[Fixed in Version 10.3] Offline Notebooks take a long time/too long to download

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, hpuype said:

Offline notebooks don't download completely. Also it's impossible to turn the existing notebooks off in preferences. 

I’ve not experienced this.  After enabling the option for a notebook.  It seemed to be active pretty quick.  I was only testing a small notebook.  Then I was able to use the slider to deactivate offline and it showed a warning message about it clearing the data.

Maybe the option to turn it off is unavailable because the download didn’t complete?

• Level 5*
On 9/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, Wilburguy said:

It took me 5 hours to redownload my data. UNACCEPTABLE!

For my download, .... I'll get back to you next week (16GB) 😕
My offline notebooks download completely (eventually)
I'm able to update the Offline Notebook selection

• Like 1

For me, It's now been 2 days waiting for my inbox to achieve 'offline status'.... and the progress bar is barely 1/4 of the way through - and this notebook is only about 370 notes at the moment...  I better not turn on offline notebooks for my 17,000 note notebook. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, ej8899 said:

For me, It's now been 2 days waiting for my inbox to achieve 'offline status'.... and the progress bar is barely 1/4 of the way through - and this notebook is only about 370 notes at the moment...  I better not turn on offline notebooks for my 17,000 note notebook. 

I came to this conclusion back when.  Asked myself how often am I without Wifi and the answer was not often.  Without cellular almost never.  So I created a notebook named Quick and put whatever notes in there I really, really needed at any point in time, which is typically less than 10.  Takes a bit of planning on my part relative to moving notes in and out of Quick but it eliminates some of the issues I was having with the offline downloads.  FWIW.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I came to this conclusion back when.  Asked myself how often am I without Wifi and the answer was not often.  Without cellular almost never.  So I created a notebook named Quick and put whatever notes in there I really, really needed at any point in time, which is typically less than 10.  Takes a bit of planning on my part relative to moving notes in and out of Quick but it eliminates some of the issues I was having with the offline downloads.  FWIW.

Yes - I've got a "wallet" notebook for this - it's about 150 notes.   But.... I also  like to have my inbox set to offline so I can work on it while on flights.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, ej8899 said:

Yes - I've got a "wallet" notebook for this - it's about 150 notes.   But.... I also  like to have my inbox set to offline so I can work on it while on flights.

Ditto.  My two offline notebooks are INBOX and Quick.  Typically less than 10 notes each.  Most of the time I have a laptop for inflight.  i should say I did before Covid happened.

• Level 5

Just as a notice: Downloading my Offline stuff is nearly impossible on iPhone and iPad.

On the iphone I have a selection of a few notebooks, on the iPad the full set of all notebooks. Both have started, but progress is very slow, and on some notebooks seems to have stalled in the middle. If it continues with that pace, I will need a month or so to get the initial download done.

Currently it is not critical, I mostly used it to work on my notes during train rides. Not much of that since COVID-19...

iPad 10.5 / 512, iPhone 11 Pro Max / 256, both still on iOS 13.7.

I'm wondering if there's been any progress or update with this issue. I've downloaded the latest iOS release today but offline notebooks are still not updating.

Having access to notes offline is crucial for me. Currently, Evernote is acting only as a web client, which makes it redundant for my purposes.

Any news or an estimate of when this will be fixed?

• Like 1
10 分鐘前, Gavin Gough說:

I'm wondering if there's been any progress or update with this issue. I've downloaded the latest iOS release today but offline notebooks are still not updating.

Having access to notes offline is crucial for me. Currently, Evernote is acting only as a web client, which makes it redundant for my purposes.

Any news or an estimate of when this will be fixed?

I found that downloading is a bit faster, while the all downloaded successfully is not ensured.

say when I add a note on iPad, the iPad side will have all downloaded notes on that folder, while on iPhone side it is still downloading (endlessly) due to that note. But force quitting the app will help.

Yeah this upgrade really cost me. I had a note with extensive notes for a backpacking trip, checked the note before I went to bed. Update happened, I got to the trailhead, and all the notes I made were unavailable. I had seen them the night before!!!

Can you believe they made a revision like this that doesn't utilize the notes already downloaded?

I contacted tech support today, they told me 10.x is beta and gave me instructions for backtracking to production 8.x. I'm not in beta! So clearly support is not being kept in the loop. The chat transcript is pretty amazing...

And no answer for downloading offline notebooks now. Just check the preference and wait forever.

Another fun bug: If you download every note one by one, it still doesn't show the progress bar as 100%. I deleted my trash then it showed 100%... but the menu still does not show notebook as "available offline".

There's a huge YOU HAD ONE JOB meme being played out here.

Hint: You CAN force download, by visiting note by note. I have only 1800 notes across 82 notebooks, and 3 devices to sync. Fun!!!

• Like 1

I'm guessing that staff read the forum as I sometimes see replies. It would be helpful to hear news about this issue.

Currently, Evernote on iOS is not downloading notes for offline viewing. This makes it unusable without an internet connection.

I'm increasingly frustrated that using Evernote seems to demand an ongoing battle to retain basic functionality. I understand that development can sometimes be a case of one step back and two forward but it's disappointing when the most basic functions cease to work.

The absence of news and updates only makes that sense of disappointment and frustration more pronounced. So, to any Evernote staff reading posts, how about some feedback and reassurance that steps are being taken to quickly fix the things that once worked and are now broken?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This update is a nightmare. I have over 50 Gb of data in Evernote which I sync to my iPad Pro and iPad Mini. At current download rates it will take me a month to download all the data. When I installed the new version, I didn't expect the app to delete all my data and then re-download it.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, DAVID p said:

I have over 50 Gb of data in Evernote which I sync to my iPad Pro and iPad Mini. At current download rates it will take me a month to download all the data. .

This isn't new to this release - offline download has always been slow   
A good practice is to have priority notebooks to ensure critical notes are downloaded first

51 minutes ago, DAVID p said:

What caught me out was that I don't remember previous updates dleting all my data and there was no mention of deleting in the update script. Had there been one I would have done things differently.

The difference to prior updates ist that this release was completely new built on a new code base. This leads to the point that probably all data had to be new organized (and als well reloaded and reconstructed) completely new. In contrast prior updates mostly have just been "updates" which used the same data basis for notes.

• Level 5

How often do you want to copy and paste this piece of .... prose (yes, some other words crossed my mind) in the forum ?

Everybody who wanted to know is now probably aware of the fact that you do not like what you‘ve got. Beside this, your posting is empty of any facts related to the thread you are posting in. Oh, no: syncing is ESSENTIAL (surprise, surprise).

IMHO you can stop bashing around. To write some substantial posts or better support tickets about what you want would be a way to contribute.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, J D said:

I contacted tech support today, they told me 10.x is beta and gave me instructions for backtracking to production 8.x. I'm not in beta! So clearly support is not being kept in the loop. The chat transcript is pretty amazing...

Can you share the backtracking instructions.  And last I check 10.0 is not a Beta.

The – for me – very important function of offline notebooks in the new Evernote iPhone iOS app does not seem to work reliably at the moment: I have been waiting for days for the notebooks with about 7.000 notes in 40 notebooks to be loaded offline on the iPhone – they seem to stuck loading at 20-30 % – on all of my iPhones.

I have had a paid Evernote account for many years - I have to be able to rely on the service as my extended knowledge base.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, JMG-CH said:

I have been waiting for days for the notebooks with about 7.000 notes in 40 notebooks to be loaded offline on the iPhone – they seem to stuck loading at 20-30 % – on all of my iPhones.

I have one notebook with only 18 notes stuck half way for several days now.  Two larger notebooks have barely registered on the progress bar.  This is with 10.0.2 so offline notebooks are still broken.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JMG-CH said:

I have been waiting for days for the notebooks with about 7.000 notes in 40 notebooks to be loaded offline on the iPhone – they seem to stuck loading at 20-30 % – on all of my iPhones.

IMG_3777.thumb.jpeg.a69fa8a9ef6de700927e272208c1ff4c.jpegI've always found offline download slow
I recommend using a special notebook for critical notes

Screenshot is my current status
Download complete for  3 notebooks, 0 progress for my primary notebook

Recent response from Evernote Support regarding this issue:

"I've checked with our developers, we are currently aware of this issue. Here is the workaround:

1. Select one notebook at a time in Evernote Settings > Notebooks > Offline notebooks
  2. Open iOS Settings > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > press Never
  3. Plug the iPhone or iPad to a power source
  4. Leave your phone plugged with Evernote open for a few hours
  5. Repeat with more notebooks."

For users with more than a handful of notebooks, it's not really a solution and I don't think new notes are automatically downloaded for offline viewing.

Hopefully, a fix will be implemented sooner rather than later.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, JMG-CH said:

The – for me – very important function of offline notebooks in the new Evernote iPhone iOS app does not seem to work reliably at the moment: I have been waiting for days for the notebooks with about 7.000 notes in 40 notebooks to be loaded offline on the iPhone – they seem to stuck loading at 20-30 % – on all of my iPhones.

I have had a paid Evernote account for many years - I have to be able to rely on the service as my extended knowledge base.

This worked for me (appr. 6.000 notes in appr. 30 notebooks downloaded, iPad Pro 10.5/512):

• Make sure the app is installed well with ver. 10.0.2. Uninstall any prior release, then switch the I-device off, on again, reinstall, log in. Let it sync normally.
  • Go to iPad settings, switch autoscreen-off to never. Connect with a charger (you can do this later as well).
  • Return to the EN app. Go to settings, notebooks and pick a first notebook with little content for a try. Set it to offline. In my case a notebook with 20 notes took only a couple of minutes to download. The grey status bar moved visibly to green.
  • If this worked, select 3-4 more notebooks. Download should start, progress should be visible after a few minutes, but it can take a while.
  • When down to one notebook still loading, you can select a few more. Do NOT go all in, do it in steps.
  • If you have downloaded all content, you can then switch to „All notebooks offline“. It will keep content, and will continue syncing new notes.

Using this method, it took me appr. 2 days to download 18GB offline notes. Maybe part of it is the server, because there are probably many downloads at the moment.

P.S. It is a procedure, but it can be done. It is not needed to do it in one go, can be stopped after the currently downloading notebook has finished.

My offline content is on „All notebooks“ now, and it is downloading new notes as they come. You see it when you are in the notebook that is currently downloading-there is a green bar at the top.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gavin Gough said:

Open iOS Settings > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > press Never

That was the key step, thanks.  I only have three offline notebooks so just doing it one at a time.  One now complete, another half done and I will save the large one for overnight when I plug it in.

• Like 1

I came here to say the same. I switched to the new version a week or so ago. I love the improved speed and am starting to get accustomed to the new interface, but am struggling with downloading the notebooks for iPad and iPhone. I have 19,980 notes, a dozen or stacks and several dozen notebooks. The current database size is 110+ GB. I am unsure when or if both devices will finish synchronizing.

• Level 5*

I posted earlier that my Inbox notebook was fully dowloaded and I was good to go    
Problem - I added one note to the notebook   
Days later I'm still waiting for the download to be updated

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, martyscholes said:

am struggling with downloading the notebooks for iPad and iPhone. I have 19,980 notes, a dozen or stacks and several dozen notebooks. The current database size is 110+ GB. I am unsure when or if both devices will finish synchronizing.

I would suggest rethinking whether you need all 20K worth of notes available offline.  Aside from the current download problem you are eating up a lot of storage on your idevice.  Offline is only needed if you are away from wifi or cellular service.  Many of us manage small offline notebooks for use when we know we will be away from any service.  Maybe not an option for you, but just a thought.  I have in the past set large notebooks to be offline, but in all honesty, it really wasn't needed.

I often travel to regions without internet access. Previously, I could be confident that I'd have access to my notes. That's a pretty basic requirement in a note-taking app.

If the option to download all notebooks exists, I guess it really ought to work reliably.

This thread contains some useful suggestions for how to get around this broken functionality but I don't think well-designed apps demand users find 'workarounds' to access their data.

I've been an Evernote user, supporter and advocate for 12 years. Looking at this iOS release and the desktop Beta, I suspect that's about to change.

• Like 3

Fair point. No full offline sync on iOS 12 or iPadOS 12. Not likely to happen right now, but in the past I've been stymied by being on a long flight and not having a synced copy of a note I need.

• Level 5

... still working fine for me. Downloaded in chunks of notebooks, after all were copied, I switched from „select notebooks“ to „all notebooks“. It is all notebooks since (EN iOS 10.0.2, iOS 14.0.1).

When I add content, and enter this notebook, I get a green bar right on top of the notes list. When I go to settings, I see the same bar beside /under the notebooks name. Both is indicating that a download is outstanding or going on. 

After a while the green bar goes away, and is replaced in the settings list by a little symbol (down arrow in a circle) that indicates a full download. Sometimes it takes 10 or 15min, even for one or two notes. If there are a lot of notes in the notebook, there is no visible progress, because the notes added will be the last pixels of the green bar. This is not visible.

To check I went to flight mode and probed some recent notes. All content including attachments were there and could be opened while offline.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Gavin Gough said:

If the option to download all notebooks exists, I guess it really ought to work reliably.

I agree, no argument from me.  The feature is not working now and it should.  I was only suggesting that we may not all need everything offline, but we all have different needs.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

... still working fine for me. Downloaded in chunks of notebooks, after all were copied, I switched from „select notebooks“ to „all notebooks“. It is all notebooks since (EN iOS 10.0.2, iOS 14.0.1).

When I add content, and enter this notebook, I get a green bar right on top of the notes list. When I go to settings, I see the same bar beside /under the notebooks name. Both is indicating that a download is outstanding or going on. 

After a while the green bar goes away, and is replaced in the settings list by a little symbol (down arrow in a circle) that indicates a full download. Sometimes it takes 10 or 15min, even for one or two notes. If there are a lot of notes in the notebook, there is no visible progress, because the notes added will be the last pixels of the green bar. This is not visible.

To check I went to flight mode and probed some recent notes. All content including attachments were there and could be opened while offline.

Glad it is working for you. It is not for me. V10 is so bad, it's driven me into the forums - I am usually a contented user who just gets on with it. I have to agree with Gavin - I am now (reluctantly) looking at OneNote. 

For goodness sakes, I have ignored ON for the five or so years I've had an MS Office 365 sub, because I'd prefer to pay for Evernote. But I am not here to debug an alpha release. 

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
26 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just to make it transparent: Where was the note added that does not download ? On an iOS device, or on another client, like the Mac ?

On IOS, I added a note to an offline notebook (fully downloaded to my iPad)   
I'm waiting for that one note to download for offline use

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

P.S. My use case are long train rides, There is WiFi on the train, but it depends on the outside mobile networks. It is fine in stretches, but can get weak in other parts (speed falling to a crawl), or even be off without prior notice.

This can create a mess, if syncing is interrupted intermittently.

So I prefer to go to flight mode while the train is moving. In larger stations there is local WiFi, free of charge. I then switch back to mobile or WiFi and get a sync that would take several minutes on the train ride done in a few seconds. 

I think there are many use cases where it is simply unforseeable whether I will need stored content while the internet is bad or gone. If there is an „all notebook“ option I expect it to work. It doesn’t, IMHO because there is no strategy for the initial download: All notebooks start downloading at once, probably creating a lot of competing download strings that simply lead to a crawling progress.

Once the initial download is through (currently by user driven workaround), I found the „download all“ option to work - at least for me.

• Level 5

@DTLow So I suppose the note got synced up to the server, but „did not come back“, so to say.

Maybe a case for a support ticket ? I know, currently Support tickets have a rather long return time.

Maybe they can check if the server „thinks“ that the note is already there, because it came from that source ?

Just as feedback: I have content added from all sort of sources, except my Windows client which I do not use much - all of it synced, all of it downloaded, no problem.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

... still working fine for me. Downloaded in chunks of notebooks

I wouldn't say that it is working but that you are "getting it to work" for you through some coaxing 😎.  I'm not there yet.  I was able to get two of three notebooks downloaded but still have no success with my largest, but only 8K, notebook.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

P.S. My use case are long train rides, There is WiFi on the train, but it depends on the outside mobile networks. It is fine in stretches, but can get weak in other parts (speed falling to a crawl), or even be off without prior notice.

Good point.  I travel by train infrequently but did notice that on a trip to the UK last year.  Offline access for me is usually just when traveling, and that has been offline for a while ...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I would suggest rethinking whether you need all 20K worth of notes available offline.  Aside from the current download problem you are eating up a lot of storage on your idevice.  Offline is only needed if you are away from wifi or cellular service.  Many of us manage small offline notebooks for use when we know we will be away from any service.  Maybe not an option for you, but just a thought.  I have in the past set large notebooks to be offline, but in all honesty, it really wasn't needed.

You are correct. The first six years I used EN I did exactly that: predicting which notebooks I would need when I lacked reliable and fast connectivity. It happened often enough that I was unable to predict what I would need and when I could connect that during my last hardware refresh, I opted to pay the extra $100 or so for additional storage and decided just to keep a local copy on the iPad and iPhone. From that moment forward, I never found myself needing a note that was not downloaded.

That is, until I installed this version.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

First question: Have you erase the app, confirming to delete everything, then switched off the device, waited a little, switched it on again and reinstalled the app.

If you only update the installed app, it may not really clean out all old code, which can lead to continuing problems. Usually this is not an issue, but with all releases below 10.0.2 I would take the precaution to really start anew.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

First question: Have you erase the app, confirming to delete everything, then switched off the device, waited a little, switched it on again and reinstalled the app.

If you only update the installed app, it may not really clean out all old code, which can lead to continuing problems. Usually this is not an issue, but with all releases below 10.0.2 I would take the precaution to really start anew.

It's an interesting question but I wish EN suggested this on install, not after I am 24 hours in and still waiting for my notes to finish syncing for offline. Nevertheless, the sync is glacially slow and I am not traveling anywhere until Wednesday, so here goes.

• Level 5

Maybe yes, but we can help each other meanwhile.

If you read the threads, even with 10.0.2 installed clean, they advise to run it notebook by notebook. I ran it 3-4 notebooks at a time, worked (but no guarantees).

2 Hints: I switched in the settings "auto screen-lock" off, and connected permanently to a charger. Download tends to stop once the app goes to sleep.

To download all, I needed 2 days, 18GB of data.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe yes, but we can help each other meanwhile.

If you read the threads, even with 10.0.2 installed clean, they advise to run it notebook by notebook. I ran it 3-4 notebooks at a time, worked (but no guarantees).

2 Hints: I switched in the settings "auto screen-lock" off, and connected permanently to a charger.

To download all, I needed 2 days, 18GB of data.

That's not something I'm prepared to do! 

On 9/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, HeBoIz said:

The difference to prior updates ist that this release was completely new built on a new code base. This leads to the point that probably all data had to be new organized (and als well reloaded and reconstructed) completely new. In contrast prior updates mostly have just been "updates" which used the same data basis for notes.

That would assume that the whole database structure was changed not just the actual app itself. That being said, a major announcement about this should have been par for the course if not it would show gross negligence on the part of the Evernote company.

• Level 5

Evernote has communicated a lot about their plans. You can always say for you they did not communicate enough, but you can find their videos here, you can go to the blog etc.

There were new features announced, and if for example there are new formatting options, you need to store the data that controls these features. Take the switch for the textmarker from on/off to a color selection: For each markered text EN now needs to save the information about the color in addition to the old on/off information.

From what I understand, the new data structure is compatible to the old one. The server takes care both client „worlds“ get what they need to work. The full set of features will only be available with the new clients. The API interfaces (used by services to move data into or out of EN) are unchanged, this means all services using the API should work as before.

This is a good transition strategy: Who is still on an old client looses nothing, those on the new clients win added functions.

For me as a user the data structure may be of academic interest, it has no relevance at all for me using EN. It was never laid open to me, it is not part of any contract - I pay for working apps, a server that keeps my data and the ability to find my stuff when I need it.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, nesjo said:

That's not something I'm prepared to do! 

Nobody forces you to do it.

Maybe they get things improved that it is not needed any longer in the future. I would be glad if I simply could switch „All notebooks“ to offline, and watch while it sucks the data from the server in not time. 

For those who want their data now, waiting may not be an option.

My offline-marked notebooks are still loading after these two weeks or so. There are about 100 short notes in those in total, maybe some 20 still downloading. And, if I go to notebook settings and disable the offline sync for some notebook, it asks about removing the downloaded content, I say yes remove. Then it enables the offline setting automatically again. So there you go, still waiting for the downloads to complete.

Markku

Also, the offline notebook selection list is sorted reverse alphabetic, so apparently there haven't been application testing for that feature at all, that kind of bugs would have been detected in those for sure.

Markku

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I was finally able to get some of my notebooks to be offline-synced. The process involved killing Evernote several times, and toggling the offline folder settings several times,  both the global settings and the notebook-specific.

Marking a new folder to offline still does not make the few small notes downloaded, so the underlying problem is still there.

Markku

I am starting to convince myself that this is both an issue with iOS and with Evernote server capacity.

A year or so ago, I had an issue that required uninstalling Evernote on the iPad, reinstalling and then downloading. I had expressed concern to EN support that a download would take a while, some 75 GB of data. Support told me it would happen within a few hours. I left the iPad on and the app in the foreground and let it rip. Within three or four hours, it had downloaded everything, sustaining about 100 Mb/s of read rate. Based on that, my current 112 GB database should easily download over night, especially considering that my internet now supports 1 Gb/s of download speed and the wifi can sustain 300 Mb/s to any single client.

Last night I set out my iPad connected to power with EN in the foreground. It ran for about 12 hours. At the start, iOS claimed EN was using about 3 GB of storage. This morning, iOS claims that EN is using 28 GB. I monitored network usage that showed the download rate varied from 0 to 260 Mb/s. Often the connection was idle and at other times it hovered around 10 Mb/s.

From this, I am concluding two things. 1. iOS only really lets EN download effectively when the device is unlocked and EN is in the foreground. 2. EN servers are so overwhelmed right now that they cannot sustain the traffic necessary to provide quick downloads.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, martyscholes said:

Evernote server capacity

I don't see the issue as server capacity
We have full offline data on Windows and Macs    
It does require download time, hours, not days

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

We have full offline data on Windows and Macs    
It does require download time, hours, not days

That is a good point. It’s a shame that iOS EN cannot use my Mac as a cache and simply pull the notes from there. It is powered up on the local network.

46 minutes ago, martyscholes said:

From this, I am concluding two things. 1. iOS only really lets EN download effectively when the device is unlocked and EN is in the foreground. 2. EN servers are so overwhelmed right now that they cannot sustain the traffic necessary to provide quick downloads.

I'm guessing #1.

I've been 'waiting' since Evernote 10.0.x released for 2 notebooks to be available offline.   Decided today (on Evernote 10.0.3)  to leave the device alone and open on Evernote with the offline notebook screen open.  I was actually able to watch the progress bar as my "wallet" notebook downloaded with 206 notes in it.

I have a hunch the problem is definitely  with iOS and its handling of applications. 

I try to download the offline notebooks since the update to EN 10.0 So far unsuccessfully. Out of more than 15,000 notes, maybe 3,000 notes at most are downloaded. And that in over 2 weeks!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, HSM said:

I try to download the offline notebooks since the update to EN 10.0 So far unsuccessfully. Out of more than 15,000 notes, maybe 3,000 notes at most are downloaded. And that in over 2 weeks!

I’m having the same problem.  I have 3 notebooks set for offline.  I’ve been able to download one with 50 notes and another with about 600, but my 7000 note notebook never completely downloads.  I’ve tried all of the tips mentioned.  So far no luck.  Sometimes when I go and check it will show download selected notebooks checked but not show the list of notebooks.  If I wait on the screen to see if the list populates the app will crash.  Definitely some more work needed in this area.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When it got stuck, it is stuck. I had the issue, but before release of 10.0.2. Then it started to work, still took a while.

If you have updated the EN client, maybe this did not overwrite critical code. So if it really is stuck, maybe the best solution is a complete uninstall of the app, code and all data. 

1. Uninstall, then Switch the iPad off, wait a little and switch it on again.
  2. Reinstall the app, log into your Account. Wait until it has downloaded all the metadata and previews.
  3. Go to the iPad settings, screen, and Turn autoscreen-off to „never“. This will stop the app to be closed by iOS. Since it takes a while, put the iPad to a charger to keep the battery alive while the screen is permanently lit. Maybe turn down brightness.
  4. Then go to the EN app, open settings, notebooks, and select „download some offline notebooks“ (NOT all). Select just one notebook, and let it download. When this has run through, select the next one. In my case, it worked with up to 3 notebooks at a time, from 4 on it slowed, and got stuck.

After you have downloaded everything (if you want to do so), you can switch to „all notebooks offline“. Select „keep data“ to make sure your offline data stay on the iPad. My offline notebooks are on „all“ since I finished the initial download one by one, and they are syncing whenever I make a change.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

So if it really is stuck, maybe the best solution is a complete uninstall of the app, code and all data. 

1. Uninstall, then Switch the iPad off, wait a little and switch it on again.
  2. Reinstall the app, log into your Account. Wait until it has downloaded all the metadata and previews.
  3. Go to the iPad settings, screen, and Turn autoscreen-off to „never“. This will stop the app to be closed by iOS. Since it takes a while, put the iPad to a charger to keep the battery alive while the screen is permanently lit. Maybe turn down brightness.
  4. Then go to the EN app, open settings, notebooks, and select „download some offline notebooks“ (NOT all). Select just one notebook, and let it download. When this has run through, select the next one. In my case, it worked with up to 3 notebooks at a time, from 4 on it slowed, and got stuck.

Thanks.  I've done the uninstall/install dance a few times now.  Each time I can get the two smaller notebooks downloaded but it chokes on the last (largest) one.  I'll give it another go when the next version is posted.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@s2sailor Just out of curiosity: How large is your largest notebook ?

In my case my largest one has nearly 1.000 notes, many of them with PDFs as attachments. Took some hours to load.

If offline is necessary, maybe split it up (preferably on a desktop client) and load it one by one.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, HSM said:

Despite the fact that I did a lot with EN today, the download status of the offline notebooks is exactly the same as 24 hours ago. There is NO download at all! Why??

It's broke and they are trying to fix it is the best I've heard.

My offline downloads are going backwards. Previously, Evernote was consuming 4.8 GB of storage. Today, EN is consuming 3.0 GB of storage. All notebooks are offline, pretending to download.

I have 383 GB of free space on my iPad, so free space clearly is not the problem.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, HSM said:

It’s a disaster. Download offline notes / notebooks doesn’t work. Absolutely no progress  since over one week!

I've had downloads stall out and the only way I can get them started again is to delete the app and reload.  Of course that requires you to start the offline downloading from square one.  I can get smaller notebooks to download but still not my main one at 7000 notes.  At about 1/3 the way through the app closes and even if I restart it has trouble keeping the download screen open without the app exiting.  I've tried this a few times now.  I'll wait for 10.0.5 before trying again.

On 10/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, HSM said:

It’s a disaster. Download offline notes / notebooks doesn’t work. Absolutely no progress  since over one week!

I agree...this is not a good look for Evernote.

I am currently using the Microsoft - to - Evernote importer tool...going to give One Note a try over the weekend and see how it works.  Import has been (thus far) absolutely seamless - an adjective that this most recent version of Evernote must have forgot during the planning sessions!

Also excited to not have to use alternate app integration (penultimate) to be able to utilize the Apple Pencil on the iPad...OneNote is said to allow this natively.  We shall see...

On 9/19/2020 at 5:17 PM, CalS said:

This is what I do when I travel out of the country. (Back when I used to do that). 

1 hour ago, Kyle McMillan said:

I agree...this is not a good look for Evernote.

I am currently using the Microsoft - to - Evernote importer tool...going to give One Note a try over the weekend and see how it works.  Import has been (thus far) absolutely seamless - an adjective that this most recent version of Evernote must have forgot during the planning sessions!

Also excited to not have to use alternate app integration (penultimate) to be able to utilize the Apple Pencil on the iPad...OneNote is said to allow this natively.  We shall see...

I wanted to like OneNote; there was a lot to like about it. Give syncing some serious work  before you dive too deep. The relationship between OneNote and OneDrive, the desktop, web, and mobile versions was sketchy for me. 

It finally worked for me. Get 10.0.4 after completely uninstalling, hard restart of iOS device, download from App Store and leave Evernote open, device connected to power, maximum settings on auto lock. If it stops, force close and try again. Be patient.

5 hours ago, nesjo said:

It finally worked for me. Get 10.0.4 after completely uninstalling, hard restart of iOS device, download from App Store and leave Evernote open, device connected to power, maximum settings on auto lock. If it stops, force close and try again. Be patient.

I truly hope this is not the solution.

• Level 5

You may post another solution, if you find any.

Personally I doubt you will find it. The issue is more related to iOS than EN. iOS stops most background activities of Apps a few minutes after they were pushed into the background. This stops the download of offline content as well.

To avoid this, the app needs to stay active: Disable autoscreen-off in the iOS settings, open EN, leave it in the foreground as active app. Now because the screen stays on, EN keeps downloading. Because the active screen will put a drain on your battery, plug it into a Charger.

Nothing wrong with this - other apps would do the same if you try to download several GB of data. After the initial download it keeps up with offline content while just using the app.

Exactly. I had ZERO issues syncing notes on the last version. The idea that it is an iOS issue is inaccurate at best. I did not update iOS, just Evernote. That is why many are asking Evernote to listen to their user base and put back out the previous version that actually worked. This is not a good look for EN - especially as many of us (myself included) are premium users, and paying for a non-working product is a no go. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Which iOS version are you running ?

The different handling of background activity came with iOS 13, more than 1 year ago. So if you are still on iOS 12, you probably do not have it yet. Instead you have a number of unfixed security issues, unless you run on old hardware that gets some fixes on the iOS 12 or prior versions. AFAIK there is no way for a device that can run a higher iOS release to just update the small fixes.

In general ver. 10 is FAR from what we expected. On my list of priorities, improvements on offline downloads are pretty far down the list. There is much more that needs to be fixed ...

Priorities differ from person to person and workflow to workflow.
But you are right: there's a lot that needs to be fixed.
It's incomprehensible that Evernote released such incomplete/buggy versions on all platforms.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Tried this already:

Switch off offline status for the notebook. In the following dialogue, select the keep-data-option.

Leave settings, close app, open again, switch notebook back to offline.

It starts with a grey download bar, but this usually changes fast, because the client compares with data already downloaded. After this, the final download takes place.

At least this helped me when offline content download got stuck.

@PinkElephant my iPad Pro is running iOS 13.x - and, as I have previously stated, I had NONE of these problems with the past update.  These issues are not related to my devices/workflows, they are related to Evernotes pathetic 10.x update that has broken the app and ecosystem in a big way.

Offline notebooks are still not finishing their download...and so many more issues.

Evernote - PLEASE (even if you have to do it under the guise of an “update”) RE-RELEASE THE PREVIOUS VERSION OF THE iOS APP!!!

• Like 1

How do i download notes for offline use.

I have tried different. methods and keep restarting phone and app, I have tried syncing one notebook at a time and some have succesfully downloaded , however some just sit for hours and days and nothing downloads, even a notebook with 1 note.

Does offline notebooks work or not?

• Level 5*

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum,  so under-the-hood issues are outside our brief.  As a subscriber you should be able to contact Support to check whether there's an issue with downloads.  It always takes some time,  and just after the update to v10 it may be taking a lot longer to catch up.  There seems to be a 50-note limit in place on most things - are you wanting to download more than that?  Do you have the storage space on your device for that volume?

Hi, 

Contacted support but nothing back yet, I was curious to see here what people are finding with theirs. Ive been with Evernote since Sept 2008, and have just over 20,000 notes, sad that some features have been taken away that I use, but I can work around that, and have defended Evernote the past couple of years when many forums get the Notion debate as it just doesnt work for me at all. Also seems like many others, reports I put in on the Beta testing seemed to be ignored and the release came out with many of the faults I found during beta testing. It appears we are all now beta testers, and of course I can try starting again and using workarounds as I'm doing with other things the new releases have messed up. But offline notes is something I want and need across everything, Not to go through my notes and pick and choose which I will sync , if that would even work. It still shows the 1 note as not synced in my !readitlater notebook that I have opened and read on the phone, but still shows as not sync'd.

Reading much of the forums I have tried the single notebook downloading, removing and starting again etc. However , kept away from Notebooks with over about 200 notes in them and was left with just a handful of notebooks to sync (about 70 in total) which had as little 22 and others with betwen 2000 and 6000 notes in them. The 50 note limit doesnt't seem to restrict this, I have about 70 notebooks and what has downloaded is over 50 notebooks, with mainly small amount of notes in them, though ranges from a few notes to a few hundred notes, and at one point got to half way on a 6000 note notebook.

its now just stopped syncing, I have one notebook with 1 note in it, and hasn't moved for over a week now. The phone still has over 150GB available, so not that.

I can see that there may have been an issue at first with amount of people, but something is not right and failing to find a way to keep it syncing. 

My Issue is like many things with the current updates, if it doesn't work now, fair enough , I can live with that for a short time, but when we are told it does work and put trust in Evernote to wait and nothing is changing is not acceptable.

Disapointing as it looks as though I will have to start again to just get it to move , but obviously dont want to keep going back to the start without giving a fair bit of time , though over a week left alone and even plugged in with screen unlocked all night and evernote open hasn't progressed it.

On 10/29/2020 at 8:55 AM, martyscholes said:

I have opened support request 3193679 to address this issue, asking for guidance on how to download offline notebooks. I will post the resolution to this thread.

This is an update after the support request. I was told to download 10.1 and try it, so I did. I did not see any change. Instead, I switched all notebooks not to download, then one by one flipped them to download. The process took several days on the iPad and iPhone, but the iPad claims to have completed and the iPhone is almost done.

I noticed that even though the 110 GB database is completely downloaded, the Settings app under General -> Storage claims that Evernote is using 1.18 GB. Clearly, monitoring this number is not indicative of download progress. I think that with many notebooks, it is difficult to monitor progress. Downloading one at a time let me see that it was actually making headway. It was still slow.

I have 208 notebooks and 20,126 notes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

since my offline downloads didn't complete over the last week I turned off download for all notebooks this morning - funny part: it was not that easy, because the on / off button always flipped back to ON after switching to OFF - nice small early morning game "how often do you have to turn it OFF until the switch keep it's position in OFF"? 🙂

Now, I've started to download all my notebooks, one after the other, and it seems to work now.

@martyscholesgood hint about usage in storage settings - I'll check this after all notebooks have been downloaded.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Yes, these switches seem to live their own life.

What I observed: I flip them off, the dialogue box shows to keep or dump downloaded content, and after selecting this, it flips back ON again. Oh what a **** mess - but wait: Leave it alone, for several seconds (my longest wait was nearly 20sec for a single notebook). Then it switches itself off again.

Maybe EN is moving ahead to be a meditation tool: Switch off - decide - find your inner center - Ooooooooohm - OFF !

• Haha 1
On 10/19/2020 at 2:34 AM, martyscholes said:

I truly hope this is not the solution.

It is not. I'm back with a new support ticket because it didn't sync. On the verge of leaving Evernote now! But moving to OneNote isn't very appealing ... 

• Level 5

Just downloading ... "all notebooks" got stalled, loading all side by side somehow did not go through. After a day I had a lot of 1/4, 1/2 or even 3/4 downloaded notebooks, but no one ever finished - not even the tiny ones, with only a few notes.

Then I did it one by one, which takes a lot of attention, but at least it works.

What I do not understand is why "All notebooks" can't simply mimic what everybody needs to do to get it done: Run it one after the other.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, stocky2605 said:

since my offline downloads didn't complete over the last week I turned off download for all notebooks this morning - funny part: it was not that easy, because the on / off button always flipped back to ON after switching to OFF - nice small early morning game "how often do you have to turn it OFF until the switch keep it's position in OFF"? 🙂

Now, I've started to download all my notebooks, one after the other, and it seems to work now.

@martyscholesgood hint about usage in storage settings - I'll check this after all notebooks have been downloaded.

after all notebooks were downloaded (to be more specific: the green status bars completed) I'm back at those 1/2, 3/4, 1/5 bars on different notebooks. Ha, my _Inbox notebook has three notes (246 kB, 29 kB, 121 Byte) - waiting for completion since hours, even after re-starting the App.

after the first completion (all green bars gone) I saw the following:
iPad (EN 10.1) shows 724 MB of storage for Evernote.app, while iPhone (EN 8.24.6) shows 5,7 GB of storage (using iOS Preferences -> General -> Device Memory) - of course, both same config regarding offline notebooks - I do have only 6 Notebooks, no issue at all to be sure same config...

no comment.

• Level 5*

I have one notebook with 7000 notes that has yet to download completely no matter what I do.  Two other, much smaller notebooks have completed initially but then when I add notes or move some around they change to partial download status, and then never complete.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So I have a notebook containing approximately 10k notes.  This morning marks the 6th time I have seen Evernote v10.1 (1107121) go through this irritating and useless pattern of behavior.  

This app seems to prove the axiom of "New and Improved means just 'new'." 

This experience feels like going from version 1.5 to version 0.74...

I was trying to like the new UI, I really was.  But then this?  I frequently use my Evernote content offline, and as such, the app - and service - are becoming almost worthless.

Is there any clarity as to when Evernote might try to fix this?  The old version had it's quirks, but was dependable and functioned properly.   What the hell has happened to Evernote?

Edited by southernforge
Add one additional thought re: version