(Archived) [Troubleshooting] All notes appear as blank in Evernote

Go to solution Solved by Austin G,

• Level 5

Hi All,

I've seen a some reports from users stating that all of their notes appear blank and wanted to provide some information that may help you manage the issue.

First, we are aware of this issue and are working to address it.

If you encounter this issue and this is the first time you've launched the app after updating, it may take some time for your notes to sync. Especially, if you have a larger account.

Additionally, please try quitting the app and restarting the app. Often, this will resolve the issue.

Also, if this is just affecting individual notes, and not all of your notes, please go here:

If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know on this thread.

I'll be follow-ing up here once I have updated information.

Thank you.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

From what I recall, I have experienced this on almost every monday morning when my laptop hasn`t been used during the week-end.

My laptop is in hibernate mode every time I don`t use it (current states is saved to disk and resume when I start using it).

After 2 days of hibernating, when I attempt to "continue" to use Evernote on monday morning, all notes would appear as blank, no exception.

The only solution I have found to this problem, is to kill all the evernote process.  Cleanly quitting and restarting Evernote hasn`t resolved the problem (there are still process running) for me.

Is there any settings I should set Evernote to attempt to get extra client log information to better investigate this based on the above comment?

• Like 2

This issue only started after the forced rollout of your new version 10.2.

Ever since the new version of the app was rolled out, all my notes appear blank. I have quit and restarted the app 10 times. I am tried to use Evernote on the browser. All my notes are blank and won't load. When will you fix this? 

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I've seen a some reports from users stating that all of their notes appear blank and wanted to provide some information that may help you manage the issue.

If you encounter this issue and this is the first time you've launched the app after updating, it may take some time for your notes to sync. Especially, if you have a larger account.

Additionally, please try quitting the app and restarting the app. Often, this will resolve the issue.

Also, if this is just affecting individual notes, and not all of your notes, please go here:

Thank you.

I've opened Evernote every day this week and I can see the notes but I can't edit them or when I create a new one, I can't type anything.

• Like 1

I too experienced this problem after upgrading to the new 10.2 Windows client.  New notes created in the client were fine, but older notes created in the previous version just appeared blank in the content window.  I went at least a week, avoiding the new client but checking periodically and the problem did not go away.  In the meantime I used the web and my android device a couple of times where I was not experiencing this issue.  Suddenly yesterday, the problem seems to have resolved in the new Windows client.  I am glad but this experience was a bit disconcerting.  Monitoring this thread in hopes that an explanation will be provided.

On 11/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, Lemayp said:

From what I recall, I have experienced this on almost every monday morning when my laptop hasn`t been used during the week-end.

My laptop is in hibernate mode every time I don`t use it (current states is saved to disk and resume when I start using it).

After 2 days of hibernating, when I attempt to "continue" to use Evernote on monday morning, all notes would appear as blank, no exception.

The only solution I have found to this problem, is to kill all the evernote process.  Cleanly quitting and restarting Evernote hasn`t resolved the problem (there are still process running) for me.

Is there any settings I should set Evernote to attempt to get extra client log information to better investigate this based on the above comment?

I am running Premium on a Windows desktop that was not hybernating like the laptop above, but, it *is* Monday, and I resolved the "blank notes" issue by killing all Evernote processes from Task Manager.  This is the second time that Evernote has acted up for me in about a month.  The last time the exe just VANISHED.  I had the client pinned to Task Bar for daily use, but clicking on the icon lead to absolutely nothing.  The program also disappeared from Program Files AND there was nothing to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs.  So I re-installed and that worked OK, until "blank notes" this morning.  A little disturbing.

I am running Premium on a Windows desktop that was not hybernating like the laptop above, but, it *is* Monday, and I resolved the "blank notes" issue by killing all Evernote processes from Task Manager.  This is the second time that Evernote has acted up for me in about a month.  The last time the exe just VANISHED.  I had the client pinned to Task Bar for daily use, but clicking on the icon lead to absolutely nothing.  The program also disappeared from Program Files AND there was nothing to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs.  So I re-installed and that worked OK, until "blank notes" this morning.  A little disturbing.

• Like 1

Basic Info:

Evernote desktop version 10.2.4.1949

Windows 10

Installed: October 29, 2020

I have been experiencing the problem for about a week. Probably since the update but I don't know that for sure.

Issues I'm Experiencing:

The notes content is visible in the preview list but not in the note. I have tried double-clicking the notes to open them individually and I still get nothing.

Neither restarting the program nor restarting the computer fixed it.

From the help menu, clicking "About Evernote", "Check for Updates", and "Release Notes" all result in blank pop-up screens being displayed. I've waited as long as 10 minutes for something to show up before closing the windows.

The good news:

My notes are present in both the Android and Web versions of Evernote. However, I'm normally in the desktop version every day so it's a serious inconvenience.

Screenshot:

Notes not showing in frame but do show in preview panel. The pop-up screen is supposed to be release notes.EvernoteNotesNotDisplaying.thumb.png.e6db561ae1fc0255e5e3c10226f3182f.png

• Like 3

I have v10.3.6. The pop-up is showing contents yet the preview panel is still blank. Although we have some workarounds, like using Android/Web version, this issue is really causing some inconveniences. It would be nice if it can be fixed sooner.

image.thumb.png.c8e0bf9167f7339f1cfdd64aa2e9af4b.png

• Evernote Expert

Sadly, mine have not resolved with v10.3.6

Almost immediately after the update arrived I conducted a search. I clicked on the first of the notes in the results and it was blank. Thereafter all the notes were blank.

Quit/Restart enabled access to the note content.

Problem has recurred, after a couple days without problems upon installing the latest version. Restarting the app did not solve the problem.

A note app like Evernote is critical to my work. The reliability issue we are discussing, along with excessive nags to upgrade to more expensive version, has me actively evaluating alternatives. I have happily paid for Evernote for many years, but the value proposition is rapidly waning.

• Like 2

First after updating my notes were gone... I had only a menu bar and a white screen. No notes. I closed the application. I rebooted my laptop. Now the application will not reopen... not from the taskbar, not from desktop, not from the file manager, nothing. I am also extremely displeased with the new format and what it has done to web clipped content, which is 90%+ of my content. I need to find out if it is possible to revert to the previous version. Thankfully I can access my notes on the mobile version, but creating new content there is harder. Hoping for a quick resolution!

This started happening to me every few days after the horrible redesign. Every 3-4 days I'll switch to the app and all my notes will be blank and I'll have to restart Evernote to get them to show up. The breaking changes in this redesign are really starting to get to me, anyone have a good alternative? After years of using Evernote I sadly think it's about time to move on.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Karen Page said:

First after updating my notes were gone... I had only a menu bar and a white screen. No notes. I closed the application. I rebooted my laptop. Now the application will not reopen... not from the taskbar, not from desktop, not from the file manager, nothing. I am also extremely displeased with the new format and what it has done to web clipped content, which is 90%+ of my content. I need to find out if it is possible to revert to the previous version. Thankfully I can access my notes on the mobile version, but creating new content there is harder. Hoping for a quick resolution!

I reverted to the Legacy version as 10 won't work, and even before it completely broke itself it lost all the functionality I used in the prior version. I did not uninstall it yet, as I want to be helpful if support responds.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:37 PM, aldona77 said:

This worked for me, for now... Had the same issues, couldn't access notes or type. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is ridiculous. Also after the recent upgrade I'm regularly getting this issue with notes showing up blank.

HORRIBLE quality control. I can't believe Evernote was ok shipping something with so little QA. Absolutely unprofessional. These are NOT mistakes, these are management decisions around priority and where to put resources - if they cared about the quality of their product, they would have invested in enough QA to ensure it actually meets any remotely acceptable standards. They didn't, instead they are hoping to sneak by and offload this pain on their end users. Shame.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have this problem, but its the WHOLE evernote that is blank. No sidebar, no notes, notebooks, nothing what so ever. The only thing I see is a top menu bar with the standard drop-down menus of the program and a white window beneath it.

Its been open first time after the big update now for an hour without any change. I cant find any sync option in the menus I have available

it is on win 10, evernote version10.3.7

Please help

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 8:01 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you.

Reinstalled the newest version. It happened again. Then reinstalled it again. It happened again. The newest version works great-- until you click on a tag to view its contents. Then all of the contents within ALL of the notes turn blank. Forever. Even when viewing "All Notes". Closing the program, removing it, and reinstalling it all fail to resolved this.  Doesn't happen on computers with the older version. Also, doesn't affect the web version, which works fine. Attaching a screen shot. You can see the second note down is highlighted but its contents are blank. thx

Evernote .jpg

I had the same problem after upgrading to version 10 on Windows 10.  I currently have 10.4.3.  Immediately after updating, my notes were appearing fine.  After a couple of days, when I started Evernote, all the notes were blank.  I could create a new note, but not enter anything into the new note.  When I tried to open the About Evernote window, that was also blank.  Stopping and restarting Evernote did not help.  Ending the task from Task Manager did not help.  Finally, I restarted my computer.  Now Evernote is working.  We'll see how long that lasts.

- Eric S.

I have the same problem.

This is NOT the first use after downloading the new version.

The notes content in miniature are visible in the card view

The notes content are present on the web.

Re-starting the program does not resolve the problem.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 2:47 PM, handvc said:

I have this problem.

In Help menu, choosing "about Evernote" yields a popup with no content.

I'm running 10.3.7 on Win 10 PC.  I've been using v 10+ for several days.

No issues until this morning.  I found this thread and .....

I killed all Evernote processes and sub-processes, restarted it, and now I can see and edit the notes.

One thing to note is that when I installed v10 it installed into my appdata\local folders.  The previous version is still in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\EvernoteProgramfiles.  THAT previous version works fine.

Same problem. ALL note content is blank. I have been using the new version for a while, so I don't think it is a syncing issue. 
I work with Evernote primarily on the desktop app and the same problem exists with old and newly created notes. 

Restart (of app or computer) does not fix the problem. 
If I uninstall and re-install, the problem is resolved, but occurs again in just a few days. 
Note content is still present in the web version.
I submitted a support ticket with Evernote logs and screenshot. 

Running Evernote 10.3.7 on Windows 10 Laptop and having this very same annoying problem every week where my notes are blank.

When is the fix come into action, before I go back to legacy option.?

And talking about option, where are the options?

Tx

9 hours ago, Jesperben said:

I had the same problem. Apparently it was solved by installing version 10.4.3 (I hope it doesn't come back...)

I had the problem starting when I updated to 10.4.3.  So, not solved.

- Eric S.

• Thanks 1

Same issue.

Windows 8 machine; Evernote 10.3.7. 

In general, due to this and other issues, I am having to log out and back in at least 3 times a day if not more rending the main reason I have it on my desktop as an app I use all day every day pointless. I am very close a serious breakup with Evernote which will leave me crying for weeks. 

I have same problem.  Ever since updating and it is terrible - I start phone calls and can't pull up notes from my last call.

it is SERIOUSLY BROKEN - please advise what to do to make all my shared notes sync and be available when I need them.

Even the "release notes" box doesn't display correctly.  Sometimes restarting fixes it. 

This time I was able to restart and fix it:  "Evernote v10.4.3 build 2071 public, on Catalina on a Macbook Pro"

image.thumb.png.59926ac710199015d9b06f073863aa02.png

Edited by mgonline
add version info
On 11/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you.

All of my notes are Blank, its still not fixed.  I've tried all of these with no success. 

On 11/5/2020 at 2:38 PM, Lemayp said:

This solution worked for me.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2020 at 2:38 PM, Lemayp said:

Same thing here. It happened to me again today. Restarting my machine is a massive pain when I'm working and have other open documents and sites. But killing all Evernote processes seems to have done the trick. Thanks @Lemayp!

• Like 1

I too was getting blank pages in my notes. I tried to fix it by deleting the app from my PC laptop and then reinstalling it from the Google Play store. However, Evernote will not let me do this. It seems to think that I still have Evernote on my computer. What can I do about this?

It may help to know that I'm a Premium subscriber and that my Evernote apps on two other devices of mine are working fine.

Thanks,

Steve A.

Sigh so this is happening to me too. I'm on 10.4.3. 

By the way this is my first post ever on these forums, have been an extremely happy and silent premium for most of the last decade and I feel really betrayed by this *****. 

I know there's a strong contingent of die-hards who denigrate people who are complaining here or suggesting that we move to other apps, and understand that from their perspective all this is not constructive and should just be patient. I get where they're going but it doesn't change the reality that Ver 10 is user unfriendly at best at plain unusable at worst, and that many of us have been inconvenienced by it.

I also don't feel like "just stick to Legacy and quit complaining" is a solution either, since this is like ignoring the lifeboats on a sinking ship and heading instead to a section that isn't wet (yet). 🙁 

On 11/5/2020 at 8:01 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you.

I've lost count of how many times I've quit, logged out, restarted computer, and explored the menu to fix this issue but nothing helps. The web version works fine, but the desktop version shows a blank screen with only the menu, no notes and no way in the menu to see all notes.

I've seen the post by Shane D on 5th November. This is clearly affecting a lot of users - paying ones included and myself included.  What I haven't seen is any attempt to update us on progress (if any) to this nightmare.  25 days is quite enough time to sort this out and provide an actual software update that allows us to continue normally.  I know 'stuff happens' - but this is now unacceptable.

• Like 2

I'm also affected by this bug. I'm using Evernote 10.x on Windows and beside that issue it's also much slower than Version 6.7.6 i'm using on another machine. I do support evernote regarding redesign of the whole application but now i feel like downgrading to version 6 is the better option right now 😞

On 11/29/2020 at 6:41 PM, TracyT said:

Same thing here. It happened to me again today. Restarting my machine is a massive pain when I'm working and have other open documents and sites. But killing all Evernote processes seems to have done the trick. Thanks @Lemayp!

On 11/24/2020 at 10:52 AM, agsteele said:

I have an open support ticket and the indication is that there is hope for a fix in version 10.5 - not a promise but an indication

Me too. The only solution we have is to close Evernote and to kill all Evernote process you can see in the task manager.

I have the same problem

The following is the evernote log

[2020-12-01 10:48:09.835] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error:  (-2) loading 'app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c'
    at rejectAndCleanup (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:225:1288)
    at WebContents.failListener (electron/js2c/browser_init.js:225:1505)
    at WebContents.emit (events.js:223:5)
    at WebContents.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:475:20)
    at WebContents.emitter.emit (C:\Users\SamHorwitz.Gershon-PC\AppData\Local\Programs\evernote-client\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@sentry\electron\src\main\integrations\electron.ts:78:18)
    at WebContents.topLevelDomainCallback (domain.js:130:23)
[2020-12-01 10:48:38.224] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 9 url: app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c
[2020-12-01 10:48:38.388] [error] boron:MenuBuilder Error during building menu for window type 1 with id 9: TypeError: Object has been destroyed
[2020-12-01 10:48:58.046] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 10 url: app://evernote/boronAbout.html
[2020-12-01 10:49:02.708] [info] boron:client:analyticsLogger {"language":"en","client":"evernote boron","clientBuild":"2001","clientVersion":"10.3.6","screenSize":"1094x665","timezoneOffset":"18000","deviceId":"650559322","browser":"unavailable","browserVersion":"unavailable","deviceMake":"unavailable","deviceModel":"unavailable","deviceType":"desktop","platform":"windows","platformVersion":"6.1.7601","screenResolution":"1152x864"}
[2020-12-01 10:49:03.089] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error:  (-2) loading 'app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c'
    at WebContents.emitter.emit (C:\Users\SamHorwitz.Gershon-PC\AppData\Local\Programs\evernote-client\resources\app.asar\node_modules\@sentry\electron\src\main\integrations\electron.ts:78:18)
[2020-12-01 10:49:41.408] [info] electron:externalbrowser Generated url: https://www.evernote.com/setAuthToken?auth=AUTHTOKEN&targetUrl=%2FSettings.action%3Futm_medium%3Dwin%26utm_source%3Devernote_app
[2020-12-01 10:51:11.929] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 11 url: app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c
[2020-12-01 10:51:12.013] [error] boron:MenuBuilder Error during building menu for window type 1 with id 11: TypeError: Object has been destroyed
[2020-12-01 10:51:36.869] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 12 url: app://evernote/boronAbout.html
[2020-12-01 10:51:42.152] [info] boron:client:analyticsLogger {"language":"en","client":"evernote boron","clientBuild":"2001","clientVersion":"10.3.6","screenSize":"1094x665","timezoneOffset":"18000","deviceId":"650559322","browser":"unavailable","browserVersion":"unavailable","deviceMake":"unavailable","deviceModel":"unavailable","deviceType":"desktop","platform":"windows","platformVersion":"6.1.7601","screenResolution":"1152x864"}
[2020-12-01 10:51:42.167] [info] boron:client:analyticsLogger {"language":"en","client":"evernote boron","clientBuild":"2001","clientVersion":"10.3.6","screenSize":"1094x665","timezoneOffset":"18000","deviceId":"650559322","browser":"unavailable","browserVersion":"unavailable","deviceMake":"unavailable","deviceModel":"unavailable","deviceType":"desktop","platform":"windows","platformVersion":"6.1.7601","screenResolution":"1152x864"}
[2020-12-01 10:51:42.504] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error:  (-2) loading 'app://evernote/boronAutoUpdater.html?initialMode=confirmationDialog'
[2020-12-01 10:52:36.227] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 13 url: app://evernote/boronAutoUpdater.html?initialMode=confirmationDialog
[2020-12-01 10:53:10.569] [error] boron:mainApplication unhandledRejection Error:  (-2) loading 'app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c'
[2020-12-01 10:53:13.347] [info] boron:WindowController Closed the window with webContentsId: 14 url: app://evernote/boronPopupNote.html#feec64ab-9fa2-42fd-b279-eb4ed508ad8c
[2020-12-01 10:53:13.461] [error] boron:MenuBuilder Error during building menu for window type 1 with id 14: TypeError: Object has been destroyed

I am having the exact same issue on two different Windows laptops, closing application, shutting down laptop, does nothing. It's gotten to the point that even when I try to check my version of Evernote, that screen comes up blank too. Will 10.4.4 solve this issue at all, it is extremely frustrating. Right now, I can only use the web app for my notes.

This is very annoying. I have been taking notes here for months now and in the last few weeks have my notes scattered everywhere because EN does not open at all. I am a paid user and this is not what I expect from a premium app. Can you please fix or refund?

I rather take notes on paper than EN which is failing with a basic functionality of taking notes.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

If you haven't already, please update to version 10.4.4.

Please let me know if the issue still persists after this update.

I received 10.4.4 last week and once again I experienced the problem on monday morning.  So far, I faced this problem almost every monday morning.  Not a big deal since I can quit/kill the evernote processes as a workaround, but the situation is still there.

I followed the advice of one of the respondents above and cleared all instances from my Task list, which included a process from the legacy version. There were a lot of processes, some of which restarted after I ended them. I just kept clicking until they all closed. When I re-started the program, Evernote opened along with an update dialog. Previously, that dialog had opened as a blank box. I just clicked the X because I didn't know what it was. The updated Evernote re-started and is working properly.

I am experiencing this issue on WIndows 10 (all latest updates installed) as well.  Fixed it by uninstalling the Evernote app, redownload from the MS app Store and install, re-login and the GUI is working correctly.  I have had to do this a few times since the latest SW update.

Hope your SW devs can fix this SW bug ASAP...a BLANK WYSIWYG is a FAIL!

v 10.4.4 build 55 public
Editor: v112.1.14477
Service: v1.23.6
© 2019 - 2020 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

I'm having the exact same issues as someone else else on this thread, so I'm going to just copy and paste their issues (thank you!):

I have this problem.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, gxg said:

i have the same problem on both of my Macbooks running latest MacOS. After wake up from sleepmode/hiobernate all entries are empty. Only restarting of Evernote helps

This is exactly the same problem I have with MacOS 10.5.0, beta build 2114.  When started, Evernote works reliably.  If the machine is left for a lengthy period (for example, overnight) then when Evernote is used the next time, this problem emerges.  Presumably due to the machine going into sleep mode. The screenshots from SunscreenAl and JackFritz show the problem accurately.

I'm a software developer by profession.  If anyone from Evernote would like to pair directly on this problem to investigate it on my machine and understand it I'm happy to do so.  I'm also happy to supply log files if that is useful.

We'd all really like this fixed.  Particularly those of us paying for Premium accounts!

Eoin.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:47 AM, handvc said:

I have this problem.

I have the same exact symptoms. I can no longer use Evernote, for ANYTHING on my PC. Fortunately I have not updated my laptop and will definitely not. My Android devices are working. The web app works so that is how I am editing notes on my PC now. At least I have that workaround.

PLEASE FIX THIS!! Put this ahead of adding new features OK?

My wife has all kinds of issues with her iPhone. We thought a new iPhone would solve the issue but her brand new one has issies as well. So now she prints out her grocery lists before heading to the store. She doesn't trust the App anymore. Sometimes when she brings up notes on her iPhone they get corrupted. Ugh!!

Anyone know of a more stable alternative?

On 12/13/2020 at 5:24 AM, mark.betteridge said:

So I rebooted my pc overnight running Windows 10 and Evernote 10.5.0 and I get this for Evernote... nothing.... Have rebooted the pc twice, all software is upto date.. Will use the web version for the time being, but please fix this
image.thumb.png.fca32c020e2f88c3661f4fdb59650c6a.png

Thanks for reporting. Can you submit your activity logs to us so we can take a better look? 

To send all activity logs, please follow these steps:

1. Open the Evernote app.
2. Go to **Help > Activity Logs > Save As...** from the menu bar.
3. Type "Evernote" as the file name and click **Save**.
4. Feel free to DM the logs to me. 

On 11/5/2020 at 7:47 PM, handvc said:

I have this problem.

I had the exact same problem as above. And @Nick L. I could initially not follow the instruction in your post immediately above mine to send the logs, because in the same way that choosing "about Evernote" yielded an empty popup, so did the activity logs Save as dialogue.

However, simply right clicking on the Evernote tray icon and choosing quit and then restarting the program fixed the problem. I could therefore download the logs and will now DM them in case they are useful. Some people in this thread (clearly not everyone as some are clearly restarting) may not realise that closing all Evernote windows does not actually quite Evernote.

• Ex Employees
22 hours ago, Eddie_1999 said:

After upgrading the windows app I've been having the same problem as stated above .

Thanks for the update. Please reply with your activity logs. 

1 Open the New Evernote for Windows app
2. Select Help > Activity Logs > Save As
3. Attach them here or send them to me in a DM 

thanks!

On 11/5/2020 at 3:38 PM, Lemayp said:

Thanks for the tip to kill all processes! I saved your answer as a Web-clip. Ironically, if this happens again and I've forgotten, I won't be able to read your solution in Evernote. :)

As for why this happens to me, I'm guessing that I load Factorio and leave it running for days...it's plays havoc with all my apps, even after rebooting.

Cheers,

Mitch

• Ex Employees

Hey all. We've made some improvements to note loading in our 10.5 release. Please install it from https://evernote.com/download/. If this blank notes issue continues after updating to 10.5 please let us know:

• if the issue impacts all notes in the account. Check to verify if it occurs with notes in different notebooks 
  • If the about page is blank. Select: Help >  About 
  • If selecting File > Quit, (not the X icon) and reopening Evernote fixes the issue 

Ok so I just had the blank note problem again on the latest version. :(

I was using the editor, then just selected another note from the preview pane (I have it on the left side as Snippets if that makes any difference to you) and the note didn't load into the editor - just a blank screen. Then I tried clicking on other notes within the preview pane and none of them would load in the editor. The editor always rendered completely blank. I will add that I have images, text, and tags selected as preview options in the note picker section, and these all render ok in preview pane, but again - the editor itself is completely blank. As before, when I shutdown EN and then restart it, the problem resolves itself and the editor renders notes correctly again. So for me on a Mac at least, whatever you released in this latest version did not fix the bug. 

v 10.5.7 build 2171 public
Editor: v114.1.14753
Service: v1.25.2

• Like 1

Really disappointed by the last electron based overhaul version. There are so many issues with design (the search doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old version!) And the dreaded blank screen issue is infuriating. The native Mac app was perfect, you ruined it. What a shame. At this point I won't be renewing my premium sub.

Again, the change to search is just bad. It's not user friendly. I suggest UX go back to what the old search did and really understand the way it worked from a user experience. The new one on Mac is hidden on the left and doesn't work the same.

Requiring a force quit of the app to fix notes which are blank just sucks.

/Rant

I have continually had this problem for a few updates and it continues today.

I am premium subscriber running 10.5.7 on a Mac with 10.15.6 Catalina. 

I get blank notes if I return to my open Evernote app after some time away (don't know how long it takes to happen) until I restart Evernote.

Is it logging itself out of Evernote?  is that the problem?  This is incredibly annoying

• Like 1
On 12/21/2020 at 10:40 AM, cmartin44 said:

Ok so I just had the blank note problem again on the latest version.

Me too, but on Windows, I had the issue on monday morning.  Normally I would have the issue first thing on the monday morning but not this time, so I assumed that the problem could have been resolved.  Meanwhile, an hour or so after starting my day, I faced the problem once again but couldn't investigate it fully since I was at that time on a rush at work and I needed Evernote to work immediately.  So I did File->Quit, like I used to do everything the problem occured, and restart Evernote to see my notes content again.

I'm using v 10.5.7 build 2171 on windows 10 and it still has the same blank window problem discussed above and which I've been experiencing for over a month.  Completely shutting down evernote (using 'Quite Evernote' on the file menu) does restore the functionality when you start again, but after setting for a few hours, it does it again.  When will this get fixed?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

This is an issue which the EN support folk tells me is on its agenda. I think that it is proving difficult to identify the triggers.

I had started to think that, for me, it was always first thing in the day.  I had hoped that the issue was connected to me putting my PC into hibernate rather than shutting down completely each day.  Sadly, I'm not sure that is now the case.  I tried shutting down each day since the 19th but I'm not sure that this has helped.

About the only consistent thing is that if the issue will occur it will be when I have to trigger a screen redraw inside Evernote 10.  Yesterday I was playing with various options and tried the top list view.  It wasn't what I needed so I switched back to the normal three columns and bingo, I had blank notes. The standard Quit|Restart brought everything back.

Sadly, from a diagnostic point of view, that isn't working every time. And nothing appears in the program logs at the time of the incidents.

• Like 1

I keep having the same issue when I can see the notebook and notes, but when I try to open notes the note is blank (white). Same for every note. This happened right after the last update. So it's been a while now. How do I solve this?????

On Dec. 16 staff member Austin G wrote
If this blank notes issue continues after updating to 10.5 please let us know:
    If the issue impacts all notes in the account. Check to verify if it occurs with notes in different notebooks
    If the about page is blank. Select: Help >  About
    If selecting File > Quit, (not the X icon) and reopening Evernote fixes the issue

I'm using Windows 10 and running Version 10.5.7 Build 2171 Public, which as of this moment is the latest version available to download. The answers to Austin are Yes, Yes, and Yes.

This has been going on for weeks now. Why did this suddenly become a problem when you had perfectly good software before you updated it? I can't believe you're charging nearly $100 a year for this service and a) you let this major bug slip through your pre-release testing and b) you're taking this long to fix a program that has become virtually unusable.

This is intolerable.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, kewi said:

I have this same issue.  Windows 10 - killing all Evernote processes in Task Manager has fixed the issue, but from previous comments it seems this may only be a temporary fix.

@kewi Killing all the processes has always resolved this for me, but since several releases when I face the problem I can resolve it by simply doing a file->Quit Evernote, and then restart it.   Have you tried this before killing all the processes?

@Lindsay1234Have you been able to resolve your situation using one of the 2 approaches mentioned here?

My usual fix for 10.x blank note issues of killing all the processes hit a new problem today with Evernote starting new processes in the background while i was killing others.   

The other (not) amusing step backwards is that the "hey this is a new release and look what's changed" box that sometimes greets me in the morning is also coming up blank. Thankfully the kill all the evernote procs fix gets rid of that blank dialog

Could not agree more with general sentiment that Evernote's value proposition is seriously degraded, Have been an Evernote evangelist and Premium subscriber since 2008, and at this rate will not be renewing in April. We pay for a service, we are not EN's QA team. v10 is just brocken. I fortunately did not delete the previous version so happily using that.  Typical where devs and UX designers think they know how their product is used. EN has serioulsy messed up and either take us for fools or don't care.

Looking for alternatives before I go back to work in the New Year. This is your final warning, Evernote.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I also have this issue.  It's fine on my Android phone and tablet, but not on my desktop (Windows 10) - it's driving me crazy.  I can't even check for updates as that box comes up blank as well....