Jump to content

Checkbox vs. Checklist: forced indent


Recommended Posts

There is a new feature called the checklist, apparently it is just an indented list with checkboxes.  Not sure I care for it myself.

The problem is that if I try to add a plain checkbox to a note, then press enter, it automatically becomes a checklist.  Since they are presented as separate features, I am assuming this is a bug.

  • Like 3
Link to post

It's a useful tool.

Takes some getting used to - if you find yourself with a checklist, you can remove it by going to the "More" dropdown and unclicking the Checklist option , you can then select the text you want to add a checkbox to...

Or at the end of your checkbox line press ctrl+enter - that doesn't create a checklist after the initial checkbox

Perhaps not wholly intuitive - rather than placing a checkbox at the start when you add some text, you need to add the checkbox after you've out your text in (I think(

BUT - it's a bug because it doesn't follow the same process as in the iOS or Android versions - see Stacey Harmon's video explanation of this new feature: https://www.harmonenterprises.com/blog/evernote-feature-training-checkboxes-checklists-ios10

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
30 minutes ago, AdmiralP said:

Or at the end of your checkbox line press ctrl+enter - that doesn't create a checklist after the initial checkbox

That doesn't work for me but shift-enter does. I actually prefer the new checklist feature but it has been annoying me that if I do want a checkbox it too easily reverts to a check list. Thanks for the tip.

I also noticed that if you reject the change by pressing back space and then press enter again it leaves the checkbox as a checkbox.

Link to post

There is a different in the output between checklist and checkbox.  When you "check" a given checklist entry, its text  will become all strighthrough.

The new default seem to have checklist created.

The "workaround" that I use to enter quickly  a checkbox (the former one supported that doesn`t strikethrough the text) consist in entering <space><[><]>, i.e <space> followed by the 2 [] characters. It works well for me and since then I am happy with checklist and checkbox.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

if you find yourself with a checklist, you can remove it by going to the "More" dropdown and unclicking the Checklist option , you can then select the text you want to add a checkbox to...

That doesn't remove the indent from previous lines, and it removes the checkbox entirely from the current line.

  

5 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

Or at the end of your checkbox line press ctrl+enter - that doesn't create a checklist after the initial checkbox.

Doesn't do anything on my Win 10 computer in EN v. 10.2.4.

  

5 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

Perhaps not wholly intuitive - rather than placing a checkbox at the start when you add some text, you need to add the checkbox after you've out your text in (I think(

That's what I was doing in the first place, and it doesn't work either, if I add a number of lines with text,  manually add checkboxes to each line, then press enter, the whole thing gets indented.

Unless you mean adding it at the end of the line, which doesn't make sense to me personally.

  

5 hours ago, AdmiralP said:

BUT - it's a bug because it doesn't follow the same process as in the iOS or Android versions - see Stacey Harmon's video explanation of this new feature: https://www.harmonenterprises.com/blog/evernote-feature-training-checkboxes-checklists-ios10

It's a bug because there are two separate features forced to behave as one, and besides in the legacy version pressing enter created a checkboxed line with no indent.

No idea what the iOS version in a third party explainer would have to do with it  . . .

Link to post
3 hours ago, Mike P said:

That doesn't work for me but shift-enter does.

if you reject the change by pressing back space and then press enter again it leaves the checkbox as a checkbox.

That works, but a checkbox is not entered on the next line as previously.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Lemayp said:

When you "check" a given checklist entry, its text  will become all strighthrough.

I understand, it is a nice feature, and it is yet another evidence that the two functions are different.  Perhaps adding the option to not indent at all is the solution I hope to get from EN.  Unfortunately the strikethrough doesn't show in Android, it does on iOS, but too slow to use.

  

1 hour ago, Lemayp said:

The "workaround" that I use to enter quickly  a checkbox (the former one supported that doesn`t strikethrough the text) consist in entering <space><[><]>, i.e <space> followed by the 2 [] characters. It works well for me and since then I am happy with checklist and checkbox.

That solution leaves a space before every checkbox.  A script can easily automate the process and remove the space, but I think I'll wait until they fix this problem before looking at writing one.

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Lemayp said:

The "workaround" that I use to enter quickly  a checkbox (the former one supported that doesn`t strikethrough the text) consist in entering <space><[><]>, i.e <space> followed by the 2 [] characters. It works well for me and since then I am happy with checklist and checkbox.

Nice hack, thanks. We should just make it clear to others that if you don't put the space in first you get a check list.

Link to post
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if it is a feature of the latest update, but while the space [] hack works while entering data in a regular bulleted list, the list is still converted to a checklist the next time I start up Evernote. It appears that Evernote is trying very hard to convert every instance of a check box to a checklist with its specific behavior (strikethrough when checked). This is very limiting. There are many cases where a checkbox does not imply done. It might identify the presence or absence of a feature.

Link to post
1 hour ago, N Allen said:

There are many cases where a checkbox does not imply done. It might identify the presence or absence of a feature.

Agreed

To be fair to EN it is only checkboxes at the beginning of a line it wants to convert to checklists. The space[] hack normally works but I agree that it doesn't in a bulletted list. Since responding to your other post I have found that if you use a character other than space before the checkbox that works even in a bulleted list. If you can really be bothered you can even make the text white but a better option is probably to choose as unobtrusive characrter as you can find!

image.png.41701ae1cc0a6461aa349bb772932217.png

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, Mike P said:

To be fair to EN it is only checkboxes at the beginning of a line it wants to convert to checklists.

Except that the beginning of a line is where checkboxes naturally go!

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Since responding to your other post I have found that if you use a character other than space before the checkbox that works even in a bulleted list. If you can really be bothered you can even make the text white but a better option is probably to choose as unobtrusive characrter as you can find!

Yes, the vertical is probably the best option--until EN decides that it means something else! 😉

  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...