[Fixed in Version 10.3] Offline Notebooks take a long time/too long to download

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

29 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

We are all unhappy. 

What exactly is your issue with the offline notebooks on the iOS client ?

Good Morning, @PinkElephant.

I have a notebook that contains approximately 10,400 notes, and when I choose to make it available offline, the process never, ever completes.  In the most recent iteration, the 'make available offline' process had just stopped sometime overnight.  This has happened every night since last Friday.  In several instances, on starting the app, this notebook shows as being not at all offline, even though the 'make available offline' option is greyed out.  And no matter how long the app remains open (30 minutes at a time, so far), the download option never resumes. 

I hope I cleared that up a little?

• Level 5

From my experience with larger notebooks (none in the 14K-category) the forced-download approach is this:

• In iOS settings, display, put Autolock-screen to never
  • In EN v10 settings put the notebook to offline (only the one you want, not several, not „all“)
  • Let the EN app in the foreground, connect the iPhone/iPad to a charger. Via control center maybe dim the screen brightness down.

Background loading of all notebooks may be o.k. once the initial download is done. For the first download, it is one by one, and with the app kept active. 14k of notes will take more than hours, probably 2-3 days from my experience with lesser notebook volumes.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 3:37 PM, s2sailor said:

I have one notebook with 7000 notes that has yet to download completely no matter what I do.  Two other, much smaller notebooks have completed initially but then when I add notes or move some around they change to partial download status, and then never complete.

Same here when I add or change a note, the green status bar never changes to fully downloaded status.

A notebook of mine that's stuck like this only has 2 notes in it & each note has one line of text, so it doesn't seem to have anything to do with file size, as I would expect.

Strange as release notes for 10.1 say it's been fixed:

IMG_1126.PNG

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
8 minutes ago, anirog said:

Strange as release notes for 10.1 say it's been fixed

I think it is partially fixed. It does download in the background now.  Before you had to leave the display on all the time to get anything downloaded.  Incomplete downloading of large notebooks and downloads updating after there have changes is still broken.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Incomplete downloading of large notebooks and downloads updating after there have changes is still broken.

Have you tried anything as a workaround for incomplete updating after changes?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, anirog said:

Have you tried anything as a workaround for incomplete updating after changes?

Mainly just waiting to see if it will eventually catch up or gets fixed.  The slider for selecting notebooks sometimes doesn't stick or changes, and sometimes the download progress indicator doesn't show.  Also, just now, one notebook with two notes showed as incomplete.  I changed it to do not download, but keep the data and then I set it back to download and now it shows both notes as downloaded, so the download status indicator is not working correctly or consistenly either.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I changed it to do not download, but keep the date and then I set it back to download and now it shows both notes as downloaded

Yes that works for me as well, thanks.

Bit painful to do on notebooks with more than a few notes as it takes a really long time to finish.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Mainly just waiting to see if it will eventually catch up or gets fixed.  The slider for selecting notebooks sometimes doesn't stick or changes, and sometimes the download progress indicator doesn't show.  Also, just now, one notebook with two notes showed as incomplete.  I changed it to do not download, but keep the data and then I set it back to download and now it shows both notes as downloaded, so the download status indicator is not working correctly or consistenly either.

The slider seems to live a rebellious life: You switch it off, then say "keep" the data in the following box. 

And the slider slips back to "on".

But patience: If you wait (I needed to wait a few seconds for small notebooks, but more than 20sec for a 1.000 note-book) it will slide itself "OFF" again. I think it reorganizes the data to be kept, and then auto slides to OFF.

No need to tickle it while this is running in the background, this just sends everything back to the start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

But patience: If you wait (I needed to wait a few seconds for small notebooks, but more than 20sec for a 1.000 note-book) it will slide itself "OFF" again. I think it reorganizes the data to be kept, and then auto slides to OFF.

Thanks, I see the same behavior.  The explanation makes sense, but they need to improve the slider code.  This behavior will be (is) very confusing to users.  On one large folder of about 7000 notes it took a couple of minutes before the slider would turn OFF.

• Like 2

Would like to clarify:

After you have downloaded all notebooks for offline use then make a change, notebooks get stuck downloading, a workaround is to toggle the slider next to the notebook to off....... wait.......then toggle to on and the download completes in the background.

Is that right?

• Level 5

In general yes, although I prefer to leave the app and close it when I set the slider switch to off, and it made this little off-on-off dance. Then I restart the EN app, go to settings, notebooks, offline and switch the offline download switch on again, always for a single notebook at a time.

It usually downloads like this, if there was data kept when switching off: First not much for a little while, then the green bar moves ahead relatively fast, and for the last part (where is no prior data) it goes on more slowly.

The only reason I tolerate this procedure because (for me) it works ...

Hope they get it further improved in a new release, somewhere down the road.

• Like 1

Hi All, have you all checked how much Storage the Evernote.app is using on your device after/while downloading offline notebooks? (using iOS Settings -> General -> Device Memory (not sure how this item is named in English))

I‘m still at less than 800 MB (not growing anymore), while the legacy App on my iPhone is using almost 6 GB.

I turned on flight mode to see if I run in any trouble to open different notes - not yet strangely - but sure sometime, I‘ll play around today in flight mode...

• Level 5

Same with me - appr. 700MB for the EN app, of this 500MB for data. This is way too little, I was above 10GB with the prior version.

What I observe: The „System“ storage on my iPad went up a lot, takes more than 20GB now. This is not specified, used for caches and other system use. This is the only place where a lot of downloaded stuff may reside.

A few tests in flight mode revealed nothing - all notes could be opened, all attachments were there and could be opened. There was no obvious compression of files. It was no problem to open the closed app in flight mode, no internet connection needed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Hi All,

I have seen users report issues with their offline notebooks taking too long to download.

This is an issue we're aware of and are working to address.

In the meantime, here are some suggestions for achieving best results downloading offline notebooks until the issue has been resolved:

1. Select one notebook at a time in Evernote Settings > Notebooks > Offline notebooks

2. Open iOS Settings > Display and Brightness > Auto-Lock > press Never

3. Plug the iPhone or iPad to a power source

4. Leave your phone plugged with Evernote open for a few hours (Time varies and depends on the size/content of the offline notebook)

5. Repeat with more notebooks

Please let us know on this thread if you encounter this issue, and I'll be following up here once I have updated information

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks for following up @Shane D.

My small notebooks (<100 notes) downloaded without a problem   IMG_3816.thumb.jpeg.d6dcf143fc7be09048033fbc9e191a44.jpeg

My large notebook (13k+ notes) might take more than a few hours 🙂

Problem: 1 new note in my offline @Inbox notebook
                  The download seems stuck 

edit           The switch for my large notebook keeps flipping off

edit           The progress bar for my large notebook has disappeared
                  The switch is still on

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Please let us know on this thread if you encounter this issue, and I'll be following up here once I have updated information

I have one notebook with 7000 notes that has never downloaded in full even with the steps above.  The largest notebook successfully downloaded is 700 notes.  The other issue I've seen is that even after fully downloading, if a change occurs to that notebook, the notebook status changes to imcomplete, as it should, but never shows complete again.  I'm not sure if the download update gets stuck or if the problem is with the progress indicator not updating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I have one notebook with 7000 notes that has never downloaded in full even with the steps above.  The largest notebook successfully downloaded is 700 notes.  The other issued I've seen is that even after fully downloading, if a change occurs to that notebook, the notebook status changes to imcomplete, as it should, but never shows complete again.  I'm not sure if the download update gets stuck or if the problem is with the progress indicator not updating.

+1

exactly the same for me

• Thanks 1

I have 8000 docs in my noteboks. 
try to move the notebooks who have started to be downloading from the list if download. It would not change from green to gray, so this is not a solution on my iPad Mini v2 iOS  14.1, Evernote version 10.1

I'm so tired of feeling like every major update to Evernote on iOS comes with really annoying issues that last for months.  

I have notebooks of 21, 23, and 56 notes that refuse to fully download and sync after an extended period.

A week or two ago, I left both my iPad and my iPhone on all night.  Everything synced.  Now, notebooks are unsynced again.  And, I'm getting frequent duplicate notes.

I've been with Evernote since 2010, and it feels like the iOS versions have been going downhill since 7.18.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Ron V said:

I'm so tired of feeling like every major update to Evernote on iOS comes with really annoying issues that last for months.  

I have notebooks of 21, 23, and 56 notes that refuse to fully download and sync after an extended period.

A week or two ago, I left both my iPad and my iPhone on all night.  Everything synced.  Now, notebooks are unsynced again.  And, I'm getting frequent duplicate notes.

I've been with Evernote since 2010, and it feels like the iOS versions have been going downhill since 7.18.

I updated on my phone before I realized what a cluster it was, as most of us I suppose.  Did not update on my iPad thankfully. 

<sarcasm>  I find the phone is fine lookup tool now.  As long as I don't try to download anything or edit anything or clip anything it seems to be fine.  </sarcasm>

The add back of sorting notes was a very positive move in the right direction.  Hopefully more of the same to follow.  🤞

• Shane D. changed the title to [Version 10.1] Offline Notebooks do not download correctly/takes too long

@ShaneD tried your workaround on iPad (turning off screen auto-lock), and then began moving about 75 offline notebooks one by one to not be offline. On at least half, if not more, when moving the slider to "offline off" it reverts back to being online. I move slider to off, press "Clear", and the notebook slider automatically moves back to the right. This is true in just about every case where the forever-long download is in some form of progress.

Do you have any idea when this issue will be resolved? It's made the iOS versions of Evernote, which people are paying for, completely useless for close to two months now.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The slider has its own life.

I discovered that after sliding it to OFF and selecting Keep or Dump, it revers to ON. Then you need to wait, depending on the size of the notebook between a few and up to 30sec (maybe even more, my max notebook has appr. 1.000 notes).

Then (after it probably did internally what it needed to do) it slides by itself to OFF, and stays there.

Switching it OFF, OFF, OFFFFFF probably does no good, only can lead to reset the internal process again and again.

For me this is a bug in the user interface of this function, hopefully solved with a future release.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

depending on the size of the notebook between a few and up to 30sec (maybe even more, my max notebook has appr. 1.000 notes).

On a notebook size of 7000, it look over 2 minutes before the slider switched itself to off.

• Thanks 2

I keep several notebooks offline, as I often need access to content, but do not always have access to wifi or hotspot connectivity, and have done this for several years, with no problems. 

As the Evernote for iOS app matured, so did my reliance on it, and happiness with it.  Until ver 10.x.

We all know what a disaster ver 10 has been, but only tonight did it occur to me to document what I was seeing, to put some level of objectivity to what I have been experiencing.  

My biggest offline notebook contains between 10k and 11k notes, but that generally was not a bottleneck.

But the ver 10.x white elephant in the room has a different, and much lower standard, of functionality.  I took a screenshot at 11:17pm, with the green download progress bar not visible for the "Reference/Not Urgent" notebook.  As soon as the green download progress bar appeared (11:24pm), I took another screenshot.  7 minutes.  

Never - ever - did any of the older versions perform at this godawful, abysmal speed. 

The best part?  I didn't think to document this until 10 minutes after I had  launched the app and waited for the green bar to show up.

17 minutes!  Please Evernote, @Shane D., can you explain how this is considered acceptable?

919E23B0-6AB5-4A15-B1F0-4A6558572455.png

4C0A99A9-ADEE-4937-8D07-AE4F55DF7684.png

• Like 1
1 hour ago, southernforge said:

I keep several notebooks offline, as I often need access to content, but do not always have access to wifi or hotspot connectivity, and have done this for several years, with no problems. 

As the Evernote for iOS app matured, so did my reliance on it, and happiness with it.  Until ver 10.x.

We all know what a disaster ver 10 has been, but only tonight did it occur to me to document what I was seeing, to put some level of objectivity to what I have been experiencing.  

My biggest offline notebook contains between 10k and 11k notes, but that generally was not a bottleneck.

But the ver 10.x white elephant in the room has a different, and much lower standard, of functionality.  I took a screenshot at 11:17pm, with the green download progress bar not visible for the "Reference/Not Urgent" notebook.  As soon as the green download progress bar appeared (11:24pm), I took another screenshot.  7 minutes.  

Never - ever - did any of the older versions perform at this godawful, abysmal speed. 

The best part?  I didn't think to document this until 10 minutes after I had  launched the app and waited for the green bar to show up.

17 minutes!  Please Evernote, @Shane D., can you explain how this is considered acceptable?

919E23B0-6AB5-4A15-B1F0-4A6558572455.png

4C0A99A9-ADEE-4937-8D07-AE4F55DF7684.png

did it finish? I‘ve a small notebook, 4 notes, total approx. 500 kB data, doesn‘t finish while App is running in foreground ever...

• Level 5

With me it finishes, but it seems it does not start downloading by itself. I need to take it OFF and back ON to motivate a fresh download.

However my impression is it does not always stall - have not found a pattern yet.

Conclusion: If going offline and really need that new stuff added, better make sure to take a look, early enough to intervene. Which makes the offline function with iOS currently unreliable.

@Shane D. Making sure new stuff is added / download stalled to me seems to be another issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

did it finish? I‘ve a small notebook, 4 notes, total approx. 500 kB data, doesn‘t finish while App is running in foreground ever...

Unfortunately, no.  The progress bar is closer to the end on the right-hand side of the app.  Maybe today...

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

With me it finishes, but it seems it does not start downloading by itself. I need to take it OFF and back ON to motivate a fresh download.

However my impression is it does not always stall - have not found a pattern yet.

Conclusion: If going offline and really need that new stuff added, better make sure to take a look, early enough to intervene. Which makes the offline function with iOS currently unreliable.

@Shane D. Making sure new stuff is added / download stalled to me seems to be another issue.

Agree. I have been waiting for days for my notebooks to download - still not finished. (about 10 notebooks, 4k notes in total)

Turned off (kept date) and turned back on several times, still non of my notebooks are fully downloaded. IMG_6069.thumb.PNG.845d257dc924bd41f8d55de7422774d7.PNGIMG_6070.thumb.PNG.f63be459719309b8e695814ef03a2446.PNGIMG_6072.thumb.PNG.ab0cb55142837b6cbeab4f3af8571f38.PNG
This is very annoying. Offline notebooks is a key feature for me. If I would have known this issue I would not have updated to V10 !!

• Level 5

Don’t try to download all at once. Do it one by one, wait until one has finished before starting the next.

You may try 2 or 3 at a time - when I tried, everything above 3 at a time led to a crawl.

Turn the others off. The slider has its own life: After switching off and selecting to keep/dump the data, it autoswitches on again. Now do nothing, just wait. After several seconds (up to 30 sec on a notebook with 1.000 notes) it switches OFF again.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t try to download all at once. Do it one by one, wait until one has finished before starting the next.

You may try 2 or 3 at a time - when I tried, everything above 3 at a time led to a crawl.

Turn the others off. The slider has its own life: After switching off and selecting to keep/dump the data, it autoswitches on again. Now do nothing, just wait. After several seconds (up to 30 sec on a notebook with 1.000 notes) it switches OFF again.

@PinkElephant, those are good points,  but to my way of thinking, these types of  discussions are best had - and addressed -  during beta testing, not accompanying a production rollout that is supposed to (presumably) make the application more user-friendly.

• Like 2

I tried the flight mode trick. My notes are unavailable. All offline notebooks indicators have been at 10-20% of download since this update came out. I watch them online, and they do not move! This is terrible. Awful. This new version is as bad as the v10 desktop. Evernote goes down the drain. Is there a Legacy for iOS? Thanks. 

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, cld said:

Agree. I have been waiting for days for my notebooks to download - still not finished. (about 10 notebooks, 4k notes in total)

Turned off (kept date) and turned back on several times, still non of my notebooks are fully downloaded. IMG_6069.thumb.PNG.845d257dc924bd41f8d55de7422774d7.PNGIMG_6070.thumb.PNG.f63be459719309b8e695814ef03a2446.PNGIMG_6072.thumb.PNG.ab0cb55142837b6cbeab4f3af8571f38.PNG
This is very annoying. Offline notebooks is a key feature for me. If I would have known this issue I would not have updated to V10 !!

and once all notebooks have been downloaded a single byte of change in one of these brings it back, that stalled green download bar 😤

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for the hint, indeed, after turning off all offlines and turning on only one back and waiting for about 12 hrs (!!!) one notebook after notebook seems to get back into offline storage (with only about 500 notes per notebook, mostly text only !!)

As southerforge indicated: NOT nice at ALL !!
Especially, since I needed to make a list which notebooks I had selected to be offline .... (which I forgot to do before I switched all off ....)

I edited this post to remove unhelpful editorializing I posted earlier this morning, but left the factual content.e

So, in Evernote I have a notebook named  "Reference/Not Urgent" and have set the notebook to be available offline.

Started the app at 8:49am.  No download progress bar.

As of 9:14am, no progress bar.

As of 9:18am, finally a download progress bar.

6B01DE67-4112-4C00-998F-947156FEB2BC.png

B5D58EB0-67F4-44E3-AD65-D06E469AB97F.png

426B9761-411B-4E68-A5F1-D6357A0A55C6.png

Edited by southernforge
Remove editorializing

When.are.the.non-existent.offline.notebook.sync.issues.going.to.be.fixed??? Can we get an update even? This is SOOOO frustrating, neither my iPhone or iPad will download a notebook for offline use. Ridiculous. I will cancel my subscription if this isn't fixed soon because you're taking my money and only making your software worse with each update.

I honestly can't believe that your CEO has the balls to film these marketing videos, and send out these marketing emails, when you well know that your new iOS upgrade is complete trash. Fix it already, and stop with the marketing until your product actually works.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For me it worked, max note count was appr. 1.000.

My problem is it does not automatically start to add new notes, even if the notebooks are set to "download", either "all" or individually. So the offline content does not stay updated, as you add new content. It is practically not possible to do this manually, because you need to take each notebook to "no download", and switch it back to "Download" again. No way to handle this, not on a daily basis, and for sure not before leaving into an offline situation where you want your stuff up to date.

This problem was confirmed by support on my ticket, EN is still working on a fix. With 10.1 the issue is not yet settled.

When looking at the list of notebooks on iOS, I see some notebooks that have a grey line under them and some of the grey lines are overlaid with green lines of variable length and some notebooks don’t have any line under them at all. I can’t see any rhyme or reason for them. The length of the green lines doesn’t appear to change over time. I can successfully view all notes no matter if their notebooks have no line, just a grey line or a grey line with a shorter green line on top. Just curious as maybe I should be doing something about them.

• Level 5*

Thes 

3 minutes ago, Polgs said:

I see some notebooks that have a grey line under them and some of the grey lines are overlaid with green lines of variable length and some notebooks don’t have any line under them at all.

These are notebooks specified for offline download    
The lines indicate the download progress

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, lionsbaywray said:

Is there any update on this? I went through the recommended process of downloading one notebook at a time but, since completing that, I have now added new notes and they are not showing as downloading/syncing properly

None yet that I’ve seen.  I’m eagerly awaiting the next iOS update.  Offline notebooks are not functional until this is fixed.

• Like 3

I have a Notebook with two notes. EN is not able to download this for offline use.

5000 characters and 800 characters. When I oben the first and then the second I have them on the device. Why on earth are they not offline available?

Evernote hat Flasche leer!

On 11/22/2020 at 11:37 PM, DTLow said:

Thes 

These are notebooks specified for offline download    
The lines indicate the download progress

Thanks, DTLow. That’s what I thought it might be.

However, I have set that I want all notebooks downloaded for offline viewing so I would expect that the green lines would grow to full length as the notes were downloaded. Some notebooks have completely downloaded, some have green lines at varying lengths and some haven’t even started the download process. It has been this way for months - hence my question; I wasn't sure that the green lines did actually mean download progress.

I thought I’d start with a fresh system to see what would happen. I deleted Evernote from the iPad, then reinstalled from the App Store. I made sure that it was set for download all notebooks and watched what happened next.

As expected, all notebooks, that had notes in them, had a grey line under them and then green lines started to grow on some of them as notes were downloaded. However, an hour or two later, the green lines stopped growing and over a day later they still haven’t changed and seem to have frozen. So, I assume that the download process has stalled. I stopped and restarted Evernote, but no change.

I noticed another interesting thing. I chose a notebook that had only two notes in it and the green line was half way across the grey line so maybe that means that only one of the two notes has downloaded. To check this, I disconnected from the internet and tried to open the two notes and, as expected, only one of them opened and the other said ‘Note unavailable’. Then, I reconnected to the internet, opened the note that was unavailable and I could view it normally. Maybe this was because it had just downloaded. To check this, I again disconnected from the internet and I could view the previously unavailable note — so that note had, in fact, downloaded. This is all as expected.

However, when I view the status of that particular notebook, it still shows it with the green line only half way across the grey line, as it was before I manually downloaded it. That screen has not refreshed since the note was downloaded. This might not be a big issue, but I now don’t know how much of my Evernote library has downloaded. I’m not confident that I can go on my next trip away from internet coverage and still have access to all of my notes.

• Like 1

It boggles the mind that a major update could so seriously compromise formerly useful software. Fortunately I have "only" 2,200 notes that are, however, taking hours to download. Did the coders never test to make sure basic functionality, for which users pay a significant fee every month, was working? 

I I have this situation too, and what I have noticed is when all the “off-line notes” are backed up, if you change one note in a folder or add a note, the off-line notebook never seems to update (at least by way of the progress bar).

However, as a test, I created a note When my iPhone was in airplane mode with Wi-Fi shut off, I could still view that note in this off-line mode.

So is there really a problem or is it just in the display of the progress bars uploading the off-line notes?

Edited by Wayne Robinson
Typos

We are now well over a month since this was reported and still no fix. I find it incredibly disturbing how long everything seems to take at EN. This update was a full 2 years in the making and there are multiple pieces that need fixing including this one. 

To Wayne Robinson's post above: 

The status bar on downloading my 2,200 notes never did complete. I can view some notes offline, others are "not available." Notes edited on phone don't reliably propagate to laptop, and vice versa. So I don't think this is just a user-interface issue. There seems to be a major structural problem. Per lionsbaywray above, this is "incredibly disturbing."

After messing around with this a little more... Per the attachment, status bar looks as if the notebook is still trying to download. However, spot checking notes new and old for offline availability, it appears sync is complete. Evernote on laptop (MacOS) and app on iPhone agree there are 2032 notes, and edits on one propagate to the other. Changes get pushed to the phone, but sometimes the computer app needs to be reminded to pick up the changes. 

Viewing my main notebook on the phone, I clicked on the three dots at upper right of screen. And was surprised to see the "Available offline" option not selected. I selected it, after which it greyed out. This was odd, because I had already launched the offline option from the Settings menu, and the notes had already downloaded. 

So maybe there is a user interface issue. 

notebook_status.jpg

• Level 5*

Using 10.2 I’m not seeing any improvement in the behavior described in this thread. Slow downloads, incomplete downloads for large notebooks, and stuck updates on notebooks that had completely downloaded.

• Thanks 1

Although Evernote looks like it downloading offline notes, it doesn't do it completely. I have tested with 3 notebooks. After the download VERY SLOWLY completes, and going into airplane mode, many notes don't open. The only notes that do open appear to be notes I have previously opened on that phone. In other words, my testing shows that offline mode is not true offline mode.

• Thanks 1

I hope the situation will be addressed soon(tm) as on the iPad this is a crucial feature for me. I am also "stuck":
- cannot turn off offline downloads: switch jumps back to ON, even after a longer wait
- notebooks are incompleted / or never fully downloaded
- "playing" around with the "offline" settings don't seem to have a effect

On 11/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  How much storage does your notebook take up?  Do you have that much space on your 'phone?

hi, @gazumped, good morning.  I regret not replying sooner.  As to your questions,  i'm not sure how much 'disk space' the notebook takes up on my phone, but my best approximation is 10 GB.  And as for free space on my phone, I have 67 GB free at this time.

It seems (still) that downloading offline notebooks pauses when i leave Evernote on the phone to go to some other app - mail, omnifocus, whatever, and only resumes once i return to evernote - at least per the green "progress" bar.  

thought this was resolved in an earlier version.  am i seeing things correctly?

thanks

I'm wondering if others are seeing what I saw:

Viewing a single notebook (not "all notes") on the phone, I clicked on the three dots at upper right of screen and was surprised to see the "available offline" option not selected. I selected it, after which it greyed out. This seemed odd, because I had already selected the "download" option from the Settings menu. But perhaps BOTH of these options need to be selected?

A month ago I left both my iPad and my iPhone unlocked and unplugged for over 48 hours in order to download off-line notebooks that in the previous version download it in a matter of hours.

This morning I noticed that they are all downloading all over again. Both of these devices have been on with Evernote open and the screen unlocked for seven hours and the downloading of off-line notebooks has not completed.

This "new improved" version of Evernote has been out for sometime now, and this behavior is inexcusable at this point. I'm really wishing I had another option but I have so much invested in this app…

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Send a support ticket ...

Mine is answered, but open. After downloading I found out that new content was not added to the offline notebooks. So even if the download is done initially, new content will be missing. This makes the feature unreliable and by this useless at the moment (EN iOS v10.2).

Edit EN iOS 10.3: Solved !

• Like 1
On 12/8/2020 at 3:50 PM, PinkElephant said:

Send a support ticket ...

Mine is answered, but open. After downloading I found out that new content was not added to the offline notebooks. So even if the download is done initially, new content will be missing. This makes the feature unreliable and by this useless at the moment (EN iOS v10.2).

Evernote used to be great. WTF 🤬 happened?

Also noticed that when I’m looking at a web site (on my iPhone) I could upload the content directly into Evernote, but now, that function does not work ( even though it says ‘clip saved’. That still works on PC though. 

On 12/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, Wilburguy said:

A month ago I left both my iPad and my iPhone unlocked and unplugged for over 48 hours in order to download off-line notebooks that in the previous version download it in a matter of hours.

This morning I noticed that they are all downloading all over again. Both of these devices have been on with Evernote open and the screen unlocked for seven hours and the downloading of off-line notebooks has not completed.

This "new improved" version of Evernote has been out for sometime now, and this behavior is inexcusable at this point. I'm really wishing I had another option but I have so much invested in this app…

Therein lies the problem:  many of us have invested our data, money, and trust with this company, and the degree to which we trust Evernote has degraded significantly.  But it didn't have to be this way...

I used to enthusiastically recommend Evernote to family and colleagues; but not anymore - there currently is no reliability to speak of.  Sad what bad leadership does.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, fcroteau said:

For some unknown reasons, I cannot get all the notes on my iphone for notebooks i choosed for offline notes.

Your post has been merged with the ongoing discussion for this issue

• Level 5

The offline function is still buggy.

I managed to download all, but when I added to the notebook, the new notes were not downloaded. So it got stuck at an open gap that will not close.

Support ticket is open, solution as well.

Edit EN iOS 10.3: Solved !

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Just tested it on the latest iOS version. Download is still a joke. Just kicked off a notebook with 252 notes in it - the enex export is about 30 MB. Copying that on a 100 MB/sec FTTC connection should take a few seconds. Still waiting 5 minutes later, and it looks like it will probably take at least 50 minutes. 

• Like 1
On 1/7/2021 at 9:20 PM, Wayne Robinson said:

Just upgraded from 10.2 to 10.3. No difference. Evernote are used to be great, since last fall they have been failing 😥

B7D835E3-7E3E-4F0D-B593-01267F96AA09.jpeg

Well fro Thursday until now, Sunday just 2 days later, the Sync seems to be working! 🤔 👏

• Level 5

For anybody who believes it is slow: My full download (appr. 16GB) took less than a day. It is not simply copying bits through the internet, a data base needs to be build, a search index updated etc.

IMHO the speed is acceptable, and it is only needed once. What is positive: The „all notebooks“ Option works, it does not choke any longer.

Offline sync is now fine as well (did not work with 10.2), and is happening very fast.

A third goodie: Search in notebooks shared to me by others is still not working on the server. But if I have it offline (it is downloaded as well with „all notebooks“), and go to flight mode, search suddenly covers these notebooks as well !

• Like 1

Anyone else having the problem on iOS where you wear a web site and you click add to Evernote, You get a message that the clip was saved, but it never does save.

you get a message that the clip was saved, but it never does save.

This stop working for me about two months ago but it still works on the PC version of Evernote? 

• Shane D. changed the title to [Fixed in Version 10.3] Offline Notebooks take a long time/too long to download

It's finally working! I had to select no off-line folders and let the app sit open for a couple minutes and then re-select download all in order for this process to start properly. Everything synced, and I have a lot of stuff, within a couple hours. I hope that as time moves on that the server response will get faster because it's pretty much slower than any other synchronizing app that I use.

Whew!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 1/11/2021 at 11:37 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We believe this issue has been fixed in our most recent release for iOS, Version 10.3.

You can learn more here:

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have questions.

If you encounter a new/different issue, please start a new thread.

Sorry to report, but this is not completely fixed.  At least for me.  The variable appears to be notebook size.  If notebooks have (guess) less than 1000 notes, everything does seem to work fine.  The problem is with large notebooks.  I have one that is about 8000 notes.  It will get about 2/3 the way through and then the app will crash.  Restarting just causes the app to crash.  Eventually I have to delete the app and reinstall.  This is very repeatable.  I have plenty of available local storage on the device so that is not the issue.  This happens on both an iPhone 11 and iPad Air 4th gen, using EN version 10.4.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you tried a support ticket on this yet ? Support reaction time was pretty good on my tickets when I tried in the last days.

I have.  If they come back with anything of interest or help, I will post again here.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
34 minutes ago, seven said:

Do your notebooks download offline with a PLUS sub?

Yes, offline notebooks are an optional feature for Plus and Premium subscriptions   
(https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans)   
Note, the feature is disabled by default.  We have to enable offline download for specific notebooks

• Level 5

First idea update iOS. Actual build is 14.4

For the download: It will not happen in the background. iOS does not allow apps continuous background operations. It will only load a little chunk of data while you use EN.

To download all notebooks fast, you need to keep the app active. Switch off autolockscreen in the iOS settings, Display. Now open the EN app, switch one or several notebooks to „offline“, leave the app running in the foreground. To save some energy, dim the display, put the iPhone to a charger.

The download of all notes (16GB) took approximately 1 day on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It was on a fast 5GHz WiFi.

If it is much slower on a fast network, probably something from the previous releases is locking things. Then completely uninstall the EN app: Delete app, dump all data, switch the iPhone completely off, on again, reinstall the app, log in, let it sync before using.

And now try again to download, following the above procedure.

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

First idea update iOS. Actual build is 14.4

For the download: It will not happen in the background. iOS does not allow apps continuous background operations. It will only load a little chunk of data while you use EN.

To download all notebooks fast, you need to keep the app active. Switch off autolockscreen in the iOS settings, Display. Now open the EN app, switch one or several notebooks to „offline“, leave the app running in the foreground. To save some energy, dim the display, put the iPhone to a charger.

The download of all notes (16GB) took approximately 1 day on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. It was on a fast 5GHz WiFi.

If it is much slower on a fast network, probably something from the previous releases is locking things. Then completely uninstall the EN app: Delete app, dump all data, switch the iPhone completely off, on again, reinstall the app, log in, let it sync before using.

And now try again to download, following the above procedure.

Good advice. I wish I would have known this several months ago. I'm new to the thread, not new to the problem. I've been waiting for some notebooks to download for over two months.... Unfortunately, I cannot turn off the notebooks that are checked as "offline" ones. So, I'm stuck with only going through a reinstall? This is dumb, but if it works, I'll give it a try. The last thread I saw from an Evernote employee said that it has been fixed. It has not been fixed. I'm in the most current iOS and the most current Evernote for iOS.

• Level 5

@rogw The switch to take notebooks to offline is sort of a Zombie: You switch it off, it will switch on again. But you just need to be patient now ! If you leave it, it will do whatever it does, and magically switch itself to "off" after a wait. How long this takes depends on the size of the offline notebook, and probably the speed of your device. Times measured are in between several seconds (small notebook, iPhone 11 ProMax) and a few minutes.

The offline download works for me since EN iOS 10.4.

Until 10.2 it did not work. With 10.3. the initial download worked, but it would not update. Since 10.4. it downloads, and it keeps the downloaded content up to date. It really keeps it updated fast - I first thought it would not work, but when I set it up for testing, I saw it updated notes within a snap. Amazing, if you see v10 in general. And 10.4 is the first version where you could switch "All notebooks offline", and it works. Before it was better to click one notebook after the other, because it would stall when too many tried downloading at once.

Now there is this half-lived switch that needs to be fixed. Maybe with 10.5 🙈

Thank you PinkElephant - that helps. I did see the switch all offline, but was afraid to ***** it up worse. I have left Evernote on all day today in the screen that shows the download folders. It is progressing albeit slowly. My home connection was slow, but my office is pretty fast, and I have seen progress.... So, I guess I know and just wait it out. Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

FYI, this is still a problem for me on 10.5 with a large notebook.  Leaving the display on and running all night and the app will eventually crash while downloading this notebook.  Once that happens, the app becomes unstable and I have to delete and reinstall.

I did report this to support and eventually got to the developers who requested log files, and then thanked me, confirmed it was a problem and closed the ticket.  Smaller notebooks download fine but I'm not holding out much hope that this will get fixed for larger notebooks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If I remember well you are far above this figure in your largest notebook.

Yes, the notebook that I'm trying to download is about 7000 notes.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has been successful with a notebook around this size.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Yes, the notebook that I'm trying to download is about 7000 notes.  I would be interested to hear if anyone has been successful with a notebook around this size.

My largest notebook contains approximately 10,000 notes.  Major instability and download times occurred  - more than once.