Evernote deleting forum posts critical of their failings

I assume this post will be promptly deleted as well but there was a long thread over the weekend in the Announcements forum discussing the failure of Evernote to provide timely support for their paying customers.  They deleted all of the posts and locked the thread this morning, but a number of people made good points in that thread.  Let’s continue that discussion here.

If Evernote wants to retain their paying customers they have to do better.  Taking weeks to reply to support tickets and then deleting posts when people are unhappy about it are no way to run a business.  People can chat outside of forums that you control and if you continue to provide broken software and poor support you will lose your business eventually when a viable competitor comes along.  You’ve just been lucky so far that none of your competition is good enough to peel off many customers.

Note that I have nothing bad to say about the actual support engineers who are doing the best they can.  The issue is with management being deaf to customers and not properly staffing the technical teams. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, amaiman said:

I assume this post will be promptly deleted as well

On the contrary, I'm surprised at how tolerant Evernote is of posts in this forum
Not sure if users should be posting in the Announcements forum

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

On the contrary, I'm surprised at how tolerant Evernote is of posts in this forum
Not sure if users should be posting in the Announcements forum

They should have locked the post to begin with if they didn’t want replies.  The fact that they left it there until this morning means that they’re not paying very close attention to these forums.  (The posts I was referring to were replies to their announcement of support delays with no information on how they’re going to resolve them going forward.  “We’re sorry” isn’t really good enough, they have to actually fix the problems.  Hire more support engineers if you can’t answer tickets within 2 weeks.  I’m sure plenty of people are looking for a remote IT job right now.)

• Confused 1

This is an extreme stretch! These forums are littered with posts that most companies would delete! There are even ones about which competitors to change to along with the best ways to do it! No, I don’t think there is any censorship going on here, although should Evernote decide to do so that would be their right. Some topics have been merged with others but that’s the only type of moderation I’ve observed here. 

Evernote have had a lot of fair criticism recently but this isn’t one of those. 

• Like 1

well, two of my posts were among the ones deleted, but I do not so much see censoring in that but an oversight, that EN did not want that post to be open for comments to begin with. when they realized it was and they were also pushing forum users to read it as it was announced in the top line of the forums when you log in, they corrected their mistake. they simply didn't want the amplification of the rightful criticism through their own doing with the top line announcement. if they were censoring they would delete a lot more than this.

quite frankly I do not believe EN is paying much attention to what's going on in the forums considering how long it took them to close that thread to begin with and the fact they let a lot of fairly harsh criticism stand unmoderated / uncommented...

• Level 5*

I doubt there is anything nefarious going on here.

Unfortunately, I don’t know the thread or posts we are discussing, but it should be noted that many of us users are automatically given administrative permissions, and posts are automatically promoted, so at least some of the behavior (moderation and promotion) may be attributable to something else. Staff are around and will moderate things according to the forum guidelines, but this is generally only tangentially related to any criticisms of the app. If you have criticism and post it according to the rules, it’ll be fine (in my experience).

• Level 5

I have posted quite some content her in the last years, others even more.

Be it critical or not - I have never experienced any censorship action, not against me and not against others. There were even "most liked posts" from me selected with content that was critical on EN, especially in the last weeks. User action, no intervention from the forum mods. 

The only posts I have experienced to be deleted (to some deletions I have contributed) was obvious spam, posted across the forum with no real content or with a plain economical background (= pure ads).

That the discussion here can be lively is another issue, but who goes to the kitchen has to accept the heat.