How to remove the Evernote icon from the menubar (macOS)

Pucicu
Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Idea

Hello,

since last update, the elephant icon of Evernote is sitting in my menubar. I neither need nor use it there. But there is not option to remove it. Apps should come with such an option. Is there a way to remove it from the menubar or is it planned to include such option to the Evernote preferences?

Thanks

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 replies to this idea

• Level 5
  • Solution

Oh, fine, your answer to „How do I remove the EN icon from the Macs menu bar“ is „Quit using EN“.

Can tell you: It WORKS - although it may be a bit radical just to get rid of the little icon.

• Like 1

I also need to be able to disable the Evernote Helper on Mac.

Here's why:

1. I never use it
  2. The key command interferes with the Mac Finder command for "New Folder with Selection"
    • I usually leave Evernote open all the time because I use it so much, but now I have to remember to open and close it to avoid this conflict. What a pain!
  3. It uses system resources
  4. I believe strongly that I should have options
  • Like 3

This is so so so necessary. I can't believe that Evernote, that I pay premium service for for years, has such unintuitive, clutter-y choices in this latest update. PLEASE GIVE US THE ABILITY TO TURN OFF THE ELEPHANT ICON IN MENU BAR! I'm looking into Bartender but it's LUDICROUS to have to purchase a new application to switch off an icon of an app we pay premium membership to. The fact there is NO WAY TO SET PREFERENCES in this latest update is maddening. 

• Like 1

Not that it matters to anyone but me, but I have removed Evernote from my devices and cancelled my Premium account. Various issues - from Spotlight searches not finding Evernote text to the company not allowing us to remove their applet from the Menu Bar, to the lack of Preferences, etc. - have caused me to do this. 

I am now using Apple Notes which is very reliable and more than sufficient for my daily needs, and DEVONthink for the heavier lifting, such as research. Others' mileage may vary, but I'm very well served with this new set-up.

I have enjoyed Evernote since 2008, really appreciate Ian Small's increased communication with the user base, and admire his vision for the future, but alas, the rollout of all these changes has left me without features I need and want for too long. I wish the company well. But it no longer works for me.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Pucicu said:

Is there a way to remove it from the menubar or is it planned to include such option to the Evernote preferences?

This is the Evernote Helper app
Can't say about future plans; it was an option in the Legacy version
The application can be quit using the Activity Monitor app

• Like 1

Thanks! I have checked this but there are several "Evernote Helpers":

4569 ??         0:04.35 Evernote
 4572 ??         0:00.96 Evernote Helper (GPU)
 4573 ??         0:00.38 Evernote Helper
 4575 ??         0:02.45 Evernote Helper (Renderer)
 4591 ??         0:04.32 Evernote Helper (Renderer)

Killing the simple "Evernote Helper" or the "Evernote Helper (GPU)" simply causes that these Helpers are restated automatically as a new process. Killing the "Renderer Helper" crashes the complete Evernote app. Moreover does it remove the icon from the menubar. 😒

• Level 5

The BigSur control center is pretty locked up. The functions allowed in are currently device functions or some of Apples own apps, like the music player.

Widgets can be placed in the notification center, below the date&time field.

Currently The EN v10 app on MacOS has practically no settings. If you want to have control over the helper function, install legacy.

Hi Rogbar,

thanks for your comment. Have you been able to migrate your notes smoothly? This is the biggest hurdle to migrate to another tool, I guess. I had already tested "Boostnote" and if Evernote will not improve, will migrate to this tool (in combination with a cloud service, because I need it synced with another device).

Best wishes

PS: I good feedback from Evernote support. They claim that some missing features would be included in the future. But then, this is new version is not even a beta version, it is an alpha version, isn't it? Quite bold to introduce such a premature update then.

Migrating was not particularly hard. I exported each Evernote folder to an .enex file, and then imported them into Notes. One caveat: if you rely more on Tags than Folders, be aware that your Evernote tags will not transfer over to Notes. 

I didn't use Tags very much, so it wasn't a problem for me. If it is for you, you could probably write a script to add a tag-string into each note that belongs to a particular tag ... or maybe even export notes grouped by tag instead of folder.

In any event, it was relatively painless, and I'm very happy in Apple Notes.

Same issue, I do not need or want this in my menu bar, all other 3rd party apps have an option to remove it but this latest release of Evernote has taken away most all preferences. It's a continuation of the constant issues/bugs/unaddressed concerns of users that pay for this app.

Thanks for your insight @rogbar, I've been trying to figure out away to move on from Evernote for quite some time now. Very interesting.

I've been a paying customer for many years, and always have been looking forward to new usability features, but it seems to be moving backwards.
Hey Evernote, one more stupid change like this and I am migrating away.
Bring back proper references now or lose one more customer.

feel free to migrate to another much better solution. I gave up evernote and use something different since a few weeks.

evernote has become unusable. not only because of the missing preferences but also of strange new editing concept which is reducing the efficient work.

+1000

Please Evernote give us an option to remove the elephant from the menu. This is the elephant in the room for your users.

The macOS desktop app has really been slipping lately. Weird design changes, bugs galore... now this icon business. Looking for another note solution, if I'm being honest.

Can only agree with the criticism, please definitely integrate an option in Evernote to be able to hide the annoying and completely superfluous Evernote icon in the top right of the menu bar.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Not one I would know about.

Depending on the MacOS version there are ways to reduce the menu bar items. In BigSur some can be switched off or moved to the new control center by MacOS settings.

For all versions there are menu bar managers like Bartender that will take care of what shows and what is moved to a hidden second level.

• Level 5

Agreed - v10 is still very short of settings. The prior client had the option - but it meant the „EN Helper“ was then switched off completely.

App icons can’t hide by themselves. It is by the OS, or with more control by a menu bar app. Bartender is a paid software, others may come for free.

Evernote, please fix your app. No one needs evernote to be in the menu bar, it's superfluous. Not to mention unhelpful.

I'm a developer, and this is a super small programming problem, and it's causing a load of inconvenience. The fact that they have ignored this issue this long tells me they don't care about customers, they care about market share.

I will be transitioning to another software if this is not fixed in 30 days.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 4:38 PM, Evernote Fix Your Stuff said:

Evernote, please fix your app. No one needs evernote to be in the menu bar, it's superfluous. Not to mention unhelpful.

I'm a developer, and this is a super small programming problem, and it's causing a load of inconvenience. The fact that they have ignored this issue this long tells me they don't care about customers, they care about market share.

I will be transitioning to another software if this is not fixed in 30 days.

Cannot agree more with you. I have been an Evernote user since 2013... and quite frankly the poorly designed UI/UX and lack of true innovation is upsetting.  Not to mention the overall clunkiness of the app lately. The EvernoteHelper and Menu bar issue are pretty much where I decide I'm going to start exploring other solutions.

I switched the older Legacy version, which is a superior product!   Now I don't have that stupid elephant in my top menu status bar. I can also have multiple notes open in tabs....in their latest version of the software I could not figure out how to have tabs again and spent about an hour trying to find an answer online, then gave up.

This is fine for the users who want to use it. For a lot of users, including me, the unnecessary Evernote icon in the bar is just annoying. It would be desirable that you can disable this in the settings under macOS. 

In other words, it is an indictment of Evernote that such a basic feature is still not available.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, add101020 said:

the unnecessary Evernote icon in the bar is just annoying

Personally, I can't get too upset about an icon   
Memory usage is a bigger concern

• Like 1