipping, folders, search, OCR, multi-device, multi-OS, notes history, native app performance on Windows 10, note annotation, email sharing, good editor.

Outlook.com provides seamless integration with email, calendar, task management, team sharing and cloud storage

Onetastic macro library for power functions in a whiteboard environment

No tags, no rollback. Risky to use macros that overwrite text.

Notion

Database with attached webpages. Online, web clipping, database, rich search, multi-device, multi-OS. Rollback permits correction of errors, good editor. 

Embedding with Micro, Google Drive, Google Documents, YouTube, etc. Evernote content synchronises quickly with Notion via API.

Notion is a database that allows, with a little knowledge and no coding, to build folders, tags, save searches, and project management functionality.

No OCR. Search does not include attachments or URLS (YouTube) in the notes pages. No email sharing or print function. Google email, calendar and tasks are not integrated with Notion.  

Nimbus

Online, web clipping, folders, OCR, multi-device, multi-OS, familiar UI.

Limited

None

Native apps (slow) and local storage, basic search and no tags. Limited integration. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Alvin C said:

Tags can only be added in database and usually they will lose when moving to other databases (sometimes it works by luck).

Not sure what that means. The 500 note import with Nimbus had issues but tags imported fine as best I can tell.  They have notebooks and tags as filters in their search.  

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Not sure what that means. The 500 note import with Nimbus had issues but tags imported fine as best I can tell.  They have notebooks and tags as filters in their search.  

Oh, I am really sorry. I misread Nimbus as Notion.