Same problem, I foolishly updated and now ALL my notes are view-only.

I don't have Evernote open on any other devices. I tried reinstalling, logging in and out, etc. I can't attach an activity log because Evernote claims there are no logs.

• 2 months later...

This happened to me today after I was updated to Evernote 10.1.7 (v 10.1.7 build 1902 public, Editor: v109.0.14125, Service: v1.20.26).

After the update, many of my existing notes have been set as View Only.  I found that I can get around this by adding a Tag to the note (thanks to a thread on the same issue reported here for iOS), but it's still an annoying bug.  Hopefully a fix for Windows will be available soon.

On 1/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, Andy Wybenga said:

This happened to me today after I was updated to Evernote 10.1.7 (v 10.1.7 build 1902 public, Editor: v109.0.14125, Service: v1.20.26).

The latest version is 10.6.9. I have no idea why you have been updated to 10.1.7. I would update to the latest version and perhaps try the web version which should automatically be upto date.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Mike P said:

The latest version is 10.6.9. I have no idea why you have been updated to 10.1.7. I would update to the latest version and perhaps try the web version which should automatically be upto date.

Thanks for the tip Mike!  I did a "Check for Updates" when the problem happened to see if there was a fix, but it told me that 10.1.7 is the newest version available.  I've manually downloaded 10.6.9, and the problem seems to have gone away.

I don't know how I ended up on an older version of Evernote. My computer did a reboot due to Windows updates, and there was a message saying my Evernote had been updated when I logged back in,  and it had me at version 10.1.7.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

I just got this "View Only" issue on 6.26.2021 on an Evernote Basic note on my Android phone. Have not yet ck'd it out on my Mac as I am afraid it will sync. I do not remember updating it this week.  Please help.

• Like 2

I just started seeing this behavior on version 10.12 on Android. What's weird is that I just used it this morning for the first time in weeks/months to update the same note I'm now unable to update. Force quitting the app and clearing cache didn't make a difference.

• Like 1

Also got "View Only" issue on 6.27.2021 on Evernote Basic on a 6-months old Samsung Galaxy/Android phone running version 10.12.   Constantlly restarting PHONE then app will allow note editing for several minutes, then notes return to View only.   How can I  disable the View Only mode?

I'm an Evernote user since 2013 & it always worked flawlessly until the update to the awful ver. 10.

I'm seeing the same behavior as others. I'll be able to edit the note sometimes but not others. It's worth noting that I'm able to edit the note in question on the web while it's still locked in the Android app, so the issue seems to live at the mobile app level and not on the back-end.

Can we PLEASE GET A STAFF MEMBER TO ADDRESS THIS?    I also got "View Only" issue on 6.27.2021 on Evernote Basic on a 6-months old Samsung Galaxy/Android phone running version 10.12.   Constantly restarting PHONE then app will allow note editing for several minutes, then notes return to View only.   Any fix for this intolerable behavior?  Or can I permanently disable the View Only mode?  The "Edit Protection" function is turned OFF (not ticked) in Settings.

I'm an Evernote user since 2013 & it always worked flawlessly until the initial update to the awful ver. 10.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No, we probably can’t expect this. EN staff only rarely shows up in the forum.

From the number of posts mentioning it, I am pretty sure that EN support is triggered on this already.

A fix most likely means a new release. Since the notes are not permanently locked, I think it will be treated with a regular release. The next one will probably be published in 3-4 weeks, since 10.12 just hit the AppStores last week.

As a workaround (at least for me on iOS) the note usually unlocks after I closed and reopened it.

• Evernote Expert

We seem to have switched forums... The most recent comments seem to relate to the Android application. I'm not aware of anyone reporting this behaviour in the Windows desktop but I expect them to chip in anytime soon.

This issue is being discussed in the Android forum and a staff member has pitched in to say they are aware.