(Archived) [Troubleshooting] All notes appear as blank in Evernote

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

This happens to me daily. Quit Evernote, restart, hope it works, repeat. I've been a happy paying Evernote user for years, now I'm looking for the exit.

What happened to this product? I can't believe how dysfunctional this new version is (slow, buggy, missing features, less usable UI) and how long it's been allowed to persist like this.

• Like 3

I've been having the same problem for a month+ now.  There are two workarounds I've found, neither being stellar. One is to log-out from within the desktop app, and re-login. This unfortunately forces content resync.  The second one is to reboot. Which is not ideal given I use my computer for many things that I have open windows spanning days/weeks. 

C'mon EN - get with the program. This is unacceptable. 

• Like 1

I never had a problem with the Windows version until the Evernote upgrade.

Everything is blank in the Windows app but I can see the notes on the web.

I only have 2 devices listed - window and the web version.

Re-starting the program does not help.  I have seen a random blank pop up a couple of times.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, handvc said:

I have this problem.

This is NOT the first use after downloading the new version.

The notes content in miniature are visible in the card view

The notes content are present on the web.

Re-starting the program does not resolve the problem.

In Help menu, choosing "about Evernote" yields a popup with no content.

I have the exact same problem. The app frequently comes up with a popup that's white. And the updates popups are white too so I can't use them. Ever since new windows version. Getting so annoyed, thinking of switching apps completely and moving to a competitor since my windows client is rendered impossible to use. And I am a paying customer. 

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

On the desktop Mac app, I have to restart Evernote every few days due the blank notes issue. Pretty glaring bug, and I would implore the Evernote team to prioritize finding a solution.

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Have you ever tried to make a clean reinstall of the app ?

Close it, run AppCleaner, really check all items on the list to be deleted, trash it all.

Then reboot the Mac, and reinstall the app. Some told they had better experience from the AppStore, I am in the group that prefers the direct download. The software is identical, just the AppStore install will execute in a sandbox, the direct version won’t.

I was having this issue with 10.5.7
even when i tried to open the ""about" window or the "update" windows - just blank.

Also been having issues where if left open when the machine is hibernated, it will not be clickable on restart of the machine.

Uninstalled 10.5.7 

downloaded and re-installed it.

Seems ok so far.

I also have this issue since the forced update. Has made Evernote a bit of a joke, if I cannot see or write notes, what's the point of it? Thus, is there an easy way I can export all my notes to an alternative software where I can actually edit them?

• Like 1

The issue is two month old, affect a big chunk of users, even paid users and it still not fixed? How it is possible.

Sometimes even just quitting doesn't help so I have to restart several times and/or restart the laptop. Work on it finally!

• Like 1
On 1/5/2021 at 12:52 PM, EvernoteUserName said:

I never had a problem with the Windows version until the Evernote upgrade.

Everything is blank in the Windows app but I can see the notes on the web.

I only have 2 devices listed - window and the web version.

Re-starting the program does not help.  I have seen a random blank pop up a couple of times.

It happened again. I tied to start a new note in the Evernote Windows app and it was blank and wouldn't accept input. So then I tried to open an existing note and it was blank.  And there was a blank pop-up.  Since this is a known bug - when can we expect to see if fixed?

On 11/5/2020 at 8:01 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've seen a some reports from users stating that all of their notes appear blank and wanted to provide some information that may help you manage the issue.

First, we are aware of this issue and are working to address it.

If you encounter this issue and this is the first time you've launched the app after updating, it may take some time for your notes to sync. Especially, if you have a larger account.

Additionally, please try quitting the app and restarting the app. Often, this will resolve the issue.

Also, if this is just affecting individual notes, and not all of your notes, please go here:

If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know on this thread.

I'll be follow-ing up here once I have updated information.

Thank you.

Folks,

I have experienced the same problem. I found that "restarting" Evernote and "quitting" Evernote are two different things. Just closing the Evernote window and reopening it does not solve this issue. Selecting "Quit Evernote" from the "File" menu usually kills all the Evernote processes, and the issue is resolved (until the next time my computer hibernates for longer than some unspecified time). Version 10.5.x does not resolve this issue. If File\Quit Evernote doesn't work, going back to Task Manager to End Task any remaining Evernote processes always does the trick. This is the LEAST of my issues with the new Evernote. But I'll save that for another post.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 8:38 PM, Lemayp said:

From what I recall, I have experienced this on almost every monday morning when my laptop hasn`t been used during the week-end.

My laptop is in hibernate mode every time I don`t use it (current states is saved to disk and resume when I start using it).

After 2 days of hibernating, when I attempt to "continue" to use Evernote on monday morning, all notes would appear as blank, no exception.

The only solution I have found to this problem, is to kill all the evernote process.  Cleanly quitting and restarting Evernote hasn`t resolved the problem (there are still process running) for me.

Is there any settings I should set Evernote to attempt to get extra client log information to better investigate this based on the above comment?

Agreed - additionally closing tasks shows there are "windows not responding" which can't bee seen. Presumably there's a modal dialogue box somewhere needing closure. On reboot you will see the windows that were not responding with their notes (mine went back a way). 

Thanks for Tip.

i have this same issue -- in fact it won't even show me the version i'm - that's blank too.  but i do know i JUST installed it on a new laptop 3 days ago. and its fully synced etc (i miss the sync button to force that)

screenshot - pop up is supposed to be the version info

also closing and restarting doesn't fix.

frustrating as heck especially after you renewed my yearly sub without even notifying me.

win 10

however, i did try what dawdillon says above. file quit instead of the X = and it recovered my notes..  BUT they should be the same thing.. quit and X should accomplish the same act.

image.thumb.png.09a533cd95ac00309898141d3927440f.png

• Like 1

What am I missing here? I have been a Premium user for 12 years, never an issue. Now EN deploys v10, and we are using our spare time to fix their issue? What gives? They messed up, they fix it. I have a vanilla 2019 MacBook Air on the latest OS 11.0.0, 1 (everything current), and we are in forums moaning. Where is EN? How can they not know about this?

I am very quickly losing faith in technology, have always been the last to update SW as I don't want to be a bleeding edge user (phun intended) and SW devs scrimp on testing & QA and outsource to us, paying for the privilege (money and time). I don't have time for forums (no disrespect intended to everyone here), I have other priorities.

Am I the fool?

• Like 1

I have had the same problems as many others.  Forced installation of Evernote 10.5.7 on my Windows desktop PC with notes then appearing blank in the reading pane and when opening individual notes, plus dialog boxes also blank.  Closing ("X") Evernote didn't solve it, rebooting my PC usually did but only for a few hours. Tried uninstall and re-install.

Then found info on these forums which helped me to use Task Manager to kill processes, which fixed it some of the time.  Also followed the advice to use File->Quit which works almost all the time.

But, having at least got back to the point of an application where I can actually read my notes, there are too many other changes that are horrible or annoying in 10.5.7.  My laptop didn't force upgrade to 10.5.7 so I've been able to continue using "old" (working) Evernote on one machine.  I then found info on here about reverting my PC to "Legacy" 6.25.2 Evernote - hallelujah!

I'm amazed a supposedly upgraded product has so many previous features missing, unusable changes and such a massive defect.  Was there no user input, no user testing, no beta programme?  I'll be sticking with Legacy V6.

I have been experiencing this for a while and I am still seeing this happen.  I'll update whenever I see a new release, but - this still happens.  Will Evernote respond to this post again with an update?  Or, do we all have to place support tickets to get an update?  I am losing my confidence in this product.

• Shane D. changed the title to [Recommended Workaround]] All notes appear as blank in Evernote
  • Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, charlene66moore said:

I have re-loaded Evernote and done all the updates. Since the last two Evernote updates my notes are blank after my computer sleeps. I see this is happening to many however I wanted to make sure I noted one more individual experiencing this issue. 

I'm not entirely sure that this is ONLY an issue after the PC awakes from sleep - but it is fairly consistent.  However, I know of other programs where this is also an issue - for example Thunderbird Email program v78.6 (64-bit). This is, I suspect, one of those issues that is not a simple fix. If it was predictable and easy to reproduce then it would easier to fix. It may even be several different issues.

The easy solution is to drop back to the legacy version of Evernote and wait for the solution to be discovered. In the meantime the smooth service of the old version will be available.  I use both alongside one another. v6.25 gives me a consistent service and I can watch v10 as it develops.

I guess I can add another vote to this topic subject!

I thought this had been fixed as it didn't occur for a while, but it is back. I have to kill Evernote pretty much every time I want to look at notes. I have been using the web based version but I sometimes forget and try the app.

I really don't want to shift from Evernote - but if it cannot be fixed shortly I might have to.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:57 PM, kuhneng said:

This happens to me daily. Quit Evernote, restart, hope it works, repeat. I've been a happy paying Evernote user for years, now I'm looking for the exit.

What happened to this product? I can't believe how dysfunctional this new version is (slow, buggy, missing features, less usable UI) and how long it's been allowed to persist like this.

Unfortunately, I have to totally agree with your statement above. Same here, long term user and now really frustrated:

• Main window and Search Window -> blank page ... restart does not help
  • My loved "feature" to connect notes with internal links now leads to always opening the main window as well and is clearly a step back in user experience
  • Overall really quite slow and buggy
  • No preferences anymore .... Evernote, are you kidding us? ... can't change default note font size ... always have to manually select all and increase it

Horrible UX ... who ever came up with this and tested it ... no comment

This is happening to me every day sometimes more than once.

As a paying customer for years, I will echo what seems to be the overwhelming sentiment - the last update was awful and i am very unhappy. I will be moving to another product as this one is no longer fit for purpose. 

I have been having this issue for quite a while now, which is really anoying. Unfortunately the latest release did not fix it. I installed v 10.5.7 build 2171 today, which is still leaving me with the problem.

@Evernote team, please fix this!

Indeed.  Losing access to my professional content throughout the day is not an option.

A customer since 2008, I have lost confidence in this platform and have begun using another.  A slow migration over time, but I could not be without my content to lead another meeting or presentation.  

How did we get here?  Unfortunate. 

Paid subscriber since the beginning.  I just started having this issue with the latest release (10.5.7 build 2171).  Also, appears that the new program welcome screen doesn't know that it should display only once.  I see it daily.  Is it possible to revert to an old version?

On 1/5/2021 at 3:25 PM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports. We're looking into this. 

When you restart the program, please try to open the task manager and quit all Evernote processes to ensure the app is fully quit. 

1.  Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to open the task manager 
  2.  Select "More Details" to view the background processes
  3.  Select any processes with "Evernote" in the title, and end them
  4. Restart Evernote 

Those steps should fix the issue as a workaround while we look into this. Please let us know if that's not the case. 

I attempted this solution yesterday and am still having the same issue. Evernote will work for a while and then at some point in my day, I navigate to Evernote and every note is once again blank. 

• Ex Employees
20 hours ago, evernoteyouthpastor said:

I attempted this solution yesterday and am still having the same issue. Evernote will work for a while and then at some point in my day, I navigate to Evernote and every note is once again blank. 

Thanks for the update. To confirm, are you reporting that after ending app process in the task manager the notes are still blank immediately after reopening Evernote, or that the issue is temporarily fixed, but occurs again later in the day? 

Another disappointed Premium user here. How can this have not been resolved in the 2 months since it was reported? 

Evernote moderator: please give us an update on what is being done to fix this major problem and when we can expect Evernote to be functional again.

• Like 1

I have had this happen continuously over the last few months and I use Evernote daily. Quitting the app does not solve the issue. I'm on a Mac (current version OS). No updates are being shown for Evernote. Looking for alternatives at this point :(  

Today this happened to me whilst I was using Evernote (Mac 10.5.7) ie Not when I came back but whilst it was the active app.

I was reading notes, clicking on mini note headers in the list, when suddenly it stops showing content of the note, ie blank, I immediately returned to the note I was was displaying previously and the right note screen remained blank.

Might be relevant to programmers, as it was not the usual come back to the app from a time away, but stopped between moving from one note to the next.

The post Dave I S made has prompted me to post about some change of behavior in Evernote in the last 48 hours.

I've been working around all the issues by using File-Quit and by not leaving it running while I leave the PC unattended for long periods of time (like overnight or when I  put it to sleep).  I also manually sync on my iPhone and iPad.  That limited the blank windows occurrences to maybe 1% of the time I started Evernote.

In the last 48 hours:

• Evernote blanked out after being left alone for less than an hour.
  • Yesterday and today, after waking from overnight hibernation Evernote displayed blank windows even though I had used File-Quit and I checked for Evernote processes running before I started it.  (There is always an Evernote Clipper process running but I haven't needed to kill that one in the past.)
  • Today, Evernote on my PC informed me that I had two duplicate copies of a notebook (for a total of three).   One duplicate was 48 minutes old, one an hour old, and one from yesterday.  As far as I could tell they were all identical.  This is the first sync issue I've had in months.

I haven't updated Evernote in at least a month.  Has something changed on the back end?

I'm running on a Windows 10 Home on a HP PC, Version 2004, OS Build 19041.746

Evernote is:

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public

16 hours ago, crains113 said:

Another disappointed Premium user here. How can this have not been resolved in the 2 months since it was reported? 

Evernote moderator: please give us an update on what is being done to fix this major problem and when we can expect Evernote to be functional again.

I don't have much to add to this other than: +1. Please provide an option soon. 

• Like 1

I have this problem every day, but it doesn't happen on opening the application. At seemingly random points in using the app (I have about a dozen notebooks), clicking from one notebook to another causes the content pane to be empty. (When it happens, I have usually opened a note via Search, and, when done with it, clicked on a different notebook.) The only way I've found to get content back is to close and re-open the app. I'm on a Mac running OS 11.0.1 and 10.5.7 of Evernote. Also, I get spurious popups showing me that I am running the latest version of Evernote as though I had asked it to try to update.

5 hours ago, rdiddly said:

I have this problem every day, but it doesn't happen on opening the application. At seemingly random points in using the app (I have about a dozen notebooks), clicking from one notebook to another causes the content pane to be empty. (When it happens, I have usually opened a note via Search, and, when done with it, clicked on a different notebook.) The only way I've found to get content back is to close and re-open the app. I'm on a Mac running OS 11.0.1 and 10.5.7 of Evernote. Also, I get spurious popups showing me that I am running the latest version of Evernote as though I had asked it to try to update.

I think the two symptoms are related. When the daily "what's new in 10.5.7" popup appears, it may be hidden behind other windows. While it is displayed, notes appear blank. When I discover and close the popup, the notes return to normal appearance.

The remedy of restarting OneNote may be coming about because the popup is hidden. If we don't see that popup, and see no other way to make the notes visible, we restart.

EN has been part of my worklife for years. Without a fix for two months, I'm now (reluctantly) looking to bail. Perhaps you could post a link to an older version so we can go back to a simpler, less buggy, version with "features" like retaining text without having to reboot?

My MacOS 10.15.7 and EN 10.5.7 build 2171 has all the symptoms described above.

13 hours ago, rdiddly said:

Interesting. I've "gone blank" after clicking a tag in order to filter my notes, so seems like a number of actions make this happen. And I too get the "you'e up to date" pop-up. I understand EN doing a background check for updates periodically but if there is nothing to tell us, then just keep everything under the hood, you know? The good news is that these are annoying things rather than mission critical deficiencies. The bad news is they thought they had the blank notes problem licked with 10.5.7 and clearly they didn't, so who knows how close this is to actual resolution.  

On 12/12/2020 at 7:17 PM, Eoin Woods said:

This is exactly the same problem I have with MacOS 10.5.0, beta build 2114.  When started, Evernote works reliably.  If the machine is left for a lengthy period (for example, overnight) then when Evernote is used the next time, this problem emerges.  Presumably due to the machine going into sleep mode. The screenshots from SunscreenAl and JackFritz show the problem accurately.

I'm a software developer by profession.  If anyone from Evernote would like to pair directly on this problem to investigate it on my machine and understand it I'm happy to do so.  I'm also happy to supply log files if that is useful.

We'd all really like this fixed.  Particularly those of us paying for Premium accounts!

Eoin.

Yes, this has been a huge pain in the ass. It happens to me multiple times a week and it's been happening for at least the last two months. I'm running the latest build on MacOs Catalina. No excuse for this going on for so long especially for those of us that are Premium subscribers.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've seen a some reports from users stating that all of their notes appear blank and wanted to provide some information that may help you manage the issue.

First, we are aware of this issue and are working to address it.

If you encounter this issue and this is the first time you've launched the app after updating, it may take some time for your notes to sync. Especially, if you have a larger account.

Additionally, please try quitting the app and restarting the app. Often, this will resolve the issue.

Also, if this is just affecting individual notes, and not all of your notes, please go here:

I've tried this restart several times and it doesn't work.. I have to kill the task and then it works but for a short while. Then it repeats

If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know on this thread.

I'll be follow-ing up here once I have updated information.

Thank you.

Ridiculous that nothing has been done about this in 2 months. This close to dropping EN since really the major appeal is easy synching between my phone and laptop. If I can't even use it on my computer then it's of little use anymore.

Macbook Air, running Catalina, 10.15.7

Evernote v 10.5.7 build 2171 public

Still have the blank notes issues recurring intermittently.

It is resolved temporarily by restarting Evernote.

But the problem returns after time.

Cannot pinpoint if there are any other contributing factors.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Austin G said:

Hey all. We've made some improvements to note loading in our 10.5 release. Please install it from https://evernote.com/download/. If this blank notes issue continues after updating to 10.5 please let us know:

• if the issue impacts all notes in the account. Check to verify if it occurs with notes in different notebooks 
  • If the about page is blank. Select: Help >  About 
  • If selecting File > Quit, (not the X icon) and reopening Evernote fixes the issue 

I am also experiencing having all blank notes on all three of my Macs running 10.14.6 This occurs not everyday and may happen when waking the Mac from sleep. 

This is not affecting me on iOS, only on my 2 iMacs and MBAir. 

So far I can quit and restart Evernote on my Macs and then the contents consistently appear. Log files attached. 

v 10.5.7 build 458420 public

This next is probably off threaded topic but I am extremely disappointed in the revisions to Evernote involving removal of shortcuts for building tables and inserting a checkbox and now checkboxes when ticked force strikethrough text to make it difficult to read what I've marked as done. 

Now, blank notes!! 

If Evernote keeps going this direction breaking and downgrading the app with "innovation", I will eventually be forced to replace my workflow from Evernote to OneNote or the Notes app. 

electron.log

• Evernote Expert
On 1/15/2021 at 8:43 PM, Meilo said:

EN has been part of my worklife for years. Without a fix for two months, I'm now (reluctantly) looking to bail. Perhaps you could post a link to an older version so we can go back to a simpler, less buggy, version with "features" like retaining text without having to reboot?

My MacOS 10.15.7 and EN 10.5.7 build 2171 has all the symptoms described above.

You posted on the Windows Issues forum but I think your solution for now is the same as for Windows. Of you are reluctant to switch, revert to the legacy version of Evernote. It will work as well as previously. The display issues will be resolved once the cause is identified. Until the legacy will allow you to! Maintain your old workflow.

• Level 5

@DrewMack Maybe you try the newer v 10.6.9. It is on the AppStore and on the EN website for the direct download. Else it is legacy, or both in parallel.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Posting log here makes no sense, we are other users and have no tools to crack down on the file. If you want to issue a support ticket, they maybe can make use of it - although from my experience they will first tell you to get the latest version.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:41 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for the update. To confirm, are you reporting that after ending app process in the task manager the notes are still blank immediately after reopening Evernote, or that the issue is temporarily fixed, but occurs again later in the day? 

I completely close Evernote and end all of the processes. When I open it back up, my notes are no longer blank. However, after a short while they show blank again. Other users in my office are reporting the same issue. We use Evernote all day everyday and it is driving our team absolutely nuts!

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having this issue - but it is inconsistent.  The first time it occurred (two weeks ago after upgrading), I had to reload the desktop app.  This last time it occurred (over this past weekend), I just rebooted and it fixed the issue.  Need to get this one resolved guys...huge inconvenience that will cause users to find another solution...

On 1/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

@DrewMack Maybe you try the newer v 10.6.9. It is on the AppStore and on the EN website for the direct download. Else it is legacy, or both in parallel.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Posting log here makes no sense, we are other users and have no tools to crack down on the file. If you want to issue a support ticket, they maybe can make use of it - although from my experience they will first tell you to get the latest version.

I'm using v 10.6.9 app on Mac OS v 11.1 [Big Sur] on 2019 Mac mini and also on 2020 MacBook Air.   I have had the 'blank notes' every few days including today Jan 31,2021. a close then open of the app restores views of all notes. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:04 AM, PinkElephant said:

the app has fixed it every time, but still takes time and is a concern that data may have been lost.

i've had this issue since sometime last year. i've just been restarting the app to get it to work again. relieved i'm not missing notes. am a beta tester but didn't notice this problem before, and sounds like that doesn't matter from this thread. but at this point, does have me wondering if my annual premium subscription is worth the hassle of having to restart whenever I want to add to any of my previous notes. i've loved evernote for a long time, so I would be really sad to leave. 

I'm on a mac big sur, copied my evernote version below. hope that this will be fixed soon, otherwise i guess i'll revert to apple notes. :(

10.6.9-mac-ddl-public (2254)
Editor: v116.1.14913
Service: v1.26.7

• Evernote Expert

These are the Windows forums but the issue is the same for us.  It is well known and reported. The EN staff are working on it and will, hopefully, find the cause.  In my case I've not been able to identify a set of steps that will consistently trigger the issue.  I'm currently working on the possibility that leaving the window open is the only common factor so I'm working to minimise to the taskbar everytime.  But I cannot tell for sure.  This weekend a new version (10.7.9) is rolling out.  No announcement yet but it appears to be available from the website and various app stores. Perhaps that will bring a solution. We can hope.

I don't hear any reports of data being lost in this issue.  It seems to be a screen display problem. That we are able to quit/restart and find everything supports that position.

• Shane D. changed the title to [Troubleshooting] All notes appear as blank in Evernote
  • Level 5

Hi All,

We believe updating to our most recent release, Version 10.7 will help to fix this issue.

If you haven't updated already, you can learn more here:
https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/173-update-evernote-for-mac-and-windows-107-is-here/

Please let us know if you continue to encounter this issue after updating to Version 10.7.

3 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

We believe updating to our most recent release, Version 10.7 will help to fix this issue.

If you haven't updated already, you can learn more here:
https://discussion.evernote.com/announcement/173-update-evernote-for-mac-and-windows-107-is-here/

Please let us know if you continue to encounter this issue after updating to Version 10.7.

I faced the problem again this morning, like almost every monday.  I have 10.7.6 installed.  The workaround is very easy for me, just restart evenote.  I normally don`t get the problem during the week.

image.png.b52a087a84528ecd0725e5be4c50150b.png

• Level 5

Then it probably needs a little more to trickle down to the Microsoft store.

The AppStores are under control of the respective platform owners (Apple, Microsoft, Google). Since they run some formal steps before the app is going live, the AppStores receive the update a few days later than the free download shows up on the EN web site.

Maybe check any other day.

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

EN can't push anything if an AppStore is involved. They can drop it into the inbox and hope it will come out at the other end in due time.

10.7.6 for Mac and Web is available, so it is in this case MS dragging its feet.

Actually @PinkElephant this is a regular issue with the push from Evernote in the desktop application rather than the one that comes via the Microsoft Store.  Ironically, the Store app usually rolls along pretty speedily but the downloaded app from the EN website is OFTEN very slow in rolling out.  So much so that I regularly just pop along to evernote.com and download the latest version.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You must separate the update message in the app from the availability of the new installer on the web site.

The update message is often delayed - maybe EN wants to prevent the server from being overloaded when a large number of users try to update at the same time. As you have observed yourself, often the new version is available, when you go looking.

Personally I think that it is not important whether you get an update a few days earlier or later.

We have all seen what happens when a high performance server pushes an app on all devices in reach: I would have appreciated a delay with the iOS v10 initial rollout. This came through the Apple AppStore, and was installed before anybody could ring the alarm.

So maybe a little delay can even do some good, occasionally.

• Evernote Expert

@Shane D. FWIW the blank note issue persists, for me, in Evernote 10.7.6 on the Windows desktop app (the download - not the Windows store).

Today I was looking for a specific note which I recalled was in my pending notebook. It wasn't so I clicked the inbox notebook and the notes were listed in the card view but no content would display from that point forward.

The issue always seems to follow a change of notebook for me.

• Thanks 1
On 2/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, tyoung77 said:

Why can't the software developers fix these bugs??

LOL. Usually because they can't reproduce them! Can't tell you how many times (at every company I've worked for) I've tried to fix things like that.

Honestly, this is really, really frustrating .. I have been a paying customer for a number of years then I quit once because I read a scandal article that essentially anyone at Evernote can read my notes. Anyway, this is not about that. I decided to give Evernote a second chance. Became premium member again. But now this issue is just killing me. Each time, each single time my Mac comes back from sleep (which is what I ALWAYS use on Mac) then Evernote would display blank notes. Not just that, even if I click on "About Evernote" that page is blank/white too! 

All notes are empty. And yes, full restart helps. BUT I DON"T WANT TO RESTART IT EVERY TIME... because the purpose of any notes software is that it's handy when you need it! And Evernote is NOT .. :( 

What happened to this product? 

aboutevernote.png

notes.png

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, SergeiM said:

All notes are empty. And yes, full restart helps. BUT I DON"T WANT TO RESTART IT EVERY TIME...

You shouldn't need a full restart at least not in Windows.  Just select Quit in the File menu and then relaunch the program.  Not a great solution but much less hassle than a full restart of the computer. Your screen shot looks to be a Mac OS result so you might find different solutions in the Mac forums.

Using the Win version...Like many of you I am still experiencing the blank notes problem. It's very frustrating having your work routine disrupted like this. A user on this forum suggested to open the task manager and go to the "Details" tab. Then scroll down to Evernote, right click and then end the task. Restart Evernote. That's worked for me each and every time. This problem has gone on long enough! I just may have to go back to Notion.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, agsteele said:

You shouldn't need a full restart at least not in Windows.  Just select Quit in the File menu and then relaunch the program.  Not a great solution but much less hassle than a full restart of the computer. Your screen shot looks to be a Mac OS result so you might find different solutions in the Mac forums.

When I say a full restart I mean "full restart of Evernote" ... As I mentioned - I left my Mac on sleep 99% of the time and when it comes back from sleep I want to Evernote to function without having to restart it each time. .. 

Reproduction steps for evernote -

1) start evernote

2) put Mac to sleep

3) wake up Mac ==> Evernot has empty notes. 100% reproducible.

• Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, JS UK said:

Windows 10 - 32 bit - 10.7.6 - still blank screen despite using all the work arounds. Please fix this Evernote or at least be honest as to what the issue is (older laptops 32 bit ??). 

I genuinely believe that the root cause of this issue isn't clear. There have been several attempts to fix and announcements that it is hoped a fix had been found but in the end not.

There does seem to be a link to machines sleeping but not solely.  I still get the issue after a PC restart and no sleep involved. Usually early in my working day after changing notebooks for some purpose. @SergeiM seems to have a consistent means of reproducing the issue as it affects him. But most of us are not describing the steps to reproduce with any detail and, in most cases, I think there isn't an obvious means to reproduce the result.

On 1/2/2021 at 12:17 PM, mylesroberts said:

Could not agree more with general sentiment that Evernote's value proposition is seriously degraded, Have been an Evernote evangelist and Premium subscriber since 2008, and at this rate will not be renewing in April. We pay for a service, we are not EN's QA team. v10 is just brocken. I fortunately did not delete the previous version so happily using that.  Typical where devs and UX designers think they know how their product is used. EN has serioulsy messed up and either take us for fools or don't care.

Looking for alternatives before I go back to work in the New Year. This is your final warning, Evernote.

Reinstall 'Legacy' (see the thread). I'm with you, but legacy works fine. If they can't get feature equiv. with Legacy , then it will be time to move on.  

Right now OneNote is no harder to work with that 10.x - it's that bad.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:25 PM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports. We're looking into this. 

When you restart the program, please try to open the task manager and quit all Evernote processes to ensure the app is fully quit. 

1.  Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC keys to open the task manager 
  2.  Select "More Details" to view the background processes
  3.  Select any processes with "Evernote" in the title, and end them
  4. Restart Evernote 

Those steps should fix the issue as a workaround while we look into this. Please let us know if that's not the case. 

The much easier solution is to reinstall Legacy until such time as the new version is robust.

The very existence of Legacy says much about the community response to 10.x.

From a dev. perspective this should have been a voluntary public beta. Forcing the upgrade was a massive fail. Maybe a MVP was confused with a viable product?

• Like 2

I cannot access any notes.  It is February 5.  I have rebooted my computer, and before doing that, I could at least see the sidebar.  Now nothing.  I pay for this and taking a month to address this is pretty poor.  I keep getting notices that I'm updated to the lates, and then it tells me what it can do, but I've got nothing to work with.  This has been off and on the case since I was updated to the newest version.  Please let me know something is being done.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mikeLowndes said:

The much easier solution is to reinstall Legacy until such time as the new version is robust.

The very existence of Legacy says much about the community response to 10.x.

From a dev. perspective this should have been a voluntary public beta. Forcing the upgrade was a massive fail. Maybe a MVP was confused with a viable product?

Thank you. I switched to legacy for now and it works just fine .. hopefully Evernote will do something with this otherwise it won't make much sense to stay as a paying customer.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:41 PM, Lemayp said:

@kewi Killing all the processes has always resolved this for me, but since several releases when I face the problem I can resolve it by simply doing a file->Quit Evernote, and then restart it.   Have you tried this before killing all the processes?

@Lindsay1234Have you been able to resolve your situation using one of the 2 approaches mentioned here?

any update to this? Everyone on my team has the same problem and actively looking for a replacement to Evernote now. Years of using the product and having to move to another product is really annoying. 

No issues for the last couple of weeks after upgrading to Evernote version 10.7.6 running under Mac OS 10.14.6. It's really nice not to have to hold my breath and cross fingers when I open notes.

MacOS 11.0.1 

Evernote 10.7.6-mac-ddl-public (2321)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Issue still occurs on Monday mornings after computer had a good weekend nap.

Not bragging but been lucky...no problem for several days running on Win 10. 

6 hours ago, rdiddly said:

MacOS 11.0.1 

© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Issue still occurs on Monday mornings after computer had a good weekend nap.

I recently received notice of an update. Unfortunately I am still seeing the blank note issue on Mac Catalina 10.15.7. In fact, it's slightly worse. I tried to capture the version information, and the About Evernote panel was also blank. After restarting Evernote, my notes appeared, and the version panel was populated with:

10.7.6-mac-ddl-public (2321)

All was going well for a few days, until I entered search mode. Then the blank window problem showed up! Instead of working on my proposal due next week I am once again telling EN that this software, which I pay for, sucks!!

As another user stated when this problem occurs ALL of the windows are BLANK. How much information do the developers need to identify this problem? I know modern software is not simple FORTRAN like back in the day but this is ridiculous!

It appears that EN only listens to the footsteps of the customers walking away. 

Suggestion. Fix the software before adding more bells and whistles. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
37 minutes ago, tyoung77 said:

All was going well for a few days, until I entered search mode. Then the blank window problem showed up! Instead of working on my proposal due next week I am once again telling EN that this software, which I pay for, sucks!!

You should opt for the legacy version of the software if v10 doesn't work for you yet. You get everything you paid for in the legacy version.

In versio 10.8.4 there is a troubleshooting option to Reload.  I think that is likely to resolve the blank screen issue temporarily.  But that won't provide a permanent fix until the tech guys have located the cause of the issue.

• Level 5

Hi All,

We've added another set of improvements that should help to resolve this issue in our most recent release, version 10.8.

If you haven't already, please update to this version, and let me know if the blank notes issues continues.

• Evernote Expert
6 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

We've added another set of improvements that should help to resolve this issue in our most recent release, version 10.8.

Thanks Shane.  Sadly, the issue still seems to be present, for me, in version 10.8.4

FWIW, I've narrowed down the issue to the following couple of common factors.

It only happens after starting Evernote following either a sleep or reboot for the first time in a new day.  So it will only be an issue first thing in the morning.  It is then triggered when I've been looking at a note then click away to another note. THis can be by selecting the next note in the snippet column or by going to the Home Screen and choosing a note from there.

As ever Quit/Restart brings the content back.

I have the problem on my desktop, which is older, but not my new Dell XPS 15. I can put it to sleep and wake it up, no problem at all. But the desktop behavior is similar to what is described in the quoted. The legacy version works fine but the editor stinks.

I've been having issues getting Evernote to open since yesterday. I get a blank page once I've entered my login information. Later I got a blank page when I clicked on the link to login to Evernote web from the home page. After deleting my cookies and browser history, and restarting my computer and phone (the app is up to date, I had it sync multiple times today, emptied the trash, and made sure I only had 2 devices) I was able to get to the login page, and enter my login information again, but am still stuck with this completely blank web page. This is so frustrating, and I've never had issues before, but this is making me consider deleting my account all together.

image.png

Oh well, my mac is a custom configuration (latest 2020 with 64GB RAM and i9, etc). So, it's definitely not a matter of older vs newer hw ...

It's a matter of - enabling proper debug on Evernote side (which doesn't exist?) . Collect data (since it's reproducible). And resolving the issue. Instead of saying - ok, we released one more patch - see if it helps. Makes no sense to me. (Just in case - I have been developing Enterprise software since 2005, so,  I know what I'm saying because you develop 20-30% of time and the rest is DEBUGGING and helping your customers to get the best out of your software and not vice a versa). 

• Like 1