offline notes in latest update - Mac

• Level 5

No, you still have an offline database on your Mac.

What got abandoned with v10 are local notebooks - this are / were notebooks that only exist locally on your Mac or Windows drive, without being synced with the server. This type of notebooks is gone, and (from the release notes) will not return.

Another issue that was reported about the new v10-apps was that you need to log into your EN account while online. You can access your offline database when there is not internet, but only if you are already logged into your account with the app. I can’t check if this is true, I am still on legacy.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconvents said:

Has this really disappeared with the lateste update?? Can anyone confirm?

Evernote continues to have an offline database913115148_ScreenShot2020-11-05at2_59_47PM.png.933fc691f7a4be8636f36750716866cf.png
It's actually optional, controlled by a setting in Preferences

• Level 5
On 11/5/2020 at 2:59 PM, PinkElephant said:

No, you still have an offline database on your Mac.

The database may be there, but I cannot search the whole DB for text within pdf attachments when offline. (I'm pretty sure this worked in V 7).

"Find within note" does work on a pdf attachment, but only after a single note itself has been opened.

(mac OS 10.15.7; EV v 10.3.6)

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Peter Olins said:

The database may be there, but I cannot search the whole DB for text within pdf attachments when offline

This is a new topic - I submitted the post linked below  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Offline searching still works for text and downloaded web pages, but not for attached PDF documents.

Searching is THE key feature that has allowed me to create my whole workflow within EN. I would gladly pay double to have the main functionalities restored.

(mac OS 10.15.7; EN 10.3.6)

I am a long term premium user and shocked that Evernote have taken away Local Notebooks. I am shocked because Evernote seems to think that I will be happy to put my tax returns, banks statements, and nearly 3000 other private notes on the cloud!

I have 2FA, but being a former software engineer myself, forgive me if I don't buy into Evernote's claim that my notes will be safe on the cloud. 

So, sticking with the subject of this thread, please don't muddy the water with offline notebooks which do not provide the privacy that local notebooks offer. 

Question: What does Evernote think people like me are to do with our private notes? I still need them in Evernote because I want to be able to use the excellent tagging feature.

If the answer is put them on the cloud, then sadly my 10 year love affair with Evernote may be over 😒

---

Reference : Convert Local notebooks: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005107-Convert-local-notebooks

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Comp said:

So, sticking with the subject of this thread, please don't muddy the water with offline notebooks 

You are the "muddy the water"
The subject of the discussion is "offline notes in latest update - Mac"    
Local Notebooks is a completely different discussion    

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 10:57 PM, DTLow said:

Evernote continues to have an offline database913115148_ScreenShot2020-11-05at2_59_47PM.png.933fc691f7a4be8636f36750716866cf.png
It's actually optional, controlled by a setting in Preferences

I do have that option enabled but if I loose my internet connection, evernote starts to crash... and also I loose the ability to create new notes, they get blank and I can't event create the title...

I have to quit evernote, get an internet connection, and start evernote again... this needs to change! Hope it's on the "to-fix" list