Note duplication "We found more than one version..."

This has occurred four or five times on Evernote for Mac 10.1 or 10.2 (10.2.4) since v10 went public. When editing a note, some error in syncing will cause the note to be duplicated and I receive the notification "We found more than one version of {Note Title}. You can view the alternate here." This then requires me to compare the notes to establish the desired note with all edits. 

Never had this problem in the <10 version. Long-time heavy user. I have minor complaints with v10 (the only other major one being it's relative slowness), and really appreciate some of the new features, but surely the sync should be reliable!

• Like 1

Same issue. Long time user and loved it for well over a year. Just upgraded and am trying to migrate notebooks from other platforms and I'm up to like 10+ duplicates that I keep deleting. It also seems to be dropping the additional content I bring over. It is like it is just refreshing what was uploaded to the server within the first minute of creating the notebook and dropping any additional changes.

12 hours ago, BClarke said:

Same issue. Long time user and loved it for well over a year. Just upgraded and am trying to migrate notebooks from other platforms and I'm up to like 10+ duplicates that I keep deleting. It also seems to be dropping the additional content I bring over. It is like it is just refreshing what was uploaded to the server within the first minute of creating the notebook and dropping any additional changes.

I understand performance issues because I have 8.000+ notes (been with Evernote for a while) but my content is already synced locally. ALSO - Evernote is actively reverting all my changes/formatting. I've tried multiple/different notes as well as copy/pasting content from old note to new note, and it's just untennable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Level 5

Once a week does not point to a basic problem with sync - sync happens hundreds of times a day.

Once a week points more to an issue with the usage, like keeping a note open and editing it on more than one device at the same time. Maybe there are other drivers for duplication. Always keep in mind that EN treats the whole note as one sync entity - the larger it gets, the more likely are syncing problems.

On 9/24/2021 at 7:18 PM, PinkElephant said:

Once a week points more to an issue with the usage, like keeping a note open and editing it on more than one device at the same time

That's just it, I don't keep notes open for editing on more than one device at a time. Typically what happens is I edit a note on my Mac, and when I leave the house and check the note later on my iPhone (bearing in mind that EN is typically not running in the background), I get a note conflict. This also happens in reverse.

Mind you it doesn't happen every time, but often enough (which is why I said 'at least once a week' - it can and has been more) that the persistence becomes a bit of an irritant.

At home I use  wifi with VPN; outside mobile service with VPN. Shouldn't make any difference, and as far as I can see when closing EN, it indicates sync has been completed.

I now sync the iPhone before leaving the house to cut down on the conflicts, but even then there are times that after desktop sync, the iPhone doesn't receive the edited note when EN is launched. If that occurs, I have to kill and relaunch the app, which usually fixes that issue.

FWIW

• Level 5

My experience with syncing was that if there was a lag, it was in downsyncing. A note that had synced to the server took a while to reach the other devices.

I have not observed this in the last weeks any more, and EN staff said they improved something about it.

Did you try the syncing option of the iOS client to encourage a server communication ?

I am getting "more than one version" a lot in the last few days.  If EverNote can identify these, it would be nice to have some help seeing the difference.  Since this problem has been around for a while, it would be nice to see a comparison of the 2, 3 or more versions with changes highlighted.

This happens to me while using the current version.  In some cases there may be another, older (6.25), version, which is running but completely idle.

I'm a long time EverNote user.  Over years I have only had EverNote trash a note once or twice.  It's still very unnerving when it gets mixed up and, in this case, keeps old versions.  Historically, EverNote did an excellent job sync'ing changes.  For one thing, it would be nice to get back the manual Sync option.

• Level 5

There is no tool to compare versions. If it is a longer text, you could export it to a tool that allows to compare 2 documents. This could be MS Word, Apple Pages or Open / Libre Office, for example.

In general keeping more than 1 client open can lead to syncing conflicts and note duplication. If possible you should avoid it - although I usually have 3-4 clients open when working, and don’t experience duplication.

After I posted my above msg, I shutdown the other instance I had running.  A bit later (a few minutes ago), I edited a Note -- as I was doing that, I saw several new instances appear in the list.  I suppose the only thing being sync'ed to at that moment would be the cloud version.  I could see incremental changes in the different duplicates.  It's like they were snapshots taken every few seconds that somehow got promoted to being Notes.

I have been running both instances for years.  I tend to be editing two different sets of Notes.  I do that partially to avoid sync'ing problems, though I don't think I've ever had one.  These duplicates often happen as I'm typing; sometimes I find a duplicate when I've been away and haven't edited anything.

Thanks

I have a Personal (Premium) account. I also have been getting "more than one version" and only have Evernote open/active on my MacBook (M1 Chip). VERY frustrating. Yesterday I deleted 4 "versions" of a note I was working on.

• Like 1

Just throwing my "me too" into the ring.  In my case I rarely use any client other than the one on my mac and can say I haven't used the other's in several months.  So, from a single client I'll frequently (maybe every other day or so, but sometimes multiple times in a day) get this message.  I typically just merge them all and move on, but it is rather annoying when I don't notice it happened.

• Like 1
On 10/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, JMCook said:

Just throwing my "me too" into the ring.  In my case I rarely use any client other than the one on my mac and can say I haven't used the other's in several months.  So, from a single client I'll frequently (maybe every other day or so, but sometimes multiple times in a day) get this message.  I typically just merge them all and move on, but it is rather annoying when I don't notice it happened.

Adding my me too to the chorus. Ten year premium user and have never had this happen before two to three weeks ago. Yesterday I realized that EN had created eighteen (!!) copies of one note that I use relatively frequently only on my desktop. Other than that one, in several other instances I've gotten a notification that copies have been created while I'm working on the note. When I check, I find EN has created two or three duplicates of the note. Needless to say, bothersome, although it does appear that the note that I am working in retains all of my edits.

• Level 5

No idea what is going on.

From my experience (and I nearly never have this issue) it happens more often when there is a long text note that you edit. Especially when you edit it near the end of the note - I think it just does not finish one syncing cycle before the next one starts.

Most of my notes are rather short, and this may explain why I don't experience this problem.

If you are working on long text notes as well, maybe try if it improves when you split them up in shorter segments. You can use a TOC note with links to all others, plus links between the notes to keep them together.

This duplication is at least a daily occurrence.

As far as Note size goes - one instance of this was on a note of sparse 10 lines.  The duplicates had captured various versions as I typed.

And, as @emtothegee  experienced, the note I was typing in was fine.  If I see it happening I can safely trash the new duplicates.  If I find them later, I have to work out which to keep.  Bothersome, indeed.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ChrisA124 said:

As far as Note size goes - one instance of this was on a note of sparse 10 lines.  The duplicates had captured various versions as I typed.

Same for me re. size -- not related. It's possible that it's occurring only with notes that I have pinned as shortcuts — I've only just realized that and will have to pay closer attention going forward to see if that's true.

I have also been having problems for the past month. While I'm working on one note, I will suddenly get a notification that there is an alternate version of a note I'm working on. I will also see that there are at least 5 duplicated notes, which I have to delete to avoid clutter. Is there a fix for this? If there isn't, I hope it gets addressed soon.