[Fixed in Version 10.6] IOS Importing Clips not working "Clips remaining"

Paulen2

Idea

46 replies to this idea

I have the same problem on the same setup but with 26 clips remaining. Has made Evernote unusable until they fix this super buggy version. 
As a premium user for many years, I’m not impressed at all and actually angry. I raised a support ticket nearly a week ago but still no response. Not good enough Evernote!

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

same situation for my on my ipad. Several clips are stuck.  

One could delete and reinstall the program but I do not want to loose the clips.

Raised a support ticket as well.

Obviously unhappy.

• Like 2

Premium user here, too --- and yes, this same thing is happening to me, as well.

Clipping is central to what I do with Evernote, so if anybody has any tips, or if there is a workaround, I would be eager to know.

• Like 2

Same issue for me. Trying to save a PDF from an email in a Notebook and the message I get is 'Importing 'File Name" I clip remaining'. But it never imports the file.

Basically the new version has rendered the whole point of using Evernote pointless. I am a premium user about o become an Ex.

• Level 5

The clipping process is now 2-step: Clip to some intermediate memory, where clips are stored until the EN app is opened or brought to the foreground. Then taking the clipped content from the memory, convert it into a new note, if no title was entered create an auto-title, save the new note.

Probably there are limits to this intermediate memory stack.

So it is advisable to switch to the EN app every several clips (maybe 5 or so), open it and let the processing of the new clips run. Then force a sync by pulling the side bar down a little and let it go. First you know after this whether the clipped content made it (sometimes web sites clip weird stuff, or do not clip at all) to a note, and second it straightens out the procedure and empties the intermediate memory.

This is not saying you must be happy about this, but better take a workaround than end up sorry. EN v10 is really not running on afterburner .

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I did (eventually) get a response from Evernote on Twitter regarding the clips import issue:

Thank you for getting back to us and for your patience awaiting a response. 

I can confirm that the issue you're experiencing is one that should be resolved in 10.2, which will be released soon. You may find that the content will be imported before then. Otherwise, you can expect this to be fixed upon updating. 

I apologize for the inconvenience on this. I'm personally experiencing the same on my own Evernote account, so I know how frustrating this is. 

If we can assist with anything else in the meantime, please let us know. 

To all the Evernote Premium users I sympathise. I am a mere Evernote Plus user and I am disappointed at the severity of some of the bugs and usability. I hope the next update addresses some of the major issues.

... Next to find a solution to Evernote opening the maps app every time I start Evernote on iOS...bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I had same problem, saying 8 clips importing but never actually doing it.  These were clips from 2 days ago.  I cannot simply reinstall app because I can't lose them - I don't remember the exact content links and work-related (I rely on clipping so I don't need to remember!).  Just leaving the app open on my iphone didn't work (don't have ipad), tried doing this many times over a couple of days, but the iphone app would just close (& sometimes seem to freeze/crash). 

Anyhow, this seemed to work for me: I closed down every single app by double-clicking Home button, then shutdown my iphone, restarted it & just opened EN app, left it open, and when came back from shops it had successfully imported everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Whatever you will share from any app to Evernote will not appear there if you use 10.2 on an iPad Pro. All you get is a message about the import with rotating circled arrows and the number of clips waiting to be imported. This will take forever, the import is not being processed.

052A57C0-4066-450F-972C-BCC368A2453E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Whatever I import on my iPad Pro 10.5 (iOS 14.2, EN v10.2) is imported. With the new release I don’t even see the import box for more than a fraction of a second on most imports from sharing. It really got faster than the prior versions.

This is what I see. If you don’t see it, probably you have a bad installation to fix.

So uninstall the app, dumping all data, shut the iPad down completely, restart it (Apple logo must show), reinstall the EN app, log in and now let it sync before you start using the app.

20 minutes ago, Paul B. said:

Bloojean: Deinstalling and reinstalling the App presumably loses the clips that have not yet been imported?

-- yes. In deinstalling and reinstalling the app, I basically signed off on losing those 9 or so clips that had been tying things up since the upgrade. 

• Level 5

Well, probably one of these „lost“ notes contained something EN did not like. In general it is better to switch between other apps and the EN client while sharing, to keep import going and avoid a queue. iOS devices are a little short on RAM, so it is not a good strategy to fill a data buffer like the sharing function too much.

Switching between apps is not the best workflow, but still better than getting stuck with a lot of data lined up.

have tried restarting device, deleting trash, nada. happened the same 2 weeks ago and ended losing all unsynced clips....hugely annoying for 10 year premium customer. anyone get any thoughts, help as would love to have these clips

thanks 

Andrew

• Like 1

Im a premium subscr since years ago. Now evernote just hangs up with a black banner saying that there are 27 clips to be updated. How to overcome the issue? Besides, most of the clips are incomplete. Another issue is that evernote doesn’t sync across all the devices i have.

thank you all for a possible solution to my problems.

How do I use the Web version to see the clip that is blocking everything else? I also rely on the clipping all the time, and don’t want to lose my 8 pending clips. I just want to trash the clip that’s stopping all other imports. Very frustrating.

• Level 5

The clip queue is not „There“, it is part of the sandbox in which any app in iOS is running.

AFAIK there is no access to this „content in transfer“. Not from the sharing side, because for the source App the share is done. And not from the receiving side, because the shared content has not yet been integrated into the apps own data base.

IMHO You can just treat what is stuck as „lost in translation“. Uninstall the app, dump all data, Switch the device off and back on again, reinstall the app, log in and wait for the initial sync to run. The stuck content will be lost, but you get the EN app back to work.

9 hours ago, dzurn said:

How do I use the Web version to see the clip that is blocking everything else? I also rely on the clipping all the time, and don’t want to lose my 8 pending clips. I just want to trash the clip that’s stopping all other imports. Very frustrating.

Did you try my method posted November 25, 2020?  It worked for me

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gejjer said:

Did you try my method posted November 25, 2020?  It worked for me

I tried it three separate times and it never changes. The import is a single page web clip so it seems like it will never finish for whatever reason.

i just want to delete that bad clip and import the rest of the stuff I’ve clipped in the last month that’s hung up.

• Level 5

If the method described above did not work, you can only uninstall, switch the i-device completely off and on again, reinstall, login and let it sync before starting to use it. The stuck content will be lost - but again: It can't be retrieved, because it is sitting in a little sandbox, where nobody can reach. Even updates will not make it reappear, and you continue to have a dysfunctional app.

If you don't trust our experience, issue a support ticket.

Thanks for all the people who suggest to deinstall then reinstall the app. I’ve tried this, and the app syncs again. But i’d say that: 1.All the pending notes are lost after the reinstall. 2.The new clips mostly are incomplete. 3.For me, the desktop app is not synced all the time (frustrating!).

I decide not to quit Evernote for now, but which alternatives do you suggest?

It was a pleasure to use the app. Now it’s a pain! (2 and 3 above)

Again, thank you all for the deinstsll-reinstall process.

• Level 5

Desktop: Have you yet tried legacy ?

iOS: When data get stuck between apps, it is usually lost. This is not specific for EN. The sandboxes iOS is using restrict access to these data containers.

The problem with EN iOS was that shared data got stuck pretty often. Since 10.4 I did not have any more problems with this.

If you just need the information of a web site, without hyperlinks, you can print it to a pdf, and save this instead of trying to clip the site. I use this often with iOS, and usually copy the URL into the new note to make sure I can go back.
  • Thanks 1

As others have said, I have been a premium user since 2012.  As an instructor, consultant in the real estate industry, I frequently taught classes on Evernote to Realtors and promoted it to hundreds and hundreds of agents, many of whom signed up for it.  I retired two years ago, but still use it like every day for my own projects. The fact that this latest version will not clip articles from the web or work with Acrobat and other products is disgraceful. Every time I open Evernote, I see more and more clipped pages that are supposedly being imported, but never are. What is more of a shame is Evernote’s silence on this matter. I have had no response from them to probably half a dozen emails on the topic that I have sent ever since this problem began. Now, I have even had a few phone calls from Realtors who were ex-clients.  They are asking me if I know what the problem is.  Embarrassingly, I do not. I am very particular about products and services that I endorse, and this is just not like Evernote to act in this manner.  I am very disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Ex Employees

Hi @PapaCr,  if you force quit the app (don't reinstall), then reopen it, do the clips import and complete the sync on the version you're currently on? If they do, please then update to 10.6 where we have fixes that may help resolve some import process issues going forward. If you're already on 10.6 and they still aren't importing even after a force quit/reopen, please save your logs and get in touch with our support team so we can take a closer look with you.

This is ridiculous -  Importing stuck and continues to spin.  Makes EN unusable.  Trying to save another doc and can't because other one keeps spinning - I don't even want to save the other note I want to cancel Evernote!!!!! Please help.  I can't even find a way to cancel it.

I have had it for years and have liked it but this is *****.  This issue has been going on for MONTHS!!  I have tried turning phone off.  Deleting app and reinstalling etc and nothing works. 

• Level 5

Most likely there is some content stuck in the import queue, which blocks everything behind it. The only solution I know is to completely uninstall the app, dump app data in the process, then switch the iPhone completely off to clean memory, switch on again, install the EN app, login and let it sync.

All queued data will be lost.

To avoid this to happen, I open the EN app every few clips and wait the import to happen. After the import there are green symbols attached to the new notes. Wait until they disappear, then the sync to the server has happened as well.

• Sad 1