Checkboxes and Numbers

Jamie L

Idea

I'm on Mac > Catalina 10.15.7 using the newly updated Evernote. In the old version, if making a numbered or checkbox list, when you hit return, the next number or checkbox popped up. For some reason in the new version, the checkbox doesn't pop up. I have to click the plus sign and click "Checkbox" for. every. item. (arg!) I use a LOT of checkboxes. Not sure why it still works for numbers but not checkboxes. 

I also noted on my iPhone iOS 13.7, that there is a weirdness with the checkboxes. When viewing a previously created list, if I add to it, the green boxes slide to the right a few pixels and turn black. I'm one of those people who likes consistency. Either they should all be green or all black. I don't know why they are doing that. 

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Jamie L said:

For some reason in the new version, the checkbox doesn't pop up.

This is a known "feature upgrade"
For checkboxes in a list, we're supposed to use the checklist feature
With checklists, we don't get numbered or bullet lists

My task lists are a jumbled mess of green and black checkboxes right now after updating Evernote for Mac. And the keyboard shortcut to add a checkbox that I've used for years doesn't work anymore. Good to know that [ ] works as a shortcut, but why didn't the new version just update my checkboxes so they all look consistent?? Do I need to update them all myself?

This is still happening. I hope to update to Big Sur this week. Will that fix this problem? It drives me crazy that they are not the same. Then when I move them to the done list, I have green boxes with big x's and some are scratched out and grey. Why are they different? 

2076311489_ScreenShot2021-01-05at6_31_27AM.thumb.png.057dc64c548393ed0978e4fa90b5fe43.png

5 hours ago, Jamie L said:

This is still happening. I hope to update to Big Sur this week. Will that fix this problem? It drives me crazy that they are not the same. Then when I move them to the done list, I have green boxes with big x's and some are scratched out and grey. Why are they different? 

There are now two different types of "boxes" in Evernote v10: checklists and checkboxes. You are inadvertently mixing them, probably because EN will convert a checkbox into a checklist in some situations. The following article explains the difference between the two. Most people transition to using exclusively checklists, which will keep things consistent.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005597-Create-a-checklist

• Like 2

Autoformatting and autocorrection in v10 from paragraphs beginning with checkboxes to checklist (with strikethrough-behavior) ist not an issue, it is a design "feature" of the actual v10-version. So there is no hope that this behavior will be changed or "fixed" or removed.

If you want to use list with checkboxes instead of a checklist with strikethrough behavior, just like me in some cases, there still is a simple solution and workaround:

Just begin your list-paragraphs with a single space before you add your checkbox - by the way: fastest with the markdown-command "[]".
This will break and stop the autoformat and autocorrection from list with checkboxes to checklist ...

• Like 2