Where are PREFERENCES?! Keyboard shortcut settings?

@PinkElephant this is not a tiny bug that can be simply skipped, postpone for better time...

This is a critical fundamental error in the project! Thousand of users using Polish-programmer keyboard layout (probably 99,9% of users in Poland) cannot use Evernote. 

Many of those users have premium subscription.

You did the mess. And you are going to do nothing about it? 

@PinkElephant it is not about missing Preferences itself. They grab system-wide shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+S) without asking user. And now we cannot use Evernote anymore

• Like 9

If there is someone from Evernote actually paying attention:

I discovered today that I have no longer settings on the Mac app. How you dare pushing an ALPHA level app? We, users, are using this to get things done. We don't have time for this.

I'm really done, cancelling my subscription right now.

• Like 2

I am premium user from Poland.

With the new version 10 I was withdrawn from services I have paid for. I am not able to write in Polish language any more.

This is strange that you want to exclude all Polish customers. Help me, please, to understand your reasons.

Regards

• Like 8

To clarify -- the problem is with GLOBAL KEYBOARD SHORTCUT. So with Evernote 10 installed you cannot use the Windows system! Not just Evernote. People cannot use their Windows. This is because every time you try to write "ś" in any application, Evernote pop-up appears

Evernote working in background is hijacking basic keyboard usage. This is definitely true for Polish speakers. Possibly also for other languages like Finnish, Czech, Slovak etc (all those having diacritics with s).

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I can't believe Evernote is modifying GLOBAL SHORTCUTS without giving the user any options?  This is a complete deal breaker as Evernote shortcuts I NEVER use conflict with code editor shortcuts I use constantly.  Reverted to Evernote 6.25.

I agree.  I downloaded and installed the new Windows version today.  From my perspective, the decision to not allow for preferences was a mistake.  Selecting font size and keyboard shortcuts were two features I deem as necessary.  I wish I had read updates more closely.  I am moving back to the old version ASAP. 

If anyone from Evernote is reading these, please don't force everyone to update prior to adding preferences back.  

• Like 3

First look: New version with dark theme - WOW? Finally! 

After half of an hour: Trying to use Ctrl + Alt + S (shortcut "Save as" in my NP++) and evernote screenshot grabber appears. 

After more 5 minutes: No settings at all?! WTF!?! Come on, it cannot be true!

This is a FAIL. I'm from Russia btw, but after reading comments from Polish users I wonder who made this "wise" solution in Evernote to publish this brandNewVersion??

Fix it ASAP because you risk to lose a lot of users, this is inappropriate...

P.S.: Who needs Evernote shortcuts above system shortcuts by default??

• Like 7

F3 to tag is still inconsistent in 10.3.

It works once then I go into the note body and type away, then hitting F3 does nothing. I switch to title with F2 that works, try F3 again, nothing, go back into the note body, try F3 again nothing.

Click on the note, try it there, stops working.

Please fix F3 so we can switch to Tags and away from tags quickly, anytime as long as a note selected.

8 hours ago, Vladimir84 said:

P.S.: Who needs Evernote shortcuts above system shortcuts by default??

I have absolutely no idea :lol: I was always wandering about it - who on Earth need such shortcuts. Turning all them off was literally the first thing I was doing after fresh installation. OK, I left one of them - global shortcut for "Find in Evernote". But that's all. 

Agreed, very difficult to use if you're a premium user on Windows - I have also lost the ability to clip the screen and paste it. Such an unfortunate update. I have since reinstalled the legacy Evernote and updated my shortcuts. Disgusting update. 

• Like 1

Similar issues, I use multiple languages and not having access to customization is a critical error.
This is not just a preference - you have made Evernote UNUSABLE.

Going back to the legacy version and if this nonsense is not fixed I will have to unsubscribe.

• Like 1
This is what I get for trusting the product and taking any updates...

Shipping a feature incomplete beta as an official update is unacceptable. They obviously knew what they were doing, since Evernote Legacy is a thing. I'm glad it's there, I installed it right away, but it seems like they're just gauging interest for the missing features by seeing how angry the userbase would get. Those tactics are common in free software, but they're not acceptable on a paid service.

Internal Links don't work with Evernote Legacy, so even if I stay there, I'm losing features...

I've been a Premium user for 7 or so years and this is the first time I'm actively looking at alternative services to migrate to.
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, but my problem is in the other end of the spectrum. The shortcut I used the most is the AltGr+V, which creates a new note with whatever I have copied before, and it's not woking. I can't find if it's been removed or changed to another shortcut.

Any ideas, @PinkElephant?

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, TK0047 said:

10.5 seems to have brought bunch of keyboard shortcuts back

I've posted elsewhere that I like the new ctrl + / feature but that they don't all work as advertised. For example I can't get alt-ctrl-4 to work ever. Still lots of work to do here.

Hello, could you please solve the keyboard shortcuts issue? Let users to change/disable them? It is in conflict with other apps I use. For the first time in many years, I have to quit Evernote before working in Adobe InDesign, this is pathetic!

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

We begged for a decade for text styles, finally got them, but at the cost of... program preferences???

I can't use the computer while Evernote is running! The first thing I did on a new Evernote install was to disable all the keyboard shortcuts. Many of them are mapped to things in the Finder in macOS! I keep trying to do things in the Finder, only to have the Evernote menubar icon open up and ask if I want to do something with Evernote.

"If I did, I would be working in Evernote, not the Finder."

I simply have to quit Evernote when I'm not actively using it, as it takes over the computer with its 78 thousand keyboard shortcuts that I have never wished to use.

"The ability to use the software will return in a later update."

???

Just updated to version 10.5.7. Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl +/) added. Really? Are you serious? I even don't want to know about these key combinations, I just want to DISABLE them at all!!! I don't need them! What's wrong with you? Evernote, don't you hear your customers completely?! We are paying money to use your software!

More than 2 monthes have passed after 10.x version release and you still didn't add this simplest and essential feature.

It's hillarrious, ridiculous and awful at the same time, shame on you, Evernote. It's called total disrespect to your users...

13 hours ago, Vladimir84 said:

Just updated to version 10.5.7. Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl +/) added. Really? Are you serious? I even don't want to know about these key combinations, I just want to DISABLE them at all!!! I don't need them! What's wrong with you? Evernote, don't you hear your customers completely?! We are paying money to use your software!

More than 2 monthes have passed after 10.x version release and you still didn't add this simplest and essential feature.

It's hillarrious, ridiculous and awful at the same time, shame on you, Evernote. It's called total disrespect to your users...

and it's only designed  with querty keyboards in mind...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a graphist and ctrl + alt + S is a shortcut in all my soft... When i make this shortcut, evernote appear and my soft don't react...

To use it i have to kill evernote from the task manager; then i have something to write so i re-open evernote and i have to kill it again on the task manager

to easily use my softs... Really convenient!!

Same problem here - crtl + S makes me unable to use Evernote as a polish user. Hope you are able to modify this issue.

Just let users modify the shortcuts as it was in previous versions. The solution is as simple as that.

• 3 weeks later...

This is really disgusting!!! Many months have passed and nothing changed on this level 😵

I am premium user since many years ago, however I am more and more disappointed as Evernote simply became money making dinosaur without a capacity to hear their users.

I am suggesting to anyone having this issue and anyone else to keep their money in their pocket and go for some open source alternatives:

https://opensource.com/alternatives/evernote

I am sick of these companies who starts their journey with "we first have users in our mind...bla...bla...bla" and then they become the utmost techno bigots!!! 🤮🤮🤮

• 1 month later...

When will U fix this TERRIBLE MISTAKE??? If U have a non Spanish keyboard and U want to use the spanish ñ character... guess what U need to do in Windows... Alt+Ctrl+n.... What happens now??? Very time that I want to do that I get a new Evernote note!!! How to get rid??? Closing Evernote!!! What Am I paying for evernote then??? I don't know... I have to close it from the tray....  because someone really smart removed preferences (Preferences??? Whats that? ....a really strange feature in any app....)

And why the hell do U keep articles like this on your web:
Keyboard shortcuts in Evernote for Windows which is outdated (by going to Tools > Options > Shortcut keys from the menu bar.) and not accurate (really clever to state 

New version Older versions, instead of versions > XXX) r

On 3/10/2021 at 2:14 PM, AugustoP said:

If U have a non Spanish keyboard and U want to use the spanish ñ character... guess what U need to do in Windows... Alt+Ctrl+n.... What happens now??? Very time that I want to do that I get a new Evernote note!!! How to get rid???

You can change all of the Evernote global keyboard shortcuts. Either press ctrl-/ or use the little keyboard icon at the bottom of the sidebar (the icon is new in 10.9.10). 

image.png.027d8d549301392394933645862aac24.png

(by going to Tools > Options > Shortcut keys from the menu bar.)

You have only quoted part of the sentence. If you read the whole sentence is clearly says "in older versions of Evernote". It would be useful if they had explained what to do in V10 but there is nothing incorrect in what they have said.

In older versions of Evernote, you can redefine these shortcuts by going to Tools > Options > Shortcut keys from the menu bar.

I have to close it from the tray....  because someone really smart removed preferences

I must be blind this morning because I can't find this option in the legacy version. I thought that you have always had to use the elephant icon in the system tray if you want to close EN completely.

• 2 weeks later...

You have GOT to be [kidding] — Evernote now takes over the keyboard with no ability to alter that?

Sorry, I won't be running the desktop client until this major [foul]-up gets fixed. And if it drags on, I'll be looking for alternatives, notwithstanding that I've been a premium subscriber for many years.

JFC.

• Sad 1
On 3/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, dctoedt said:

You have GOT to be [kidding] — Evernote now takes over the keyboard with no ability to alter that?

As described in this thread all the global keyboard shortcuts can be switched off or changed.

• Like 1

Now I see it — I'm still PO'd, because A, it's not discoverable in the way Mac users expect (i.e., a configuration setting in the Preferences menu), and B, I shouldn't have to scan through a long thread to find the answer. This is yet another example of Evernote's questionable UI choices