What happened to screen clip feature? It's not working since an update.

I have been using Evernote Premium for years.  One of the features I liked the most was the ability to capture a screen clip on demand with a keystroke.  Now, that function is not working.  I use Windows 10.  Did something change?  I cannot find that option anywhere on the menu.  I have tried to read about this in the online forums but cannot find a direct answer.  

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
On 11/1/2020 at 10:14 PM, pteel said:

I have been using Evernote Premium for years.  One of the features I liked the most was the ability to capture a screen clip on demand with a keystroke.  Now, that function is not working.  I use Windows 10.  Did something change?  I cannot find that option anywhere on the menu.  I have tried to read about this in the online forums but cannot find a direct answer.  

Hi.  Are you clipping web pages or other apps?  The web clipper should still work,  and if v10 isn't allowing screen grabs,  there are other utilities for Windows 10 that will image all or part of the desktop and generate a PNG or JPG to attach to a note.

It's not really a solution to say "use other software" to do screen grabs. I want to be able to clip from various windows desktop apps, where use of the web clipper isnt an option. For example, I would clip data from Family Tree Maker into my Genealogy Notebook, so I could refer to it when I'd switched away from it, and I want to take a clip of a number of cells from Excel or MS Access to save database work to a Notebook - and there are many other examples using other non-web apps. Even the web clipper isn't a full solution for web-based clipping, as some web pages disable clipping - for example my banking app - but I could always use the desktop clipper.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
On 11/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, pteel said:

Clipping from the desktop app (referred to as Capture) or the browser (referred to as clipper)?  Did you just update to Windows 10.3 Evernote?

I am using the Desktop version 10.2.4 which shows as the latest version when I did "check for updates" just now. I did notice a reference to Screenshot in the release comment for 10.2.4 when I did that check - but the right click on the taskbar no longer gives me the screenshot option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:14 PM, pteel said:

Totally agree...I clip web, excel sheets,  parts of a pdf...So much...I cannot believe they drop it..I have web clipper not the same

It is perhaps worth outlining exactly what the functionaility is because the 6.25 screen clipping functionaility is much more than just a screen shot. Having said that I don't think there is anything that can not be done in the new version in combination with native Windows 10 tools. It's just alot slower and less convenient. Here is a list of functions

clip screenshot. This has been implemented in V10 although there are some odd behaviours. In addition the ctrl  and shift modifiers which copy the content to the clip board or file do not work. (The contents of the screen shot are always copied to the clipboard but I have not found a way of preventibng the creation of  a new note). This can also be done with the Windows native screen shot facility or another app like Gladwin printscreen.

copy selection. This copies whatever you have selected directly to a new EN note. It's a very convenient way of capturing information. Given that many things take more key strokes in V10 than in 6.25 it should not surprise us that this is no longer available. The work around is obviously ctrl-C, open evernote, create new note, ctrl-V

paste to evernote. This copies the contents of the clipboard to a new note even if EN is not maximised. Again the workaround is open a new note and paste.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I am still having issue with the capture selection in mac. I even installed it from the evernote webpage instead of app store. But it now creates a new notes everytime I do the capture selection instead of implementing it in the quick note. Could you please fix the issue ?

• 2 months later...

The old Evernote I've been using since 2008 was just about perfect. Why in the world would Evernote stop the screen clipping function. I can't live without that feature. For now thankfully I can still get it using the Legacy version, but I fear that will go away soon. For that matter ver 10 is just worse all the way around. Please don't fix what ain't broke.

• Like 2
On 3/20/2021 at 4:41 PM, nuny said:

Why in the world would Evernote stop the screen clipping function. I can't live without that feature

Which particular aspects are you missing? Quite alot of the functionaility is there now but not all. I am using either the windows 10 built in screen clip functionality or an external utility for some functions. One could argue that it is a waste of EN's time to introduce something in EN which is already on the computer.

• Like 1

I've tried and failed to use several alternative screen clipping tools, including the built-in windows snipping tool / snip and sketch - as well as anything offered in OneNote. The big advantage of the old evernote one was a simple ability to right click on the icon in the taskbar, then drag to do a clip of a portion of the screen directly into a new note. That could be a few cells of a spreadsheet or database, some words from a magazine article presented in a dedicated app, a section of a picture in a photo-processing program etc.

All of that could be done with leaving the spreadsheet / database / other program you were working on - and then you can go around and tidy things later in Evernote knowing your clips will be waiting for you.

Anything web-based doesn't hack it, and the app based alternatives end up being too clumsy / too many keystrokes - surely a key requirement for a note-taking environment.

55 minutes ago, RedAnt said:

Anything web-based doesn't hack it, and the app based alternatives end up being too clumsy / too many keystrokes - surely a key requirement for a note-taking environment.

I don't really understand why alt-ctrl-S is not meeting your needs. Or click the elephant icon and then the capture screen icon.

So here is the major change that makes the new capture go from a killer feature to worthless.

In the old version, I could capture a part of the screen.  In the new version I can still do that, although it feels a bit clunkier.

In the old version, whatever notebook I was currently working in would receive the new note with the image and would automatically open the annotation window.

In the new version the note gets created in a "default" notebook (I can find no way to change this behavior, or even to change the default notebook) and I have to go find it and drag it to the notebook I want it in, then open the note, then right click and choose annotate.  I could probably do it quicker using native windows screen shots and cropping out what I want.  As people realize that, the value of evernote drops.

So lets discuss it in terms management will understand...money.

Using the free version of evernote just for text notes, it would be very difficult for any user to reach the monthly max data usage.  Hitting that mark is probably the main way evernote gets users to convert to paying customers.  That is what worked for me.  Pictures are much bigger than text notes.  So anything that discourages or hinders users from storing as many images as possible in evernote is directly decreasing revenue.

Making clipper less functional and then encouraging users to use other software to work around it is directly decreasing revenue.

If enough users get fed up, a new app company will crop up that makes clipping easier and they will take that market share away from evernote pretty quickly.  If they also offer a path to migrate existing notebook from evernote I will sign up tomorrow, as will many of your users.  That market share will never come back.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, davethegeek said:

.  So anything that discourages or hinders users from storing as many images as possible in evernote is directly decreasing revenue.

Making clipper less functional and then encouraging users to use other software to work around it is directly decreasing revenue.

If enough users get fed up, a new app company will crop up that makes clipping easier and they will take that market share away from evernote pretty quickly.  If they also offer a path to migrate existing notebook from evernote I will sign up tomorrow, as will many of your users.  That market share will never come back.

I couldn't agree more. What is happening? Have you all lost your minds and decided to just change things for the sake of change? 

I didn't have an option here. I went to make a note and was taken to downgrade to the newest version without having a choice. Previously I had custom buttons where I wanted them so I could work efficiently. As mentioned above, capturing and annotating are a huge part of how I use Evernote. I had previosly created a notebook called "scratchpad" for random clips to be sorted later when I wasn't working on a specific project like capturing graphs of customer bandwidth utilization and emailing them to customers while handling trouble tickets, or browsing new recipes, or shopping for christmas, etc. Now I can't even figure out WHY it saves to that folder other than it was already set that way. And it's the only folder I can save to. There is no option to change it at all. 

For a while I thought you removed the capture capability entirely. But instead of a simple right-click/select full screen or a selected area, I have to click the icon, click a little monitor, capture what I want, open evernote, go to the folder, move it where I want it......just a lot more work. more clicks and more space between the clicks to do less.......

Why in the world would you make any change that makes anything more difficult? 
Why do I have to dig through menus to do things that I was able to put a custom button at the top for before? 

Why are there so few options in the settings compared to before? 

If you all are just bored and feeling like you have to keep busy to justify your time....making changes for the sake of justifying the job.... why not improve things that need improving instead of breaking things that work well? Maybe give us more control over the arrow size in annotation? allow for the option to have a menu pop up after capturing to choose which notebook to save the capture to....

You know....make it EASIER to use, not more difficult. More features....not less. 

As pointed out above, you've made it more difficult to capture images, and because of that, reducing the number of people who will upgrade.

16 hours ago, davethegeek said:

In the old version, whatever notebook I was currently working in would receive the new note with the image and would automatically open the annotation window.

I don't want either of those options. For me putting a screenclip into the notebook that happens to be open is non-sensical and would circumvent my entire "tag and file" organisation system.

16 hours ago, davethegeek said:

or even to change the default notebook)

In the main notebooks screen right click the notebook or use the three dots menu

image.png.1ed07b1ad35c72e6ec3af19a978f9419.png

2 hours ago, kfreels said:

But instead of a simple right-click/select full screen or a selected area, I have to click the icon, click a little monitor, capture what I want, open evernote, go to the folder, move it where I want it......just a lot more work. more clicks and more space between the clicks to do less.......

The shortcut (alt-ctrl-S) helps but you still need to select the clipping area. I would like to be able to hit enter at that stage to capture the whole screen.

Please explain your tag and file system. I am interested to know how it could be MORE useful to take a clip and have it go to some other notebook than the  one i am taking notes in.  

They should have added an additional option for your case, not removed the  much more functional way it worked already. 

For those like me who this is killing our productivity, I found another screen capture app that works like the old functionality. It was called jing but is now called Techsmith capture. Perhaps evernote could integrate with that app so tge captures drop into s note without me having to open a note and paste. but at least i have my easy annotations back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, davethegeek said:

Please explain your tag and file system. I am interested to know how it could be MORE useful to take a clip and have it go to some other notebook than the  one i am taking notes in.  

The destination of the clip is defined in the options of the legacy version.

image.png.12eb5fa53fbd9b783bcda71895d5c729.png

As you can see I have it set up to always got to my default notebook rather than go to the current notebook (or the default notebook if you are in All Notes.

I frequently take screen clips when I'm not currently "taking notes" therefore I want the screen clip to go into my default notebook. Once a week I go through the notes in my default notebook, tag them and then move them into a notebook (99% of them go into the same notebook because I don't need multiple notebooks as I rely on tagging). 

My workflow is not "correct" anymore than your workflow is "wrong". They're just different. I obviously have no objection to an option (as in the Legacy). 

On 3/24/2021 at 3:49 AM, Mike P said:

I don't really understand why alt-ctrl-S is not meeting your needs. Or click the elephant icon and then the capture screen icon.

the problem with the "elephant icon" AKA web clipper is doesn't allow you to capture your "whole screen".  I.E., in at least Windows, you can't include the bottom taskbar which includes the computer generated date and time... especially helpful for validations of purchases and web payments.  And at the moment, the EN screen capture function isn't working. Sure, you can do this with 3 or 4 other ways, it is just not as seamless of a flow as it would be if done entirely from within EN.

41 minutes ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

the problem with the "elephant icon" AKA web clipper is doesn't allow you to capture your "whole screen".  I.E., in at least Windows, you can't include the bottom taskbar which includes the computer generated date and time... especially helpful for validations of purchases and web payments.  And at the moment, the EN screen capture function isn't working. Sure, you can do this with 3 or 4 other ways, it is just not as seamless of a flow as it would be if done entirely from within EN.

In case you were not aware, there are potentially two elephant icones: one that lives in your browser, which activates the web clipper. As you said, it does not capture the entire screen, only the content of the web page (likely intentionally, or possibly as a side-effect of the limitations in the browser extension API).

The second one is the Evernote helper icon, which on macOS lives in the menubar. On Windows it presumably lives in the system tray? Check out the help article, which describes its features:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005067-Use-Evernote-Helper-for-quick-notes-and-screenshots#:~:text=Write a quick text note&text=Quickly access Evernote Helper using,(Windows) on your keyboard.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JodyHeath.Com said:

the problem with the "elephant icon" AKA web clipper is doesn't allow you to capture your "whole screen".  I.E., in at least Windows, you can't include the bottom taskbar which includes the computer generated date and time..

As @Paul A.points out there are two elephant icons. I am clearly talking about alt-ctrl-S which is not the webclipper but the screen capture utility within the windows desktop app. You can capture the whole screen with that.

image.png.5deb30d803cf30e53388dcebb464d86f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, Mike P said:

Thanks Mike. I can confirm that alt-ctrl-S does what I need to capture from various places and save to a note.  It does seem to be something of an "undocumented feature" compared to the old right-click option, but it does the job.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I love this thread! The only thing stopping me from switching from my Premium Evernote account to a competitor was that Evernote had the screen capture feature, but this thread taught me how to reproduce the functionality in the open source app I am now going to switch to! Yay!

• Level 5

No idea what you are talking about, screen clipping works through the helper symbol in the task bar, or through ctrl-alt-S. The difference to other tools is that it directly creates a note from the screenshot. If for example preparing a training document, you can easily create a series of notes, each holding a screenshot. You then select the notes, merge them (you can even change the sequence) and get a note for training use. Just one example why the helper function may be useful.

If you don‘t find value in any subscription, cancel. You don‘t need an excuse to do so. Yay !

Edited by PinkElephant
Probably a Windows 11 problem, as pointed out by @agsteele
  • Evernote Expert
On 7/9/2022 at 4:20 AM, CVW said:

I love this thread! The only thing stopping me from switching from my Premium Evernote account to a competitor was that Evernote had the screen capture feature, but this thread taught me how to reproduce the functionality in the open source app I am now going to switch to! Yay!

Are you running Windows 11? Microsoft broke the Evernote screen clipper on Win 11. It still works as expected with Win 10. For now, use the Windows screen clip and paste into a new note.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for confirming what I had already figured out. The "clip screenshot" function does not exist in the new version.

That is why I am still using version 6.25.1.9091

If they force me to upgrade to version 10, then I will just cancel my subscription since the screenshot clipper is the function I use most.

image.png.885adccb53fce2b8c88b3e0d3d2dbc10.png

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, DeanB4 said:

If they force me to upgrade to version 10, then I will just cancel my subscription since the screenshot clipper is the function I use most.

Not following your logic - Windows 11 broke the screen clip option,  but has a clip feature of its own that is almost as good.  I made the change without an issue - but if you hate it,  you hate it;  cancelling is your choice.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, DeanB4 said:

Thanks for confirming what I had already figured out. The "clip screenshot" function does not exist in the new version.

That is why I am still using version 6.25.1.9091

image.png.885adccb53fce2b8c88b3e0d3d2dbc10.png

The clip screenshot (screen capture) function is alive and well in v. 10, and has been for over a year, as this thread shows. Ctrl+Alt+S (or click the elephant icon in the system tray, then select the screen icon), then use the cross-hairs to define the area to clip, and presto: new note containing the clipped area in your default notebook.

That's in Windows 10. Microsoft, out of whatever proportion of incompetence to spite, saw fit to disable this function entirely for Evernote in Windows 11, forcing us to use the Windows clipping tool. Nothing Evernote can do about that till Microsoft gets it straight (if ever). See:

• 1 month later...

I just upgraded to newest Evernote 10.45.18 from old 6.25 - which I stuck with so long because of Evernote's history of breaking good features and wrecking serviceable UX. Once again, they come through...

The old screen capture tool would capture individual full-screen clips in a multi-monitor setup. All I had to do was hotkey and single-click.

The new version does not. All three screens get covered by a grey modal, and clicking does nothing. Apparently I can only drag to clip a selected region; tedious when I just want the whole screen, up to the edges. Very poor UX.

Evernote - Hire me to work on product UX for the salary of two of your UX designers, and I'll give you the value of ten. In all seriousness, I'd be glad to do the job. Or are you simply not listening to your UX designers? Making changes for the sake of make-work? Completely disoriented? What is going on?

• Level 5*

Per @gazumpedShift+Win+S.  To get a single screen in a multi monitor set up you have to drag from one corner to the other or do a full screen mode and use the built in tool to crop the screen you want.  Neither of which is quite as convenient.  But the flexibility and clip  Window option makes it worth it, my view anyway.

• Like 2

@Dave-in-Decatur The UX does suck, and @gazumped EN didn't ruin my day, nor the last 13 years. It's been a very helpful tool - but the organizational failings in UI/UX design are glaringly obvious throughout the entire period, 2009 onwards, and I'll stick with my own judgment on that. Enough so that Evernote's failings, and many apps like it, were a primary motivation I began to learn design and software development 9 years ago.

It's not a Windows shortcoming (v10 BTW). As mentioned, I just upgraded EN from the "classic" version, which did indeed still give me hotkey + single-click full-screen clips, on any single one of my multi-monitor setup. EN v6.25 did that. EN new version does not. I understand there are workarounds; I think the regression in functionality is criticism- and complaint-worthy, given the functionality is proven possible and was previously implemented (and I've relied on it for thousands of clips).

And FYI Dave - I'm not "demanding" Evernote give me a job. I made an offer of my services for a price, not a demand. And I clearly made it to make a point, primarily - the frustration expressed in my previous message is clearly not an endearing way to charm H.R. Nonetheless, I made the offer in good faith, if someone from EN wants to take it seriously. I've had 15 years of vetting my UX sense against EN and other major apps, and I've got hundreds  of specific notes I could share. Those are both highly valuable assets. But my real hope is simply that a little verbal kick-in-the-pants might get through to someone at Evernote who can make a difference, as I do expect there must be a lot of good designers and developers there, probably hamstrung by bureaucracy and management.

• Level 5

@MountainMike, these really are almost entirely user-to-user forums. Evernote staff may and do scan over them, but they almost never respond to specific complaints or pants-kicks (or compliments or hugs) here. To get their attention, the best way is a support ticket or the feedback form that's available in the Web client on the drop-down when clicking your account name. For all I know, they may actually be hiring, but that would probably be somewhere on the main evernote.com front page. The public betas forums may offer more direct interaction with developers, and possibly even a chance to DM someone with your feedback.

As for the suckiness of the UX,  as you say, that's your own judgment. The rest of us may or may not agree on particular points, but dramatic and sweeping denunciations do tend to elevate hackles. Mine, at any rate, and probably because I tend to recognize the tendency in myself.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

For me the screenshot-to-note feature was critical, I used it every 10 minutes for work, so this regression in functionality is terrible for me.

I need that a note is directly created like in the old version.

I think I will not renew my paid plan and search for better options.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, CptWasp said:

this regression in functionality

Hi.  The only process I know in Legacy that creates a note as part of the process is the browser Clipper action to clip all or part of web pages.

Did you miss the options described above?  It is still possible to screen shot all or part of your display.  

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  The only process I know in Legacy that creates a note as part of the process is the browser Clipper action to clip all or part of web pages.

Did you miss the options described above?  It is still possible to screen shot all or part of your display.  

I used the old desktop app: I configured inside it a shortcut for the screenshot feature and I bound the same shortcut to a side button of my logitech mouse.

Pressing the button I took a screenshot dragging a rectangle with the mouse, and the captured image was silently converted to a note inside evernote.

With the new desktop client clicking opens the windows app, and saving the screenshot in evernote requires me to manually open the app, manually create a note, manually add the screenshot to the note. Is there a way to "share" the screenshot from the windows app to evernote directly?

• Level 5*

Wow - thanks for the question, because I just found a way to make my life easier too...  In my version of Windows 11,  hitting Fn+PrtScn pops up a little information windows that says screenshots are automatically saved to OneDrive in a folder called (sensibly) "screenshots".  If I add that as an Import Folder for Evernote,  one quick tap of the key automatically saves the result directly to my account.  Only main drawback is there's no option to select part if the screen.  This is a 100% view only.

I also see that I have nearly 200 prior screenshots I didn't previously know about...  :huh:

The reason I got there was that for some reason W11 broke a lot of screenshot 'standards' including Evernote's own built-in capture screen which defaults to Alt+Ctrl+S.  It is possible to edit that to a none-Windows combination,  but I can't find one that works on my Dell.  If you're running W10 you may have better luck.

The shortcut referred to above Shift+Win+S allows free choice and puts the clip on the clipboard.  Ctrl+N will open a new note / settings will let you default to starting it in the body rather than the title,  so pasting the clip should be immediate.  A text expander like Phrase Express would let you assign all of that to a parent keystroke (not sure about a mouse).

More research may be necessary to find a combo that works the way you need it to,  but meantime if you feed your needs back to Evernote via a support ticket they may be able to add it in future...

25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Wow - thanks for the question, because I just found a way to make my life easier too...  In my version of Windows 11,  hitting Fn+PrtScn pops up a little information windows that says screenshots are automatically saved to OneDrive in a folder called (sensibly) "screenshots".  If I add that as an Import Folder for Evernote,  one quick tap of the key automatically saves the result directly to my account.  Only main drawback is there's no option to select part if the screen.  This is a 100% view only.

I also see that I have nearly 200 prior screenshots I didn't previously know about...  :huh:

The reason I got there was that for some reason W11 broke a lot of screenshot 'standards' including Evernote's own built-in capture screen which defaults to Alt+Ctrl+S.  It is possible to edit that to a none-Windows combination,  but I can't find one that works on my Dell.  If you're running W10 you may have better luck.

The shortcut referred to above Shift+Win+S allows free choice and puts the clip on the clipboard.  Ctrl+N will open a new note / settings will let you default to starting it in the body rather than the title,  so pasting the clip should be immediate.  A text expander like Phrase Express would let you assign all of that to a parent keystroke (not sure about a mouse).

More research may be necessary to find a combo that works the way you need it to,  but meantime if you feed your needs back to Evernote via a support ticket they may be able to add it in future...

Thank you for your suggestion I will try it

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Starting from your suggestion (but I use a compact keyboard without prtscn!) I have found a perfect solution for me.

Bind your mouse to WIN+SHIFT+S

Select Screenshots as import folder in Evernote settings (after moving away old screenshots!)

Now when you click your mouse button you can quick select the type of screenshot (even free mode) and it will be imported right away in Evernote. Better than before.

Hope this helps other users as well.

See you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Interesting. Does this only work if you have OneDrive set up and running? I don't, and on my Windows 10 laptop I don't have any folder called Screenshots. I don't even see any way to automatically save screenshots (made with Win+Shift+S) to any particular folder.

52 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Interesting. Does this only work if you have OneDrive set up and running? I don't, and on my Windows 10 laptop I don't have any folder called Screenshots. I don't even see any way to automatically save screenshots (made with Win+Shift+S) to any particular folder.

sorry only for Win11

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

The problem is known for Win 11. It’s not an EN issue, it is caused by Windows.

It's implementation related because with the old version of Evernote it worked smoothly. For sure Windows added the new tool for screenshots, but it is fully compatible with Evernote legacy.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

What proves ?

Screen Clip works on Win10, and stops when you upgrade to Win 11. That’s the current status.

Yes, because Evernote is doing it in the wrong way (indeed the other client works).

Evernote is a desktop client for windows, if certified for Win11 it should work with Win11. The old client works with Win11, and the new client is broken.

• Level 5

Sure, it’s broken if you say so. 

Be happy with your conclusion. I am on a Mac and follow the rollout of this beta OS called Win11 with amazement since quite a while. And I won’t discuss the finer aspects of the interaction between any OS with EN with you, you don’t want to know it anyhow.

As I said, just be happy as it is.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

Only the best ...

We get a serious OS update every year, but funnily they usually don't break things. Maybe it is because Apple is more radical about old code in the OS. They usually give the devs 2 years, the users get notifications, and then it's over with the old app.

But anybody knows what's going to happen, and can arrange for it. 32bit apps got discontinued completely some years ago, for example.

• Evernote Expert
On 5/29/2023 at 3:33 PM, CptWasp said:

Bind your mouse to WIN+SHIFT+S

Select Screenshots as import folder in Evernote settings (after moving away old screenshots!)

Now when you click your mouse button you can quick select the type of screenshot (even free mode) and it will be imported right away in Evernote. Better than before.

Hope this helps other users as well.

I don't use OneDrive and I discovered that my screenshots are saved in C:\Users\my_user_name\Pictures\Screenshots So I connected that as an Import Folder and now Win+Shift+S performs exactly as the Evernote shortcut. So even better than what I did before.

I added the screen shot folder to my batch files that cleans out my Import Folders on a daily basis so old screenshots are removed. Which is a good thing since I have a gB or more just sitting taking space that I didn't know about ;)

Thanks @CptWasp

• Like 2
On 5/29/2023 at 7:44 PM, CptWasp said:

sorry only for Win11

nope - just tried on Win10 (without OneDrive):

There is / was a system-Folder like "P:\Eigene Bilder\Screenshots", allready prefilled with some older Win10-Screenshots. Every new (free) screenshot with Shift+Win+S not only gets to clipboard. It gets automatically saved my / this system folder as well.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, HeBoIz said:

nope - just tried on Win10 (without OneDrive):

There is / was a system-Folder like "P:\Eigene Bilder\Screenshots", allready prefilled with some older Win10-Screenshots. Every new (free) screenshot with Shift+Win+S not only gets to clipboard. It gets automatically saved my / this system folder as well.

Odd, I literally searched my entire laptop and could not find a folder called "Screenshots" in Win10. But since Evernote's Ctrl+Alt+S works to create a note from a screen clip in Win10, I'm good. But I will save @CptWasp's tip for when I eventually get to Win11.

Are you not using the taskbar helper screen shot utility?  You might have to bind to a different key combination because Microsoft hijacked it.

image.png.43e3179de8f6ed41892aaeda9d0a4dd0.png

Recently i can't add shortcuts to notes on my home screen. Android 12 on OnePlus 9 pro and free version.

The button is still there but the app just shuts down when pressing it.

Have they removed it again?! #sadAF

• Level 5

@Fredsson Read the threat in which you posted ?

It's about Windows. Not Android.

It's about keyboard shortcuts. Not dropping a note on a home screen.

It's not about what you ask, and it's the wrong place to expect an answer. We could at least expect the courtesy to read into the thread (it could contain useful information in the end ...) instead of simply dropping an unrelated post somewhere, trying to hijack the tread.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have read this thread for many weeks to try to find the same screenclip features I used to have with Evernote "legacy".

BTW, Thanks for all those that shared their thoughts and hints.

As mentionned by many, the latest version of evernote of Windows 11 definitely lack the an integrated screenclip tool to quickly: 

A/ take a screenshot and add it in Evernote with my current used tag

B/ take a screenshot and copy it in memory

C/ take a screenshot and add it on the desktop

Using the import folder hint, I am able to partially reproduce scenario A (take a screenshot  and add it in Evernote but no automated tagging). Scenario B & C does not work at all.

With the import folder hint, yverything is imported in Evernote. Therefore, the number of notes of imported screenclip is "polluting" my Evernote and I need to tag manually my screenclips... Of course, I can do it but wasting few minutes everyday to do something that used to be automatic is frustrating, slow down productivity and make you lose track of your meeting screenclips if you forget to do the tagging manually.

Not so much compatible anymore with the GTD mindset that brought me to Evernote in the first place...

I'm still hoping I am missing something here which would mean there a way to replicate A, B & C in an easy way... and would be happy to have your feedback on how to do these scenarios...

I tried many things... including screenpresso, "import folder", praying in church... nothing work. 

I don't think I'm the only one that see this last Evernote version 10.x being more painful than useful... After waiting nearly 3 years that Evernote provide back this feature, it's pretty much obvious that Evernote is not anymore the solution for users often doing screenshots... (which I would think mean a lot of users doing Team & Zoom calls. which is.... a lot of people).

If it's not possible to reproduce scenarios A, B & C with Evernote on Win 11, is there a competitive solution that would do it?

Edited by vinceParis

Thanks for your reply. I must be missing something obvious here because I can't find the equivalent to scenario A & B.

Let me recap my setup: Win 11 + window embedded screenclip capture tool 11.3205.26.

If I type Shift + Win + S, I do have the screenclip capture tool starting to clip an area/window/fullscreen. The screen capture is then available in memory so scenario B is OK... but I then need to open Evernote, create a note, tag it, copy the screen capture. Nothing as fast as it used to be and definitely not scenario A.

The closest I can get from scenario A is by setting the screen capture tool to automatically save the screen capture and then set Evernote to create a new note based on the new files in the directory used bey the screen capture tool. Like I said in my previous post, it misses the automatic tagging that were available before and create unnecessary note when I want to just copy in memory a screen capture (Ctrl + Alt + S, then Ctrl if my memory is right).

It seems to me that's the way it is but maybe you have a different experience.

• 4 months later...

" I set the destination for screen clips as an Import Folder. That way all clips go to a new note"

how do you do this? 

also, do you know if Evernote is trying to bring back the very useful clipping tool directly in the windows tray?

• 3 weeks later...

Found a solution; I long ago set Alt-F as my Evernote keyboard shortcut for Global Capture Screen (in the EN Shortcuts menu) It stopped working after I updated to Win 11; now the Windows Snipping Tool pops up instead.

Here's the workaround:

1 press keys Alt-F
2 left click on New in the Snipping Tool (note there are options for setting the clipped area)
3 draw outline on screen with mouse left button and let go to clip it
4 in the resulting popup of the clip in the Snipping window, click on the X in the upper right corner to close the popup
5 Then the new note with screen clip will appear in EN.

This adds two steps, 2 and 4, to the process!
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, Paddytc said:

Found a solution; I long ago set Alt-F as my Evernote keyboard shortcut for Global Capture Screen (in the EN Shortcuts menu) It stopped working after I updated to Win 11; now the Windows Snipping Tool pops up instead.

Here's the workaround:

1 press keys Alt-F
2 left click on New in the Snipping Tool (note there are options for setting the clipped area)
4 in the resulting popup of the clip in the Snipping window, click on the X in the upper right corner to close the popup

This is a well-known, longstanding issue (as the thread shows), caused by Windows, not Evernote. But that's a good trick, if others can confirming it working universally in Windows 11, since it eliminates one or more further intermediate steps, such as saving to an import folder. (It doesn't work in Windows 10.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

if others can confirm it working...

Well "my gracious" (or words to that effect) - thanks @Paddytc for the tip!

In my case the Evernote standard Alt-Ctrl-S to capture a screen gives me something that looks like the Windows snipping tool - but it shows a message that I need to use Shift-Win-S to start a Windows clip. (It's possible to edit or disable the shortcut)

Previously I've been lazy and defaulted using to the Windows version which captured the screen area I wanted and from where I could paste or save to a note or file as necessary.

However if I use Alt-Ctrl-S and - as posted above - click New,  draw my outline,  and hit 'x',  the clipped image is in a new note!  Outstanding!!  My first new Evernote trick this year.  :)

EDIT:  Sorry - should have said - Evernote 10.72.2 and Win 11

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 2:43 PM, Paddytc said:

Here's the workaround:

1 press keys Alt-F

I had submitted this issue as a bug to Evernote Support recently and their reply was that the could not replicate the "problem".  I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't just the way they now intend this feature to work.  I have found the above to work, unless I had another screen capture program running in the background - I use Snaggit, and unless I ended the task via Task Manager, Snaggit would intercept the capture.  If I did go ahead and "End Task" for Snaggit, the above procedure worked as described.

• Evernote Expert

The problem, for Evernote, is that Microsoft changed the ways its own screen clipping process works.  It means that when you choose the Evernote shortcut (Alt+Ctrl+S) this is trapped by Windows and launches the OS screen clip.

The workarounds either use the OS shortcut, Win+Shift+S and the various pasting into a note or saving in an import folder, or this newly identified option of using the Evernote shortcut and then clicking on the stages suggested a post or two above. This latter seems to be way things work now.

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

The problem, for Evernote, is that Microsoft changed the ways its own screen clipping process works.  It means that when you choose the Evernote shortcut (Alt+Ctrl+S) this is trapped by Windows and launches the OS screen clip.

The workarounds either use the OS shortcut, Win+Shift+S and the various pasting into a note or saving in an import folder, or this newly identified option of using the Evernote shortcut and then clicking on the stages suggested a post or two above. This latter seems to be way things work now.

Do you think that maybe Evernote has chosen to utilize the Windows Snipping Tool as its way to do screen captures in Windows 11 so that Evernote doesn't have to write and support the code for its own version?  With Bending Spoons emphasis on streamlining code and standardizing things, this might be a possibility.

• Evernote Expert

No. It was present until Microsoft issued a Windows 11 update and then the Evernote clipper was trapped by Windows.  It is possible, I suppose, that Evernote might be able to do something to work around the Windows issue but it was originally caused by Microsoft.

21 minutes ago, agsteele said:

No. It was present until Microsoft issued a Windows 11 update and then the Evernote clipper was trapped by Windows.  It is possible, I suppose, that Evernote might be able to do something to work around the Windows issue but it was originally caused by Microsoft.

It seems a little odd that other screen capture utilities don't have this "problem" (e.g. Gadwin, Snaggit) with Windows 11.

• Evernote Expert

Things are as they are. You could try asking Evernote support for an explanation but I'm not sure anything useful would emerge. I suspect that other utilities have done the work necessary or were clipping by a different process. But that really is conjecture on my part. We know the Microsoft made a change in Windows 11 which caused the issue and that nothing has been done subsequently to change things for Evernote.

To be honest the use of the Windows screen clipper process - Win+Shift+S - works just as well as the previous process within Evernote. Especially if you set
c:\Users\YourWindowsUserID\Pictures\Screenshot tro be an Import Folder in Evernote.  When I clip with this set up it is exactly as the old Evernote process except for different keystrokes. The newer suggestion from @Paddytc has the advantage that it only directs clips intended for Evernote but it does have a couple of additional mouse clicks.

• 5 weeks later...

So, for current Windows 11 users,  the interim solution is to buy a Mac, purchase all new software in Mac versions and then migrate all data to the new machine in order to successfully do screen captures in Evernote.