Scannable zoom in cropping mode broken

I'm experiencing a bug in Scannable while cropping images. Normally there is a zoom bubble to help with fine tuning while cropping at the top of the screen. After my recent iOS update that bubble now displays black only. I'll list my setup's details bellow.

• iPhone Xs
  • iOS v14.1
  • Scannable v2.4 (1529)

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5

Scannable was AFAIK purchased off the shelf by EN some time ago, and never really got integrated into the app. It never was a great scanner, and I could never find a unique ability that would make me use it. I sometimes doubt that anybody who originally developed it is still with EN today.

The current trend at EN is clearly to integrate scanning into the app itself. You can directly create a new note in scanning mode, and can add new scans to a note by hitting the blue + button at any time. I doubt that Scannable will get a rework job, so probably you should think about moving to other scanners instead of sticking with it.

A good solution in the free segment is Office Lens by Microsoft, in the paid segment I am a fan of ScannerPro. The EN capabilities and integration of ScannerPro is in fact better than everything Scannable offers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

in the paid segment I am a fan of ScannerPro. The EN capabilities and integration of ScannerPro is in fact better than everything Scannable offers.

Scannable works well for me, generating pdfs of scanned images    
It's integrated with Evernote and generates pdfs    
No OCR, but It's free

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Scannable was AFAIK purchased off the shelf by EN some time ago, and never really got integrated into the app. It never was a great scanner, and I could never find a unique ability that would make me use it. I sometimes doubt that anybody who originally developed it is still with EN today.

The current trend at EN is clearly to integrate scanning into the app itself. You can directly create a new note in scanning mode, and can add new scans to a note by hitting the blue + button at any time. I doubt that Scannable will get a rework job, so probably you should think about moving to other scanners instead of sticking with it.

A good solution in the free segment is Office Lens by Microsoft, in the paid segment I am a fan of ScannerPro. The EN capabilities and integration of ScannerPro is in fact better than everything Scannable offers.

Thank you PinkElephant for your comments. Well I liked the simpleness of Scannable and the great integration into EN. But with your explained history of the roots of scannable and that it might not be further developed it seems for me a good advise of yours to change to another scanner app.

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@DTLow So everybody uses what fits best. In fact I had Scannable removed from my iPhone already. But then came this nice feature with iOS 14 to keep an app installed, but remove it from the active screens. So I decided to keep it, but in fact I have only used it to find out it still it that old app somehow stuck in a time warp. The list of what it can’t do compared to other apps is growing, because other apps are innovating.

But for basic scanning, ok, usable. I don’t feel it offers real benefit compared with the integrated scanner in EN.

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar issue with the scannable app manual cropping mode. Where the zoomed bubble use to show a detailed of the corner grabbing point. Now bottom half of the bubble circle is black and only show the underlying image on the top half. 

371F31A0-CE49-4A4D-9FB2-43AF964D5105.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the same issue and would like to respectfully ask the Evernote team to update the scannable app. The reason I haven’t moved to a different scanning app is because, after I scan a number of pages (on iPhone), I “send” them directly to a shortcuts app I wrote that asks a number of questions about the pages (and files everything appropriately in Evernote). The other scanning apps I’ve used typically are not as straight-forward as to how the scanned pages are sent to my shortcuts script (ie: there are more “steps” involved). So, scannable works really well for me and I just hate to see it slowly deteriorate. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

There seem to be a lot of broken windows here… no more support ticket system on the main website, bugs going unfixed for months, and I have NO CLUE what's going on with my username 🤣 I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.

The Scannable app has never garnered much love but it always worked fine for my purposes (I've yet to find an alternative that does what I want) so I saw no reason for EN to mess with it. The zoom bubble breaks one of the key features that I've yet to find elsewhere though - the ability to crop and perspective-shift images that I have had to scan at an angle. The scanning feature built into the Evernote app itself doesn't even support this, so it's not like there's a workaround/alternative. Is this it for Evernote? Given that 50% of the value I get from Evernote is its ability to store away arbitrary scans of important documents, is this the incentive for me to start looking elsewhere?

If so, I'd welcome suggestions (both for suitable alternatives AND for a way to export all of my notes to another service with minimal effort!)

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thank you for your post. You speek out of my heart.

I‘m waiting here for quite a while for any response from Evernote. It seems that we are all alone here and that EN doesn’t give a f... what are their users are saying or hoping for.

I was about to ask how, since the support ticket mechanism in Scannable also seems broken, but I’ve just submitted one through EN so we’ll see how that goes. 

As a long time user of Evernote, my question to other users still stands: do the ‘broken windows’ ring alarm bells for you? Are any of you looking to move your notebooks elsewhere and if so, how are you planning to do it?

• Level 5

Currently the iOS app (10.5) is already running pretty good, at least on newer hardware.

On the desktop I run legacy for work, and v10 so see how good it is already. v10 alone would still not be up to my use cases. With legacy, no need to move ...

Scannable IMHO never has been a top runner for scanning. There are even 3rd party apps with a better integration of EN into the scanning workflow that Scannable - try ScannerPro, for example. AFAIK Scannable (as Penultimate) are not home breed from EN, but purchased companies that brought these solutions into the EN cosmos. So they are treated as the poor step-brothers and sisters, not really getting resources and attention.

I do have ScannerPro, but it has just never felt as quick or easy to use. It does a lot more, granted, but I’ve just grown to love Scannable for the convenience that it offers in doing extremely well the one job I want from it. 

I guess if there’s no chance of Scannable being fixed then I’ll have to revert to ScannerPro. A shame, but I understand software doesn’t live forever. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Habe you ever tried the workflow feature build into ScannerPro ?

You define a workflow for each regular scanning job, like receipts, professional, hobby, newspaper, whatever. You define into which notebook the scan should go, and which tags to apply. Then you simply scan (several pages), edit the scan, do your own OCR, name the scan, and when you are done, you hit share and select the workflow. The scan is imported, rework usually is zero. 80% of my scans are covered by appr. 10 workflows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just submitted a support ticket for this exact issue. I will let you know if I get a response.

As for using other scanning apps I just tried Scanner Pro at the suggestion of several people in this thread and it is not as quick and easy to do scans as the Scannable App is from my first use. It does however have one of the main features I would love the Scannable App to have and that is to apply tags to a scan prior to being sent to Evernote. I tried this feature using Scanner Pro and it is less than desirable. If you have a lot of tags, which I do, you will be scrolling forever due to the lack of a search feature when selecting tags. With my workflow and tagging system it would not save time but take more time. If this app was quicker and easier to use and would add the search capability instead of having to scroll and select when assigning tags I would definitely use it. But right now not at the $19.99 a year price tag. If Scannable would charge for their app and keep it updated I would be all over it. I don't mind paying for something that works, is efficient, and saves time. Unfortunately, neither does for me at the time so fingers crossed on Evernote fixing and updating Scannable.

I just received a two part response from Evernote regarding the Scannable App bug using the zoom in cropping mode that remains broken. I received this response within an hour of submitting support ticket. Here are both responses in their entirety along with my original support ticket description. Hope this is helpful.

1st Response

Hi there,

My name is Brittany, and I manage the support team here at Evernote. I wanted to let you know we received your support request, and you should be hearing from an agent soon. While we are reviewing the information you provided, I wanted to also share a few quick resources to help you in the meantime:

1. Ensure you are on the most up-to-date version of Evernote on your device [www.evernote.com/download].
2. Speak with other active users about Evernote on the Discussion Forums [discussion.evernote.com].
3. Search Evernote Help & Learning for feature updates and troubleshooting steps for any Evernote issues [help.evernote.com].
4. If you are experiencing an issue that is preventing you from using your Evernote application, you can still use Evernote on a desktop web browser at [evernote.com/login].

Should you still need some help from our support team, it is imperative to have your applications updated to the most recent version. In order to expedite support, please also reply to this email with an activity log from the device on which you are experiencing the issue. https://help.evernote.com/hc/articles/208314078

Thank you for your patience while we process your request.

Evernote Blog: https://blog.evernote.com
Evernote Discussion Forums: https://discussion.evernote.com

Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

2nd Response

Jansen A. (Evernote Help and Learning)

Apr 7, 2021, 8:37 PDT

Hi Mark,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Customer Support.

I understand you're having trouble with cropping a scanned image. I apologize if the issue has been going for a while now, and for any inconvenience this is causing on your end.

We are aware of this issue. While I don't have a specific timeline for the implementation of a fix, please know that our engineering teams are working as diligently as possible to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, a workaround would be to save the scan in Evernote and crop from there.

Thank you for your patience as we work on resolving this irregularity.

If there's anything else I can help you with, please feel free to reach us out.

Regards,

Jansen A.
Customer Support Representative

My Original Support Ticket Description

Mark Burdette

Apr 7, 2021, 8:22 PDT

When cropping an image after scanning half of the magnification feature is blackened out on the bottom half and I'm not able to see the full image to know where to crop with precision. I'm currently using Evernote Scannable version 2.4 (1529). You can see in the screenshot attached that the indicator lines are below the right corner and from the magnified image I can't tell where the corner is because it is blacked out. This has been going on for some time and been hoping this would have been fixed but thought I would make you aware of my experience. I use this product every day and it is becoming annoying, to say the least. Hope this feedback helps. Thank you in advance for your assistance with this issue.

Attachment(s)
Evernote Scannable Magnification Feature Bug 04-02-2021.png

Evernote Blog: https://blog.evernote.com
Evernote Discussion Forums: https://discussion.evernote.com

Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

Evernote Scannable Magnification Feature Bug 04-02-2021.png

I had exactly that response. Evernote doesn't implement the freeform cropping that Scannable has. If the scanned document isn't perfectly cropped/skew-corrected then you can only crop orthogonally. I replied to them with this. They just said that it's not high priority to fix. :(