November 2nd Incident - Issues logging in to Evernote

Go to solution Solved by Ruben Jimenez,

At approximately 3:30PM Pacific Time today, the Evernote service was updated with a change that prevented some customers from being able to log in to Evernote using Evernote Web and the new versions of Evernote for Mac and Windows (versions 10.0 and above). This was resolved at approximately 4:30PM Pacific Time. 

Though the issue has been resolved, any customer who logged in during this time may still experience issues logging in to Evernote for approximately the next 12 hours. To log in to Evernote immediately, you can delete the local Evernote database on your computer and allow Evernote to redownload it. Please exercise caution when following the steps below, and thank you for your patience.

Evernote Web

• Clear the cache and cookies for the last 24 hours on the browser where you were using Evernote.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Re-open the web browser and log in to your account at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action.

Evernote for Mac (v. 10.0+)

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Finder.
  • In the menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder....
  • Paste ~/Library/Application Support/ into the text field and click Go.
  • Delete the "Evernote" folder.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open Evernote and log back in.

Evernote for Windows (v. 10.0+)

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Windows Explorer.
  • Type %appdata% into the text field and click Enter.
  • Restart your computer.

I am truly starting to wonder what's going down at EN these days....massive communication mistakes around the relase of the new apps...stripping away many core features for significant chunks of the (paying) subscriber base...and now even the basic operational stability of the app & platforms is becoming shaky it seems...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi. There is also a bug on IOS. With the new version, once you open the app, the updates quick vision show up on the screen. However, then the app doesn't allow to close the update screen and access the app. Therefore it is impossible to access or use the app at all.

Can't find Evernote when this opens %appdata% and directs me to roaming, it's not listed among the programs there. 

I really don't have time for all this, it's extremely disconcerting, what about all my records, are they safe?

Please just fix it, I mean I paid for this service.

Thanks,

Vay

• Like 1
3 hours ago, toao said:

I am truly starting to wonder what's going down at EN these days....massive communication mistakes around the relase of the new apps...stripping away many core features for significant chunks of the (paying) subscriber base...and now even the basic operational stability of the app & platforms is becoming shaky it seems...

I agree.  I am having issues nearly everytime I load the Windows desktop app... load time is very slow (10 seconds or more) and is often times unresponsive for a few seconds before completely loaded.  The mobile app makes me log in every single time I open the app and inline images in older notes are usually not available.  Very frustrating.

Are you guys no longer in the business of apologising for major failures, errors and inconveniences to customers, free and paying? This is kind of a big deal - and while a notification of something going wrong is fine (it's self-evident when you can't log in) I'm a bit concerned that you guys think just letting users know is sufficient. 

Why did it happen? What are you doing to ensure it doesn't happen again? 

11 hours ago, gbarry said:

At approximately 3:30PM Pacific Time today, the Evernote service was updated with a change that prevented some customers from being able to log in to Evernote using Evernote Web and the new versions of Evernote for Mac and Windows (versions 10.0 and above). This was resolved at approximately 4:30PM Pacific Time. 

Though the issue has been resolved, any customer who logged in during this time may still experience issues logging in to Evernote for approximately the next 12 hours. To log in to Evernote immediately, you can delete the local Evernote database on your computer and allow Evernote to redownload it. Please exercise caution when following the steps below, and thank you for your patience.

Evernote Web

• Clear the cache and cookies for the last 24 hours on the browser where you were using Evernote.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Re-open the web browser and log in to your account at https://www.evernote.com/Login.action.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Finder.
  • Restart your computer.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Windows Explorer.
  • Restart your computer.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, gbarry said:

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Finder.
  • Restart your computer.

@gbarry:

My database is not at this location. (app V 10.1.7 downloaded from App Store)

It is in ~/Library/Containers

IIRC the evernote app version downloaded directly from evernote.com creates a database in

~/Library/Group Containers

(PS I'm sure we all sympathize with how you must be stressed by the current dust-storm at EN. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will be sorted out: my database of 30,000 notes has taken several years to create and I use EN all the time for my work. Deep breaths.)

• Thanks 1

Now 11.03.2020 10:30 AM ish central time.

I am having the same major software issues.  

A project I am working on will need Evernote reliability.  

I agree with customer concerns that are listed above.

A support ticket has been submitted and 10 days (up to) will not help the project to move forward.

From above:

(PS I'm sure we all sympathize with how you must be stressed by the current dust-storm at EN. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will be sorted out: my database of 30,000 notes has taken several years to create and I use EN all the time for my work. Deep breaths.)

• Solution

Hi everyone,

The issue is now fully resolved by either refreshing your web browser page (Evernote Web) or quitting and relaunching your Evernote app (Mac and Windows).

The steps initially provided to re-download your Evernote database are no longer required or recommended.

Thank you all again for your patience and understanding, and apologize for any trouble this may have caused.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2020 at 9:14 PM, Ruben Jimenez said:

Hi everyone,

The issue is now fully resolved by either refreshing your web browser page (Evernote Web) or quitting and relaunching your Evernote app (Mac and Windows).

The steps initially provided to re-download your Evernote database are no longer required or recommended.

Thank you all again for your patience and understanding, and apologize for any trouble this may have caused.

Er, not it isn't  - 2 or 3 days optartion and - BANG -  white screen on opening again - no notes no notebooks no stacks - just the default windows menu - and whitespace.

Evernote - white screen again.jpg

I've had this issue on Evernote Mac for 5 days.

One of my Macs:  All is well.

The other:  Evernote won't load.  Uninstalling and reinstalling won't work.  Quitting and restarting won't work.  Evernote Legacy *does* work.  

Brand new release and it won't even load, with zero tech support attention?  (I submitted a ticket 5 days ago). DEPLORABLE.

Now 11/9/2020

EN desktop was working and now not /was/ now not...

Cash_Boston is absolutely correct.

This is my first time to use this communication tool and my original note was unpinned??? Amazing? What are the ground rules?

On 11/3/2020 at 4:03 AM, gbarry said:

Evernote Web

• Restart your computer.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Finder.
  • Restart your computer.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Windows Explorer.
  • Restart your computer.

I just realized that EN staff did not even apologize for the outage...for me it sounds like an admin e-mail to the colleagues in tech voice. This is not the way you talk to appreciated customers. Something strange is going on at EN....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 2:11 PM, tim.bushell said:

And nice try - in hiding this "help"  in almost 6pt font in pale red within a page of lots of nice bold bright green 24pt titles... ... ever thought of customers?  No apparently not.

So updated to desktop under W10... ... version  10.4.3 and it took 11 restarts to get the opening of Evernote, so WHEN IS THIS GOING TO BE FIXED? Simple question, truly simple.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 10:03 PM, gbarry said:

Evernote Web

• Restart your computer.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Finder.
  • Restart your computer.

• Quit the Evernote app.
  • Open Windows Explorer.
  • Restart your computer.

This is not solved. Please acknowledge that this does NOT fix the issue. 

Evernote_2020-12-22_08-39-19.png

Evernote Staff - I finally found this post after googling for a fix after days of not being able to log in. 

Don't you think prior notification or closed environment testing prior to your 'update' would have been a thought?

I mean, we pay good money for this product FFS - or at least we did until I join the mass exodus and transition to an alternative product following your V10 update utter garbage.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, Ruben Jimenez said:

Hi everyone,

Still not working on the mac app... Are there any new solutions?