(Archived) using evernote for local file links

Yes, this is a known issue. It's intentional on Evernote's part because they are worried you will fly into a confused rage when you discover that this link only works on the original computer but not on a second computer to which you sync your notes. So instead of letting the link work on one computer but break on the second computer, they prefer to have the link not work on any computer.

Something about consistency and hobgoblins...

Note: there is a workaround in windows.

1. right-click the file you want to link to. click "create shortcut"

2. drag and drop the shortcut into the en note.

RESULT: clicking on the shortcut file that is embedded in the note will launch the original file on the original windows machine.

Sounds like a training issue. Why penalize the users that do understand how links work? I do understand the reasoning, but perhaps there could be a warning or something.

It is nice to use local links as long as poeple understand them, for instance any local links in my work notebook would apply to my work computer.

Also if local folders are set up the same, then it can be the case that the local links will work on multiple computers.

Sounds like a training issue. Why penalize the users that do understand how links work? I do understand the reasoning, but perhaps there could be a warning or something.

It is nice to use local links as long as poeple understand them, for instance any local links in my work notebook would apply to my work computer.

Also if local folders are set up the same, then it can be the case that the local links will work on multiple computers.

a good example would be if you map a drive letter to your dropbox, and you keep it the same on all computers.

• 1 month later...

Seems to work now with 11156. Thank you very much!

One lingering complaint is that if you click on a link that is broken it doesn't give you any indication that it worked or didn't. Would be very nice to have some kind of error, location not found or something.

Archived