(Archived) [Troubleshooting] All notes appear as blank in Evernote

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

Yeah pretty much like everyone on this thread, I'm fed up of the continual issues whilst Evernote tries to reinvent itself or whatever they heck they're doing. I've got so much stuff invested in Evernote and I don't want to migrate out, I feel trapped into their ecosystem but I really enjoy the workflow of the browser plugin and mobile app to take notes from the camera etc.  For the desktop on my Mac, I've gone back to Evernote Legacy, it does everything I need, and that's probably what I'll continue to use from now on.

• Like 2

New behavior this time on the new laptop. Put it to sleep with EN displayed. Woke it up and the note window was frozen NOT blank! I could still open up notes in separate windows. Then the cursor went to a little hand, like in a web browser. Then after minimizing and maximizing the app voila! it began working! Hope this helps.

I have been a loyal Evernote user for a very long time an have gotten MANY people to start using it over the years. Lately, I am ready to move to another solution. The client for Mac has gone from fantastic to garbage in the new releases. I am running 10.8.4 and just had to restart Evernote just to get away from the BLANK about screen!!! Each new release takes one step forward and THREE steps back. 

Am I asking too much to be able to actually click on a note and it not be blank? The part-time search working is not really helping my productivity either!

• Evernote Expert
18 hours ago, ESPnote said:

Am I asking too much to be able to actually click on a note and it not be blank?

No, this is quite reasonable. However, this issue is proving more challenging than we users might imagine.  If it is a significant issue then the best option is to work in the legacy application until this is fixed. You will, thankfully, have all the function that you have been accustomed to without the frustration this issue is raising.

I am, I suppose, fortunate that this issue raises its head more or less once per day so one restart is something I can survive and suffer as I try out version 10. If it was more frequent I'd revert to legacy.

• Like 1

After a recent update  a few weeks ago on my MAC (being made based on your recommendations and marketing without telling me about the issue, which you were aware of in January) I cannot access and work with my notes anymore.. It is long time ago I have experienced such a poor service and software-quality. When do you expect to have solved the issue for Mac-users as well?

10.8.4-mac-mas-public (458463)
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

MacOS Big Sur. Notes don't load, have to restart Evernote every day. Has happened ever since the new "improved" client was released. Being able to open notes obviously is a crucial part of a note taking application... surprised this was overlooked in the update! I have a lot in Evernote now so would prefer to not migrate but I have been forced to lean on other apps much more now (Drafts, OneNote) :(

On 2/11/2021 at 9:51 AM, agsteele said:

Thanks Shane.  Sadly, the issue still seems to be present, for me, in version 10.8.4

FWIW, I've narrowed down the issue to the following couple of common factors.

It only happens after starting Evernote following either a sleep or reboot for the first time in a new day.  So it will only be an issue first thing in the morning.  It is then triggered when I've been looking at a note then click away to another note. THis can be by selecting the next note in the snippet column or by going to the Home Screen and choosing a note from there.

As ever Quit/Restart brings the content back.

4 hours ago, tyoung77 said:

No problems for about 4 days with 10.8.4 on Win10 on both the new laptop and the old desktop. Something is different. Fact others are still experiencing problems means the bug is still there.

I spoke too soon. After doing a search and voila the blank screen returned.

EN developers, are you listening?

EN management, are you listening?

EN anybody are you listening?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, tyoung77 said:

I spoke too soon. After doing a search and voila the blank screen returned.

Sorry to hear this. The issue has been acknowledged by EN staff and it appears to under investigation but a slution hasn't been found.

As you know, these are peer support forums so staff responses are infrequent unless there is something new to report.

I've continued to have this exact issue for the past couple months (I think December 2020 when this first got posted). It happens on both my Windows 10 work computer and my Macbook Pro running OS Big Sur. I've also noticed the correlation with my computer having hibernated/slept/not been restarted. I've been a Premium User for many years.

It's rare for me to get frustrated and I'm just okay with a force quit on either computer, but the frequency is getting frustrating.

I have been a long term loyal customers but enough is enough. I, like so many others, have become completely disillusioned with Evernote  .... one step forward two steps back.  I too have had this blank page problem for months. Given that so many people have this problem I can't believe it did not come up in the pre-launch testing? Was the software rolled out regardless of the problem? If so, why? And if it did not come up in testing I have to question Evernote's competence. What other undiscovered problems sit under the hood? I'm so busy that moving off Evernote would be a real hassle, but I've reached that point of frustration and loss of trust. 

On Win 10, using EN version 10.8.5-win-ddl-public (2367)...

It seems as if the problem for me has ended. I'll know for sure as the days go on. 

To my bucket list I've recently added that Evernote solve this problem before, well, before I no longer need my bucket list.  😃 

Barry

• Confused 1

I have the same issue on about the same time frame - starting roughly December. 

Notes become blank at random times. Most noticeable after a long delay or overnight with Evernote in the background. The About Evernote page is also blank. Quit and restart has resolved it every time but it's common enough that it is no longer a reliable and useful tool.

The search function is also, as mentioned above, hit and miss. 

Hi. I have been a paying customer on two accounts. The problem that I am experiencing is when I switch accounts, in the desktop version, only a blank screen loads. After waiting for about five minutes, the screen is still blank. I have to do menu/file/quit the app. When attempting to switch accounts, the app always closes completely down instead of switching accounts; then, I have to wait for the app to reload. So far and sometimes, my notes do eventually load following account switches, but have me in an uncomfortable mode that my notes may get lost and often do not appear at all; although eventually they do.

At this time, I am not seeking to cancel my EN accounts, for a while yet, due to the great features that I really enjoy. I just want the app to be fixed so that I can switch accounts with no issues of waiting for the app to reload with a blank screen and needing to do the steps as described here and as others mentioned; so, I am patiently waiting for the fix since my notes do eventually load.

Thanks for all that you do to provide, maintain, and update this robust system!

I have the latest update for Windows (10.8.5) and I'm still having this issue and it only happens when my laptop has been in "sleep mode" for more than a day or two. I am a paying customer and used to love Evernote until this major upgrade/redesign. They've completely disregarded desktop users. It's quite inconvenient that I have to use my mobile device just to access my Evernote while on my laptop because the laptop app doesn't work - especially when there's information in a note that I need to copy/use in a document that's on my laptop.

• Evernote Expert

THis issue is continuing and it makes no difference whether I pay a subscription or am a Basic user. If you have this then it is an issue. I know that the Evernote tech guys are trying to resolve but so far without success.

If it is presenting a challenge to workflow then the answer is almost certainly to use the legacy version of the application which will provide the service and reliability that you were accustomed to.

I'm fortunate that the problem crops up for me once a day. So I have to quit and restart once and then all goes well. So it isn't too big an inconvenience. If it was happening more frequently then I would certainly be working with the legacy version.

Like most of you, I'm continuing to experience the blank note issue. In order to have EN show the notes I have to go to the Win 10 Task Manager\Details and end the EN tasks ( although I just have to highlight one EN entry to shut them all down). Then, I restart EN. The notes appear.

Particularly annoying is that EN tells me my desktop app is being updated to xxx. I update. Then  EN starts and another message pops up that a newer version of EN...blah, blah, blah. OMG!

I truly like EN. I was a subscriber for several years, I left and went to Notion which was great. When I read about the changes in EN 10 I figured I'd give it a try once again. Being very impressed, I purchased, once again, the Premium subscription.

It's wonderful and I'd gladly pay the charge; however, the issues ( blank notes, constantly having to update) are maddening. I understand the difficulties of software development and I appreciate what the developers are struggling through.  

I'll wait a bit longer before going back to Notion. I'd prefer the robustness and the features of EN over those on Notion. How much longer I'm willing to hang on? I guess until the end of my subscription.

If I come across as being angry, well, I am!  I can deal with bugs but this is silly. I update and then I have to update again? Something is terribly wrong with this version of EN.

I’m on Windows 10 on Evernote v10.8.5 . The issue still happens intermittently. The solution posted by Austin G, on January 5 fixes the problem when it happens, but the problem doesn’t happen often enough for me to always remember the solution. Ironically, I’m using another note system to keep notes for workarounds for Evernote problems and quirks.

Help! 25 Feb 2021. Evernote updated to version 10.5 overnight.  I am using it on Android.  Can see notes in notebook,  but when I click on them they are blank.  I see that this has been a problem for months.  Is it fixed yet?  Can I get rid of this "update"? Help asap please! 

• Evernote Expert
21 hours ago, bsachais said:

Particularly annoying is that EN tells me my desktop app is being updated to xxx. I update. Then  EN starts and another message pops up that a newer version of EN...blah, blah, blah. OMG!

The blank note issue is, I think, a different issue to the updating message nuisance.

My recollection is that the latter can usually be resolved by a complete uninstall. Ensure that the data directory (%AppData\Evernote) and the program directory (%LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote) and deleted. Then reinstall from scratch.

The blank note thing is a continuing issue which for many is infrequent. File | Quit the program and the restart usually deals with the apparently blank notes.  For me it happens roughly once per day so isn't a great incovenience. If it was more often then I'd be sticking with the legacy version of the program which would avoid the hassle and frustration and keep my blood pressure down.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

The blank note issue is, I think, a different issue to the updating message nuisance.

My recollection is that the latter can usually be resolved by a complete uninstall. Ensure that the data directory (%AppData\Evernote) and the program directory (%LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote) and deleted. Then reinstall from scratch.

The blank note thing is a continuing issue which for many is infrequent. File | Quit the program and the restart usually deals with the apparently blank notes.  For me it happens roughly once per day so isn't a great incovenience. If it was more often then I'd be sticking with the legacy version of the program which would avoid the hassle and frustration and keep my blood pressure down.

Thanks for suggesting how to resolve the updating issue. I'll tackle that this evening.

Barry

Hi.  I’m having real trouble.  Without any other problem intervening, all my Notes are completely gone (from my iPad).   Thankfully, they are still on my iPhone, but the small screen makes it a real pain.  How can I get back the Notes on the iPad???  Wayne 

I've had this issue since October 2020, and I find that not only do I have to shut down Evernote, but I have to bring up the Windows Task Manager and kill off a half-dozen or so evernote.exe processes.  Then restarting Evernote, the problem is resolved . . . for a few hours.

I'm frankly shocked that this issue - which has been documented since November 2020 - has not been fixed yet.  It must be a real doosie of a problem!

Blank note issue.

After the computer has been idle or in sleep mode, I cannot see notes, though the thumbnail version is visible.

Using ctrl-alt-del to bring up task manager I see several Evernote processes but I cannot end them as I get a pop-up error asking if I want to wait or relaunch. 

It would be nice to have this fixed.

I'll get to the blank notes and a solution in a second. First I want to complain about another issue, namely, the annoyance of trying to scroll through a week's worth of notes and realizing that dragging the scroller one quarter of an inch brings you back three months. If anyone from Evernote reads this, please fix this scrolling annoyance. Maybe dragging the scroller two inches should go back one week, not a quarter inch going back three months.

Now, back to the blank page issue.

The issue is that notes in Windows suddenly become blank. This is fixed after removing and reinstalling the program. Until I search by Tag and suddenly, all of the notes become blank again.  And again. The titles are in the side window, but the notes themselves are blank.

The solution is easy. Download Microsoft Edge if you don't have it. I normally use Firefox but there's something about Evernote that annoys Firefox, so stick with Edge.  Open Edge, go to Evernote.com and login. Takes a minute to load, so I leave it open and minimize the window when I need to use another program. In fact, the only time I ever use Edge is for Evernote, so I just leave it minimized and open most of the time.

This is not a real solution. But Edge works great.  It's super fast once it loads. Searching is much better, so I know what the folks at Evernote are going for.

I have confidence that Evernote will eventually fix this issue. The Windows version keeps improving but it's not there yet. The Edge workaround is super easy until Evernote gets its act together.

• Evernote Expert
6 hours ago, SunscreenAl said:

I'll get to the blank notes and a solution in a second. First I want to complain about another issue, namely, the annoyance of trying to scroll through a week's worth of notes and realizing that dragging the scroller one quarter of an inch brings you back three months. If anyone from Evernote reads this, please fix this scrolling annoyance. Maybe dragging the scroller two inches should go back one week, not a quarter inch going back three months.

@SunscreenAl Thanks for your contribution to this discussion. What about putting a separate request in the Requests forum so that this suggestion doesn't get lost here - in the midst of blank screen woes? Just suggesting. Would hate for a good point to get lost.

Just noticing that this was first posted in November 2020 - and it's the end of February 2021 right now.

For me, in Mac OS... I use snippet view and leave Evernote open all the time. When I go to it and click on a note, it quite often (now) returns a blank page for that note. All the other notes follow suit - but all the snippets appear unaffected.

Upon a restart, it recovers and everything is fine - until next time.

It happens a lot.... wondering if this is on the 'urgent fix' list.

Coz it's quite annoying!

Thanks in advance.

S

• Evernote Expert

A quick observation and potential hope... I'm currently running a beta for Evernote and aside from the particular test I've noticed that, instead of the blank note issue, I now get a message which says 'Window is not responding'. There is then an option to relaunch which almost instantly fixes the problem. A small improvement on the daily Quit/Restart but more importantly might mean that the bug can be trapped and fixed.

Hoping.

• Thanks 1

My notes aren’t loading after the recent upgrade. Hope this gets fixed soon but by looking at the 3 pages of complaints, it appears Evernote really dropped the ball on this release.  I wonder what their testing standards are like for something this big to slip through?

Hello everyone. I want to +1 this issue as it has been happening to me on two different Macs. One running Catalina and one running High Sierra. I've been a premium subscriber since it was a thing. Years and years. This is a very frustrating bug and as a daily use Evernote user, I'm probably quitting the app at least every day or two to have my content be visible.

Just want to weigh in that this issue is becoming increasingly frustrating.  The value add of Evernote is very much eroded if I can't use it instantly to record a note.  Having to restart it every time I need to record or find something is 100% contrary to the tools purpose.  Happens on both Mac and PC.

Getting ready to spend a few hours on exporting and importing into OneNote.  Ugh.

I have been checking Task Manager too often for this problem.  I often find that another Evernote update is required.  And then it runs fine until the next update ... which then stops Evernote from retrieving the contents of notes.  The updates are happening several times a month and add uncontrollable delays to getting work done on time.     I'm thinking of moving out of Evernote.   This has been going on for several months.

So my understanding is that the purpose of Evernote is to be able to store and view notes?   It is now March 2, 2021 and this very fundamental issue of not being able to view notes on Windows 10 is still present.   You asked users to be 'patient' while you investigated the issue.   How patient should we be?

I am also starting to look around for alternatives to Evernote.   There is no point if it has constant 'updates' and 'improvements' but can't deliver the most basic functionality.

• Evernote Expert
13 hours ago, gcaparulo said:

Getting ready to spend a few hours on exporting and importing into OneNote.  Ugh.

This blank note issue has proved very challenging to identify the cause. I know that the tech folk are working on this and have attempted several unsuccessful fixes. If the issue gets in the way of work then revert to the legacy version. It works as it always did. This blank note issue will, eventually, be resolved once the cause is found. For now I have seen some progress so I am hopeful that it will be solved but in the meantime I can save my frustration by sticking with the offered option of the legacy software.

Do we have an ETA on when this issue is going to be fixed? I hate having to close and open Evernote several times a day. The older versions that I used for the last 8 years never had this issue.

• Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, dlr1967 said:

Do we have an ETA on when this issue is going to be fixed? I hate having to close and open Evernote several times a day. The older versions that I used for the last 8 years never had this issue.

No. But the current beta has trapped the issue so that gives hope for a solution. Meantime, stick with the legacy.

I am using

10.8.5-win-ddl-public (2367)
Service: v1.28.5
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

i keep gettting blank notes when clicking on a note, it doesnt display.  if i log out and restart then the notes appear.  but a few hours later the problem re-occurs and the notes are blank.  this has been happening for several releases now. 

• Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, EvernoteUserName said:

Do we know how widespread this problem of the blank note in the Windows app is?  I realized we have maybe a couple dozen people reporting it here in this forum but maybe it is not a priority to EN because it is not affecting many users?

I am aware that the EN tech folk are working on this. There is a beta under test at the moment for other features but has trapped the bug so that I can click a reload option and continue.  So work is underway. I couldn't say how close this is to being fixed yet.

• Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, BenBo said:

issue came back for me after seemingly being resolved for a month or so. Version 10.8.5 (current).

So annoying.

Yes, frustrating.  I rather suspect that the issue hasn't just returned but rather you haven't had the misofrtune to experience it. Or perhaps the fortune to have missed it.  It has been fairly consistent for those that suffer, they continue to suffer.

I have been very patient with this blank notes thing but to be honest with y'all, after having to kill EN for the gazillionith time, I've just about had it. Reading and writing notes is the core thing EN is supposed to do. To have a persistent bug for this long that directly stops your customers from doing the main thing you are supposed to provide is really beyond the pale. It's been months. Instead of getting a reliable fix for reading and writing notes, we're getting a new home page feature and whatever else. EN product and dev folks, please stop distracting yourselves and focus on enabling your users to use your core feature without constantly having to restart, or go into the task manager to cancel processes (gimme a break) to resolve things. I want to be able to read and write notes reliably. Alllllll the rest depends on these two things. Without this, you have no product - or at least not one worthy of paying for. 

/rant.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, cmartin44 said:

Without this, you have no product - or at least not one worthy of paying for. 

I think you're preaching to the choir rather than the choir-master.

Frankly, I have just about had it with the blank notes. The excuse-makers explaining that the engineers are aware of the problem and blah-blah-blah. Well, if the engineers are aware of the problem FIX THE DAMN THING! It's been months that this has been going on. 

Truthfully, I've already spent he money for the subscription. That this bug has gone on this long is disgraceful.

Little by little I will be copying my notes to another program. Perhaps EN will solve the issue. Then, I'm in!  I will happily renew my subscription. 

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

I think you're preaching to the choir rather than the choir-master.

Just now, bsachais said:

Frankly, I have just about had it with the blank notes. The excuse-makers explaining that the engineers are aware of the problem and blah-blah-blah. Well, if the engineers are aware of the problem FIX THE DAMN THING! It's been months that this has been going on. 

Truthfully, I've already spent he money for the subscription. That this bug has gone on this long is disgraceful.

Little by little I will be copying my notes to another program. Perhaps EN will solve the issue. Then, I'm in!  I will happily renew my subscription. 

Tell me who the choir-master is! Apparently, the choir-master doesn't follow this forum!

• Like 1

Another user with this problem here. Have to restart multiple times per day. Paying subscriber. Not impressed with this overhaul of the app.

Evernote 10.8.6 on macOS Big Sur 11.12.1. 

• Evernote Expert
13 hours ago, bsachais said:

Tell me who the choir-master is! Apparently, the choir-master doesn't follow this forum!

You're ranting at fellow users here. If you want to take this up with Evernote and be sure you are heard then a support ticket or contact the CEO would probably be more effective.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, agsteele said:

You're ranting at fellow users here. If you want to take this up with Evernote and be sure you are heard then a support ticket or contact the CEO would probably be more effective.

The EN forums are places for customers to voice things we like, dislike, and wish for when it comes to EN. The EN team itself acknowledges this, a truth made obvious by the fact that EN employees regularly contribute to these forums, acknowledging defects, sharing workarounds, etc. Intimating that customers should stop voicing their displeasure within these forums about a persistent defect creates a chilling effect that stifles communication and openness, which are core attributes of any effective customer forum. If this topic doesn't interest you, perhaps you might simply stop following it instead of telling the rest of us what we should or shouldn't talk about. 

10 hours ago, agsteele said:

I was just writing to you in order to apologize. My frustration was directed towards the CEO and engineers not you. I hope understand that and accept my apology. Those in charge will forthwith be the target of my frustration. Once again, my apologies.

Barry

• Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, bsachais said:

I was just writing to you in order to apologize. My frustration was directed towards the CEO and engineers not you. I hope understand that and accept my apology. Those in charge will forthwith be the target of my frustration. Once again, my apologies.

Apologies really not necessary.

I can confirm that this is still a problem on Mac version 10.8.6.

The windows all become empty after the app has been open for a while. Even the About Evernote window is blank!

Restarting the app always fixes this, so it is just an annoyance.

Is there an update from the Evernote team on this issue?

It’s been happening to me for months now - blank notes and also blank Evernote about window.

Details
M1 MBPro / Big Sur V11.2.2
10.8.6-mac-mas-public (458469)

It’s really not good that something as fundamental as being able to view your notes is being swept down the list of priorities while trivial updates like tagging and new keyboard shortcuts are being rolled out. Who cares about the latest keyboard shortcut when you can’t even view your notes?!

Just want to chime in that I too have been having these issues since several months, and that they are not solved. I have to restart Evernote every day.

Evernote 10.8.6 on macOS Big Sur 11.12.2

• Like 1

I will join the chorus of frustration here. Have been a paying subscriber to EN for over a dozen years, and this bug is making me consider changing to something different. The core of the app is to take notes and read them. I can't do either of those things when it comes up blank. Can't tell you how many times I've joined a call, pull up EN to write notes, only to have to frantically quit, restart it, re-assemble all the windows I had open, etc. 

PLEASE, stop with the redesigning of the app home page which I never look at, and make the app work for its core function. This has been going on for months. 

I would paste in the version of EN I'm running (on Catalina 10.15.7), but even the "About Evernote" window is blank. So, there you go.

Adding myself to this growing queue of those who are experiencing the blank notes issue. Frustrating stuff.

It's been happening for me intermittently for a few months now. As others do, I have to restart Evernote frequently to see my notes.

MacBook Pro, OS X v10.15.7

About Evernote
10.8.5-mac-ddl-public (2367)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mcoble said:

Adding myself to this growing queue of those who are experiencing the blank notes issue. Frustrating stuff.

It's been happening for me intermittently for a few months now. As others do, I have to restart Evernote frequently to see my notes.

MacBook Pro, OS X v10.15.7

About Evernote
10.8.5-mac-ddl-public (2367)

Same here.

as a developer I feel embarrassed that a problem that can be recreated by 100s (if not 1000s) of users can not be solve in 5 friggin months...

9 hours ago, jeffchr said:

I will join the chorus of frustration here. Have been a paying subscriber to EN for over a dozen years, and this bug is making me consider changing to something different. The core of the app is to take notes and read them. I can't do either of those things when it comes up blank. Can't tell you how many times I've joined a call, pull up EN to write notes, only to have to frantically quit, restart it, re-assemble all the windows I had open, etc. 

PLEASE, stop with the redesigning of the app home page which I never look at, and make the app work for its core function. This has been going on for months. 

I would paste in the version of EN I'm running (on Catalina 10.15.7), but even the "About Evernote" window is blank. So, there you go.

For ten years, we were all asking for encrypted notes. Now we're at the point where we have to beg to be able to consistently see our notes at all. Definitely doesn't feel like the trajectory is upward at the moment. 

Hi.  I have 10.8.5-mac.  All my EN notes are often blank when I restart my Mac from Sleep mode.

If I select to quit/restart EN, the notes will reappear.

I applied the "fix version" a while back, but this problem continued.

What's the cause?  I'd love a somewhat technical description.

When can we expect a fix?

Thanks.

• Evernote Expert

The release of v10.9.10 for Windows sees the trapping of the blank note issue which I take to be a good piece of progress. Now, when the blank note issue arises I see a pop up which says that the window is not responding and the offer to Relaunch or Wait.  Relaunch is the quick option to get everything running again.

Not perfect by any means but it is a step in the right direction.

Small steps are far better than no steps. EN is wonderful software. I'll be sticking with it. Let's hope the issue will be corrected. 

And we all know once this issue is resolved there will be another bug popping up. 😀

So I have the blank page issue on one Mac but not the other. Both have the same version of iOS and of Evernote. I understand software issues as I work for the largest software company in the world but someone please show EN this thread... 4 MONTHS people have been reporting this in detail! This is certainly a Sev 1 issue since users cannot use the most basic functionality of a premium SaaS program! The idea behind SaaS software is that you pay as you receive value! Please get them on a fix!

• 3 weeks later...

Felt like i needed to chime in here too.  losing my mind with this.  having to constantly stop everything to kill all the evernote processes.  i have slowly had to start moving notes to other programs.  i really dont want to move away from evernote buy these random gymnastics must be fixed, or at least a more reasonable workaround.

• Like 1

Installed latest 10.5.5 on Windows 10.

Each time I start the application, the screen is blank. Just the menu and nothing. Nothing gets displayed. I need to restart the app to see my notes.

This is the same bug since months so get it fixed please!

image.png.70d0fbc2ca0f96d4d8aaf5400ba01f88.png

• Like 1
On 3/12/2021 at 4:19 AM, agsteele said:

The release of v10.9.10 for Windows sees the trapping of the blank note issue which I take to be a good piece of progress. Now, when the blank note issue arises I see a pop up which says that the window is not responding and the offer to Relaunch or Wait.  Relaunch is the quick option to get everything running again.

Not perfect by any means but it is a step in the right direction.

There is no excuse for a bug that affects so many users to exist this long. Trapping an error should be done by the developers not the users.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Mac user here. Same issue here. Issues have been a constant since the "new" version. (spoilers: It's not worth the code it's written on, to keep it polite...!!!!)

Don't really know what is Evernote doing but this reinvention of themselves looks more and more like a shot on the foot. Actually, both feet!! 

I've been a paying customer for many years (on my personal account) but I'm honestly thinking of jumping ship this year.

We already had enough limitations from the way Evernote works, their considerably expensive product and lack of support. This may just be the final nail in the coffin.

It won't be easy to move my 40k plus notes from Evernote to somewhere else, but I think it will pay off in the long run so i may be doing just that.

Evernote, get your act together or you'll be losing another customer because of your bad QA, lack of user support and horrible pricing. I've seen quite a few companies going that way over the years and I don't see many of them in business anymore.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We believe our most recent update, Version 10.11, should help to address this issue:

If you haven't already, please update to Version 10.11, and let us know if you're still encountering this issue.

I appreciate your consideration, and look forward to your responses.

Sadly, 10.11.5 makes no difference for me. The blank note isue is still trapped by the newer 'window is not responding' restart thing. Happens as regular as clockwork once per day for me. Usually after my first change of focus at the start of the day after starting up in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Sadly, 10.11.5 makes no difference for me. The blank note isue is still trapped by the newer 'window is not responding' restart thing. Happens as regular as clockwork once per day for me. Usually after my first change of focus at the start of the day after starting up in the morning.

Same here.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert

The release of v10.13 promised an improvement in the blank note issue. Sadly no improvement here and, worse, the apparent fix which generated a warning that the Window had frozen and offering a Restart option has disappeared too. So now I'm back to my daily close and manually restart process...

• Like 1

This issue is still occurring. I've been using Evernote on-and-off for 8+ years, starting out free, going to premium and back to free. Originally it seemed the app was client-side and sync'ed with servers but now it seems like the app is a shell of a web-browser with some features.

It seems since this change there's no way of manually refreshing or syncing/saving notes which appears to have something to do with the issue, as forcing the app closed and re-starting it resolves the issue. It's annoying to have to do that each and every time the computer has disconnected from / reconnected to the internet or been sleeping and woken up.

On top of that, merging notes doesn't work. I select 6 notes 2mb each, merge & the file disappears from the list of notes a few seconds after completion. 
What does this feature in the Chrome extension do, I can't find anything anywhere to utilise it: Clip all pages into a single note.

You guys did it once again!  I downloaded version (what ever came out most recently as of 05/13/2021),

and now my Evernote won't even start in Windows 10.  I have to open a browser and log into the website to see my notes.   

I too have been an Evernote evangelist for over a decade, and I am getting really tire of this *****! 

Why don't you guys go buy 20-30 machines, with various setups and test your product before you push your updates?   

It is now about every other update where you push an updated that does this....if you have two different teams then it means that one of your teams is pushing corrupt code! 

There has to be a logical explanation!  Go back in time and look at what you had before you started seeing complaints about this specific issue.   

It is not hard to do, someone just has to give a *****, and take the time to do it...

Get your smartest guys together and brainstorm why this is happening and fix it!!!!   

This is ridiculous!  

This kills my productivity during the day....

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 5/14/2021 at 7:48 PM, Costy1169 said:

You guys did it once again!  I downloaded version (what ever came out most recently as of 05/13/2021),

and now my Evernote won't even start in Windows 10. 

These forums are primarily user-to-user support so, sadly, none of us can respond to your challenge to EN.

I can point you in the direction that typically resolves this particular issue. Uninstall the program AND ensure you delete the data and program directories which you'll find at:

%AppData%\Evenerote

%LocalAppData%\Programs\Evernote

Having removed the program entirely, reinstall and usually this will have fixed the issue.

Alternatively, revert to the legacy version of the application and you should be good to go.

If you want feedback to Evernote then the best options are the Help | Share Feedback menu or submit a support ticket.  Both will give you, as a Premium user, access to staff. Feedback won't bring a response but a support ticket should get something back.

• Evernote Expert
On 5/10/2021 at 5:27 AM, clevernope said:

On top of that, merging notes doesn't work. I select 6 notes 2mb each, merge & the file disappears from the list of notes a few seconds after completion. 

There is a bug in the note merging function.  If any of the notes contain a web clip then the note with the web clip will seem to disappear from the merged note.  The original note disappears. This is a bug which has been reported but I've no idea if there is a resolution in sight. So, the merge function isn't entirely smooth.

My experience is that notes with plain text and no containers will merge without problem. Since you are Basic user I can't suggest you log a ticket but that would be the route for Plus and Premium users. Perhaps the legacy application would be your best solution.

• Thanks 1
On 5/20/2021 at 12:55 AM, agsteele said:

There is a bug in the note merging function.  If any of the notes contain a web clip then the note with the web clip will seem to disappear from the merged note.  The original note disappears. This is a bug which has been reported but I've no idea if there is a resolution in sight. So, the merge function isn't entirely smooth.

My experience is that notes with plain text and no containers will merge without problem. Since you are Basic user I can't suggest you log a ticket but that would be the route for Plus and Premium users. Perhaps the legacy application would be your best solution.

Thanks, good to know it's not just a problem I'm experiencing. I was attempting to merge 6 web-clips, and all of them disappeared.

I would lodge a ticket but the reason why I downgraded from Premium to Basic was because of all the issues & the lack of resolution.

What really grinds my gears is when I come on here to have my questions answered and moderators delete my posts because they don't even fully read or comprehend questions, thinking that merging posts and multi-page clips are the same thing. Same goal, different feature.

One is a bug report, the other asking how to use a damn feature with no real documentation on how to utilise it.

• Level 5

Most moderators are just other users, with extended powers in the forum. So be happy they are trying to keep things a bit structured, even if they may fail from time to time in doing so.

To make posting easier we have sub forums, for using EN or for possible bugs. We better place posts in the right sub forum, because it makes it easier for others to find relevant content.

• 3 weeks later...

I notice this forum is quiet.  Perhaps everyone is having the improved experience that I'm having?
I have not had the blank screen issue for at least two months
I adopted the habit of manually syncing on my iPhone and iPad when I'm not going to be using it for a while.
I use File / Quit Evernote on my WIN10 PC instead of the "X" in the upper right corner.
I have accepted every update within a day or two of being prompted.
And perhaps most importantly .....  I upgraded to a much faster PC.  The old one had run out of memory.  Task switching was painfully slow.   And  opening a new task like File Manager, Word, Excel, etc.  was unbearable.

On Mac - with all the latest updates on both app and OS from 10th June 2021.... I still experience this issue if Evernote is left open and unattended for a few hours.... when I come back, it pretends to be working fine... and then, when I try and refresh / sync, it all goes blank and I have to restart the app.

Doing this around once a week and no changes to this since the last updates... noticing of course that @kideltsen is on PC.

• Evernote Expert

I think it was version 10.14 that it was announced that a partial solution had been found and the issue should be less frequent - but not necessarily completely fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I find it truly amazing that a thread for the same problem continues for 2 years without resolution.  There's the occasional note from Evernote to the effect of "we're aware of the problem" but no fix.  They recommend updating, but I'm on the latest iteration and it's still a problem.  It seems to start when I change notebooks, and the only solution I've found that works "sometimes" is to exit Evernote, then go to windows task manager, and stop all of the 8 processes associated with Evernote.  Then I can restart evernote, though I have to click it in the taskbar a couple of time to get it to restart.  This program is a dog (apologies to those of the canine persuasion, since Canis familiaris is loyal, while Evernote is not).

It really looks like a forum such as this is provided so that users can see that others are having the same problem, over and over and over again.  No fixes ever, so far as I can see.

Any suggestions for a substitute app that actually works, to which I can port something like 14000 notes in 27 notebooks?

• Level 5

@Al Padilla What is truly amazing is the fact that following your argument, the negative effect of v10 took place one year BEFORE v10 was released - "the same problem continues already 2 years without resolution". So maybe EN invented the time machine, and is only struggling with some side effects ?

"No fixes ever" is so far off the point that I won't comment.

If you want an alternative: Install legacy, uninstall v10 - I think for your problem there is no other cure.